Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
My Ascent has been performing great, but I feel that I end up going through my herb faster than I do with my EQ. I was hoping that the Ascent would be able to replace my EQ so I would just have one vape I could use for every thing. Not a huge deal... I'll still use my EQ or when I'm in the living room, and the Ascent for everything else (bedroom, outside, and going out and about.)

Anyone else feel like they are going through more herb? I'm guessing it's because of the conduction aspect and the process of coming up and down from the set temp when turning on and off is vaping off some of the herb.

What do you folks think about its efficiency?

EQ is a good vaporizer once you learn how to use it but still...I found the solo to be more efficient!
What you are saying makes no sense /; , I mean Ascent should be very efficient ...

m0sh,

Reveen

EQ is a good vaporizer once you learn how to use it but still...I found the solo to be more efficient!
What you are saying makes no sense /; , I mean Ascent should be very efficient ...

Sorry m0sh I should have been more clear. The Extreme Q, for example, when elbow packing, the herb stays over an inch away from the heating element, so the herb only really vapes when you draw the hot air through it, and the rest of the time, the herb is not being vaped. With the Ascent, the herb is sitting directly inside the hot bowl, so that whether you are inhaling or not, there is probably going to be some herb that is being vaporized due to the heat of the bowl. Not to mention that if I shut the unit off after a few hits, I can continue to get vapor from the unit while the bowl is trying to cool down.

Not saying this is what happens, but it seems like it could be the case.

I should note that I've been measuring my usage with both vapes and vape up to 220 c with both units. I'm going through herb almost twice as fast through the Ascent as I do with the EQ. Same herb, same amount of hits, same temperatures. There is some vapor being lost somewhere.

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
hello all,
I have a burl wood version and i originally thought mine was "issue free" minus the screen issue but here is what i fond so far:

1) screen issue - mine looks scratched but you cant see it when it is on
2) noticed mine was "smoking from the bottom" like some of the videos earlier posted. - have done SEVERAL 430 Degree burn ins and cleanings and i still see it. it is not as bad as it was but still there
3) battery life - mine does not seem to last the 3 hours reported. mine seems to be less than half after a 2 15 min sessions after a full charge.
4) temp skips - Here is a new one i have not seen anyone post (or i missed it)... when i set my unit to 430 degrees during the heatup the temp will count up in order but when it gets to 390 degrees it jumps right to 430 degrees skipping 391 - 429

not sure what to think.... especially about the smoking and weird temp skipping

Conky

hello all,
I have a burl wood version and i originally thought mine was "issue free" minus the screen issue but here is what i fond so far:

1) screen issue - mine looks scratched but you cant see it when it is on
2) noticed mine was "smoking from the bottom" like some of the videos earlier posted. - have done SEVERAL 430 Degree burn ins and cleanings and i still see it. it is not as bad as it was but still there
3) battery life - mine does not seem to last the 3 hours reported. mine seems to be less than half after a 2 15 min sessions after a full charge.
4) temp skips - Here is a new one i have not seen anyone post (or i missed it)... when i set my unit to 430 degrees during the heatup the temp will count up in order but when it gets to 390 degrees it jumps right to 430 degrees skipping 391 - 429

not sure what to think.... especially about the smoking and weird temp skipping
I see the temp thing too, my guess is they set it to show your selected temp when it is in a specific range so it's not always changing when your drawing on it. I don't see the temp go down ever while I hit it, so that's just my guess.

lwien

Hey DV, thanks sooooo much for the input.

Now I got a question for you that is going to take some finesse to answer. The question is, is it safe to be inhaling that smoke that is coming off of the silicone that is holding the bowl in place.

Before you answer that, I know that there are legal issues to consider so if you could possibly word it in such a way as to skirt those issues and yet still give us a heads up in regards to, should we not use the Ascent until there is no smoke whatsoever, or should we not be concerned at all?

Kevea

Here are the videos Slim made back in June with his demo unit showing the Ascent's vapor production. I believe these are the ones @nigel was looking for a couple pages ago.

Hopefully this shows what the Ascent can do for the ones looking for video evidence of good vapor production. Slim said he had it set at either 415F or 430F for those hits.

Last edited:

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
Mine shows light on the clasp side, just slightly, but the seal in the middle doesn't let any light thru, can you see light all the way across or just near the clasp?
Fyi...the demo units had a gap near the unhinged side too, I think the clasp was put In place to reduce it, but even on mine the gap doesnt go to the middle, if any vapor or pressure is being lost I dont think its from there or if it is, it is not that much...imo

WakeAndVape,

tre-ert

Not sure if I have a bad battery or most of them are behaving like this?
1. When plugged in, it shows the charge animation forever. No way to know when it's done. I know some others commented on this.
2. The indicator display is erratic. Coming off that full charge, it didn't look full, but showed about 1/3 missing. While using it the first session, it eventually drops to halfway. In later sessions, it goes back and forth from totally empty, sometimes up to half full and then back down again, etc. What is going on?
3. The worst part. After a full charge (overnight, was plugged in 10 or so hours), yesterday I got three full 10-15 minute sessions, each going from 380-410. Midway through the fourth session, it gives up, flashing an empty battery icon.
I don't know if it will improve after more cycles. But one charge lasting three and a half sessions gives me the impression something is wrong with my unit. I can't really reliably call this a "portable" if it's going to run out of juice so easily. I was using it out at a bar last night, it was totally great, discreet and pocketable, but then it died on what was only its fourth session of the charge. Are anyone else's Ascents behaving like this? Would a replacement make a difference?

tre-ert,

Hexi

It amazes me how many on a fuckcombustion forum are demanding or concerned with thick clouds. Thick clouds come from combustion,

smooth vapor from the best ingredients of flowers does not billow into thick clouds.

Most of the vapes being hailed as thick cloud producers are moderate butane torches.

so feeling smoke = good hit...not needed with a vaporizer..

No, thick clouds of vapor come from vaporizing. People report thick clouds from all sorts of devices.

No the quality of flowers has nothing to do with whether or not you get thick clouds. It's how you vape it. People get thick clouds from ABV in a good session

No, CLOUD is not a butane torch, the original DV (also can produce thick clouds) no butane, PAX can do epic clouds etc..

No smoke. I don't consider smoke a good hit, and I get good hits of vape all the time, I don't do combustion unless it's an 'emergency'

Please don't try to talk people into or out of clouds, as we all know it's 100% personal preference. I don't mind whispy sips, and I love big clouds

In terms of the Ascent, some are reporting whispy sips, others can get big clouds. Let's hear them out.

theCerberus

No the quality of flowers has nothing to do with whether or not you get thick clouds. It's how you vape it. People get thick clouds from ABV in a good session

I agree with all the points you made except this one. In EVERY vape I've owned better quality flower produces thicker vapor.

Gotta disagree with this one. The higher the quality of bud, the more actives that are available to vaporize, ergo, all else being equal...............bigger clouds.

yep! all my evidence with my various vaporizers seems to back this up.

Hexi

I I just think people are overreacting a little bit, and some of you are just straight up looking to bash the Ascent and Davinci for reasons I'm not sure of.

2 items, unrelated. 1 is some people reporting real defects with a brand new unit.

2nd item is people speculating and creating doomsday scenarios.

If I had a brand new unit, and it was defective, I too would post about it. That's not over-reacting.

My daughter has this glass bead kit and I found the perfect piece of glass to fit in my ascent bowl. It holds the packed load to the bottom and I get CLOUDS for the whole session without opening up to repack at all.

Pics/size/link? sounds like something I could use.

• The coating on the heating wires was cited as a source (Someone made that point this morning on this issue)
Wasn't there a revelation that the wires had heat resistant coating and were not the source, the the person who speculated that was an employee of Volcano?

Last edited:

lwien

INCOMING............Red font warning on back to back posts is on it's way.

In regards to posting up problems with defective units, THAT is one of the main reasons for the existence of this site and is a great focus group, if you will, for manufacturers to take advantage of. We just have to be careful not to let the natural mob mentality take over that encourages us to go on ranting rampages, of which I have definatlly been a part of in the past.

Last edited:

sam reynolds

because "Samantha" is a mouthful.
Anyone else feel like they are going through more herb? I'm guessing it's because of the conduction aspect and the process of coming up and down from the set temp when turning on and off is vaping off some of the herb.

What do you folks think about its efficiency?
So far, my solo seems much more efficient. Was hoping to find the "sweet spot" with the Ascent, but after a few days, I still can't get it to perform like the solo. The herb in the ascent gets evenly roasted to a nice, deep dark brown, but for some reason a lot of the medicine is going somewhere other than inside me.

I'm definitely not seeing anything like in Slim's vids at any temp.

Last edited:

Reveen

So far, my solo seems much more efficient. Was hoping to find the "sweet spot" with the Ascent, but after a few days, I still can't get it to perform like the solo. The herb in the ascent gets evenly roasted to a nice, deep dark brown, but for some reason a lot of the medicine is going somewhere other than inside me.

agreed. was hoping it would be much more efficient.

lwien

I've never used the Solo, but does it constantly cook your herb like the Ascent and the Pax does, or is there more convection going on in the Solo?

sam reynolds

I've never used the Solo, but does it constantly cook your herb like the Ascent and the Pax does, or is there more convection going on in the Solo?

There's a little cooking, but when you pack a solo stem, the herb rests at least a few mm from the heating element as opposed to right in and on it with the ascent.

The solo is also less prone to reverse air flow...I'm positive we're losing a lot of good stuff through the bottom of the ascent. I often see more vapor coming out the bottom than the top.

My bedroom is also noticeably smellier after a few sessions with the ascent than with the solo. So that vapor is going somewhere...

Hexi

I agree with all the points you made except this one. In EVERY vape I've owned better quality flower produces thicker vapor.

yep! all my evidence with my various vaporizers seems to back this up.

Technically I should have said it's a variable, but not the single defining factor.

"More actives" would mean higher % THC and CBD. Which would suggest that the concentrates would always give you the best vapor. Which we know isn't always the case. We also know that what is vaped is not just the desired actives, but everything inside the product that will vape at those temps.

People are getting huge clouds with ABV in certain devices. But not in other devices. That was my point.

Some are getting wispy hits from the Ascent, others are getting clouds. This original post was suggesting this was due to flower quality. But what we know is it's due to a bunch of variables.

Hexi,
Reactions: grokit

BubbaGump

Short answer - Yes

Sam posted about same time with great answer.

BubbaGump,

lwien

Cooks it less and the stem/bowl/flowers can be removed from the unit to preserve.
There's a little cooking, but when you pack a solo stem, the herb rests at least a few mm from the heating element as opposed to right in and on it with the ascent.
I'm positive we're losing a lot of good stuff through the bottom of the ascent. I often see more vapor coming out the bottom than the top.

Ahh.........both quotes above make perfect sense. Thanks..........

sam reynolds

My brother put in for a replacement to correct the thermostat issue, but he's thinking about going for a refund instead. I don't think I'll miss it...it's a beautiful device, but I can't afford to chew through my herb so quickly.

Until they fix some of these issues (and I'm sure they will in time), it feels like an expensive novelty.

tre-ert

The glass screen stem on the Ascent might be affecting how much vapor we get. Try pulling it out and taking air in through the other end to see what I mean. Those 4 little holes only give you so much drawing power. I'm thinking about trying a round with the glass screen stem totally removed, this means vapor would be going up through the rubber inner tube. You can lodge a screen in there to avoid getting herb in your mouth. I'll experiment with this later. Sadly this would make it no longer an all-glass air path, but the 4-hole screen with its weak draw can be frustrating to use. In the long run, it might benefit from a better designed female screen tube that lets more air in directly in front of the bowl.

baltik

I'm definitely not seeing anything like in Slim's vids at any temp.

x1000 i thought the same thing, I packed it up about 2x what i put in the solo got about 4-5 mediocre draws and then opened it up to see everything is dark brown.. I am estimating that my solo is roughly three times more efficient

I was using a fairly tight pack at 390 degrees

Top Bottom