Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

lwien

There needs to be some way to keep the herb compressed in the chamber without packing like .8-1G of medicine at a time

I suggested the following back in June:

If they can make an accessory, such a a "bowl limiter", that they could sell as an option, it's just another accessory that could generate additional revenue for them..........that is, as long as there's a market for it, and marketed right, I think there would be.

Kind of like a smaller bowl that would fit into the larger bowl but still able to conduct heat, or some other device that would limit the size of the bowl so that smaller loads wouldn't be floating around within a larger bowl. Sticks suggested the use of cotton, but for me, introducing cotton into an "all glass vapor path" is kind of counter-productive.

Stthings

Refunds are good, but if davinci has batches of toxic off-gassing ascents that sub-par silicone was used in, they need to identify and recall those batches asap or they will not recover what's left of their image.

DV USA, it may be time to book some flights across the pacific and find out wtf is going on!

If they used toxic silicone, I'd expect nothing less than a full refund, shipping paid for, and a safe, free unit shipped when it does get produced. That would be so unethical.

Stthings,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I suggested the following back in June:

Kind of like a smaller bowl that would fit into the larger bowl but still able to conduct heat, or some other device that would limit the size of the bowl so that smaller loads wouldn't be floating around within a larger bowl. Sticks suggested the use of cotton, but for me, introducing cotton into an "all glass vapor path" is kind of counter-productive.

Simple*. Take the oil canister, cut that in half, and make a glass screen on the bottom of the "top" half of it. The way the bowl is shaped, the top half of the glass canister should sit on the top half of the bowl. Make it look like the glass screen on the stem. That should allow for smaller loads to not fly up, since they'll hit the screen'd canister reducer.

*Simple to think, not to make at home.

thesoloman

one more thought, i looked inside the grill with a flashlight, and i can see the wires that provide power to the heater. they appear to be the same type used in the solo(wire with silicone sheath). I believe that the "new vape smell" may be the wires "stripping" themselves when the part closest to the heater is first heated. But this is just a hypothesis! but would explain the smell

max

Out to lunch
I don't have an Ascent, but I've been using a DV since the model first came out. Mine never had to burn off anything that I could see. It's a shame the company didn't do whatever was necessary to avoid the same problem with this model, but I'm sure they'll address the issue. Seems like a factory 'burn in' was called for.

pakalolo reminded me today, during a conversation, of the irony that the Solo, which many :bowdown:to as the best portable (there is no best portable for every situation), was attacked (along with the manuf.) and trashed relentlessly when it first came out, for bad smell and shortly thereafter, the flaking ceramic. Obviously the problems were addressed, and many satisfied Solo owners never knew the issues even existed.

Some members who kept on attacking the Solo and Arizer, after being warned that enough is enough, got into trouble with us. Voicing your dissatisfaction is fine, but going on and on is just rabble rousing and we won't tolerate it. The DaVinci company has always paid attention to FC feedback. The features on the Ascent, beyond what the DV offers, are what the members here asked for. Your complaints will be noticed. They don't have to be posted on every page.

Stthings

I don't have an Ascent, but I've been using a DV since the model first came out. Mine never had to burn off anything that I could see. It's a shame the company didn't do whatever was necessary to avoid the same problem with this model, but I'm sure they'll address the issue. Seems like a factory 'burn in' was called for.

pakalolo reminded me today, during a conversation, of the irony that the Solo, which many :bowdown:to as the best portable (there is no best portable for every situation), was attacked (along with the manuf.) and trashed relentlessly when it first came out, for bad smell and shortly thereafter, the flaking ceramic. Obviously the problems were addressed, and many satisfied Solo owners never knew the issues even existed.

Some members who kept on attacking the Solo and Arizer, after being warned that enough is enough, got into trouble with us. Voicing your dissatisfaction is fine, but going on and on is just rabble rousing and we won't tolerate it. The DaVinci company has always paid attention to FC feedback. The features on the Ascent, beyond what the DV offers, are what the members here asked for. Your complaints will be noticed. They don't have to be posted on every page.

We are merely discussing a new product. All products have pros and cons. I think both sides have been portrayed here. It's a brilliantly designed unit, but new Ascent owners, such as myself, want input from other owners to make sure that this device is safe. If this is a toxic issue, we deserve every right to talk about it and display concern. We are putting these toxins in our body. It's kind of a huge deal.

Reveen

I haven't really experienced a problem yet with the herb not staying packed down into the bowl. I just stick it down with the bottom of the oil can and draw slow and steady. Even tipping the ascent upside-down and shaking it, the herb still stays packed to the bottom of the unit. I really like the added stiffness to the draw too. It produces some pretty satisfying hits.

Maybe I'm packing down harder than some. It seems to be working well for me though. The herb still vapes very evenly and I like the way it effects the draw. Less "airy."

Quetzalcoatl

Would something like this work to take up bowl space?
Glass beads
http://www.artbeads.com/vin-0121.html
Yup, glass screens would work too. The daisies are good, but I think the jacks would be better since they would occupy more area with less screens being needed. I still think the "best" way to go about it is via canister reducers like I stated earlier, but I don't see why the other ideas won't work just as well.

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: Snappo

stickstones

Vapor concierge

This got discussed back when I was testing the pre-production unit. I am of the opinion that the physical characteristics of glass spacers would change the thermal dynamics of what is going on inside the bowl. At a minimum the glass spacers would require more energy from the unit to heat them up before you could get vapor. I also think it would change the conduction dynamics. Since I like the way it hit already I used cotton for a spacer, which can bring up its own set of concerns for some.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
This got discussed back when I was testing the pre-production unit. I am of the opinion that the physical characteristics of glass spacers would change the thermal dynamics of what is going on inside the bowl. At a minimum the glass spacers would require more energy from the unit to heat them up before you could get vapor. I also think it would change the conduction dynamics. Since I like the way it hit already I used cotton for a spacer, which can bring up its own set of concerns for some.
I would prefer the 100% cotton solution over the glass spacers, as 100% Q-Tip cotton has never presented me with an adverse effect. JMO.

grokit

well-worn member

I respect your opinion, but don't you think that an oval-shaped glass spacer that allows for proper airflow would be worth trying? I mean what's the harm.

Quetzalcoatl

I respect your opinion, but don't you think that an oval-shaped glass spacer that allows for proper airflow would be worth trying? I mean what's the harm.
Worth trying, yes, but it may cause a decrease in vapor across all temperatures. Then again, it might actually work better for smaller loads.

That's yet to be seen.

Quetzalcoatl,

Zorbak

DV mentioned a while back that she used the bottom of glass mouthpiece to tamp down the herb, and that's the method I've been using ever since I got my Ascent. It's a great, quick method, and I haven't had any issues with herb coming off the bottom. That could have a lot to do with the fact that i'm using a carbon filter that effects the air flow.

stickstones

Vapor concierge

Absolutely...knock yourself out! For me, cotton was a better long term answer. I just spent some time contemplating the shape of the bowl and the way I think a decent amount of radiation plays into how this unit vapes, and I figured adding a heat sink into the chamber would change the results. But that's just me thinking...the proof will be in your results and I hope it works out great!

Smknbud

Interesting reading here for sure. Got mine yesterday.

Through suggestions posted in this thread, tight pack and slow draw etc, I've managed to equal the vape cloud on the Ascent as with the original DaVinci I have. The Ascent at 393 F and the DaVinci at 385 F.

I don't see the smoke from off-gassing, but I do smell the odor. Quite strong. This can't be a good thing as surely we are inhaling it. And I'm not convinced it's only temporary and almost afraid to keep using it hoping that it dissipates over time.

My OLED screen is like just about everyone else. My 18mm u-WT came broken in the box.

Quite the let down after such anticipation.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
That sucks, smknbud.

I never got any off gassing from my test Ascent unit, so I'm disappointed it has showed up now. It was that off gassing that kept me from getting the original DV.

stickstones,
Reactions: grokit

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Absolutely...knock yourself out! For me, cotton was a better long term answer. I just spent some time contemplating the shape of the bowl and the way I think a decent amount of radiation plays into how this unit vapes, and I figured adding a heat sink into the chamber would change the results. But that's just me thinking...the proof will be in your results and I hope it works out great!
I'm just wondering if the glass screen were fitted a bit smaller so that it could snuggley enter the heating bowl (the stem would have to be lengthened a bit to adjust for pack height), it would serve to be able to tamp down on the pack and keep it firmly in place at whatever level. The screen holes would be directly on/over the pack and perhaps as a result pick up on the vapor as well or better than it does now. And perhaps an additional hole on each upper side of the pyramid to catch the vapor/air mixture in that area. Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
Snappo,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
but snappo, now you're getting into modding the actual stem and getting way too complicated. the spacer needs to either be simple and available everywhere or offered by the manufacturer.

stickstones,

Snappo

Accessory Maker
but snappo, now you're getting into modding the actual stem and getting way too complicated. the spacer needs to either be simple and available everywhere or offered by the manufacturer.
sticks - my best guess is that there will be a version 2 along the way where modifications will be had. We'll just have to wait and see. Meantime, what do you think of the idea?

Snappo,

Pickz

Vapes on vapes on vapes!
Mine just arrived! I'm about to open it up and check for any defects. I have to work tonight so that will cut the charging wait time in half! I'm cautiously optimistic at the moment and will share my findings as they come about.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
pickz...do the burnoff first and see if you have any off gassing

snappo...I'm not sure. Someone recently posted on here that they think the herb pushed up against the stem holes is what is causing problems, so I'm not sure if it would work.

stickstones,

Smknbud

That sucks, smknbud.

I never got any off gassing from my test Ascent unit, so I'm disappointed it has showed up now. It was that off gassing that kept me from getting the original DV.

Yeah it does, but your comment also reminds me that my original DV also had an odor/smell and it did actually go completely away.

Smknbud,

Adobewan

...the physical characteristics of glass spacers would change the thermal dynamics of what is going on inside the bowl...
... just spent some time contemplating the shape of the bowl and the way I think a decent amount of radiation plays into how this unit vapes, and I figured adding a heat sink into the chamber would change the results...
Smart reasoning Sticks, makes sense.
"Your love for the Halflings leaf has(not) clouded your mind!"
Would you share your cotton configuration, do you line the bottom, create a small ball and toss in,...?
TIA
PS sorry in advance if I missed that in an earlier post.

Adobewan,
Top Bottom