Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
It's not just suggested in this thread that you need to have a backup. You need to have a backup with whatever vape you have. You don't want to go back to combusting, even for a short while. Have some inexpensive and reliable unit, when the time comes you will be ready. A Solo would be an excellent choice.

Part of the Girl Scout motto is to use resources wisely and make the world a better place.

OF

Agreed ,
Boy Scout's motto ' Be Prepared ' .

Well I was in Sea Scouts. As promised, they taught us how to use Sex Tents. Wasn't what I expected......

On the topic, backups to mission critical gear are a must. But IMO should normally give some thought to a different type of vape so you can enjoy it from time to time too. Maybe a VG? Or a personal fav, the Vapman. Or a MFLB if you've never tried one?

OF

Madflayva

Exactly so, to which I'd add: Give it plenty of time between hits to recover heat. 60 seconds is a good place to start, explore longer times as well as shorter. You need time for the glass in the flowers to recover their heat through the blanket of plant matter. Even though tiny, it takes time.

OF

That's a good point I hadn't considered. I'll hold off my zero patience and try this tonight and report back.

I did actually get a little more vapour using a different batch even though it wasn't quite as dry as the other one.

Can anyone advise if a small marble might work like the glass flowers?

Last edited:

CarolKing

A marble might be too big and you have to make sure it can withstand high temps. If you wanted to try something, you can buy glass beads at a hobby shop. I did that and they worked fine, but I wanted something I knew wouldn't break or be toxic.

Last edited:

OF

That's a good point I hadn't considered. I'll hold off my zero patience and try this tonight and report back.

I did actually get a little more vapour using a different batch even though it wasn't quite as dry as the other one.

Can anyone advise if a small marble might work like the glass flowers?

Good to hear, work with it, it's technique sensitive for sure. Pretty narrow minded in what it will do, kinda like some people.....

I never tried marbles, but I tried a couple different sizes of glass beads. They're better than noting, but basically from a surface area standpoint (what we really care about) it (a sphere) is the worst possible shape. Minimum surface area for the mass, which is why our planet is round. The flowers take this idea (surface area per gram if you will) to the extreme the other way. Better than more herb, but not much.

If you go with beads, go small, that too favors surface area (all else being the same).

You can get a pinch of flowers for ten bucks or so from Amazon or Ebay, I suggest you order some and give them a try, I don't think a single poster hasn't found them to be a big benefit? A PITA to some, and Nigel loves to break them, but they do boost vapor output and use less herb doing it.

OF

Norcalsun

I've never broken any glass flowers yet but I can see how it could easily happen. They are more time consuming and a slight pain in the butt, but they're worth it IMO. I use hemostats to place them in the bottom so I can get the stem pointed up. The flowers in the middle I simply drop in and the top flowers I push in with the stems pointed down.

CarolKing

Enjoying some Og Kush BHO mixed with some herb in my Ascent using my wood 14mm Eds Cocobolo Wong it works great as a mouthpiece. The Ascent can really get the job done. Hoping to get some good sleep tonight.

jay87

So my my carbon fiber ascent will randomly turn itself on and begin heating when it is plugged into the charger. It happens randomly but after it turns itself on, i can turn it back off, and it seems to charge normally. I have two different chargers and this occurs regardless of which charger i use.

What's up with that?

I don't think I've seen this issue being brought up here before but if it has any information is greatly appreciated.

jay87,

jmanvfl

What was I gonna put here......
I've only had mine for a couple weeks but so far so good. Sessions are quite rewarding. I as others have mentioned would like longer battery life, normally get 2 sessions on it. Out and about I have the MFLB and at home I have an old school California Vapor company table top to use so it's not that big of deal. Whenever the massdrop ships my Indica we'll see how that matches up

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
Just a note about the impact resistance of the Ascent. I noticed two dings in the case reminding me of two falls from my lap when standing up and exiting a car. My Carbon Fiber has no resulting loss of function.
I don't think the Ascent is fragile. Most likely it is made with good stuff not failing with moderate abuse.
I feel really bad about dinging my Carbon Fiber.:rockon:

Madflayva

Could somebody please post pics of how you load the flowers and herb in the bowl together? Not sure if I'm doing it the most effective way or not

Madflayva,
Reactions: CarolKing

CarolKing

On this thread it's been talked about at length. I'm not posting pictures but I will go over it one more time.

Add 2 glass flowers add a bit of herb add 2 more flowers add more herb, try to pack but it is difficult because the surface is bumpy. On top put 2 flowers with stems facing down to hold your herb in place. I use a bit of cotton on top, you don't have to. You may decide to use more flowers and less herb. That's what's so great about using the flowers, you can adjust the amount of herb you use. Less flowers more herb. I wouldnt go down lower than three glass flowers, they help distribute the heat through the load. Do some practicing to see what works best.

Set your temp to the desired heat level, I choose starting at 375 degrees or above then I work my way up to 395 or there about. It depends on the herb I'm vaping as to the temp, sometimes I go as high as 400. I don't go too much higher than that.

Very difficult to post pictures, I don't open my unit all the way. I use my iPad to take pictures. maybe someone else could post one.

This is all personal preference. You may come up with a different way that works better for you. Also I like using a Gong or Wong as a mouthpiece. It works better for me than the stock stems.

The wood stems from Ed's TnT work awesome with the Ascent.

Last edited:

Norcalsun

Could somebody please post pics of how you load the flowers and herb in the bowl together? Not sure if I'm doing it the most effective way or not

Six posts up I described the the way I load flowers. You really should read at least the last 5 pages before asking any questions at all you might learn some very helpful hints. This topic has been discussed in detail many times as many others have also.

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
Large loads and it's benefits

Most folks try to conserve expensive herb and are prone to use small loads in the Ascent. Also we know that various intoxicating compounds come out after the popcorn taste. I enjoy the anxiolytic and sedative qualities, and the taste of these compounds. It just seems to take long sessions for a minimal effect from the popcorn stage vaping.
Today I took my mobility assistance device out for a 45 min cruise through the hood and had loaded a much larger than normal load of about 0.6 grams in my Ascent. On the couch I'm doing 0.25 g loads.
Of course I enjoyed the prolonged sweet taste if the large load but when the popcorn taste started up I was getting really pleasant rushes with every hit, after hit, after hit...
Even though not as much vapor was being made, holding the hits dramatically escalated each rush.
There is a lot of medicine in the popcorn hits. I'm gonna make large loads for long cruises a routine.

CarolKing

My ABV after a 12 min session is usually too dark to save for edibles. Plus I don't trust the ABV because of possible little bits of broken glass, it could be dangerous IMO. Sometimes the little glass flowers break a little due to high temp.

This little vape packs a big punch. It does a good job of medicating, it's a nice size to curl up on the couch with.

CarolKing,
Reactions: Glass004

Techmob

I wanted a portable vaporizer

I have just ordered the ascent, I hope I don't regret it

Could of got the solo for £130 and paid more for this.

I already own a da buddha vaporizer

How would this compare?

hoptimum

I wanted a portable vaporizer

I have just ordered the ascent, I hope I don't regret it

Could of got the solo for £130 and paid more for this.

I already own a da buddha vaporizer

How would this compare?

It will not hit like the DBV, no portable will. But unlike the DBV and Solo, the Ascent will fit in your pocket and dispense vapor that is better tasting than most portables, with a 2 hour or so battery life. I have the Solo too, and Ive been using the Ascent more as a portable, while using desktops at home.

CarolKing

Toads, that stem looks beautiful with your Ascent. It's nice having a custom stem. Ed does such wonderful work. He puts a lot of himself into making those special wood pieces.

Madflayva

Six posts up I described the the way I load flowers. You really should read at least the last 5 pages before asking any questions at all you might learn some very helpful hints. This topic has been discussed in detail many times as many others have also.

I've actually read over 50 of the previous pages and have read a number of detailed posts on how people are utilising the glass flowers.

The reason I was hoping somebody would be able to post a pic of the flowers in the bowl is because I am assuming the flowers I have which were the only ones available to me must be much larger than what everyone else has because I can't fit more than two flowers in the bowl let alone 6 with herb everybody else seems to be doing...

Top Bottom