Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

kahlilhc

Vaped Crusader/Serial Vapist
Can you Ascent owners honestly tell me if the Ascent can get as good clouds as the Solo, because a Solo on
level 5 gives MONSTER hits.........can the Ascent keep up, or does the vapour get too hot with high temps? Also a Solo on level 2 or 3 is full of pure flavour, is there really such a taste difference with the Ascent( besides the alleged "rubbery" one)?

kahlilhc,

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
Can you Ascent owners honestly tell me if the Ascent can get as good clouds as the Solo, because a Solo on
level 5 gives MONSTER hits.........can the Ascent keep up, or does the vapour get too hot with high temps? Also a Solo on level 2 or 3 is full of pure flavour, is there really such a taste difference with the Ascent( besides the alleged "rubbery" one)?

i can tell you My Ascent blows clouds like a Solo and tastes as good as a solo. My Ascent also extracts better than a Solo. i still love my Solo though... i just use my Ascent more now

MrNaturalAZ

Tree hugging dirt worshipper
Been a lurker for a while; finally registered so I could participate!

I recently got an Ascent - it's a 1AA1 Stealth. Scored a good deal on eBay - seller said it was a display unit from a vape convention, had never been actually 'used' other than powered up empty for demonstration. I was a bit concerned over whether I'd made a purchase mistake after reading through this entire thread while waiting for it to arrive, but my fears were unwarranted as so far I am quite pleased.

The unit arrived in as-new condition, with box and all the bits and bobs. I experienced no off-gassing or 'new vape taste' -- either it had already been burned off in the course of dry demo-ing, or it just didn't have it.

As for performance, I'm quite pleased so far. I used a fluffy grind, full-but-not-packed bowl. It had one of the metal screens already in the bottom of the bowl so I left it there. Nothing on top.

I got no hughe lung-busting clouds out of it, but then again that's not what I wanted nor expected. I got great taste and light-but-visible vapor. And definitely satisfyingly medicated.

That was the first session. Subsequent sessions on a used bowl are not as yummy as the first (I guess the flavor components - turpenes? flavinoids? - are the first to vape off) but neither do they taste bad, and still effective medication.

I find if I draw slowly enough I don't get bits in my mouth, but faster draws and I will. I may try one of the metal screens on top, but it's far from a deal-breaker. It kindof works as a reminder to draw slowly.

I don't know if I have any issues with air leaks; I know if I cover the bottom grille with my hand it still draws easily. I'd expect to have some resistance. I may try an experiment with a broccoli rubber band around the point where the bowl section meets the main unit so as to effectively seal that part just to see if it make any difference in functionality.

Bottom line? I'm very pleased with my Ascent, and it is now my favorite. For reference, I also own a DragonLite (MFLB knock-off) and a VapoRite Blown (whip-style convection table-top).

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
There are several pages where the Ascent and the Solo are compared by the vapor clouds, compared how well medicated you can get and how much herb you use, plus much more info. Spend some time reading through the forum. Check on Nigel and Of's postings. Congratulations on your new Ascent, I'm glad you like it.
Happy Vaping

Last edited:

proghead

My 2 week experience with new Ascent was a total disappointment as well as for friends, some having already disposed of their units after giving up on ways to get any significant vapor production.

I am glad I haven't left my review in the vendor's site yet and hope this thread may help me not miss out on the esthetics and battery life...
I apologize for needing to ask help w this 182 page thread.

CAN anyone be so KIND to direct me to past pages (#s) or provide me info on:

#1 ways to get the CRYSTAL FLOWERS for insertion w material in the bowl?

# 2 Any technique or tricks that have continued to produce acceptable vapor from stock units for those of you that have reached a level of customer satisfaction, PLEASE!

Many Blessings to all

proghead,
Reactions: Snappo

CarolKing

My 2 week experience with new Ascent was a total disappointment as well as for friends, some having already disposed of their units after giving up on ways to get any significant vapor production.

I am glad I haven't left my review in the vendor's site yet and hope this thread may help me not miss out on the esthetics and battery life...
I apologize for needing to ask help w this 182 page thread.

CAN anyone be so KIND to direct me to past pages (#s) or provide me info on:

#1 ways to get the CRYSTAL FLOWERS for insertion w material in the bowl?

# 2 Any technique or tricks that have continued to produce acceptable vapor from stock units for those of you that have reached a level of customer satisfaction, PLEASE!

Many Blessings to all

The Glass Tobacco Pipe Screens - Daisey/Flower Style 40pieces $7.00. Those are through Amazon online. Check out of's post #4431 and Nigel's post #4434. There is a lot of talk throughout the thread about the glass flowers.

bassman

Purchased ascent Nov 11th from davanci stop working a week before Xmas.1AA1 stealth davanci has it been a week since they had it .No response from davanfi yet
Takes about 2 weeks.Just email them. Their customer service is outstanding. I just got my 3rd one back today. It was 2 weeks to the day

bassman,

Norcalsun

I was just playing with my Ascent and got a very dense bud of GSC, broke it a part with my fingers not quite as fine as for rolling a joint, then I semi-loosely packed it in the bowl and stuck two glass flowers on top with the stems down, like thumbtacks. I set temp at 390F and hit it very slow at first then I began to start taking small puffs while hitting. This produced very good clouds. I moved up to a max of only 396F and kept getting big hits. Very impressed, maybe the best clouds yet. It's that learning curve.

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
I semi-loosely packed it in the bowl and stuck two glass flowers on top with the stems down, like thumbtacks... It's that learning curve.

The general rule I use is just to fill the bowl, be it herb flowers or glass flowers.

Seems to work, but I have so little product in there that there is a lot of glass on top. Maybe that's why I keep breaking so many.
;)

nigel,
Reactions: Shrike

Norcalsun

I'm using them like thumbtacks to keep the bud down and to block particles from entering the using the technique I just described, I definitely got the best high yet. It's not as sedating as a joint and doesn't seem to effect my eyes as much. It's a different high but still enjoyable. I'm still trying to find a more sedating high at minimal temps.

CarolKing

It's that damn learning curve alright, the Ascent makes learning fun. I've been filling the bowl with about 6 flowers, it fills the bowl by almost 3/4 and then I add the herb. With a little cotton on top.

The taste is wonderful and it's doing the job in the medicating department. Thank you Davinci.

Last edited:
Just wrote the "please start my return" email. Will they take a return if it's been used a couple of times? I hope so. It only seems fair since I feel like I've been poisoned a little bit by the fumes from this thing.

I got it 2 days ago and I think I have almost all the problems. The smell is unbearable. Air leaks. Panel falling off. Off-gassing like crazy. Battery seems to die really quick. It seems to get too hot, turning the product almost black at 200C.

I have it about 5 feet away from me on a table and i can smell it from here.

I have the burl with the 1aa1 serial number, if that means anything.

I am disappointed that it doesn't work, and I am even more disappointed that I sold my solo to a friend the day the ascent shipped. I have an EQ at home, but I am trying to go completely combustion free. The solo wasn't quite portable enough, but I will have to compromise since vapor quality turns out to be the most important factor for me.

Off to order a new solo. Sadness.

It's things like this that concern me about buying one though... because I am quite sensitive to any unpure smells, so if the solo happens to be more pure then it's gotta be the vape for me, but I can't really figure it out, it's difficult to find the comparisons in the 182 pages of posts, even when I use the search feature...

StraightChill,
Reactions: CarolKing

Osn Dosn

Haha, absolutely the same here. Totally satisfied now.

It feels like it got tuned in, even though there's nothing that can get better by usage from what I see.

Only thing is that I just used it a couple of days as a cigarette replacement, with a mixture of 1 part mint, two parts sage + ~5% tobacco and trees, which worked and tasted pretty well btw. This had as a result that the wide part of the glass stem got pretty oily and therefore its holes got tighter, and so the filtering effect is enough to not need a cotton filter anymore.

Can't say my 'technique' improved much neither. Pack the bowl fully loose or partly and pushed down.
The overall medication effect (ok mostly recreational) is absolutely satisfying for the amount I use. Very slow but long hits mostly. Good visible vapor production at least at temps above 195° C (now what is that in F uuuh :p ). No super thick clouds though, but no lung or throat irritation at all, so for me it just hits the spot.
My Plenty had thicker clouds but made me cough a lot, with an overall identical effect, so I came to the point that it really just is a psychological aspect.
So my advise for all dissatisfied users here - besides all the points which have been pointed out and the material you use - : forget about the clouds and just listen to what the clouds in your head say.

And you can assure yourself that there is vapor by just nipping on it without inhaling..you'll pretty sure see vapor escaping - or you can inhale and not just breath out but putting it deeply outta your lungs, I always see more vapor this way.

Regarding the seal tightness: I use it while it's on, so I can't really see things escape.

The fear of the rubbery smell or taste shouldn't be one imo neither. Mine has had a smell in the very beginning, but it took only 1-2 sessions to make it go away, and from what I can see here everyone is experiencing the same, so that shouldn't be a downside. The real taste of the Ascent is beautifully clear. [not speaking for defect products ofc]

Happy & peaceful weekend to all of you ;)

CarolKing

It's things like this that concern me about buying one though... because I am quite sensitive to any unpure smells, so if the solo happens to be more pure then it's gotta be the vape for me, but I can't really figure it out, it's difficult to find the comparisons in the 182 pages of posts, even when I use the search feature...

My Ascent had a new smell in the beginning. I did a couple of burnoffs at 420 degrees. At first I did notice a plastic smell and a little plastic taste the first few times I used the Ascent with herb. I was a little worried because I had already sent my first Ascent back.

After about the fourth time I used it there was no more plastic taste or smell.

I've had my unit since the middle of October and have no problems so far.
The taste is wonderful. There takes a little practice to get things right. Remember a slow draw gets you where you want to be with the Ascent or the Solo.

Either portable the Ascent or the Solo would be a good investment.

My biggest concern now after looking more thoroughly over this thread is about how well sealed the air path really is from the circuitry... I noticed a lot of pictures and talk about exposed wires and unconnected sections inside the stem portion of the Ascent and I'm wondering if anyone can look and check to see if it's been corrected to be one whole piece of silicone where the straws are or if it's still not 100% sealed, because I really couldn't fathom why it wouldn't be, it's such a no brainer when it comes to designing a safe quality high end premium vaporizer, but I can't figure out if they really addressed that or not because they never mention it in an of their posts (Davinci's posts).

Pictures are awesome if anyone's willing to snap one too!

StraightChill,

CarolKing

What you're seeing is early on in the thread isn't it? Those were the early units. Idon't remember seeing anything lately regarding exposed wires.

I'm not sure if Ascent has anymore early units out there that the company's are selling. I was under the impression probably not. But i don't know. Maybe someone could address that. It seems to me DV said there aren't any out there.

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Yes, it was throughout the earlier half of the thread mostly when people were talking about it, but I'd never seen if there was a resolution to that or not... It seemed like everyone at least had open space between the top and the bottom of the tunnel that the stem goes into, which is what I'm wondering is if they did actually change that design or not

StraightChill,

Osn Dosn

to be one whole piece of silicone

one piece of silicone it is. no exposed wires anywhere.

And I'm proud to announce that I developed a technique to reduce offgasing while heating up or taking a break to think by 97% - out of pure fortuitousness, like many genius serendipities.

The technique might seem quite hard at first, but if you don't stop believing you'll feel it one day..
It's kinda impossible to describe, but the basic steps are:

place bottom of Ascent on belly, finger on the hole

IMG_20140111_203540.jpg

CarolKing

I've looked inside my unit with a flashlight, I see no exposed wires between the bowl and where you draw from. To me it looks all sealed up inside. I don't take pictures and post, maybe another member can do that for you.

Osn Dosn

I've looked inside my unit with a flashlight, I see no exposed wires between the bowl and where you draw from. To me it looks all sealed up inside. I don't take pictures and post, maybe another member can do that for you.

Did that too and wanted to take a picture but..there's nothing to see..simply a straight black tunnel.

Top Bottom