Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

lwien

....we know it to be more of a range.) If what you are targeting has a point of 365°, if you drop it to 364° (again: gross over-simplification), you cease vaporizing it. So, it is NOT boiling off in-between hits.

With the boiling point of THC being 315F, I don't agree that the Ascent ceases vaporizing in-between hits, or when it is heating up to 385 or cooling down from 385. CBD's begin to boil off at 320F. As compared to a 100% convection vape where you can immediately cease heat of any kind right before and right after the hit, I don't see how a vape that works with this much conduction going on be quite as efficient but I sure as hell am gonna try to get it as close to the efficiency of a pure convection vape as I can.

I already gave up about 25% of efficiency when I went from my PD to my LSV. I'm willing to give up just a little bit more, but not much more.

Last edited:

Forsaken

Did you say "...static/buzzing/cracking noise" above 300*F? Is that what you've been hearing? I'd like to hear from a good number of Ascent users to determine whether this is common to them or not. For those who might think that I am calling into question a possible flaw, or that I'm on some sort of a witch hunt, I am not. Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Thanks for helping me bring some attention to this, most people have answered that they don't hear anything. Perhaps I wasn't specific enough, the "crackling" type sounds can only be heard if you put the device right next to your ear while it's heating/maintaining a fairly high temperature.

The sounds is pretty quiet overall, so if the device isn't right next to your ear nothing can be hard.

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I'm considering contacting DV while I'm still within the 14 days of ownership.

I do hope more people respond to this inquiry.

Strongly appreciate everyone's time!

Forsaken,
Reactions: Snappo

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
With the boiling point of THC being 315F, I don't agree that the Ascent ceases vaporizing in-between hits, or when it is heating up to 385 or cooling down from 385. CBD's begin to boil off at 320F. As compared to a 100% convection vape where you can immediately cease heat of any kind right before and right after the hit, I don't see how a vape that works with this much conduction going on be quite as efficient but I sure as hell am gonna try to get it as close to the efficiency of a pure convection vape as I can.

Well, I did EXPLICITLY point out it was a GROSS over-simplification, and I did NOT mention a specific component (there are MANY that people want to extract, and certainly NOT THC all by itself [Studies have demonstrated that a combination of terpenoids with a 50% solution of THC has a significantly higher reported affect than 100% THC solution.]), but my point still stands. If you hit at 385°F and by flooding the oven, drop the temp by 100°F, you stop boiling off anything above 285°F. When it raises the first temp of the first compound you want to hit, *then* it starts boiling *those* volatiles again. I will grant that there is a gap there until it gets back to 380°F. But as previously mentioned, outside of the two minor means of loss I mentioned, one just can't claim "magic."

Of course, I mitigate any potential loss by serially sipping like it's a fine cognac.
:) :)

I sure as hell am gonna try to get it as close to the efficiency of a pure convection vape as I can.

For those about to vape (in the name of science), we salute you!
:science::rockon::science::rockon::science::rockon:

[I'd try the 0.05g with the glass flowers, but I don't have @lwien's tolerance, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be a good judge other than draw count (which is less subjective and more objective).]

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Thanks for helping me bring some attention to this, most people have answered that they don't hear anything. Perhaps I wasn't specific enough, the "crackling" type sounds can only be heard if you put the device right next to your ear while it's heating/maintaining a fairly high temperature.

The sounds is pretty quiet overall, so if the device isn't right next to your ear nothing can be hard.

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I'm considering contacting DV while I'm still within the 14 days of ownership.

I do hope more people respond to this inquiry.

Strongly appreciate everyone's time!
I wouldn't necessarily suggest that anything is really wrong with a heating element that hums and sings the Rice Krispies jingle, as heating elements of various types often do (due to relays, vibrating tensioned coils, alternating currents, expansion, etc.). But if it works fine otherwise, yet the sounds make you somewhat unsure or uncomfortable, perhaps DV will accommodate you with a replacement. Chances are that the next one will be silent, I would guess. Enjoy!

Conky

I noticed the ticking noise on both of mine, but not every time and it took a while for me to even notice it the first time.
It's quiet enough where I would guess most, if not all, of the units do it, but you wouldn't know it because of other noise in the room or it not being close enough. I really need to have it next to my ear to hear it, so if I were to use it in a social setting or with music playing I'd probably need it pressed to my ear to hear it.
I could also be completely off my rocker, it's been known to happen.

nigel

With the LSV, .05gr now lasts me two days...

I plan on loading the Ascent up with the same amount that I use in my LSV, which is approximately .05gr.

@lwien -- new idea!

Instead of focusing on the number of draws (which, obviously be affected by device and other variables), why not say F! that and just focus on amount of product (which you know already)?

Instead of two days worth, put *ONE* days worth in there for comparison. And instead of focusing on draw count, just go to town! You know you won't use more than what you put in. Start at 320°F (or 350°F or whatever) and just keep on sippin'! Temp-step it up. Sip, sip, sip!

I feel focusing on the draw is the wrong direction to take (too many variables in switching to a new unknown device). Instead, fix the amount of product.

Now, 0.025g *might* be too tiny to deal with, but it is worth a shot.

It doesn't seem like you are a cloud chaser. :) I am not. Not trying to get into anyone's flame war here. But what I do, is set a lower temp point to start. I'll start sipping before I even reach that. (I loves me some terps.) I'll keep sipping until I feel that temp is exhausted, then jump up to the next temp. I'll keep this up until either I'm just done (med wise) or I've stripped everything I want (max temp I want: ~392°F). It is a process of pleasure.

[SIDENOTE: I *love* the programable temp temps on the Ascent, but I don't use it as rarely do set, fixed, times mesh with what I might have in the bowl currently. But they are there for a reason.]

I've said before that I've had to re-train some of my skull-ripping b-load friends away from the notion that this is shots lined up on the bar in Daytona Beach on spring break, and rather focus on the fine cognac aspect. They shouldn't focus on "doing shots" and you shouldn't either. [Albeit, each does so for kinda opposite reasons-- their's for consumption and yours for *limiting* consumption.]

I can take a small bowl (not " @lwien small," but small) and milk it for the play-time of an hour-long show (44min once commercials are removed). That's a good GRAND session to me.

To me it is about enjoying the process just as much as the destination. [The journey is its own reward.]

I can honestly say that owning an Ascent has taught me to enjoy vaping, and realize it is much more than a means to an end.

Perhaps 0.025g is just *TOO* small for this device. Perhaps this won't work. But give it a shot. Start "sipping" before you are "at temp" and keep sipping. Step through temps. Sip until there is nothing left to sip. Ignore draw count, and just enjoy the flavors. Enjoy the sipping. And, just plain, enjoy the vaping...

Cheers! :cheers:

[EDIT: Is Daytona Beach a spring break spot? I don't think I've ever set foot in Florida. If it is not, then please insert $cityName]

[EDIT#2: The other things I have been experimenting with are other flowers. Thanks in part to @Slightly Medicated and Josh and Bob, I've been playing with other herbs. Throwing your desired herb in with another (most anything one can make a tea with would work), allows for complex flavors that one wouldn't normally have. Plus (side bonus for small loads): Won't exhaust your product as fast in a single load.]

Last edited:

lwien

It doesn't seem like you are a cloud chaser.

Actually, I kinda am. It's the reason why I got the LSV.

To me it is about enjoying the process just as much as the destination. [The journey is its own reward.]

At my age, 69, one has a tendency to say, "Fuck the process. Just get me to where I want to be.......NOW!!" With the PD, it was the process. The PD is a sipper but the LSV is a dragster and is the other reason that I got it.

I can honestly say that owning an Ascent has taught me to enjoy vaping, and realize it is much more than a means to an end.

We're on reverse paths here. For me, as of now, vaping IS a means to an end. With the PD, I spent 4 years in the process. Kind of got burned out on that routine.

But I do enjoy the process of milking a shot of a good single malt scotch. But that's different in that I'm not drinking it to get high. I'm drinking it solely for the taste. This is not why I vape though. I vape to get buzzed. Don't get me wrong. I like the taste of vapor, but for me, that's just a bit of icing on the cake.

nigel

We're on reverse paths here.

Fair enough, my friend.

Fair enough.

But I do enjoy the process of milking a shot of a good single malt scotch. But that's different in that I'm not drinking it to get high.

To me, it is both.

[EDIT: I do *love* a good single-malt (as long as it is not too "Peat-y". Even worse if it is "Pete-y".) I keep saying "cognac" as a $fineDrink, but truth be told, end of a exceptional meal, with a complex 30+ year Tawny Port, is the way to truly savor a moment.]

But what I was trying to suggest, is that you might get a lot more from the product than just taking a "hit it 'n' quit it" approach. I think there might be more extraction, but I can understand that, for others, it is simply a tool and the tool that gets quickest to an end is the best.

Regardless of our different approaches, I still eagerly await your next update. (and info on subsequent extraction from last night's ABV.)

I feel like kinda a weirdo here on FC for liking smaller loads (was different back in college in terms of tolerances, but now is now), and am glad for both your perspective on the smaller load, and for you making *my* smaller loads seem LESS weird.
:)

Last edited:

lwien

Regardless of our different approaches, I still eagerly await your next update. (and info on subsequent extraction from last night's ABV.)

Wow !! :o. I gotta tell ya, I am shocked at how many more hits I was able to pull from, what looked like, totally spent ABV. Got another 2 hits at 385, 2 at 400 and 1 at 410 for a total of 5. Not LSV hits, mind you, but very visible vapor, to say the least. Now the ABV is just a shade below black, but.................totally uniform in color. I've really never seen anything like it (the ABV) from any of the vapes that I've previously used. And this is without any stirring or shaking at all. I wonder if this is also because I'm using the glass can on top of the bud, which I have no doubt, provides it's own heat source through radiation from the top, along with using a small amount.

Whatever the reason, this vape, set up this way, extracts every last bit and it does it for the whole bowl at the same time without any effort from the user at all.

Anyway, you're right. Shouldn't just go by the amount of hits, but rather the overall affect simply because on the second round, the cannabinoid profile is a bit different than what it was with the first two hits.

All things considered, the efficiency is better than I thought, but still not quite there. Gonna start at a lower temp next time and see what happens, but it's lookin' better.

The batt obviosly didn't have a full charge being that it was nearing the end when I fired it up tonight after only 3 hits last night. Looks like they just charged it enough for a final QC. On an overnight charge as we speak.

Last edited:

Vapodudule

Pulled the trigger on it! Can't wait to try!

The only actual concern is the tracking number of the packet (given bu DV) that is leading to a 2012 delivered packet! I am a bit upset to have paid a service to track my order and now i cant :(

ttocs

I just got the confirmation email from my local post office that mine will be delivered today. can't wait as the roll-out on this thing could not have been ANY worse@@@

Now I have been going back/forth over what water tool I want to use with it and can't decide. The different designs do they do anyway? Are the different bubbler heads just for show/bragging rights or do they do something better then the others?

Last edited:
ttocs,

Reflections

@ttocs I use the pnwt (pinnacle water tube) which is on sale till end of month or my bubbler, but really dont find need to use them all the time...

Reflections,
Reactions: Snappo

philmcneal

vap3 master
so has davinchi fixed all their manufacturing problems? Now people are happy with the new units? I haven't followed this thread for at least a month so wondering if there is any new developments without needing to read over 200 new posts :p cliffs anyone?

philmcneal,

ttocs

@ttocs I use the pnwt (pinnacle water tube) which is on sale till end of month or my bubbler, but really dont find need to use them all the time...

Where is it on sale at? I can only find the regular price. Are the bubblers really worth a big bill?

Thanks for the response re: charger RD :)

Jape I don't see it listed anywhere that it includes any kind of voltage converter. Did you see it say that somewhere?

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
ttocs,

Reflections

@ttocs you can pick up the water tool here...http://www.thevaporblunt.com/ ...use code...PNWT50...
It works great with the ascent ..You will need a 14 mm adapter..I got the straight one since i just use flowers... but if you want to use oils or waxes u need the u adapter..both sold on the Davinci site... I picked up a cheap bubbler for 30 bucks...hope this helps...

OF

Now the ABV is just a shade below black, but.................totally uniform in color. I've really never seen anything like it (the ABV) from any of the vapes that I've previously used.

Whatever the reason, this vape, set up this way, extracts every last bit and it does it for the whole bowl at the same time without any effort from the user at all.

The batt obviosly didn't have a full charge being that it was nearing the end when I fired it up tonight after only 3 hits last night. Looks like they just charged it enough for a final QC. On an overnight charge as we speak.

I think this is the natural result of the design. As I reported with my temperature probe tests, load temperature is hottest just before the hit. It cools off (a lot) during the hit due to the cold air and slow transit of heat through the the ceramic and glass walls (both good insulators). More than other vapes, you 'roast' the goods between hits (basically moving the THC and other stuff around since it can't escape).

You should probably have fully charged the battery before using it the first time. Otherwise there's no guarantee the battery is fully formed when shipped. This is stand drill for all such systems if you want best battery life and fullest capacity. I'd stop and fully charge it, and make that a practice for the future.

After that initial 'full recharge' (and some guys do it again from time to time) there's a strong argument that avoiding full charge or discharge states with double or more the battery life, but at least that first time you want to 'fill 'er up'.

Enjoy your Ascent, IMO it's a useful little gadget. I don't own one personally (I find Solo does the same sort of job easier for me) but I was pretty impressed with the one Nigel loaned me to test. IMO it's a well thought out and made unit.

OF

evolutunes

Hey there,

I've been following this thread for ages now (and the pre release thread that ended up at a silly number of pages long!)

I was just wondering having ordered my ascent about a week ago to the UK, will it come with a UK power adaptor or will i have to buy one? If so, will i need a currency converter etc?

Last thing i'd want to do is have the thing turn up and A: not be able to use it B: fry it the moment i put it on charge!

Any ideas folks?

You just need a plug adapter. I picked one up for £1.99.

My glass flowers arrived this morning. Smaller than I thought they'd be.

evolutunes,
Reactions: OF

lwien

so has davinchi fixed all their manufacturing problems?
Mine seems to be defect free.
You should probably have fully charged the battery before using it the first time.

Yeah, I know. But when I first got it and fired her up, the battery indicator said it was 3/4 full, so I thought, hell, I'm good to go, but the charge went down really fast the next day to only a quarter full so obviously, it needed a good charge. Hope I didn't put any undue stress on the battery by not charging it up to max before using it.

Last edited:

James C

EDM and vapor enthusiast
Thanks for your response. I kept testing it to see if there would be any difference. So far I'm not fully certain if it is expansion or not. I did test it at lower temperatures and there was no static/buzzing/cracking noise, but once it gets to mid 300°F and more then it starts up, kind of a crackling your of sound...

I guess my main question would be: if the sound is indeed expansion, wouldn't the sound stop if the device is on long enough at a high enough temperature?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Hi, I just got my new unit today as well, so excited! However, I am noticing the exact same thing as you, if you listen closely to the unit (even from a few feet) you can hear a ticking noise that goes repeatedly when using temperatures ~400F and above. So nope, not just your unit.

Also, does anyone know if Da Vinci allows you to return your vape if you've vaped herbs "other than tobacco?"

Mine seems to be getting untouchably hot when in use, even at around 390˚F and it's not just the bowl area, but a large portion of the device. I am going to contact Da Vinci, but in case I need a replacement I was wondering what their policy was? Thanks!

mod note: Edit your post to add to it. Back to back posts, within the edit time limit, aren't allowed. 2 posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

ttocs

@ttocs you can pick up the water tool here...http://www.thevaporblunt.com/ ...use code...PNWT50...
It works great with the ascent ..You will need a 14 mm adapter..I got the straight one since i just use flowers... but if you want to use oils or waxes u need the u adapter..both sold on the Davinci site... I picked up a cheap bubbler for 30 bucks...hope this helps...

Damn dude thanks you said it was on sale but I didn't expect an $80 discount.. Almost ordered it last night thanks.

By chance do you know if/which of these adaptors would work for the ascent?

Top Bottom