Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Rexxe

Unfortunately, I cannot get rid of the off-gassing (tried cleaning, leaving it on for multiple sessions without herb, etc.) and it is just continuously producing this gas. Who knows what it is (glue? silicone?), but it doesn't smell too good and can't be good to inhale. I just sent them an email to return it for a refund. Really bummed.

Pickz

Vapes on vapes on vapes!
I have been getting a constant stream of off gassing during my burn off period. It still has battery so I'm going to keep doing it until it dies. I have to work soon so I'll charge it while I'm working and see how it is when I get home.

Edit: The temp keeps dropping on it's own and I'm turning it off and on and it will raise back to 430. I see less gas being produced, but I'm not sure if it's because it's not getting up to temp or not.

Last edited:
Pickz,
Reactions: Hexi

Skulduggery

I keep reading this forum in hopes of a miracle reassurance that my stealth is safe cos I want to use it again, it is a beautiful effective piece of machinery. The reality is however, it's most likely not safe, its not all GonG and davinci does not have the resources to confirm its safety, nor do most of us without proper research lab equipment. Unfortunately, even if my ascent stops visible off gassing from an empty bowl...invisible, tasteless poisonous off gases could, and probably do, still exist. Even if DV gives us the identity of the silicone compound, the burn off may not be from the black rubber, it could be the underside of the white plastic bowl, a wire sheath like thesoloman said, or something completely else. I want to believe it'll work out, like most of you, but this desire may be blinding us to realize the sad truth that using the ascent may pose a serious health risk.

Only reassurance is that the popular flower of use, does eat cancer. (As a neurochemist i can attest its a well known scientific fact in my field). So maybe the cancer fighting properties of a filled bowl can offset the mystery poison gas run off by the ascent. Lol.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I keep reading this forum in hopes of a miracle reassurance that my stealth is safe cos I want to use it again, it is a beautiful effective piece of machinery. The reality is however, it's most likely not safe, its not all GonG and davinci does not have the resources to confirm its safety, nor do most of us without proper research lab equipment. Unfortunately, even if my ascent stops visible off gassing from an empty bowl...invisible, tasteless poisonous off gases could, and probably do, still exist. Even if DV gives us the identity of the silicone compound, the burn off may not be from the black rubber, it could be the underside of the white plastic bowl, a wire sheath like thesoloman said, or something completely else. I want to believe it'll work out, like most of you, but this desire may be blinding us to realize the sad truth that using the ascent may pose a serious health risk.

Only reassurance is that the popular flower of use, does eat cancer. (As a neurochemist i can attest its a well known scientific fact in my field). So maybe the cancer fighting properties of a filled bowl can offset the mystery poison gas run off by the ascent. Lol.

A very well reasoned post. But supposition nonetheless.

I would very much appreciate some web URL's and/or citations concerning the cancer fighting properties. TIA

Snappo,

Laukia

"and the problems are all correctable"

Even if the off gassing smell goes away (which I doubt), how can using 2x the amount of herb (oversized, too deep bowl) to produce weak, thin or non existant vapor be corrected?

After all this hype and delays to end up with a basically defective product..........why should someone not expect a refund as per their own policy?

It sounds like this device works marginally better with oils or wax. It certainly wasn't advertised this way. Davinci should keep in mind that refunds are long term better for them than charge backs through the credit card companies or through Paypal.

Rexxe

Why do people jump to refund? You've waited months for this vape and the problems are all correctable IMO. I bet DV is already figuring out a way to fix them if people want to send them in...

Well, frankly, because I don't plan on having an arsenal of vapes and this is currently my one and only vape. At this point, I'd rather go with a vape that is tried and true. I realize this is a brand new vape, but seeing how it's gone through so many changes and taken this long for release, I was expecting DV to have ironed out some of the details, especially where a chemical-smelling, visible gas is being released with an empty bowl. As @Skulduggery wrote, I doubt DV has the resources to find out what exactly the composition of the gas is and I'm not looking to risk inhaling it.

I would very much appreciate some web URL's and/or citations concerning the cancer fighting properties. TIA

Here's one: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/cannabis/patient/page2

Last edited by a moderator:

Adobewan

Cannabis For Infant's Brain Tumor, Doctor Calls Child "A Miracle Baby"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/01/cannabis-for-infants-brai_n_2224898.html

University of Virginia study that proved that the cannabinoids in the cannabis plant shrunk cancerous tumors and killed cancer cells, leaving healthy cells alone.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1159836

Cannabis oil is a highly efficient natural cancer cure
http://www.naturalnews.com/033757_cannabis_oil_cancer_cure.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/19/marijuana-and-cancer_n_1898208.html?utm_hp_ref=marijuana

http://www.molecular-cancer.com/content/9/1/196

And here is the US patent on Cannabis
US Patent US6630507 - Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants
http://www.google.com/patents/US6630507

sam reynolds

because "Samantha" is a mouthful.
We didn't notice any visible off-gassing, but even after a few cycles of burnoff, my grape ape tasted more like calamari.

Glad to see someone else has been experiencing automatic heat reduction. @Pickz, does the bottom of your unit also get more than uncomfortably hot?

For those returning units, what is the best route? Through DV's page, email, or phone? This thing gets far too hot for us to use.

sam reynolds,
Reactions: Snappo

Rexxe

We didn't notice any visible off-gassing, but even after a few cycles of burnoff, my grape ape tasted more like calamari.

Glad to see someone else has been experiencing automatic heat reduction. @Pickz, does the bottom of your unit also get more than uncomfortably hot?

For those returning units, what is the best route? Through DV's page, email, or phone? This thing gets far too hot for us to use.

I emailed them today just so I could get it on record and I plan on calling them on Monday when they're open.

Rexxe,

thedanks

Sincere Apologies to anyone whose life I made more difficult today. Off to my 7pm massage. I do hope we get an update from the DaVinci rep sooner rather than later. On a positive note, it does look dead sexy.

1082905_10100873673682920_1800540082_n.jpg

lwien

^^Ummm...........That pic does not look sexy to me at all. That dirty glass makes me kinda want to gag. :puke:

Sorry danks. I wouldn't have said a thing if you didn't say that it looks, "darn sexy".

On another note, that doesn't look like the glass adapter offered by DV. What is that? Or is that the adapter but it's just hidden on the back side?

lwien,

Reflections

I received mine on friday, did the iso clean-up, and let it charge for 10 hrs..was hard to wait..lol. I noticed after a 5 hr charge the battery indicator showed a full charge. I was temtped to go ahead with burn off but didnt , decided to let it continue to charge for 10 hrs. Went back to ck after hour or so and saw it was charging back up again.

After the 10 hrs i did a burn off , didnt see anything burn off really and it didnt smell. So I filled the bowel about 3/4 full with just pulling small piesces off..tamped it down a little turned it on to 375.. saw the vapor come up to tube and very litely touched lips on tube and gently sucked in... The taste was incredible was vaping Blue dream. Turned up to 399 after a lil tamping down and got a few small clouds...kinda like i do with the pax. I hit it like 5 times then turned off. I was very satisfied. This morning i turned on and hit it again at 399, 2 puffs. Gone all day came home and turned on and had 2 more...reading forum..emptied and cleaned bowl and did another burn off... for 2 min and battery out of juice..That sure was a fast 3 hrs.....

Reflections,

Stthings

^^Ummm...........That pic does not look sexy to me at all. That dirty glass makes me kinda want to gag. :puke:

Sorry danks. I wouldn't have said a thing if you didn't say that it looks, "darn sexy".

On another note, that doesn't look like the glass adapter offered by DV. What is that? Or is that the adapter but it's just hidden on the back side?
That's the straight adapter. There's a u-adapter which is the one you're thinking of I believe.

I received mine on friday, did the iso clean-up, and let it charge for 10 hrs..was hard to wait..lol. I noticed after a 5 hr charge the battery indicator showed a full charge. I was temtped to go ahead with burn off but didnt , decided to let it continue to charge for 10 hrs. Went back to ck after hour or so and saw it was charging back up again.

After the 10 hrs i did a burn off , didnt see anything burn off really and it didnt smell. So I filled the bowel about 3/4 full with just pulling small piesces off..tamped it down a little turned it on to 375.. saw the vapor come up to tube and very litely touched lips on tube and gently sucked in... The taste was incredible was vaping Blue dream. Turned up to 399 after a lil tamping down and got a few small clouds...kinda like i do with the pax. I hit it like 5 times then turned off. I was very satisfied. This morning i turned on and hit it again at 399, 2 puffs. Gone all day came home and turned on and had 2 more...reading forum..emptied and cleaned bowl and did another burn off... for 2 min and battery out of juice..That sure was a fast 3 hrs.....

Mine has incredibly short battery life as well. We're talking less than 2 10 minute sessions

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
We are merely discussing a new product. All products have pros and cons. I think both sides have been portrayed here. It's a brilliantly designed unit, but new Ascent owners, such as myself, want input from other owners to make sure that this device is safe. If this is a toxic issue, we deserve every right to talk about it and display concern. We are putting these toxins in our body. It's kind of a huge deal.

You don't seem to get it. We aren't preventing anyone from talking about the issues, but we are putting limits on how that discussion can proceed. Input from other owners is useless if you want assurances about the safety, since they are no more qualified to judge than you are.

You write "If this is a toxic issue..." followed by "We are putting these toxins in our body." In other words, you make a huge and unwarranted leap in logic. No one has shown anything about the Ascent is toxic.

That's not the reality at all, that's your completely unsupported conclusion. To go on to claim that poisonous gases probably exist is outrageous and irresponsible. As a neurochemist, you should have a much better grasp of logic and know better than to employ innuendo.

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...

I havent been following the ascent much, but the two that have already made it into classifieds had 3 different wpa's. Two were straight like his and the other was a u shaped adapter...

SSVUN~YAH,
Reactions: lwien

poonman

Sincere Apologies to anyone whose life I made more difficult today. Off to my 7pm massage. I do hope we get an update from the DaVinci rep sooner rather than later. On a positive note, it does look dead sexy.

My Sincere Thank you to you and other members ,
For saving me from spending $ 250 of my Hard Earned Money on this vape .

Just a thought ;
DV said they were receiving shipments daily during the customs' delays .
Maybe some of you got the batch from the ' Bad days ' ...

thedanks

thing is such a pain to clean. help me please! you have any pointers? :)

thedanks,

Stthings

You don't seem to get it. We aren't preventing anyone from talking about the issues, but we are putting limits on how that discussion can proceed. Input from other owners is useless if you want assurances about the safety, since they are no more qualified to judge than you are.

You write "If this is a toxic issue..." followed by "We are putting these toxins in our body." In other words, you make a huge and unwarranted leap in logic. No one has shown anything about the Ascent is toxic.

That's not the reality at all, that's your completely unsupported conclusion. To go on to claim that poisonous gases probably exist is outrageous and irresponsible. As a neurochemist, you should have a much better grasp of logic and know better than to employ innuendo.

Yeah, and no one has had the unit for longer than a week to test if it is toxic. Obviously, these clouds aren't just randomly getting generated from the unit. Something is being heated and producing the fumes. If you think anything in that unit that is heated and producing fumes, whether it be the plastic or even the glass (although glass wouldn't be the culprit) you wouldn't want to breathe that shit into your lungs. There's something wrong in the first-run units and you have no more say in it than we do. We have the units in our hands, are witnessing the fumes without anything in the bowl, and it's alarming.

lwien

That's the straight adapter. There's a u-adapter which is the one you're thinking of I believe.

Ah......thanks. Didn't know that they had a straight adapter.

Mine has incredibly short battery life as well. We're talking less than 2 10 minute sessions

Some batts retain their charge longer after few complete charges. I wonder if this is what's happening here.

lwien,

Poopman525

I think that's the straight glass adapter, I have the same one.

On another note, I tried my Ascent this morning as was very pleases with my results. Only had to repack tight once. I always fill the bowl because in my opinion it's reallllly small anyway. I have to say the random smoke does concern me, especially if toxic. I don't know if it's really that though. We have to wait to hear how they respond I suppose.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Yeah, and no one has had the unit for longer than a week to test if it is toxic. Obviously, these clouds aren't just randomly getting generated from the unit. Something is being heated and producing the fumes. If you think anything in that unit that is heated, whether it be the plastic or even the glass (although glass wouldn't be the culprit) you would still not want to breathe that shit into your lungs. There's something wrong in the first-run units and you have no more say in it than we do. We have the units in our hands, are witnessing the fumes without anything in the bowl, and it's alarming.

You still don't get it. See that Staff Member banner on my avatar? That says I do have more say in than you do, and my say is that you don't get to make any more unwarranted accusations about toxins. You can say there is is an unknown gas that you don't want to inhale, but if you call it toxic again you get a point. Now do you get it?

Top Bottom