Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Yes the bead is essentially a paperweight. Its just heavy enough, It just holds the packed load to the bottom of the bowl. A fritted glass filter the same shape as the bowl would work great! I get desktop-like results, I've had no off gassing, no visible wires, ability to use small loads. I believe I've got one of the good ones. My only gripes are I do have a couple of the minute cosmetic issues and the battery life seems much shorter than was advertised.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Ok ... so here's my first update after receiving the unit this morning and now trying it out!

- took 5 hours to charge
- 1st burn off cycle at 430F lots of off-gassing (had me concerned)
- 2nd burn off cycle, I think I saw some off-gassing but couldn't be sure
- 3rd and 4th nothing I could see
- still had that "new vape"/electronic smell, so cleaned again with 99% ISO and ran another half burn off cycle
- after about 4-5 cycles, my battery is still going strong (shows 50+% and I'm sure I've run it a good 45+ minutes ... maybe even over an hour)

So then I let it cool, loaded about .25g into a bowl, didn't pack down (despite recommendations but it was solid enough ... not loose by any means ... probably about my Cloud ELB pack after sucking it in with some good force)

Let it heat to 200C (I'm in Canada -- we do Celsius :)) ... and too a rip ... nice vapor ... great taste ... kept sipping away for a bit ... great taste, nice vapor production. opened it up and packed down with glass jar after 2-3 good hits ... vapor production got even better! (I made sure not to suck like a mad man as I didn't want the "puck" to come off the bottom ... but it was never a problem ... it stayed put) I upped my heat to 210 after another couple nice hits (long slow draw) with nice vapor output .... got a few more nice hits and then it got a little wispy so I dumped out the load and it was very nicely evenly browned. Got me medicated as expected from that quantity of meds.

If it wasn't for the smell (new vape/electronic ... kinda' smells like a recently fluxed/soldered board connection) and the one wire I can see this thing would for sure become my go-to portable ... I'm sure the new vape/electronic smell will go away or DaVinci will fix it and they'll fix the exposed wire issue; so in my books this one's a real winner. I much prefer it over my Solo!

FYI ... I had the original Solo with ceramic bowl, and it was great, but had some smell issues initially and then flaked, and then I got the M105 that had temperature issues (didn't get hot enough) which they replaced and the newer model is fine (but still had that new vape/electronic smell that took a while to burn-off) ... anyways ... my point is for those that keep saying that they "don't have these problems with their Solo" ... I had lots of problems with my Solo (but still love it and it's the one I recommend the most for first vapes for people ...) but anyways ... doesn't seem to me like the Ascent is having any more issues than the Solos :) ... also will point out that the Solo had as many health concerns over the years from my understanding and memory ... just my 2 cents :) ...

tre-ert

What sort of battery life have people been getting? I am getting three full sessions, and the fourth one is either cutting it close or runs out midway. Probably 45 total minutes of being on. Temp between 380-420. If literally every Ascent owner is getting bad results far below the "3+ Hour Battery Life" currently advertised on DV's order page, I'll have to send it back for a refund, not a replacement.

grokit

well-worn member
The pipestone piece that I grabbed when I went over because I forgot my wt last night (good sign:freak:), is a small round plug that he removed to make the bowl. It had just a little too big of a diameter to fit inside the ascent bowl, so I filed it down on two sides to make it fit:

SANY0177.JPG

The dirt you see is actually pipestone dust from my fingers. It fits perfectly with room on both sides for airflow. I can't wait to try it out.

I also risked $6 on 10 of these:

$T2eC16dHJGoFFvPOJJ3UBSGNLuDI-Q~~60_3.JPG

They're supposedly 8-10mm ea., I may have to break a "petal" off of one to try it in the ascent.

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Oh no ... I love this thing ... man the vapor is nice and plentiful and man it works beautifully! I honestly have not had a portable that I've been this happy with since I first got my M101 ... ?M102? ... Solo ... it works as well (I actually think better), tastes better, is not harsh at all, and produces great amounts of vapor!

I just tried it with the 14mm GonG connector and my Zapubbler (like an f-Bomb) and it works great! ... I'm going to qualify this by saying though that the Zapubbler is not necessary ... the vapor's smooth enough through this thing that I don't feel the need for water (the Inhalater for instance, I found the vapor WAY too hot without water ...)

Anyways ... seems like I just need to get the "wire" issue sorted out (and make sure the "new vape" smell goes away) and I'll be golden ... this will be my new "go-to", discrete portable ... (my MiniVAP still takes the cake as far as big hitters for portables!)

JCat

Accessory Maker
Why would he want a vap2 if he already has a cloud+ and a sublimator?
Just to have one so I can recommend it to others and to form an opinion on it. Sticks raves about them all the time and from what I know about Sticks it's got to be a great vape :)

grokit

well-worn member
Yeah it looks to be one of the best plug-in units it that price class. I would recommend it to any new patient that wants to experiment with vaping, especially if they're not coming from a combustion background. If they were coming from a combustion background, I might recommend that they look into an ssv/lsv/dbv instead. Sorry for the OT, just curious.

grokit,
I've had my stealth since Friday and decided to wait a bit before posting my initial thoughts.
So far I'm very happy with my purchase!

With the exception of the filmy screen most people seem to have, I don't have any other aesthetic issues. The battery has lasted me about 6-7 sessions each charge, and after tinkering with different techniques I'm starting to get solid vapor production.

There are a few minor issues though. Most of these have easy fixes, but I'd obviously prefer if they didn't exist in the first place.

1. My unit does get really hot around the bowl (too hot to touch). But the sides stay cool so using the device is still perfectly fine.

2. Like others, I've also experienced the unit automatically lowering its temp. All I have to do is turn it off and on, but again I'd rather this didn't happen in the first place. I'm also worried the unit may be overheating.

3. As someone else already mentioned, the glass stem slides down too easily. What I've been doing is using the included little black mouthpiece cover and sliding the o slightly down the stem and using it as a stopper at whatever height I want my stem at. This has worked great for me.

Aside from these issues I've been thrilled with my purchase. I'm not one who is overly concerned with maximizing efficiency; I wanted something that looks, feels, and tastes great and produces the desired effect. In this regard, the ascent has exceeded what were already very high expectations.

EveryDayAmnesiac

I'm not sure I like the fact that if I shine my little cheap plastic microscope into the side of the grill that's on the hinge, I can see the green circuit board and wires leading off it... right next to where the air intake is.

Should this not bother me?

Sorry if this has been brought up, but I don't recall seeing it...

sam reynolds

because "Samantha" is a mouthful.
Welp...we packed it up and say goodbye today.

The Ascent has so much promise and I'm sure they'll iron out these issues and come up with other improvements over the next several months...just like most other new vapes. I hope to give it another shot then.

Things will settle down shortly and QC will improve. I wish DV the best of luck.

I'm not sure I like the fact that if I shine my little cheap plastic microscope into the side of the grill that's on the hinge, I can see the green circuit board and wires leading off it... right next to where the air intake is.

Should this not bother me?

Sorry if this has been brought up, but I don't recall seeing it...
Can you show us pics? This is near the charging port, yes?

sam reynolds,
Reactions: Jab

EveryDayAmnesiac

Can you show us pics? This is near the charging port, yes?

Not sure if my camera can pick it up... we'll see.

However, if you just have a bright, direct light and shine it in right near that charging port, it's plainly obvious on mine. I can see "Rf" on it and some wires coming off it. Looks mighty dusty.

Don't see why that wouldn't be covered up?

EDITED FOR PIC ***

obr0.jpg

Last edited:

sam reynolds

because "Samantha" is a mouthful.
Are you getting a replacement? Or are you doing the refund?
Refund. I want to wait a few months and see where it goes now that more and more people are using and providing feedback.

Here you go:

SANY0180.JPG

As you can see, it is not in the airpath whatsoever.
Thanks for those pics! You're right, it's not in the air path, but having something like that so close to an oven that will regularly see 400+F doesn't sit well with me. Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but in my experience heat+plastic doesn't often result in something I want to inhale repeatedly.

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
Well, after owning the ascent a couple of days now it is all going downhill.

-battery indicator all over the place. left at home w/ a full charge this morning and it was near depleted when I returned. Lucky to get 45 minutes out of it when fully charged.
-getting less and less of a cloud.
- obvious air leak/ intake from upper chamber
- too much air still coming in from where body separates (isn't this problem why I had to wait an extra 2 weeks?)
- delamination of interior of screen slightly worse (but still not as bad as many)

I was trying to be optimistic, but.... Maybe I was having better results at first because it was plugged in at the time? Will have to check. I really like the look and feel of it. If it was efficient I would be happy.

edit: does anyone know what davincis phone hours are? haven't been able to get them to answer the phone or respond to email and message yet

Snake Plissken,
Reactions: marvil701

Jab

Snake Plissken said:
does anyone know what davincis phone hours are? haven't been able to get them to answer the phone or respond to email and message yet

thesoloman said:
I called 1-800-336-7224 you'll want ext 601 which is customer service, Their hours are 9:30 to 5 pst if i remember correctly. I had too call about 5 times before someone answered. (post)

Top Bottom