Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

lwien

SM, what would you say about the Ascent's efficiency as far as how much herb it goes through to get your desired effect? I liked my Pax, but didn't like how much herb it went through.

Ya know, this is an interesting dynamic.

I used a PD exclusively for about 4 years. It was the absolute king of efficiency. 5 hits (2 strong, 3 not so strong) from a mere 0.025gr. That was one stems worth and 3/4 of a stem got me to where I wanted to be.

Got the LSV and I am now going through 2.5 to 3 times as much bud as I did with the PD, but what I didn't expect is that I didn't mind going through the additional bud and was more than willing to do so for the better taste. the faster high and the unrestricted vapor path. In essence, I willingly gave up the efficiency for the fun factor.

Doesn't sound like you had the same experience with the Pax, but the Ascent "may" provide the same experience as I had when I went from the PD to the LSV, but in the portable arena.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Sm any things you dont like about it?

Nothing major... I have to think about that one. I think some people will find the oil production less satisfying then say a dome-less nail or a oil pen... I don't think it will pack as strong of a one hit punch as those devices do.

SM, what would you say about the Ascent's efficiency as far as how much herb it goes through to get your desired effect? I liked my Pax, but didn't like how much herb it went through.

It is able to handle various size loads from like .02-.6 on a wide range of temperatures. the key is packing it down tight. I think it depends on how much you like to use. I find I can get 3 or 4 sessions form a bowl if I start around 400 and work my way up the dial slowly. The tastes stays around longer then say the PAX so I don't mind doing multiple sessions from one load.

Personally I pack it about .3 and that is enough for me for one or two sessions. One really big satisfying session, or several smaller ones. You can also turn it up and only take one or two draws at a time and then turn it off. So you could really prolong the effect that way. If I try and medicate that way I feel the effects for a few minutes but they fade fast.

I am a very heavy user with some pretty heavy usage requirements: An example: since I have been working in the yard this past month I have increased my usage to help my pain. I went through about 2 ounces in a month period where I would normally go through one.

The ascent works for me, but I have also noticed effects from smaller loads and one hit as well, so it should satisfy various tolerance levels.

brewer

It is able to handle various size loads from like .02-.6 on a wide range of temperatures. the key is packing it down tight. I think it depends on how much you like to use. I find I can get 3 or 4 sessions form a bowl if I start around 400 and work my way up the dial slowly. The tastes stays around longer then say the PAX so I don't mind doing multiple sessions from one load.

Personally I pack it about .3

Thanks man. Couple follow up questions. You say your getting multiple sessions from packing of a bowl. How quickly does the unit cool down? Does the unit continue to cook material between sessions?

Also, ancillary question, can you recommend an inexpensive scale that works down to .02 grams?

Thanks!

brewer,
Reactions: ShipDit

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Thanks man. Couple follow up questions. You say your getting multiple sessions from packing of a bowl. How quickly does the unit cool down? Does the unit continue to cook material between sessions?

Also, ancillary question, can you recommend an inexpensive scale that works down to .02 grams?

Thanks!

Cools completely down over a couple minutes. When you are done with it you can put it right back in your pocket. It does not keep cooking the material once it cool down some. You can draw through it while it cools down to assist in cooling it down quicker.

Sure this is my scale: American Weight Scale AC-100

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
How many hits in a session?

Super Short Session: 1-5 hits
Short Session 5-10 hits.
Medium Session 10-20 hits
Long Session 30+

After that it is quite popcorn. Still get a strong CBD and sedative effect though. The puck is very very dark brown if you take the extraction that far. I got about 50-ish draws out of a long all day load before it was really done... I sort of lost count towards the end.

I do about 3-10 second inhales. Sometimes longer at 20-30 seconds. I am sure the length of inhale would change the number of hits per session.

HSIHP

SliM FTW! Bringing it back to where it should be and doing it right. Do you think the updates that DaVinci said they were making will make a big difference? (AKA can this thing really get better?)

HSIHP,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
SliM FTW! Bringing it back to where it should be and doing it right. Do you think the updates that DaVinci said they were making will make a big difference? (AKA can this thing really get better?)

I kind of feel like anything they will do will be icing on the cake. I really like how it works now, and if it creates an improvement I am all for it. I don't think the changes will be a huge noticeable difference in performance from my current unit.

No portable can hit everyones marks because the criteria are so specific and diverse. I feel like the Ascent is one of the more adaptable units I have used... meaning it as long as you load it properly (pack it down) it will work for a wider range of usage styles then most others.

toros23

FYI - An official update about an update on DV FB page:

Happy Friday DaVinci fans!

We’re almost ready for launch time and an announcement is looming around the corner. The units are in production and as anticipated, the vapor lock seal ensures that the Ascent Vaporizer produces thick vapor clouds.

Although it’s been a hard decision to hold back this vape, we made the choice for the betterment of all vaporizer enthusiasts. You guys asked for the best and we are determined to give it to you. Stay tuned for additional updates!

Mods, sorry if this belongs in the other thread! Not trying to create work for you..

Zorbak

That sounds like good news to me.

SliM, I posted this question several pages back, but it quickly disappeared. i'm hoping since you are in possession of an ascent, you just might be able to answer this question for me. I'll basically repeat it.:

I'm one of those unfortunate rare people who has a hyper-sensitivity to both smoke and unfiltered vapor. I get terribly congested and my face swells up like a balloon if I smoke, or even if I vaporize, believe it or not. One hit of smoke makes me congested and miserable for several days.

I've found that if I fit a 9mm charcoal pipe filter into the mouthpiece of my "extreme q" vaporizer, I get all the benefits of the vapor, and don't suffer with terrible congestion.

The glass mouthpiece of the Ascent looks like it might be just the right size to fit one of these 9mm charcoal pipe filters into. Unfortunately, I don't have an ascent to test it out on, and I don't want to purchase one if the filter won't fit, since I wouldn't be able to use it. These filters can be found at any cigarette shop, and cost about 25 cents apiece.

If you could either determine that the mouthpiece is 9mm or test one of these carbon filters with the Ascent, I'd really be most grateful. thanks very much

Zorbak,
Reactions: Snappo

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Link me to the filters you are taking about and it will give me a better idea... I might be able to find some locally and test it out.

Slightly Medicated,

AscentiaL

We’re almost ready for launch time and an announcement is looming around the corner. The units are in production and as anticipated, the vapor lock seal ensures that the Ascent Vaporizer produces thick vapor clouds.

Although it’s been a hard decision to hold back this vape, we made the choice for the betterment of all vaporizer enthusiasts. You guys asked for the best and we are determined to give it to you. Stay tuned for additional updates!

It's not much, but it's something! I wonder whether they'll send their first finished units to different vendors at different times? Hope the announcement is a release date!

AscentiaL,

Herbal Ant

So...I'm guessing no oil then, it's ok if you don't have any, not going to hold it against you. ;) Everyone else has got an answer, your even going to go out and buy a filter to try in it for Zorbak, so why are you ignoring me? :hmm: I assure you it's a legitimate question, my old VB 2.0 also produced light wispy vapor for oils, until I happened to use it while it was plugged in.

Herbal Ant,

OF

So...I'm guessing no oil then, it's ok if you don't have any, not going to hold it against you. ;) Everyone else has got an answer, your even going to go out and buy a filter to try in it for Zorbak, so why are you ignoring me? :hmm: I assure you it's a legitimate question, my old VB 2.0 also produced light wispy vapor for oils, until I happened to use it while it was plugged in.

I'm having a little trouble following this, are you saying that because someone is willing to check something out for another member that they're now obligated to do you a favor too?

TIA

OF

Herbal Ant

I'm having a little trouble following this, are you saying that because someone is willing to check something out for another member that they're now obligated to do you a favor too?

TIA

OF

Don't start OF, all I'm asking him to do is use it while it's plugged in, I don't think that's an outrageous request or even constitutes as a favor...

Herbal Ant,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

TIA

OF
Don't start OF, all I'm asking him to do is use it while it's plugged in, I don't think that's an outrageous request or even constitutes as a favor...

Both of you should know better, given the history between you two. Just cut it out and ignore each other.

Don't make me come over there.

defy

SliM: Now that you've used the unit for a while, how do you feel the croc finish is going to hold up? Does it scuff easily? Is it still riding strong or do you see it one day peelling off?

~defy

defy,
Reactions: OF

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs

Sorry, I missed your question. I do address it in a previous answer though.

Nothing major... I have to think about that one. I think some people will find the oil production less satisfying then say a dome-less nail or a oil pen... I don't think it will pack as strong of a one hit punch as those devices do.

Personally, I don't like oils/waxes but I tried some full melt bubble recently. The full melt is dab-able on a nail, so I figured it is a comparable test. It works, but it does not produce ultra, ultra thick clouds. You are not going to get that one big instant dab hit like allot of concentrate/dabber users would expect. It does get you medicated though and works in that regard.

SliM: Now that you've used the unit for a while, how do you feel the croc finish is going to hold up? Does it scuff easily? Is it still riding strong or do you see it one day peelling off?

~defy
I think it is holding up great. I dropped it once and there was no scuffs. There is a metal ridge/trim part that sort of sticks out a little more.. It scrapped across the ground not the leather part. I don't think it will peal off very easily.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I'm one of those unfortunate rare people who has a hyper-sensitivity to both smoke and unfiltered vapor. I get terribly congested and my face swells up like a balloon if I smoke, or even if I vaporize, believe it or not. One hit of smoke makes me congested and miserable for several days.

I've found that if I fit a 9mm charcoal pipe filter into the mouthpiece of my "extreme q" vaporizer, I get all the benefits of the vapor, and don't suffer with terrible congestion.
I also am Hyper-sensitive to smoke in that my bronchials are always in a hyper-reactive somewhat inflamed state. They always feel stretched when taking in larger breaths. Probably not enough exercise is also my problem. I really shouldn't introduce anything but pure air into my lungs EVER, but that's not going to happen, so... that said, vapor is much more kind to my bronchials and lungs (I can tell...no chronic coughing or infections, but there is a little irritation and inflammation still).
I think the charcoal filter idea is OUTSTANDING! Even if those filters may not custom fit our stems, charcoal can be purchased for water-piece adapters that have charcoal compartments built in. I will search out some sites that I've seen them on and report back.

OK, I'm back! Check these out: http://aqualabtechnologies.com/glass-accessories/carbon-filters.html

I know you want to use carbon filtration direct from the vape, and not through water, so just attach one of the featured adapters to the end of the straight water stem that DaVinci will be providing, and vape directly from the open end of the adapter. Should work FANTASTICALLY!!!

Now that you've brought this to mind, I think I'm going to get one of the carbon adapters to go with my Solo (and my future Ascent), and I'll get back to you with an assessment on whether my bronchials thank me for it. I tend to think they will.

Also, if anyone can report back with ready-made carbon filters that snuggley fit into the glass stems so that they don't get stuck to the point that they can't be removed with ease...thanks in advance...we wanna know:cool:

Snappo,

salivape

SM, have you ever used a solo? If so, how do the hits compare in terms of tickling of the throat and coughing etc at high temps?

salivape,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
SM, have you ever used a solo? If so, how do the hits compare in terms of tickling of the throat and coughing etc at high temps?

Much better. I don't use the Solo I own much because I don't like the milk shake draw feeling. I have a couple of PVHE stems, but they still give me a tickling/coughing feeling. The ascent if not tickle free, but it is much smoother then the Solo. All dry vaporizers give me that tickling irritation to some degree.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Much better. I don't use the Solo I own much because I don't like the milk shake draw feeling. I have a couple of PVHE stems, but they still give me a tickling/coughing feeling. The ascent if not tickle free, but it is much smoother then the Solo. All dry vaporizers give me that tickling irritation to some degree.
With the Solo, I have learned to stop drawing just as the throat begins to feel that irritation (why rub it in?). Then, with following draws, I continue until satisfied:). Should be the same when I get my Ascent:clap:.

Snappo,

Zorbak

Thanks for the advice Snappo. I'm really hoping the small 9mm filters will do the trick. I need a vape that I can fit in my pocket and take biking or skiing, and that glass filter setup would be too cumbersome. I recommend the carbon filter for people who are really sensitive. I've been a smoker (never tobacco) for 23 years, and have struggled with this issue tremendously since I was 18. When I first tried a vaporizer years ago, I found it to be less congesting, but still bad enough to mess up my day. With this method I tried on a lark a couple months ago, for the first time in my adult smoking life, I can just enjoy the high without hacking up phlegm. It's Fing awesome!

Zorbak,
Reactions: Snappo
Top Bottom