Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Reveen

Received my davinci ascent today. And a bit disappointed with build quality. My buttons are the wrong way round? A small problem I know. Anyone else have same problem?

can you post a picture? Are the buttons upside-down?

Reveen,

smokie

Will try and put pic on later, yes you press minus to turn heat up. That's the button at top.

smokie,

novicevape

Question for those who own the original DV and the Ascent. Can you talk about differences between the 2 1. Look, size, feel
2. Load size it can handle
3. Vapor quality
4. How hot does the base part get?
5. Cloud thickness

novicevape,

Zorbak

How about the thickness of the stem? That's the part that makes me worry. My GonG adapter for my solo feels like it's built like a champ, and I have no concern about it snapping, but something about the look of the Ascent GonG seems less than sturdy...

Actually, the GonG straight adapter is pretty thick, and other than it being too long, I don't worry about it cracking or snapping at all.

PoopFights

Got my stealth yesterday. I impatiently plugged it in and used it right away. I just saw a comment that it said to let it charge fully before first use. Is that going to matter since it was plugged in during use?

First impression is that this is an awesome vape! My experience is pretty limited. I've never used a desk top model, only portables. I first bought an original Iiolite after seeing Ted Danson use it on Bored to Death, and have since used the Wispr (had to replace twice because of faulty ignition button, thank god for warranty!), Wispr 2 (got this as my replacement for the second Wispr I had to return) and Puffit.

I know a lot of people are looking for comparisons to the Solo or Pax, but all I can say is that this blows anything Iolite has done out of the water. I haven't found the right grind/amount/packing tightness yet but I'm already getting better clouds. I'm liking the variable temps too. Using the same materials, I feel I got way more medicated vape stepping from 370 to 385 to 400 than just the straight 410 degrees the Wispr 2 gives.

I too was pleased with the size. Even though I knew the dimensions, I was expecting it to be bigger and clunkier for some reason. Its no bigger than a smartphone with one of the rubber protection cases on it.

It hits so smoothly. One of the problems I had with the Wispr 2 is that the higher temperature seemed to make the vape dry and harsh. With the Ascent you really get a whole other level of flavor from the materials. I never really noticed before how much the silicone and metal affected the taste because it was just so much better than combustion.

It may be too early to tell on smell, but i don't think the Ascent smells any worse than the Wispr at this point.

If I have anything negative to say about it so far, it's only that there seems to be some condensation or scratching underneath my display screen. It was like this out of box and has not gotten any worse after a few uses. Certainly not a deal breaker though! I can't really comment on battery life yet as i have yet to use it while not plugged in.

The only advantage I can see an Iolite product having is the whole butane thing if you aren't around a power source. But even then I'd only use it as a back up after the battery of my Ascent ran out.

As far as the Puffit goes, they aren't even in the same league. The only thing the Puffit has going for it is the discreetness. I've been to concerts and sporting events where I've been searched, held it up to security along with my phone and no one has ever questioned me. Definitely couldn't do that with any Iolite, maybe with the Ascent.

Overall great machine and I know its only going to get better with time once I fully figure it out. The delays obviously sucked, but now that they're over it was definitely worth the wait. Great job DV!

Zorbak

Pics please? closeups of both connections?

here you go. the water adapter is almost twice as long as the normal glass stem

BTW, the little white piece in the tall stem is an 8mm carbon filter that I mash in there for additional filtering. I can't get the filter to fit in the normal stem, but it crams in the water adapter stem quite nicely

FJxeLM1.jpg

sxmokeUP

former combustionist
here you go. the water adapter is almost twice as long as the normal glass stem

BTW, the little white piece in the tall stem is an 8mm carbon filter that I mash in there for additional filtering. I can't get the filter to fit in the normal stem, but it crams in the water adapter stem quite nicely

FJxeLM1.jpg
Would you use that on a 45 degree glass piece.

sxmokeUP,

Zorbak

I personally wouldn't just because I wouldn't like to have to use the ascent upside down. I think it would work fine if you wanted to use it for that, though.

Zorbak,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Got my stealth yesterday. I impatiently plugged it in and used it right away. I just saw a comment that it said to let it charge fully before first use. Is that going to matter since it was plugged in during use?

First impression is that this is an awesome vape! My experience is pretty limited. I've never used a desk top model, only portables. I first bought an original Iiolite after seeing Ted Danson use it on Bored to Death, and have since used the Wispr (had to replace twice because of faulty ignition button, thank god for warranty!), Wispr 2 (got this as my replacement for the second Wispr I had to return) and Puffit.

I know a lot of people are looking for comparisons to the Solo or Pax, but all I can say is that this blows anything Iolite has done out of the water. I haven't found the right grind/amount/packing tightness yet but I'm already getting better clouds. I'm liking the variable temps too. Using the same materials, I feel I got way more medicated vape stepping from 370 to 385 to 400 than just the straight 410 degrees the Wispr 2 gives.

I too was pleased with the size. Even though I knew the dimensions, I was expecting it to be bigger and clunkier for some reason. Its no bigger than a smartphone with one of the rubber protection cases on it.

It hits so smoothly. One of the problems I had with the Wispr 2 is that the higher temperature seemed to make the vape dry and harsh. With the Ascent you really get a whole other level of flavor from the materials. I never really noticed before how much the silicone and metal affected the taste because it was just so much better than combustion.

It may be too early to tell on smell, but i don't think the Ascent smells any worse than the Wispr at this point.

If I have anything negative to say about it so far, it's only that there seems to be some condensation or scratching underneath my display screen. It was like this out of box and has not gotten any worse after a few uses. Certainly not a deal breaker though! I can't really comment on battery life yet as i have yet to use it while not plugged in.

The only advantage I can see an Iolite product having is the whole butane thing if you aren't around a power source. But even then I'd only use it as a back up after the battery of my Ascent ran out.

As far as the Puffit goes, they aren't even in the same league. The only thing the Puffit has going for it is the discreetness. I've been to concerts and sporting events where I've been searched, held it up to security along with my phone and no one has ever questioned me. Definitely couldn't do that with any Iolite, maybe with the Ascent.

Overall great machine and I know its only going to get better with time once I fully figure it out. The delays obviously sucked, but now that they're over it was definitely worth the wait. Great job DV!
My screen also looks like this. Like there's a film over the inside screen and the corner is lifting. Also the corners at the top center of the body were pulling away (I think the glue that davinci has sourced sucks ass) so I lifted the corner and put a drop of crazy glue on them to hold them down properly.

OF

Yes it matters. Using is not charging.

The charger can only provide a fraction of the needed total power in such systems, all you did is slow the discharge of the battery some.

The advice IMO is valid and should be followed if you want best battery life.

OF

Poopman525

Found this in the mail today, waiting for the initial charge. Impressed with the build quality, everything is actually a little smaller than I thought it would be, but in a good way. I'll be back later to post my first thoughts/impressions on it's actual function. But for now feast your eyes upon this

mta44i.jpg

Skulduggery

AScent silicon smell removal....use a cloth and white vinegar, wipe down all the black rubber sealers (top of mouth piece, above bowl, around bottom of glass)...however there appears to be a black silicon O-ring that separates the bowl from the grill and this one cannot be tended too. Except for this o-ring near the grill, the vinegar removed the smell from all other areas.

Vapnoob

Nubile Vaporist
Is there possibly a protective film on the screen? Like most electronics come with these days?

Vapnoob,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
AScent silicon smell removal....use a cloth and white vinegar, wipe down all the black rubber sealers (top of mouth piece, above bowl, around bottom of glass)...however there appears to be a black silicon O-ring that separates the bowl from the grill and this one cannot be tended too. Except for this o-ring near the grill, the vinegar removed the smell from all other areas.
I used ISO and it did the trick as well.

Adobewan

Thanks for the details Skul!
Waiting for mine but I always recommend coconut oil for removing smells off vapes, particularly silicone and rubber smells and tastes. Safe, smells and tastes good, works quick and like a charm every time.

OF

Thanks OF, hope my impatience didn't ruin my battery!

I don't think 'ruin' is the right word. It didn't help it any, but reduction in service life and capacity (hopefully both minor) are the downside here as I understand it.

The battery will die eventually no matter, but most guys want to get the most out of it in the process. I suspect you'll get plenty of enjoyment from it no matter.

OF

Top Bottom