Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Blackfish108

Yeah, I agree. His exact words were "we're really pushing to get them out within the next two weeks". He sounded very honest, but it sounds to me like it's still up in the air. I can't imagine, with all the changes listed, and variables to consider, that they could get them out less than a month after they had to redesign. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

DopeyJ

My stealth unit just came in, and immediately having problems.

First off, upon opening the box, I found that a number of items were missing, including:

-Spare glass mouthpiece and glass screen
-Both oil jars
-The instruction manual (seriously?)

I tried turning the unit on, and nothing. So I've had it plugged in for probably a good 45 minutes, and the screen still wont turn on. I have no instruction manual, so no idea if there's suppose to be a light to indicate charging, or really anything else.

I've tried holding the power button, and while the screen doesn't turn on, I find that the bowl seems to be heating. I don't know if this is heat generated by the charging (if it's charging at all?) or if my oled screen is just broken. I put my pinky in the bowl and it was hot, but not so hot that it hurt much (did not make me pull away in pain).

So now I'm just waiting to see if it charges. Things I've noticed about the unit:

-The bottom grill looks like metal, but I was sure in other images I've seen it was black plastic.
-I can see 2 strands of glue through the grill, but it doesn't seem to touch the air path
-The air seals seem bad. I cover the bottom grill with my hand, and still get air coming through.
-My screen is scuffed (vertically) on the entire bottom 1/3'rd of the screen.
-There seems to be an oily substance coming from somewhere, but I can't find where.

Any suggestions? Anyone have similar issues?

Ordered mine from gotvape.com, and probably will not do business with them again. How does a brand new vape leave their warehouse without everything included in the box?

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
They forgot to put the items back in after they checked out the return from someone else that didn't want it? I'd ask for a refund immediately and then wait for DV to start sending out the updated version of the Ascent...just a thought...:2c:

rsqemt911

First off, upon opening the box, I found that a number of items were missing, including:

-Both oil jars

I tried turning the unit on, and nothing. So I've had it plugged in for probably a good 45 minutes, and the screen still wont turn on. I have no instruction manual, so no idea if there's suppose to be a light to indicate charging, or really anything else.

I've tried holding the power button, and while the screen doesn't turn on, I find that the bowl seems to be heating. I don't know if this is heat generated by the charging (if it's charging at all?) or if my oled screen is just broken. I put my pinky in the bowl and it was hot, but not so hot that it hurt much (did not make me pull away in pain).

So now I'm just waiting to see if it charges. Things I've noticed about the unit:

-The bottom grill looks like metal, but I was sure in other images I've seen it was black plastic.
-I can see 2 strands of glue through the grill, but it doesn't seem to touch the air path
-The air seals seem bad. I cover the bottom grill with my hand, and still get air coming through.
-There seems to be an oily substance coming from somewhere, but I can't find where.

Ordered mine from gotvape.com, and probably will not do business with them again. How does a brand new vape leave their warehouse without everything included in the box?

Simple. It doesn't. It sounds like a regifting.

I also will not do business with GV Ever again.

Digger42

-Both oil jars

I'll go you one better. They didn't even send me a charger. Nothing in the box but the vape.

DopeyJ

What makes this even worse is the hand signed letter from Nano Donlin which is as follows:

"Dear Valued Patron,

We appreciate your patience in the delay of receiving your Ascent Portable Vaporizer. We sincerely apologize for the extended delay in receiving your unit. In order to avoid further delay, we have been able to provide you with a working unit for you to enjoy.

In our opinion, these units have been tested are ready for use. However, in order to be completely transparent with you, if there are any problems with your Ascent, we will certainly be able to provide you with a replacement once the official release has been announced in October.

Over the months, we certainly understand your frustration with this prolonged wait, thus we have made it our main priority to provide you with added value because we strive to provide the best customer service possible.

I hope you enjoy your Ascent and we look forward to receiving your business for years to come. Feel free to reach us at (***)***-**** with any questions.

Sincerely,

Nano Donlin (hand signed)

Nano Donlin
GotVape Customer Care"

What a crock of sh*t. Sending me someone else's return as a "working unit" and then expecting my business for "years to come."

edit: Digger42, that sucks hardcore. I'm sorry to hear you're in a similar boat. I have no confidence that gotvape will provide a satisfactory solution, and I'm sincerely hoping davinci is willing to do something.

rsqemt911

Ab
What makes this even worse is the hand signed letter from Nano Donlin which is as follows:

"Dear Valued Patron,

We appreciate your patience in the delay of receiving your Ascent Portable Vaporizer. We sincerely apologize for the extended delay in receiving your unit. In order to avoid further delay, we have been able to provide you with a working unit for you to enjoy.

In our opinion, these units have been tested are ready for use. However, in order to be completely transparent with you, if there are any problems with your Ascent, we will certainly be able to provide you with a replacement once the official release has been announced in October.

Over the months, we certainly understand your frustration with this prolonged wait, thus we have made it our main priority to provide you with added value because we strive to provide the best customer service possible.

I hope you enjoy your Ascent and we look forward to receiving your business for years to come. Feel free to reach us at (***)***-**** with any questions.

Sincerely,

Nano Donlin (hand signed)

Nano Donlin
GotVape Customer Care"

What a crock of sh*t. Sending me someone else's return as a "working unit" and then expecting my business for "years to come."

edit: Digger42, that sucks hardcore. I'm sorry to hear you're in a similar boat. I have no confidence that gotvape will provide a satisfactory solution, and I'm sincerely hoping davinci is willing to do something.

I called originally about the smell and was told to use it to get rid of it. When it only got worse I called back for a refund and was told since I use it I can't return it. SMH!

And then i had to pay to ship back and GV refunded me through PayPal so those vultures took their $$ off the top before I got it back.

rsqemt911,

100n3y

Ab

I called originally about the smell and was told to use it to get rid of it. When it only got worse I called back for a refund and was told since I use it I can't return it. SMH!

And then i had to pay to ship back and GV refunded me through PayPal so those vultures took their $$ off the top before I got it back.
Been reading about the Ascent and GV experiences since page 1 and, up until a few seconds ago, had GV as a bookmark since I intended to buy from them in the future. This is nuts. I'm not chiming in to bully-up or anything, but I do want them to know they've lost a potential customer because they're not treating their current ones correctly. What's the saying? For every unhappy customer they tell 5 others? It's worth it more, in the end, to do things right. Maybe you'll lose a bit of money, but not as much as if more people like me decide to go elsewhere. Thanks for the heads up guys.

rsqemt911

Been reading about the Ascent and GV experiences since page 1 and, up until a few seconds ago, had GV as a bookmark since I intended to buy from them in the future. This is nuts. I'm not chiming in to bully-up or anything, but I do want them to know they've lost a potential customer because they're not treating their current ones correctly. What's the saying? For every unhappy customer they tell 5 others? It's worth it more, in the end, to do things right. Maybe you'll lose a bit of money, but not as much as if more people like me decide to go elsewhere. Thanks for the heads up guys.

I've bought from them in the past and had no issues but since I Pre-ordered the ascent in April I have had nothing but bad experiences.

But there are plenty of competitors out there eager to take our money and treat us with more respect so all is not lost.

OF

But there are plenty of competitors out there eager to take our money and treat us with more respect so all is not lost.

Yeah sorta. Sometimes they still profit because they're the wholesale dealer the guy you bought your new vape from got it. A couple of friends and I were discussing just this point today in fact, in relation to the Puffit. For about six months when it was new every one sold went through GV. If you bought one in Canada, it came from PV along the way, they made a profit. I wanted a one to check out (an OK vape IMO) but I was not going to let them get my money (even in small measure) after they sidetracked some of the long awaited first lot through customs, giving it to their employees who then made accounts and pretended to be objective customers raving about the unit.....while those who had already paid for theirs waited and wondered.

Not to dump on GV, the point is I had to wait six months until the maker decided to sell them from Hong Kong where I paid over $20 more and had to wait a couple of week to avoid giving a few of my dollars to the outfit that had played us for fools....or tried to. And no hope of practical warranty.

In the end, I think, you buy vapes to enjoy. For many of us that can include things like this that go past features you can point to. Things like Customer Support, 'made in USA' and so on contribute pride of ownership points sometimes I think. I would not have enjoyed my Puffit as much knowing GV had profited from my purchase. FWIW I think DV is trying to work on this part. They seem to be very serious about making Ascent right and supporting those 'stuck with problem units' as best they can.....they could sell the first replacements though the gate, but are promising not to. That counts for me.

BTW I passed Nigel's 'loaner' Ascent on to one last fellow to check out before returning it. The occasion for the meeting where we were discussing GV in fact. Hopefully he'll have some insight (he has very broad and IMO insightful experience, opinions I value) to share before finally returning it. He want's to stay covert so will relay his thoughts through me, hopefully in the next week or so.

One thing came out from the hand over ceremony, the 'glass flowers' have great promise for cloud chasers. There was another friend there who had tried an Ascent before and dismissed it as being too thin in the cloud department, proffering Solo. I took advantage to demo the trick, putting 7 of the glass pieces in (3 on the bottom before the first half of the bud, two more, then the last of the bud on top poking the 'stems' of the last two flowers in on top. Packing firmly, a bit under the top but filling the ceramic bowl. Very successful. The guy who had rejected Ascent before started talking about ordering one after all! Honestly, I was there. Then he looked down and said 'you've only got it set to 400!' (he'd gone to full blast, 430, without success).....he said a dirty word!!! Right then. Musta impressed him too.

If you've got an Ascent, get some of those little flowers and give them a try, I think you too will be impressed. Bigger hits on less bud.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y9PNAQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OF

Elmafuf0

If you've got an Ascent, get some of those little flowers and give them a try, I think you too will be impressed. Bigger hits on less bud.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y9PNAQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OF[/quote]

Buy some for a friend or get a bunch of spares - 40 for 6 bucks. Free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009UZ5TAC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1380108159&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
I've been using a piece of sea glass to compress and hold down my herb. It works well but I'd like to try these.
My guess is that the glass also helps keep the load from cooling off as fast since the glass retains heat better than bud and also disperses the heat.

Elmafuf0,

Reflections

I ordered some of those yesterday..I still have my ascent but havent been using it... Il try it out when i get them..and let ya know

Reflections,
Reactions: OF

100n3y

These spacers seem like a great/necessary thing to have with the Ascent. It's a wonder something like this doesn't come with it already. The bowl sizes of this and the Pax have always concerned me a bit. I loved my OG DV because of the small bowl. Drop a Lil in, smoke it, and put it down without feeling like it's continuing to burn off giving the Angel's their share. Loooooooookin at you DV.:brow:

OF

:tup: I did a few days ago when you first posted it....I've been cruisin' along with cotton, but this would be a great alternative.

Thanks man!
I've been using a piece of sea glass to compress and hold down my herb. It works well but I'd like to try these.
My guess is that the glass also helps keep the load from cooling off as fast since the glass retains heat better than bud and also disperses the heat.

Exactly so. I agree that the glass is likely contributing stored heat to the hit. Something sure seems to be. This is, I think, a big advantage of glass over cotton (which doesn't store much heat at all and transfers it very poorly).

Building on the glass bead or glass piece idea I went to the 'flower screens' in part because they have so very much more surface area than alternatives to transfer the heat both in and out. That is they should provide more heat for the hit, and also recover faster between hits than a single lump of the same mass.

Being widely available at low cost is also nice, of course.

In practice I took roughly .2 grams of bud out and replaced it with five times that much glass. A win-win heat wise?

In any event, IMO it's worth a try. The small supply I bought is going home with the unit. While I'm not planning right now I've ordered more of the 'flower screens' for the future, who knows where they might work in a similar manner? It seems to me that units like VB2, Puffit and the like might also benefit?

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

OF

jivebuggered

OF

Buy some for a friend or get a bunch of spares - 40 for 6 bucks. Free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009UZ5TAC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1380108159&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
My guess is that the glass also helps keep the load from cooling off as fast since the glass retains heat better than bud and also disperses the heat.[/quote]

Went to order some bead flowers myself until i came to final payment $148 shipping Fuck me i live in Australia not Antarctica!!!??? I would appreciate <removed> some other web site?? Thanks I now remembered why i hate Amazon!.

Modnote: Post edited.
  • No selling or soliciting items on the forum. The only exception is the Classifieds section, which is the only public area on the forum where you can mention that you have (or may have) items for sale or trade. It is also the only public area where you can request to buy items.

Last edited by a moderator:
jivebuggered,
Reactions: Snappo

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker

Went to order some bead flowers myself until i came to final payment $148 shipping Fuck me i live in Australia not Antarctica!!!??? <removed>

If I had some I'd send them to you for free. There's no reason why you should have to pay those shipping costs. That's robbery!:rant:

My Stealth is still working great. Not one cosmetic issue, no bad smell, no off gas... It's become "hers" and mine is now the Pinnacle Pro (replacing a Pax we shared together). She prefers the Ascent over the PN Pro due to taste and the fact that the PN Pro vapor felt too warm to her. I only have a very few small complaints about the Ascent-- bowl size (which I fixed with cotton, but just ordered the glass beads to try), and the display isn't accurate regarding battery life and (from others' research) temperature.

It's SO much easier to clean and maintain than the Pax, and the taste is 1000x better from the first hit to the 20th... whereas the Pax gets blech by the 3rd. And with the cotton in there to help keep the flowers packed down, the glass screen doesn't get too messy at all. Very easy to clean. Lastly, mainly from the wife's feedback, the draw is MUCH better than the Pax. I agree, but even the Pax didn't bother me much in that area.

I'm not a greatly experienced vaper (little over 1 yr), and I've only owned 3-- Pax, Ascent, and PN Pro. I rate the Ascent right there with my new PN Pro. I love 'em both, with each having a bit of an upper hand in a category or two. For vaping while lying in bed with the wife, or on the go in the car, both are very good (and a huge upgrade over the Pax they replace, except for stealthy size, which Pax still wins for, but Pn Pro is a very close 2nd in that category so it was a very easy decision to stick the Pax in the drawer and not even think about it).

I know DV is working on the new units... but in all honesty, I don't see anything that would cause me to feel the need to replace mine at this point. Sure, the desire to have the latest and greatest version is strong, but I'm also very practical and likely won't waste the time to get a replacement (depending on both the changes being implemented and how well it continues to hold up).

jivebuggered

Exactly so. I agree that the glass is likely contributing stored heat to the hit. Something sure seems to be. This is, I think, a big advantage of glass over cotton (which doesn't store much heat at all and transfers it very poorly).

Building on the glass bead or glass piece idea I went to the 'flower screens' in part because they have so very much more surface area than alternatives to transfer the heat both in and out. That is they should provide more heat for the hit, and also recover faster between hits than a single lump of the same mass.

Being widely available at low cost is also nice, of course.

In practice I took roughly .2 grams of bud out and replaced it with five times that much glass. A win-win heat wise?

In any event, IMO it's worth a try. The small supply I bought is going home with the unit. While I'm not planning right now I've ordered more of the 'flower screens' for the future, who knows where they might work in a similar manner? It seems to me that units like VB2, Puffit and the like might also benefit?

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

OF

OF

My guess is that the glass also helps keep the load from cooling off as fast since the glass retains heat better than bud and also disperses the heat.[/quote]

I can get off ebay apparently. I gather they are small enough to fit in the oval Ascents bowl??

I can get off ebay apparently. I gather they are small enough to fit in the oval Ascents bowl??[/quote]

Still too expensive to post though.

jivebuggered,
Reactions: OF

OF

I can get off ebay apparently. I gather they are small enough to fit in the oval Ascents bowl??

Yes, the ones I had were quite small, maybe 1/4 inch across with a stem a bit longer. 3 easily fit in the bottom in a single layer. I had no trouble getting some bud then another layer on top of that one with enough room to cover that layer with bud then poke the stems of a last few straight down laying the flower part on top like the head of a thumbtack.

Good luck with finding a source with better shipping, they're 'all over' and apparently growing in popularity.

OF

OF,
Top Bottom