Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

the ob

all good in the hood.
Hello all.

This is the ob, the person who offered to start helping Rick ship out of the country. He already listed my info earlier so I probably do not need to do it again.

I want to start by letting the mods know that I truly hope I am not violating any rules in this post, and if so, please pm me. I already spoke to Rick about this and if need be, we can discuss my setting up my own thread for the purposes of what I am about to say. Please let me know if you would like me to do so, and the specifics of what is involved.

I am a long time zap fan and also have my own brick and mortar business. I first approached Rick some time ago about selling his devices in my store. My primary business is clothing, but the shop has morphed into more of a lifestyle store over time. I have been in business over 8 1/2 years and like to think we have a excellent reputation for carrying unique well-crafted products while providing excellent service. Sounds kind of like Rick, or so I hope.

We recently began carrying the zaps in the shop. Over the last couple of years I have noticed a number of people inquire about Rick selling outside of the US. Being a business owner, I know how difficult these seemingly easy tasks can be because of the many responsibilities that come with running a business. I asked Rick several days ago if he would let me take a stab at helping him with this as we already do ship a number of things internationally. We have unique lines that are not widely available and have learned to do this.

Rick was excited that I was interested in taking on this seemingly annoying task and suggested starting with our neighbors to the north. This was suggested because you are on the same electric system as the US is, and the adapters would work the same way. I am possibly going to look into what it would take to ship to other countries at some point, but I am starting with the Canadians. Plus I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the Canadians.

I do not yet have all the information, but wanted to start to get some information to you so you know what we could be dealing with.

First, please know that the initial pricing may be somewhat different than what Rick offers on the site. There are a couple of reasons for this. Rick is going to start making some of these devices just for us, and at least a majority might be primo. Also, we are discussing adding some touches that will be specific to the ones we carry. Rick is selling these to us at a wholesale price. This means two things. He is making less on the units than the ones he gets to sell himself. To be able to afford to do this and pay my expenses, I have to charge a bit more. I have a tremendous amount of overhead and it will take time for one of my employees to take pictures, pack and ship. Also, there are the credit card fees and all the yucky stuff that I have to pay for.

I want you to know I am going to work on getting the initial pricing to a reasonable level and am certainly not trying to gouge you or retire off selling these to you. I truly just want to try to help out and see if I can help supply what I think is a life changing product to people outside the country. Once again, the initial figure is just a figure I have thrown out to do the examples. I have not settled on that number.

Second, there are the costs associated with shipping these units. I have done some initial research and have some figures I want to share. I am still exploring all of this and none of it is set in stone, so before you all bombard me with questions, please let me get all my ducks in a row. I am just offering some initial information because I figured some of you were curious.

We have several shipping options. We are fortunate enough to be across the street from a Postal Annex. The good news is that we will be able to offer different options based on what you would like. The bad news is that the shipping is generally about 20% higher than if we were to physically take these packages to fex ex, or usps individually. I can tell you that making daily trips to these places would not be possible and would add to the expenses. Getting these picked up would also add expense as well. I just want to be transparent with all of you so you know I am being above board.

I have also calculated duties and fees for each option (a guesstimate) so you know what that will mean in the final equation.

Option 1. USPS. There are three options here. First is First Class. This is the cheapest. From what I can gather so far it would be a initial fee of around 20.00. This is based on package size and weight. Based on a initial price of say 225.00 (please do not freak out yet, this is not finalized) Here is what you are looking at (using vancouver bc as the example)
First Class
225.00 zap
20.00 shipping
tax 14.70
conversion 6.13
brokerage 5.65

total of 271.48.

I cannot control the duties and fees. This is based on stuff I do not understand. It is what it is. This is the cheapest option, but no tracking or insurance is provided.

USPS Option #2 Priority
225.00 zap
48.00 shipping
tax same
conversion same
brokerage same

I was told this is not a great option as it may hit the border faster, but still get the same delays at customs. I think this is not a great one.

USPS Option #3 express
225.00 zap
64.00 shipping
all other fees the same.
The only advantage here is that you get a tracking number. Once again not my favorite option and I will explain why in the next set of options.

Fed Ex. I will use them as I was told UPS is not good about shipping out of the country. There is basically one good option here and that is economy.

225.00 zap
84.00 shipping
18.54 tax
7.73 conversion
40.68 brokerage
6.61 disbursement
total of 382.56

This one is a doozy. Here is the good news. First, you are guaranteed to get it in 2 days. They have their own duty/custom area. Second, you get a tracking number. It is 111.08 dollars more. Please be aware none of this goes to me, it is all to fex ex and the canadian government. Once again, I do not love this option because of the price, but I will offer it for those who want it.

You have two other options not mentioned. One, come get one personally. Two, ship to a relative in the US and it will be way cheaper (shipping wise) and have them bring it to you.

This is all from initial research. If I can possible get Fex Ex to come get them, or USPS to come get them and it saves you money, I will do that. I was not able to get this info today (saturday). Trust me, I am not trying to gouge any of you in any way and if I can find a cheaper method to get them to you I will.

I just wanted to get this all out there and start to get feedback from those interested and see how you are feeling. I will be creating a new email address specifically for this and will also assign a specific employee to this task so you know you will have someone specific to talk to. I will have access to the email as well so I will be able to help in case I either fire said employee (kidding) or he is lucky enough to ever get a day off. I know I don't. seriously, I just took my first day off in about three months......

Let me know if you have any comments or questions. Please remember that I am typing this after a long day of work, and have to work tomorrow too. I will try to check here as much as I can to help out.

the ob,

THCMuscle

Is there a reason Rick's wood stems have phased out of production? I LOVE the one I have and wish I could buy more, especially for future zap purchases. I think it would be so cool to be able to buy an occasional PRIMO RZ with a matching wood stem. Id be willing to pay $50+ more for that.

I like Ed's stems, but the full length SS tube and lack of sleeves make Rick's SO much more desierable IMHO.

THCMuscle,

Glairige

THCMuscle said:
Is there a reason Rick's wood stems have phased out of production? I LOVE the one I have and wish I could buy more, especially for future zap purchases. I think it would be so cool to be able to buy an occasional PRIMO RZ with a matching wood stem. Id be willing to pay $50+ more for that.

I like Ed's stems, but the full length SS tube and lack of sleeves make Rick's SO much more desierable IMHO.

I asked Rick about this a couple days ago and he indicated he was working on bringing them back.

Glairige,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Wow. You guys got dirty lol. Love the double entendres. Very versatile language. Our new addition has arrived. Haven't put it through the paces yet, but daaaaamn is it pretty. I'll get pics up in an hour or two. I wish Deez would come take the shots though, because my shots will not be as good, but I'll try. Maybe it will help those still waiting. A little something to tide you over.

EDIT*
Observations - This thing is stunning. Love it. Well done Zapville. It does make a slight metal "springy" sound if I shake it. Nothing seems loose. The PA is bigger, and heavier. Need more time to see a difference. I had a stem that I lost the screen to after toothpicking it, so I ordered the screen kit. Great to have IMO. I put 2 screens in one stem (I grind fine ,2pc SC). So far, so good.

If you want to hear something crazy, I wish we had a bigger house so I had more rooms to put a CRZ. Trying to convince the old lady that the kitchen counter NEEDS one now lol. Have a good Sunday all, I'm going to settle in for the playoff, but first.............................

TsD6o.jpg

nyf2h.jpg

7gOD8.jpg

http://imgur.com/ykyd3 Another pic
http://imgur.com/mMMEE Pic of both PAs

Magic9,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Great initiative Ob! & Rick's too of course. Will you be displaying the available models online on a special website, or do/can we pick them from the original Zap website itself?

Good luck with working out the details!

OhTheAgony,

Vitolo

Vaporist
On my recent excursion shipping a box out of the country, I had good luck.
I sent a package to Brazil
Postage was 46.00 for flat rate.
I learned it could have been 21.00 had I sent it in a regular box 1st class... but I also learned through a number of foreign mailings, that the flat rate arrive out of country twice as fast.
I have shipped to Canada as well, and the postage was less.
I have shipped to Europe, and it was slightly higher.
I did learn, however... that every country differs once the package arrives there... as to the way the package is treated.

Vitolo,

Phizix

What is the best method to replace the screens in the stems? I can't get the screens to fit in there securely.

My redwood also makes the springy sound and feels much more hollow at the bottom than my maple zap.

Phizix,

Rick

Zapman
Magic9, nice pics of one of the sweetest Zaps we have made. Thanks for showing it off. That was a Zapville favorite. I had to sneak it up on the website before Zaplady snatched it up.
Yea, it got a little 'dirty' last night.....or did it? I always get a kick out sexual joking, etc being 'dirty'. I always think of sex as very clean stuff, nothing dirty about it at all. As for our girls, when they leave here they are plenty pure but have been on the exam table with the doctor or nurse ONLY examining them in a very professional way. Besides, virginity is not all it's cracked up to be these days.
Forgive me dear Universe.
We are seeing with obs posted numbers how much expense is involved shipping to just Canada when we do it as it should be done, paying the proper taxes and duty. Hopefully we can get this refined to get Zaps up north at reasonable costs to the customer. Our best solution would be to ship direct from Canada but that is somewhere in the future.
Wood stems will be coming back, mostly as a matching stem to a Primo Zap. Perhaps individually but we have to do some fine tuning somewhere first. We are also getting some stemholder designs on track.
Gotta go...............
Method for resetting screens is the ramrod method. Drive it home with the 1/4" dowel which will seat it in the bottom, against the crimp, squarely.
More news on screens coming later today............
...........The springy sound is the heater bouncing against the center tube. Only hear it shaking sideways? Is only an audio cosmetic problem and will not affect function.
redwood is the same hollow as the others on the bottom but Redwood is a very light wood, not dense, so it will feel 'less substantial' than a hard wood. They run plenty hot though, some of the hottest.

Rick,

the ob

all good in the hood.
I would rather get everyone the initial numbers and have them be higher and then hopefully refine this and get them down for all of you.

I am going to take the initial steps monday to see how I can figure out how to get these to Canada in the most reasonable, and quickest manner.

Monday I am going to have conversations directly with the post office and see what they can do for me. I will also contact Fed Ex, UPS and also inquire with someone I know who works for a company who ships worldwide to see how to best get this done.

I promise I will figure out the best way possible. The real issue is the duties and fees. We cannot avoid those. Even if someone was getting bulk units and distributing them there, those will be attached to the units in some way.

I will keep in touch and let you know what I find. Do not despair yet.

ps. First Class is the best option and somewhat reasonable, but it could take up to two weeks to get to you as far as I understand. Plus we will not have tracking. Also, they will open up the box at customs and I have to make sure a invoice in enclosed that they will look at and perhaps take.

pps I am also willing to take things directly to the PO, but would probably not be able to do this daily. We could work something out to get them out like once or twice a week.

As I said, these rates are higher than I would like and I am going to work on getting this thing refined.

the ob,

the ob

all good in the hood.
OhTheAgony said:
Great initiative Ob! & Rick's too of course. Will you be displaying the available models online on a special website, or do/can we pick them from the original Zap website itself?

Good luck with working out the details!

I will either display them somewhere on my blog, or have great pics taken for those who want them and email to you. I want this to be as easy as possible for you.

the ob,

Vitolo

Vaporist
@the ob
A hint for you on tracking your shipping, after having shipped internationally for 7 months now....
The Customs Form # is as effective as Tracking, and it is free!

Vitolo,

the ob

all good in the hood.
Vitolo said:
@the ob
A hint for you on tracking your shipping, after having shipped internationally for 7 months now....
The Customs Form # is as effective as Tracking, and it is free!

thanks vitolo! I have used those too as we ship intl all the time. My main concern (other than the cost) is the time of delivery which seems to be long in the usps cases. We always use them, but I am trying to get that time down.

I am determined to get the most cost effective, fastest method down and promise I will do all the research to do that......

the ob,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Magic9, that is a stunning Zap. Welcome to the Ambrosia Maple Club... :lol:

ob, way to belly up to the bar. This is great news for those in Canada who have been trying to get one of these.

momofthegoons,

the ob

all good in the hood.
momofthegoons said:
Magic9, that is a stunning Zap. Welcome to the Ambrosia Maple Club... :lol:

ob, way to belly up to the bar. This is great news for those in Canada who have been trying to get one of these.

thanks! Hopefully I can find the most cost effective/quickest method so that this works well for everyone.

I am determined to get this thing figured out.

I would be curious (with my neighbors to the north) how important delivery time is? I can get the pricing way down if you do not care if the package may take a couple of weeks.

the ob,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Good info.

I would prefer to pay less and wait longer myself. I don't know how the rules are in Canada-land, but here in the EU they make us pay 19,5% taxes not only over the price of the object but over the shipping costs as well. Keeping the total costs as low as possible can help a lot.

OhTheAgony,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
Just wanted to check in and say that my little Wallnut CRZ is still probly my most used vape and i love it (although all the fancy new ones coming out are making me wish i had waited a bit longer). For those with the new DC power adapters do you guys think it is a noteworthy enough upgrade to permit ordering one on it's own?

SF Giant,

chib

Kush please
So tired of combustion... Cant wait for my CRZ to get repaired so she will be able to cook me a stem or three :ko:

chib,

TwztedVaper

Boom Shankar
Got a CRZ a few days back and I love it. So ridiculously efficient. I get 4-5 of these hits per stem and I fill not more than 1/2 the stem. I had a few questions though. My ABV still has bits of green in it, and usually if I put my days ABV from my Zap into 1 bowl in my Buddha I can get 2-3 big hits out of it. Do you think it's worth buying 1 of those variable temperature adapters so I can sometimes run it at 13v, like at night when I want to get knocked out? I still find it gets me really high off tiny amounts though.

I used to go through around 5-6 bowls in my DBV per day but with this thing I can load up a whole days worth of ABV and it comes out to maybe 1 bowl in my DBV haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrAd-qpCPyM

TwztedVaper,
Very nice Twz. You might consider making some butter with your abv. I've been doing that with the abv from my mflb and am amazed how much meds still remain after vaping. YMMV of course. I don't have my crz yet to try the abv from it.

TheDudeNextDoor,

Vitolo

Vaporist
TwztedElegance said:
Got a CRZ a few days back and I love it....
Don't forget, that you will experiment with grind, and packing.... and that combined with long.. slow steady draw, may lead to discovering a darker ABV!
Another aspect... Recently... very recently... since you got your unit, some users noticed that when they used a 12.5 V DC transformer they got a slightly warmer hit.
You have a 12.5 V AC transformer... as I do on all of my Zaps.. and as most of us have.
Rick started using DC transformers in the last weeks, and mom for example says they give her a boost.
A couple of people have gone to the 13.5 as you mentioned.
Is your access to inexpensive transformer OK?

Vitolo,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
chib said:
So tired of combustion... Cant wait for my CRZ to get repaired so she will be able to cook me a stem or three :ko:

What happened to your CRZ to make it stop working?

Progress,

chib

Kush please
I don't know... It never worked properly to begin with.

Ever since day one I was only able to get very very tiny hits but I figured that's how they were supposed to be. Then I dropped it a couple times within the time I had it and It got to a point where I was unable to get a vapor hit. I sent it back to Rick a week ago, should be there in a couple more days for repairs.

I'm looking at another week of combustion (minimum) ... Sigh

chib,
Top Bottom