Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

the ob

all good in the hood.
so after a couple of days with the new superzap, I can say honestly it is a improvement over the previous versions.

What I mean by improvement is that it seems to run hotter, retain the heat more efficiently and heat the material more effectively.

as my good friend nigel said, "these go to eleven"

these go to eleven

the ob,

hunterthompson

Rick, congrats on the awesome new developments!
It was mentioned that the SSS would run forever and never break. Would the RockZap last just as long or (dare I say it?) longer? If the RockZap increases the durability then that gets my vote! I really don't understand what downside there is to using the concrete liner.

hunterthompson,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I must admit I'm curious about the concrete sleeve and the safety of inhalation through concrete. Anyone know whether this is safe or a potential health risk?

Lo,

the ob

all good in the hood.
Lo said:
I must admit I'm curious about the concrete sleeve and the safety of inhalation through concrete. Anyone know whether this is safe or a potential health risk?

I do not believe at any point you would be inhaling through concrete. it is just a sleeve that would wrap around the heat port. all air would still go through the heat port. It is just for insulation.

the ob,

al bundy

Vaporist
i would think the air enters through the top or bottom so theres really no air going through the cement.
ive never seen a log vape yet so i dont know.
waiting for mom to post pics. :cool:

al bundy,

Vitolo

Vaporist
You do not get any air flow from anywhere near the concrete sleeve.
Air is drawn in through Solid Stainless Steel air holes at the very top, and then that air goes right up through the heat port.

Vitolo,

VaporEyeSore

Vitolo said:
You do not get any air flow from anywhere near the concrete sleeve.
Air is drawn in through Solid Stainless Steel air holes at the very top, and then that air goes right up through the heat port.

But it looks like air is drawn in at the top through outer holes down the outside of the one piece unit then up through the drilled center. All this is encased in the steel tubing sheath which is then encased in concrete. Unless the ss tube is enclosed at the bottom then the concrete would indeed be in the air path at the bottom. Im not sure if I am right this is just what i can make out from the pics I have seen so far.

VaporEyeSore,

Vitolo

Vaporist
It is enclosed at the bottom.
Once again... the concrete is in no way near the air path.

Vitolo,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Thanks Vito, I think I get what you're saying about the bottom being sealed.

Lo,

VaporEyeSore

It is enclosed at the bottom.
Once again... the concrete is in no way near the air path.

Sry for confusion (edit: it is open at bottom at the moment but Rick is looking at an enclosed version)

VaporEyeSore,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Rick said:
We have assured ourselves that our slowly cured and baked to a very high temp concrete is safe to use in this application. If one looks closely, you can see the only concrete surface that is exposed to 300+ degree F vaping air is about the size of a quarter, the very bottom of the cup(vaping air is not to full heat at that stage) That is the area that exposes wood in the traditional and current log vape design. I am not sure about the TT on this one.

The bottom can be closed with the addition of a SS fender washer which I believe Rick may be incorporating (hopefully he will). The TT also has this feature.

Alan,

Rick

Zapman
Vito, I hate to say it but you are wrong this time. The vapor airpath flows as Vaporeyesore stated and does go past the quarter sized bottom part of the concrete cup, then back up through the center hole of the heatport and around the ceramic heater where it is heated to the final heat stage before moving through the stem tip contents. In the traditional design(not the TT), that area is wood. That is where the charring starts in the traditional log vape design.
We have convinced ourselves that pulling warm air over a small circle of cured, baked concrete is safe because the concrete is cured or 'sealed' to the consistency of a rock. No concrete dust as it is cured. Just a rock liner but we make the rock.
Having said that, we have already instructed the machine shop to get us a quote on installing a SS flat washer on the very bottom of our current design as Alan(TV) has suggested because he does that in his design. That will make the safety of cured concrete a non issue as the entire air path would be totally enclosed in Stainless steel. That bottom sealing washer would then be electro polished with the entire assembly as the last step in the process. I will report later today on that subject.
We will also be picking up the mold for the liner cup today so will be making good progress in that direction.
A handful out today. I surprised myself even, rockin to the oldies til 10:30 last night.
With regards to any safety issues about our products or soon to be products, please remember we have been through some serious challenges here on FC over the past years regarding the safety of brass. We take the safety subject very seriously because we know the questions will come, as they should.
Elton, I refer to the concrete liner as a 'rock' because cured concrete is a type of rock. Yes, a man-made rock.
Alan, thanks again for your help. A totally sealed SS Airflow is the bullet-proof design that covers the safety issue thoroughly.
Vito, sorry about that. Look a little closer........

Rick,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Ahh yes.. I see it now. I had not been careful enough in my focus previously...
But as you are addressing any question regarding this issue I will confidently stand by my
confidence in the safety of anything Zapville releases! ;)

Vitolo,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Rick said:
Having said that, we have already instructed the machine shop to get us a quote on installing a SS flat washer on the very bottom of our current design as Alan(TV) has suggested because he does that in his design. That will make the safety of cured concrete a non issue as the entire air path would be totally enclosed in Stainless steel. That bottom sealing washer would then be electro polished with the entire assembly as the last step in the process. I will report later today on that subject....

Good thinking, better to eliminate the possibility of a repeat of the "is brass safe?" debate with the concrete. I think everyone likes the idea of a solid stainless airpath over a mix of stainless and concrete anyway, even if there is no real discernible difference during actual usage and its just a mix of placebo and peace at mind.

I gotta admit that I, like Vito, thought that the bottom of the stainless was already seal off. Not just to keep a clean airpath but it would probably help with heat retention even more, wouldnt it?

Either way, i really love the developments over the past month. Going from brass pieces to solid SS was a huge improvement, and the rock insulator sounds awesome too. I know that myself and other FC members had mentioned in the past how we wish there was a log vape that didnt use only wood for an insulator, and this really opens that door wide open. I mean i love the feel and look of nice wood on these, but not having to worry about any charring or cracks or stressing on the wood is what will be awesome about these.

steiner666,

Rick

Zapman
Just talked to our machinist and washer suppliers. Coupla calls back and forth for the exact specs. We have 400 SS washers coming that will be an exact fit for the inside of our outer SS sleeve. They will be tack welded in place at the very bottom of the sleeve before the final electro polish process.
Airflow through the new SSS heatport will be 100% encased in Stainless steel.

Rick,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I'm not sure how you electrically connect to your ceramic heater Rick, but the addition of the SS washer at the bottom of your heatport may now have excluded any soldered electrical joints from the air stream like with the TT. Maybe you already have that feature.

Alan,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Yessss. 100% stainless airpath will be a great marketing reassurance for us the customers. The developments just keep on coming. Rick, I have an idea for placing the rock SSS into the wood body to conceal the concrete. I'll send you an email tonight with a visual representation. Although I don't expect you to use the idea, I'm thinking it may open up doors to your creative and ingenious mind to develop something truly amazing.

Can't wait to watch the further development of this concerete zap :D

HighSti,

collegerower

Rick said:
Airflow through the new SSS heatport will be 100% encased in Stainless steel.

This is great news. This should save hundreds of pages asking if concrete is safe.

Although I don't post often I am always lurking around. Glad to see things are moving smoothly. Keep it up!

collegerower,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Okie dokie.... finally got to where my camera is. Again, I'm so sorry to have not checked that I had it when I posted my review.

The first shot is a side view of the new RockZap by itself. It's made of myrtle burl that would not have been suitable for a standard brass or SSS heatport:

Pretty huh? :) The next is the RockZap next to the standard brass Zap. This is actually the first Zap I ever got and it is the old style heatport. Still working like a champ. I wanted you to see that the RockZap is a bit wider and taller, but not by much:

Here is a comparison shot of the two heat ports from above. You can see the difference in diameter better in this shot:

And, finally, a close up (top view) of the heatport in the cement. The one you've been waiting paitently for. :lol: Now...realize that this is the prototype. It hasn't got it's "makeup" on. Cosmetic improvements, as well as setting the heatport lower are in the works. I also want to point out that there is a small crack visible in the cement that occurred during manufacture that in no way compromises the heat provided or the strength of the concrete. If this area had been covered by a washer (which will happen on the production models) I would never have known. This did not happen due to a fall, etc.

momofthegoons,

kewpcer

She stated that it occurred during manufacture...

And that thing is just startling. Such a beautiful piece of wood. I even like the look of the liner exposed, but I know sealing it in is the practical route.

I just...

can't...

wait!

kewpcer,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Very nice mom! That thing is build like a tank compared to the brass zap.

A wire mesh cage cast in the concrete cup would take care of any cracking concerns. Just like re-bar.
Maybe you already do that.

Alan,

lwien

kewpcer said:
She stated that it occurred during manufacture...

Rick heats up these units at time of manufacturer, so my question to Rick is, did this happen prior to applying heat or before. Just curious.

kewpcer, being that you called me a "truther" in another post in this thread:
kewpcer said:
And in less than an hour the rock heatport finds a truther...

and considering the tone in your response above, I'm thinking that you're thinking that I come in here with the sole purpose of invalidating the Zap, which couldn't be further from the truth. The fact of the matter is that just about EVERY TIME that I recommend a PD, I also recommend the Zap right along side of it.

I'm just very inquisitive and it's not with just the Zaps.

lwien,
Top Bottom