Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Urge

Well, I compared my glass tubes in the Ascent and, naturally, the pair I was using fit looser than the second set. I ordered some glass flowers here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-24-Glass-Daisy-Style-Pipe-Screens-/301171522611 for $5.59 plus free shipping. The comments on how to load the Ascent, packed, loose, full, just a little with lots of flowers or the oil jar on top. You guys aren't making it easier on noobs. Some people do long 10-20 sec draws some do short 3 sec draws and some are in between. What is a vaper to believe?

Urge

salivape

Well, I compared my glass tubes in the Ascent and, naturally, the pair I was using fit looser than the second set. I ordered some glass flowers here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-24-Glass-Daisy-Style-Pipe-Screens-/301171522611 for $5.59 plus free shipping. The comments on how to load the Ascent, packed, loose, full, just a little with lots of flowers or the oil jar on top. You guys aren't making it easier on noobs. Some people do long 10-20 sec draws some do short 3 sec draws and some are in between. What is a vaper to believe?

Urge

Wow and with free shipping to the UK! Bagged!

salivape,
Reactions: OF
Ok vape newb here!
My Ascent is in the mail, it was supposed to be here today actually, but~~ USPS.....
This is my first vaporizer; however I have used my friends Original DaVinci a couple of times! (loved it)

1. Early in this thread i was seeing a lot of information on Design flaws :(, but those were months ago and i know they have released updated models. Are these flaws for the most part fixed now?
  2. The packing issues are probably the most common issue people seem to be having as a response to this issue I have seen several solutions posted:
  • Pack it full (tightly or loosely?)
  • Use a medium grind (pics please!!)
  • form a ultra tight pack, I've come to understand is known as a "puck" (Canadians -_- and their hockey), but wouldn't this cause air flow problems with the bottom vents??
  • pack it (tight or loose) with larger grind on top, or with full buds, (pics please!)
  • Or purchase some glass inserts known as "Glass flowers".
I ordered some glass flowers here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-24-Glass-Daisy-Style-Pipe-Screens-/301171522611 for $5.59 plus free shipping. The comments on how to load the Ascent, packed, loose, full, just a little with lots of flowers or the oil jar on top. You guys aren't making it easier on noobs. Some people do long 10-20 sec draws some do short 3 sec draws and some are in between. What is a vaper to believe?Urge

(how do I/the-community find/use these?) http://www.amazon.com/Daisy-Style-Glass-Pipe-Screens/dp/B00K2H9D5Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1400102217&sr=8-4&keywords=Lot Daisy Pipe Screens Just found these... still not sure how to use them/if i can use them/ or if i even still need them with the newer models of the Ascent...
(How does one know if these are compatible with the Ascent?!?!?)

Some answers would be fantastic guys! :D
Thanks

I bought mine from Toronto Vape! Came with a free $50 grinder as a promotion with quick shipping! http://torontovaporizer.ca/portable-vaporizers/ascent-vaporizer.html (edit)

Last edited:
Bwellsascent,
Reactions: OF

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I don't know anything about design flaws. I think once you get your unit and you are able to get acquainted with it and you can try it out, some things might make sense. Sometimes is trial and error. You will have a lot of homework to do.

It is difficult to pack tight when using the glass flowers because you put some herb in and you put the flowers in after. Then you put more herb and more flowers, I usually try to to put 2 flowers with the stems facing down on top to help hold the herb in place. The surface is bumpy and uneven. I think those not using the flowers are able to pack tighter.

If I were you I would go back over some of Nigel and OFs posts regarding the Ascent. I think you have too many well wishers trying to help and maybe it's a bit overwhelming. Not everyone has the same technique, what one person likes another person might not. Sometimes it comes down to personal preference.

Last edited:

OF

(how do I/the-community find/use these?) http://www.amazon.com/Daisy-Style-Glass-Pipe-Screens/dp/B00K2H9D5Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1400102217&sr=8-4&keywords=Lot Daisy Pipe Screens Just found these... still not sure how to use them/if i can use them/ or if i even still need them with the newer models of the Ascent...
(How does one know if these are compatible with the Ascent?!?!?)

Some answers would be fantastic guys! :D
Thanks

As CK so correctly says, too many good folks with good ideas. You should do your own exploring, make your own mistakes.......

Those are the flowers most of us used (I don't own one, the Ascent I tested was on loan from Nigel). I'm sure you're not looking for 'huge clouds' (although some of the guys are.....) but the flower idea came from beads which came from careful temperature measurements that kind of 'unlocked' this area for play and profit. It all started about here:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ascent-vaporizer-by-davinci.9885/page-114#post-462437

Lots of good stuff followed as guys got on board.

OF

If I were you I would go back over some of Nigel and OFs posts regarding the Ascent. I think you have too many well wishers trying to help and maybe it's a bit overwhelming. Not everyone has the same technique, what one person likes another person might not. Sometimes it comes down to personal preference.

Thanks for the Quick response!
I Recall seeing A LOT of Nigel and OF posts while going through here lol.
I've been looking for some How to videos on the Ascent and haven't found any.
When using GFs do you still need to pack a lot of herb? (edit)

Well I intend to break that sucker in this weekend (i'm hosting a BBQ) I suppose ill give the ascent a shot then an see if i should buy the GFs :)

BTW! what is so bad about pucking i've seen a alot of "fuck pucking comments" or "fuck puck"???

As CK so correctly says, too many good folks with good ideas. You should do your own exploring, make your own mistakes.......

Those are the flowers most of us used (I don't own one, the Ascent I tested was on loan from Nigel). I'm sure you're not looking for 'huge clouds' (although some of the guys are.....) but the flower idea came from beads which came from careful temperature measurements that kind of 'unlocked' this area for play and profit. It all started about here:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ascent-vaporizer-by-davinci.9885/page-114#post-462437

Lots of good stuff followed as guys got on board.

OF
TY SO MUCH!

Last edited by a moderator:

OF

Thanks for the Quick response!
I Recall seeing A LOT of Nigel and OF posts while going through here lol.

Yer welcome. It's really all Nigel's fault, you know, he started it.......

Enjoy the BBQ and testing, but take my advice and order the flowers now? It's not many dollars and your sure to want to try them out. Even if they're not for you (seems very rare.....) you'll want to know that?

OF

Yer welcome. It's really all Nigel's fault, you know, he started it.......

Enjoy the BBQ and testing, but take my advice and order the flowers now? It's not many dollars and your sure to want to try them out. Even if they're not for you (seems very rare.....) you'll want to know that?

OF
Ya know what, Im gonna buy them right now!
.. there are a bunch of negative reviews on the page W/e GOIN FOR IT!

OF you should do a Youtube Tutorial for the GFs!
That'd be fantastic!

Edit: THANKS! (didn't want to be an ungrateful douche :p)
EDIT @OF After Reviewing the forums again what happened to the Glass sombrero idea that DaVinci was thinking about???? I've gone though a considerable amount of the forum starting that the link you gave me and i have yet to find anything... I'm now on Pg 185 D:

Last edited:

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
I sent my croc skin back to Davinci and got my Carbon Fiber exchange from GotVape. I love the taste.
I am using my units frequently but gently. I am glad I went ahead and bought a backup unit. Its utility is proven and it will be nice having a charged backup for excursions in the outdoors.
I also got my set of wooden stems from Eds. There is a slight taste imparted by the wood. Not unpleasant at all. What I do like is the screen set up with the wood stems. It works way better than the glass screen setup. No particles get by the screen so you don't have to clean the stem as much. There is only resin to clean. I use a small brush I got with the magic box to clean the screen with each load. The screen stays wedged into the flair depression. I don't pack the load. I do stir it after 20 minutes. I do like the taste and strong effect even 30 minutes into a load at 430 degrees.

Glass004,

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
@Glass004 -- Did you try the new charger on the other unit before sending it back?

The screen on Ed's stem is a metal screen, right? I'd expect that work much better than the glass screen, but then again, it's not glass. For what they were able to do with the glass screen, I think they did a good job.
[NOTE: Not a negative comment on Ed's stems at all... just pointing out that some people want all glass. If they don't, there are metal screens included with the Ascent. I plan on picking up Ed's WonG for the Ascent soon, despite my inclination to glass. ;) ]

nigel,
Reactions: Glass004

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
@Glass004 -- Did you try the new charger on the other unit before sending it back?

The screen on Ed's stem is a metal screen, right? I'd expect that work much better than the glass screen, but then again, it's not glass. For what they were able to do with the glass screen, I think they did a good job.
[NOTE: Not a negative comment on Ed's stems at all... just pointing out that some people want all glass. If they don't, there are metal screens included with the Ascent. I plan on picking up Ed's WonG for the Ascent soon, despite my inclination to glass. ;) ]
The screen on Eds system is metal. I do not anticipate problems. The temps are so low I dont see any reactivity with the herb. The resin so far has not clogged the metal screen up. For the purist, the wood does have a different taste, not as clean. I just like not having to clean the glass.
I like having clean extra mouthpiece stems. They get kinda crusty with resin. I keep an ISO soak jar for the glass as well. Its getting kinda dark inside of it. I store the extra stems in the side pocket of my "PackRat"
I never used screens for the glass stems. I couldn't figure out the setup for it. I am kinda slow I guess.

Glass004,
Reactions: nigel

kenny241

The ascent is a multi-purpose device, that is why there are so many ways to load, grind, and use at different temps and also how many users you are setting the unit up to use with at that time. The flowers are a way to take up some space and give it heating mass to keep the temp from changing too much, the oil can will work the same way but you can pack the unit, when you use the can and layer underneath you will get darker abv in the oil can. but the unit will work with little or larger amounts you just need to work with your technique, and also do you expect large clouds of vapor?

Ok.....
So I got my Ascent (stealth) today! YAYYYYYYY! Right?

So there's a few things:

It still has a scyilicon taste and smell (I Wiped the stems and bowl down with an isopropyl alcohol que-tip, rinsed the stems, dryed everything, and then ran 30 min 430* off gas test 3 or 4 times. No sign of vapor but there is a funny taste and smell to the vape) , the stems don't seem to fit well at all(Like i could rattle them quite a bit (and one of the glass filters came broken), There's scuffs on the screen and what looks like minute amounts of glue both a beige and clear color around the exterior rims of the bottom half.
In addition when you draw the stem out it tugs on the silicon so much that the scyilicon is slightly drawn up aswell... to the point where wires and curcut bords are visible...
I havent seen amything like this on here so far, is that normal?
With all these probalemes what do you all think i should do, Rma, or just wait it out?

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Ok.....
So I got my Ascent (stealth) today! YAYYYYYYY! Right?

So there's a few things:

It still has a scyilicon taste and smell (I Wiped the stems and bowl down with an isopropyl alcohol que-tip, rinsed the stems, dryed everything, and then ran 30 min 430* off gas test 3 or 4 times. No sign of vapor but there is a funny taste and smell to the vape) , the stems don't seem to fit well at all(Like i could rattle them quite a bit (and one of the glass filters came broken), There's scuffs on the screen and what looks like minute amounts of glue both a beige and clear color around the exterior rims of the bottom half.
In addition when you draw the stem out it tugs on the silicon so much that the scyilicon is slightly drawn up aswell... to the point where wires and curcut bords are visible...
With all these probalemes what do you all think i should do, Rma, or just wait it out?

A new vape delivered before the weekend is ALWAYS a great feeling

1) It'll take a few days for that taste and smell to go away - that's normal.

2) No sign of vapor - READ the past 10-20 pages, the same thing is discussed over and over

3) The stems was discussed a few pages back - it's recommended to pair them up to find the best 'fit' - but since you have a broken glass inner stem, it doesn't really matter - the two stems always have a gap between them - if they were too tight, you'd never get them apart!

4) The glue on the screen - how bad is it? Can you take picts? Mine has some hazing on the sides of the screen, but it's not very visible when the unit is on.

5) The silicon tugging on the outer glass stem when retracted is normal - this has been reported before. Give it a week and the silicon will loosen up a bit and not tug as hard on the stem when retracting it.

I'd complain about the broken glass inner stem, and demand a spare set. The only other thing I'd be concerned about is the screen - is it still readable? What model do you have - 1AA1 or 2AA1? (It's on the box, first 4 letters of the serial number)

A new vape delivered before the weekend is ALWAYS a great feeling

1) It'll take a few days for that taste and smell to go away - that's normal.

2) No sign of vapor - READ the past 10-20 pages, the same thing is discussed over and over

3) The stems was discussed a few pages back - it's recommended to pair them up to find the best 'fit' - but since you have a broken glass inner stem, it doesn't really matter - the two stems always have a gap between them - if they were too tight, you'd never get them apart!

4) The glue on the screen - how bad is it? Can you take picts? Mine has some hazing on the sides of the screen, but it's not very visible when the unit is on.

5) The silicon tugging on the outer glass stem when retracted is normal - this has been reported before. Give it a week and the silicon will loosen up a bit and not tug as hard on the stem when retracting it.

I'd complain about the broken glass inner stem, and demand a spare set. The only other thing I'd be concerned about is the screen - is it still readable? What model do you have - 1AA1 or 2AA1? (It's on the box, first 4 letters of the serial number)

I have a 2AA1
The screen is completely readable its just annoying in certain lights
I don't think the Glue is a problem its along the ridges that go along the outside of the ascent and there seems to be a bit next to the grill on the bottom.
I'm gonna complain about the stems i don't think ill RMA though

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
Okay, I'll try this a second time: @Glass004 -- Did you try the new charger on the other unit before sending it back?

After Reviewing the forums again what happened to the Glass sombrero idea that DaVinci was thinking about???? I've gone though a considerable amount of the forum starting that the link you gave me and i have yet to find anything... I'm now on Pg 185 D:

It turned out the sombrero didn't work as well as expected, so they have moved on to other ideas.

PS: Thanks for actually reading through the thread. :)

Congrats on the new vape! You will really enjoy it.

As mentioned the "new vape smell" should dissipate over time. The stems will have varying degrees of fit, but definitely you should get the broken one replaced. The cosmetic issues are I'm sure a disappointing point to a new device but once you get into full swing of using it, you'll most likely not notice them. :)

The silicone top producing a gap when pulled up is something @KeroZen has covered well, and came up with a clever fix for. Read back a few pages.

d00d, you keep encroaching on my job of telling people "to read the bloody thread before posting". :rofl::rofl:

(you'll just see that the rubberlike surface has slightly worn off in a small area, which I do not consider a serious flaw).

That sucks about the display. :( I'd definitely contact DV to see what they have to say. I didn't see the worn area in the photo, but I do see the blistering on the rubbery surface. The only time I've seen something like that is when someone put ISO on a hot unit, albeit that was visually different. Any chance you got the unit wet in usage? Some water (or a gin & tonic if that is more to your tastes ;) ) on the unit in operation, could damage the OLED. (I couldn't really see the "crack" on the screen but could see that the display is messed up.)

Reflections

Looks great Carol..I have the ascent also and used the gong also instead of the stem...is the draw the same? Thanks for the pics... love the purple flowers 2 :nod:

CarolKing

It's similar to the glass gong but with an earthy taste, the draw seems to be equal to the glass. I've heard some comment about the lack of vapor I don't notice that with the Ascent. The wood has a different feel than the glass but in a good way. I notice a little less vapor cloud more with the Solo using the wood but it gets me medicated the same as the glass so thats what matters. I don't have to worry about breakage during my my daily activities and it adds to the beauty of my vaporizer.

Ed takes a lot of care and pride in making these pieces. Ed, I appreciate all your talent.

Last edited:

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
Okay, I'll try this a second time: @Glass004 -- Did you try the new charger on the other unit before sending it back?
.)
Sorry for the delayed response Nigel, and I do appreciate your help., Being electrically inclined, that was the very first thing I did was to test with second charger. I also had a third charger in the 12V car adaptor I used as well. That would be the most obvious first step to most people. Its the first question asked by CJ at DaVinci. I think I am pretty "with it" to have two other chargers to use for diagnostics. I planned ahead, as a good Eagle Scout should. I use my 500 watt inverter unit with the 2nd 120V Ascent charger in my car as the 12V adaptor sold by DaVinci is almost nonfunctional.

Meanwhile I continue to enjoy Eds stem on my backup carbon fiber Ascent unit I just got back from GotVape. I must emphasize the wonderful debri free vaporization it provides with the metal screen wedged up in the silicon flair depression.

I have attached the nice 14 mm glass water adapter I got from DaVinci to a 5 foot coiled plastic tube. Without having to use water, the tube cools the vapor well and provides a cool vapor experience on the road. The long coil length allowed the Ascent to sit on the car seat between us as my son and I shared a righteous load during a recent road trip. @CarolKing I am envious of your water adapter and will have to get one too. It is very elegant in appearance.

I am getting some black discolored sputum without a history of combustion. I reckon its ABV powder that got past the glass stems. The silver wire screen provided with Eds stems are very fine. Dust accumulates over the screen which I brush off with a small brush that came with the magic box vap. I am hoping the filtration of Eds system will clear up the sputum.

CarolKing

Glass004, Have you tried using organic cotton on top of your herb? The cotton will help to hold down the herb and take up space too. I use cotton quite a bit in several vaporizers. After you use the cotton (until it's stiff) you can vape the cotton in one of your vaporizers. You can get several draws off the leftover oil in the cotton.

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
Glass004, Have you tried using organic cotton on top of your herb? The cotton will help to hold down the herb and take up space too. I use cotton quite a bit in several vaporizers. After you use the cotton (until it's stiff) you can vape the cotton in one of your vaporizers. You can get several draws off the leftover oil in the cotton.
I am down for a new experience Ms CarolKing. Would you provide me with a link to a source for the organic cotton? Or do I use an old cotton t-shirt ;-) ? Or cotton from the top of a tablet bottle?
I do have the glass flowers on order per your posting experiences. It just keeps getting better. Thanks to everyone for help and entertainment.

Glass004,
Reactions: CarolKing

CarolKing

You can find organic cotton off Amazon. I've seen it health food stores. You can buy it by the bag. I've had mine for a number of years, I can't even remember where I bought it? Drugs stores may have it in some areas. You can buy the cotton that's not organic, but you don't know what's in it.

It's under Vapor Related Equipment, sub thread: Vaping with Cotton.

Last edited:
Top Bottom