Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

al bundy

Vaporist
^^^^^^ yep thinking the same thing. if that was covered and it cracked in more than one place youd hear/feel it rattle.
but i like the idea of the cement for insulating.

Does the Rock zap run at the same temp as a SSS Zap?
thanks for the pics!! ;)

al bundy,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
lwien, I totally understand where you are coming from. :) The crack happened prior to being put into the wood and being heated up. There are no rattles of any kind. And, the entire Zap, wood included, was dropped after being plugged in at Rick's shop without any damage to the heat port or cement.

Folks, I, for one, really appreciate how thoroughly lwien "investigates" new vapes, vape products, and manufacturers. He does this for the benefit of everyone here at this forum. I would expect no less than for him to ask pertinent questions about the RockZap. Thank you lwien.

al, I haven't tried the SSS without the concrete and this is the only RockZap in existence at this time. There's no way to compare. But, from what I hear, the SSS is putting out awesome vapor. Time will tell whether or not the vapor produced is the same or more with the concrete. Time will also tell the longevity of the RockZap as compared to the standard SSSZap. Hard to know when both are only a month or so old. :cool:

momofthegoons,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Casting a wire mesh would actually be a brilliant idea tv. I'm not going to lie, I had initial concern that the concrete would crack if clumsily dropped, as so many of us do from time to time. Although, reenforced concrete is a very practical and simple solution. This thing is really becoming a product of brilliant engineering.

HighSti,

smartrott

I'm so ready for a zap. I've been reading, reading and reading this forum. I got home from work and saw damn near 2 full pages of new reading for me. Whoo hooo. I've confused the fuck out of Rick in e-mails recently, sorry Rick. I've got to get my mind of this, or do I? I'm thinking that I'm gonna love it. Thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome here. By the way, it's hard for me too get my thoughts translated to the keyboard, so sorry if I seem confusing.

smartrott,

the ob

all good in the hood.
lwien said:
kewpcer said:
She stated that it occurred during manufacture...

Rick heats up these units at time of manufacturer, so my question to Rick is, did this happen prior to applying heat or before. Just curious.

kewpcer, being that you called me a "truther" in another post in this thread:
kewpcer said:
And in less than an hour the rock heatport finds a truther...

and considering the tone in your response above, I'm thinking that you're thinking that I come in here with the sole purpose of invalidating the Zap, which couldn't be further from the truth. The fact of the matter is that just about EVERY TIME that I recommend a PD, I also recommend the Zap right along side of it.

I'm just very inquisitive and it's not with just the Zaps.

I have been on this site for some time now. I want to comment on Lwien. He does have a very strong relationship with Tom and the PD community. That being said, I have found him to be very supportive of Rick and the zaps in the last year or so. He does question in many different areas on this forum and often the questions are valid.

Sometimes posts (and emails for that matter) are not taken as they are intended. It is hard when you are not standing in front of a person and cannot see their expressions or hear their tone.

I do not feel that Lwien comes in here to discredit. I think he is just being himself. I know he would take offense to someone doing that in the PD forum and has enough respect to not do that here.

Just my two cents.

I am very intrigued by the advances with the concrete.

My question would be one of aesthetics and not function. I wonder if there is a way to incorporate the concrete while still maintaining the look of the zap as it is now. Just a question.

the ob,

SirElton

lwien said:
The fact of the matter is that just about EVERY TIME that I recommend a PD, I also recommend the Zap right along side of it..

I can attest to this. lwien was the one who first told me about Zaps. I was looking for my first vape and asked about the iolite. After some conversation he said, "Purple Days or MyrtleZap if efficiency is high on your priority list." So I checked them both out and decided on the Zap. I'm sure PD is a fantastic product, but had I gone with the Purple Days, I'd still have nearly a month left to wait. That's too long for someone who's been smoking from a 2 liter all summer. Thanks to Rick, I'm vaping right now. :) Which was ultimately why I went with MZ. That and the LED ;)

SirElton,

Vitolo

Vaporist
naughty-1.gif

Vitolo,

esrever

Herb: best aphrodisiac and stereo tweak on Earth
Maybe at this point the concrete liner is written in stone (committed to), but
cork might be another option. It's a good insulator and very light weight.
Don't know how it compares to concrete cost-wise. And perhaps it wouldn't stand up to the heat.

As handsome as cork is, it could also have potential as an outer wrap, either in place of
wood or as a cover for inexpensive / less aesthetic wood. Recently saw all kinds of
things made from cork- hats, belts, wallets, purses, aprons -and they were beautiful.
In addition to being good looking, light, durable and a good insulator, it is also environmentally friendly
and 100% sustainable (like hemp and bamboo, which might be another candidate for the Zap).

esrever,

kewpcer

I state this with no malice and in a calm temperment. I wouldn't normally address this, but I enjoy this forum and I'd like to err to the side of clarity. I feel that some of this story is being lost in the telling.

For the record, and for the last... I'm not misreading anything and not implying that lwien is up to any nefarious means other than zealously playing the devil's advocate. A trait for which he is prized. Anyone can reread the thread for themselves.

After the RockZap announcement he posted concerning two things... pointing out that time would tell on the liner's promises of quality of build, when obviously if Rick had used a naked liner in his bare hands the chance of it scorching wood is nill. I'll give him that as a devil's advocate, though. He then brought up that the transformer plug issue hadn't been solved, which I can't for the life of me understand A. What that had to do with heatport design, and B. Rick has solved that issue as much as possible on his end, as well as other fixes in the thread. Any further change would have to be done by Jameco, not Rick or any other vendor. These spurious concerns caused me to label him a truther. I'm sorry if that name carries more venom that I'd like, but there's no other term for what I saw happening, so I used it. If it's the source of the tension then I apologize. lwien responded. Mom then graciously clarified my point, so I felt no need to address that issue further.

Then, he replies to mom's review asking specifically if it was possible that the heat from the heatport had cracked her liner, when in her review she specifically stated that it had happened during the construction of the unit. I referred him to reread her post, and that she had covered that point specifically.

That's where I left off. I'm not flaming, and I'm not angry. If this is beyond the realm of what's acceptable here, then so be it. Please delete it. In this case I feel like I've done nothing but address errors in the line of questioning of a product I use and endorse.

kewpcer,

lwien

Thanks guys.

While I do have a close relationship with Tom, as active as I am here and at GC, I cannot let that relationship dictate my recommendations.

I see wayyy to much fanboyisim going on where people will only recommend one vape, regardless of the situation of the person inquiring as to which vape they should purchase. I see this happening with 'Cano's, Surfers, Buddhas, Launch Boxes, PD's and yes...........Zaps. I don't allow myself to fall into that trap but would much rather be as objective as I can possibly be without any kind of friendships or subjective opinions to cloud my statements. When someone says that they primarily want a vaporizer that is efficient, I will recommend the PD as well as the Zap. When someone asks for a vape to use in party situations or a vape that will hit you in the head like a runaway train, I will recommend neither.

I wouldn't have recommended the Zaps a few years ago when the Zaps heat ports were made from brass that contained some lead. While it was debated here as to the real-world health concerns, it concerned me enough not to recommend them and I did so without any thought about my close ties with Tom. Rick changed things up since then by using lead free brass and since then, I've been recommending the Zaps right along with the PD's.

You guys are right now jumping all over this new design change in the Zaps and while I agree that they do look promising, I will reserve judgement until they've been out in the field for some time and we can see some medium to long term advantages both in terms of performance and reliability.

Now my objectivity may turn some of you off, but it's who I am and I really try to stay clear of bandwagons, regardless from where they originate.

Fuck, I ran Magic Fllght through the fucking ringer when they first came out with their Launch Tube (gave them as much grief as I gave VaporIcer......lol), but as of now, ANYTIME anyone asks about getting a stealthy portable, the LB is the first thing I recommend.

I love to see new, innovative designs hit the market, be they brand new designs, or improvements on older designs, for they push the technology forward and that benefits us all, but I also think that they SHOULD be questioned and taken to task, for that too, in my opinion, benefits us all.

Thanks again for kudos'. Much appreciated.

Edit: Edit: kewpcer, you just labeled me as a devils advocate. The primary definition of a devils advocate is a follows, "a person who expresses a contentious opinion in order to provoke debate". Typically, this is a person that will take an opposing view just to spur debate even if they don't believe the point they are taking. That is NOT what I do here or at GC. Never have, never will.

Ok, no more from me on this. Just felt I needed to clarify things a bit in the hopes that any future posts won't get misunderstood in regards to my intent.

lwien,

the ob

all good in the hood.
kewpcer said:
I state this with no malice and in a calm temperment. I wouldn't normally address this, but I enjoy this forum and I'd like to err to the side of clarity. I feel that some of this story is being lost in the telling.

For the record, and for the last... I'm not misreading anything and not implying that lwien is up to any nefarious means other than zealously playing the devil's advocate. A trait for which he is prized. Anyone can reread the thread for themselves.

After the RockZap announcement he posted concerning two things... pointing out that time would tell on the liner's promises of quality of build, when obviously if Rick had used a naked liner in his bare hands the chance of it scorching wood is nill. I'll give him that as a devil's advocate, though. He then brought up that the transformer plug issue hadn't been solved, which I can't for the life of me understand A. What that had to do with heatport design, and B. Rick has solved that issue as much as possible on his end, as well as other fixes in the thread. Any further change would have to be done by Jameco, not Rick or any other vendor. These spurious concerns caused me to label him a truther. I'm sorry if that name carries more venom that I'd like, but there's no other term for what I saw happening, so I used it. If it's the source of the tension then I apologize. lwien responded. Mom then graciously clarified my point, so I felt no need to address that issue further.

Then, he replies to mom's review asking specifically if it was possible that the heat from the heatport had cracked her liner, when in her review she specifically stated that it had happened during the construction of the unit. I referred him to reread her post, and that she had covered that point specifically.

That's where I left off. I'm not flaming, and I'm not angry. If this is beyond the realm of what's acceptable here, then so be it. Please delete it. In this case I feel like I've done nothing but address errors in the line of questioning of a product I use and endorse.

I understand where you are coming from and I in no way meant for my comment to be taken as a jab specifically at you.

I think we have experienced some drama in this forum (and others too!) and just want to try to help keep the peace. :peace:

We just want everyone to be happy with their purchases. People are ultimately going to buy the device that they feel is just right for them for their own reasons.

the ob,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
While I suppose I could be considered a bit of a "fangal" here in Zapville, it is because I try to only post in vaporizer discussions that I have knowledge of as well as in manufacturer's threads that I respect. But one of the reasons that I am vehement in my praise of the Zap (and TT, and LB...) is because of the manufacturer. In Rick's case, I've watched drama unfold over the last two years and have also seen Rick do his utmost, often at expense to him, to make things right or better. He's done it without gimmicks or contests; only in new and improved products and accessories. In this new venture, he saw the folly in jumping into the concrete liner and has postponed production of this temporarily, except to those who specified that they want it. And those people will not get it until some of the tweaking is finished. He has tremendous pride in what he does and how he "represents" here on FC. He is also extremely thankful to FC and his customers. He believes in this Zap, and I do too.

There are often times, as some of you here can attest, that I get pm's from people wanting to know all about the Zap. I have more than once told a person that I'm not sure the Zap is for them because of their needs. I've told them that this is a vape that takes patience. And that I don't want to see it end up in the "for sale" section. I don't want people to buy a Zap just because of the hoopla. I want people to buy a Zap because it is the right vape for them. And I do not think the Zap is for everybody.

But, that said, I love my Zaps. And it's hard not to be passionate about something you love.

momofthegoons,

gunsup14

[removed]

Modnote: No selling or soliciting items on the forum. Please read the forum rules before posting again. Thank you.

gunsup14,

RumbleShorts

One of the reasons I've been coming back to this forum over the past few months is the level of maturity within the community. The above would have ignited a "flame war" in 95% of the online communities I have ever been involved in. Instead you all explained your position with grace and have moved on. Which is much more difficult.

Thank you all!

RumbleShorts,

lwien

RumbleShorts said:
One of the reasons I've been coming back to this forum over the past few months is the level of maturity within the community. The above would have ignited a "flame war" in 95% of the online communities I have ever been involved in. Instead you all explained your position with grace and have moved on. Which is much more difficult.

Thank you all!

Yeah, this is a pretty special place.

lwien,

the ob

all good in the hood.
momofthegoons said:
While I suppose I could be considered a bit of a "fangal" here in Zapville, it is because I try to only post in vaporizer discussions that I have knowledge of as well as in manufacturer's threads that I respect. But one of the reasons that I am vehement in my praise of the Zap (and TT, and LB...) is because of the manufacturer. In Rick's case, I've watched drama unfold over the last two years and have also seen Rick do his utmost, often at expense to him, to make things right or better. He's done it without gimmicks or contests; only in new and improved products and accessories. In this new venture, he saw the folly in jumping into the concrete liner and has postponed production of this temporarily, except to those who specified that they want it. And those people will not get it until some of the tweaking is finished. He has tremendous pride in what he does and how he "represents" here on FC. He is also extremely thankful to FC and his customers. He believes in this Zap, and I do too.

There are often times, as some of you here can attest, that I get pm's from people wanting to know all about the Zap. I have more than once told a person that I'm not sure the Zap is for them because of their needs. I've told them that this is a vape that takes patience. And that I don't want to see it end up in the "for sale" section. I don't want people to buy a Zap just because of the hoopla. I want people to buy a Zap because it is the right vape for them. And I do not think the Zap is for everybody.

But, that said, I love my Zaps. And it's hard not to be passionate about something you love.

I could not have said it any better or agree more.

Mom, you are the best.

the ob,

Rick

Zapman
Holy sheeet. Gotta go get a glass of gin before I start.
First, I love lwein around our thread. He keeps all of us on our toes. 'Devils Advocate' or not, he asks the kind of questions a serious business person will want to hear. In todays world of internet commerce, you had better be able to answer questions about your product and do it now and up front. Belly up to the bar. Here it is and here is how I did it and why and it is safe and it works and all that stuff. lwein stimulates that kind of communication. He makes us better business men and women. I do feel that in the past much of his direction was, shall we say, only directed in a certain direction or maybe only directed anywhere BUT a particular direction which we are all familiar with. But that was the past.
Over the last year or more we have all evolved to more civility and fairness. I am a here and now guy so I say that whatever has happened in the past is just that. We are here today talking about a new design and it is pretty damn civil. I really do want to hear questions like lwein asks.
So anyway, you fucking damn near tea totaling fucker(herb-wise), we love you here and everywhere. You are lwein and there be no other. Thanks for hanging around now and then.
As for your fucking crack question. Fuck You!
No really, it could very well be from the heat initially as our first cups were not cured properly. It did happen right away so could have been the install too. Point is, it is nothing. Rocks crack. They still are rocks and do their job which in this case is twofold. Insulation and heat retention. With the entire concrete liner encased between stainless and wood with stainless on top where you currently see the concrete, nothing is going anywhere. As mom said, that fucker fell from 6 feet to a concrete floor. The crack was already in it. Anyway, we feel some cracking may only add a bit more imperfection to our product which we always strive for.
And once again I say thank you Alan. A simple wire mesh sleeve will easily slide into our mold if cracking becomes any kind of problem. With all the minds around here, we can overcome anything it seems.

mom, thanks so much for the pics. That is RockZap proto number one. I am so glad to be able to use that very soft Myrtle Burl now. There will be another out there soon. We have some SS flat washers coming that should trim out the concrete top nicely but we never know til we try them.
We did get the mold and tutorial pouring today. A very interesting day with some incredible different woods to try also. Just a few blocks, some will make one Zap(like a piece of redwood) and some two Zaps. None of it Myrtle or Walnut. One nice Cherry chunk. I am going to spin them all out and rock'em. Then we will show some pictures and the fun will start. Probably not til next week as I have parts yet to arrive and still a bunch of regular SSS orders to get out. We saw so much wood our heads were spinning. Even 2 more crates of the nice walnut gunstock blanks. Zaplady went as she will be the one doing most of the pouring.
We do have a way to install the concrete yet look the same from the top as all Zaps. That process is not as simple as it may seem. I suspect we will stick with the install you see pictured above but the heatport/cup will be lower in the wood to get that top portion in a safe area, below the top of the Zap and we will trim out the top of the concrete in some way.
Thanks all for the comments and even a tiny bit of drama. Hell, we have to be careful or it will get too boring around here so keep up the good work.
Vito, wtf was the deleted post? We all know you said something then tried to erase it but FC always lets us know we boo booed since you cannot delete it all. HAha!
Edit for:
We also just stopped at the post office for one of those "too heavy" packages from Oregon. OMG. OMG. Some very nice stuff, maybe 4.5 star, a few 5 star.
This time it may be different. I may just build them first for an 'off the shelf' experience for our customers. So much coming together in such a short time.
Guess we are going to have a ten year anniversary party? Or maybe a contest?

Rick,

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
Oh man, this thread is unstoppable and it's all to the benefit of zapville!
The advances just keep coming thick and fast around here. Amazing what you can achieve with a very business smart manufacturer who really aims to please and a community like FC oozing great ideas to improve an already great product.
Rick you rock, keep rockin' the zaps for all of us!

psyshaman,

Q_

Often here on FC we only hear first impressions and then people disappear, so I just wanted to check in after a year and half of zap use. It's been my daily driver. It's been plugged in 24/7 and works like new. It's small, silent, and convenient. I noticed today it's pictured on Rick's site -- the left-most one in the "base unit only" picture. http://www.aromazap.com/shop/zaps/zap-base-unit-only.html

It's cool to see some innovation here. My old zap works great for me, but I don't use it in a cold drafty room or take lots of pulls in rapid succession. I guess the extra mass and insulation will help get the same good results in more situations.

Btw, part of my routine is to keep about a gram of ground herb in an air-tight container with a fresh mint leaf. It adds a nice flavor, real subtle, and lets the herbs dry some without getting too dry. I don't vape the mint itself.

Q_,

lwien

Rick said:
.......we feel some cracking may only add a bit more imperfection to our product which we always strive for.

:lol: That was a bit of a knee slapper.

Always wishin' ya the best, Rick.

lwien,
lwien said:
Rick said:
.......we feel some cracking may only add a bit more imperfection to our product which we always strive for.

:lol: That was a bit of a knee slapper.

Always wishin' ya the best, Rick.

I second this. Good luck with whatever you do Rick. I want a rockzap at this point and I don't really care how long it takes in the drawing board or in zapville . . . But is there anyway I might be able to request a different wood then my walnut after seeing Mom's beautiful myrtle and these soon-to-be redwood pieces?

biojuggernaut,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Rick said:
Vito, wtf was the deleted post? We all know you said something then tried to erase it but FC always lets us know we boo booed since you cannot delete it all. HAha!
Haha.. no.. I was just leaving a smiley :) as a comment .. to agree with SirEltons words about lwien (who roused my initial curiosity about log vapes as well).
I edited it because I found a more suitable smiley!
naughty-1.gif

Vitolo,
Top Bottom