Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Sorry if I'm not making it clear, I'm talking about the space between the bowl and the holes in the glass screen. That space contains rubber on both sides. When the vapor is drawn through, it will make contact with that rubber. Also when materal is being heated up in the chamber, the resulting vapor will mingle around the rubber next to the glass tubes, before it is drawn through. This is because the glass bowl is not connected directly to the glass screen. I am not talking about the air seals to the outside, rather the internal pathway of the vapor, which is supposed to be GonG.
I get your point, but this has been known for some time now, so it's not really "news".

:peace:

Stu,
Reactions: nigel

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Alright let's just close this thread mods... obviously DaVinci is no longer a trusted source for vaporizer tech. Pappy can't even get his vape on.:doh:

Sell your Ascents quickly my vape friends!

mod note: You sold yours by breaking the rules, now you are encouraging others to sell. We have a rule about bashing companies and you are lucky you aren't getting another point for breaking it. Another post like this and you will get a point.

Actually, I understood that you weren't joking. But I was trying to make the point in as few words as possible that terpenes or not, it's not working! And that certainly is no joke.

mod note: You have repeatedly posted that the Ascent has unacceptable build quality and now you are claiming it doesn't work. You've had your kick at the can. Any more posts from you along this line will get you a warning point.

I'm posting this partly so that the two members quoted will be sure to know the thin ice they have wandered onto, and partly to point out that everyone is welcome to post about their issues, but repeated posts that do not advance the discussion are against the rules.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
So the Pax oven technique, but with a forced slow draw is the key here?

I'm starting to think that's going to be the key. I can't really understand why it needs to be straight up if it's a "passive convection" vaporizer. Does it really rely so much more on conduction as opposed to convection? Wouldn't that make it a mostly-conduction vaporizer if it needs to be touching as much of the bowl as possible?

I get your point, but this has been known for some time now, so it's not really "news".

I was the one asking, he might have confused posters or what have you with the speed that this thread is going at now. That answered my question of whether the inner part of the bowl seal came into contact with the vapor. Apparently it does... so does it still count as an all-glass air/vapor path or no?

red-letter edit for visibility: DaVinci, could you please chime in on whether you still consider it an all-glass vapor path despite the vapor coming into contact with the inside of the bowl seal?

Actually, I understood that you weren't joking. But I was trying to make the point in as few words as possible that terpenes or not, it's not working! And that certainly is no joke.
If terpenes are being vaporized, then it is working, but not as it should. There's a difference between non-functional due to defects and barely functional but not enough to work as it's supposed to. While they're both technically "non-functional", there's a distinction between it not working at all and it not working as it should.

I think that for now we can label Pappy's Ascent as "FOA" (fucked on arrival). We'll have to hang on for a little while longer while Pappy and/or DaVinci can pinpoint the problem and see if it's user error or not (although I doubt it's user-error, I can't make a judgement call like that over the internet and having not used Pappy's unit.)

Last edited:
Quetzalcoatl,

Reflections

I just pulled a few pieces off a bud and didnt pack tite but to the top sorta loose. set to 375..to whispy then set to 399 .. wrapped lips around glass lightly..slowly took in the delightful taste.. whispy at first..delicately took in more and got more n more omg...yummy

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Yes packing it makes it the conduction vape that it really wants to be! But it's glass conduction which is fine by me cause its quite tasty! If there was a bowl shaped packer tool it'd be badass!!!! Think the glass screen but no holes! That'd work great! I'm getting clouds that could make a solo blush at this point!

Poopman525

I'm just telling you guys what I'm getting and how I'm doing it. The rest is up to you :nope::goon::nope:

Yes packing it makes it the conduction vape that it really wants to be! But it's glass conduction which is fine by me cause its quite tasty! If there was a bowl shaped packer tool it'd be badass!!!! Think the glass screen but no holes! That'd work great! I'm getting clouds that could make a solo blush at this point!

It's also safe to say...Burl Wood > Croc.

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I'm starting to think that's going to be the key. I can't really understand why it needs to be straight up if it's a "passive convection" vaporizer. Does it really rely so much more on conduction as opposed to convection? Wouldn't that make it a mostly-conduction vaporizer if it needs to be touching as much of the bowl as possible?
It looks like mostly radiation to me just from my own observations about the design. Cool incoming air doesn't work with a convection vape. There is obviously some conduction happening as well, but not much IMO

so does it still count as an all-glass air/vapor path or no?
IMO No.

Pappy

shmaporist
I'd like to a vid or 2 of the Ascent producing satisfying vapor clouds. If I don't see them I'll consider these report UFO sitings.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
That's marketing. They announced the silicone a while back. Marketing departments have been known to take certain liberties, so Da Vinci is not alone here.

Sorry, but being that English is my 2nd language (and despite the fact that I'm quite fluent in it), sometimes things don't quite make sense to me. What do you mean by "take certain liberties" exactly? I understand that they claimed the Ascent to feature an all-glass vapor pathway, but if that's not the case, surely they should edit that out of their website? Or does DaVinci still consider it to be all-glass despite vapor coming into contact with the seal? Is that not false advertising?

Thanks in advance.

I'd like to a vid or 2 of the Ascent producing satisfying vapor clouds. If I don't see them I'll consider these report UFO sitings.

It won't let me link to a specific time when I embed the video here, but jump to 4:50, that's where the vapor shots start.

Zorbak

I can attest to getting nice sizeable clouds, and I really only use a small amount at a time. I have mine set for 2 minutes at 390, 2 minutes at 400, and 2 minutes at 410. I'm feelin' good in no time with my Ascent. I haven't encountered any build quality issues at all with my stealth, except for a bit of glue behind the led cover, but that's not really noticeable.

Poopman525

Have you tried doing what we described Pappy?
Sorry, but being that English is my 2nd language (and despite the fact that I'm quite fluent in it), sometimes things don't quite make sense to me. What do you mean by "take certain liberties" exactly? I understand that they claimed the Ascent to feature an all-glass vapor pathway, but if that's not the case, surely they should edit that out of their website? Or does DaVinci still consider it to be all-glass despite vapor coming into contact with the seal? Is that not false advertising?

Thanks in advance.

It won't let me link to a specific time when I embed the video here, but jump to 4:50, that's where the vapor shots start.

Notice the temps he sets the vape at.

Poopman525,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member

Thanks in advance.

I drive a Prius. The government has an acronym for hybrid cars called "PZEV" which means "Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle". If it is Partial, then what part of zero did it achieve? Can you have a percentage of zero? Last time I checked it was not mathematically possible. But the government likes the sound of it, so their definition of "Partial Zero Emissions" is different than mine.

Da Vinci can claim that the silicone seal is not part of the vapor path for any number of reasons; none of which have to agree with my own opinion. I'm not going to sue them over it.

That is what I mean by "taking liberties". It's not false, it's just a different opinion about the truth.

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
@notorio (& @Quetzalcoatl )

No, you are incorrect. *I* am the one who isn't being clear, good sir. :)
(And also I'm doing this all from a tablet tonight and getting fed up with all kinds of stupid (site UI and tablet stupid... NOT people... I keep getting crap like letters duplicated and other nonsense) crap. Also typing on this thing sucks.)

I understand your point, but the point I was making was that there is a difference between AIR PATH and thhe air chamber. Under DRAW, the airpath, outside of very minor turbulence (which I believe the design of the device intends to minimize) has minuscule chance to be exposed to anything but glass. (well... and your product. :) )

You are correct, that when NOT under draw, some portion of the air can come in contact with the seal. (If I uunderstand [FUCKING DOUBLE LETTERS. DAMN TABLET. FUCK YOU IF IM CORRECTING THAT.... Uh... sorryy DAMMIT.]... uh where was I... If I understand EXACTLY how the pieces fit together.) But two things to note that it is both A) minimal and B) there is no direct draw against/acrosss it. So, it is negligible exposure.

Is there *some*? I believe so. (I am not an expert in fluid dynamics) How much? I'd think a fractional percentage. Who's got a wind tunnel we can play with? :)

For me, the most important factor is the flavor. My ancient device, I used whips with, so that's a MASSIVE exposure in contrast. The flavor from this device is quite good.

---------------

Additionally, you say that DaVinci announced it was silicone a while back. I'm sorry if I did not receive that secret update.

No "secret update". Unless... you would like to call FC a "secret". :)

For those of us that have been following since the original thread back in January, it was made very clear in public discussions. There are even mock-diagrams that show the silicone.

We knew it was there and it was minimal.

Last edited:
nigel,
Reactions: lwien

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
Stu,

Doesn't the Prius also run on gas? Wouldn't that be the non-partial part of the zero emissions?

Shrike,

notorio

That is what I mean by "taking liberties". It's not false, it's just a different opinion about the truth.

Its either glass on glass or it's not. That's what glass on glass means, glass on glass. True or false. There's no opinion to be had on it. Just because you are "marketing", that is no reason to sell your product with factually incorrect information. If anything, that's an area where you should specifically not be using incorrect information, since it results in dissatisfied customers. Also, just because DaVinci is "not alone" in doing this, that does not make it right.
Additionally, you say that DaVinci announced it was silicone a while back. I'm sorry if I did not receive that secret update. I was aware that they were reworking the seals to prevent "third-party" air entering, but the scrapping of GonG and the "All Glass" vapor path? I never heard such a thing.

notorio,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
I'm quite confident that oil cans with a couple holes in the bottom, packed tightly with herb, and flipped upside down in the chamber would work well. It'd be tightly packed, decrease airflow and be heavy enough to stay down low in the chamber. I just put a full upside down can in (no holes of coarse) and got a wee bit of visible vapor but, the load was perfectly roasted! This leads me to believe that the heat range is still correct (even though there's the extra layer of glass), there's just gotta be holes in it to open up the air path. Of coarse this is purely speculation based on how well the load roasted in the can.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Stu,

Doesn't the Prius also run on gas? Wouldn't that be the non-partial part of the zero emissions?
Again, our definition of "zero emissions" differ. You can call it a "lessened emissions" vehicle if you like. I'm good with that. "zero emissions" to me is a goal, not a scale.

Anyways.... back to the Ascent... Pappy, have you tried packing that shit tight and drawing really slow?

Stu,
Reactions: Shrike
Top Bottom