Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

SleepyHead

Wow Ed that walnut zap is gorgeous, as well as the matching tube to go with it. Makes me miss my zap even more :(
All these other wood types and seeing how they are being integrated is making me anxious to see what's in the future!

SleepyHead,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
SleepyHead said:
Wow Ed that walnut zap is gorgeous, as well as the matching tube to go with it. Makes me miss my zap even more :(
All these other wood types and seeing how they are being integrated is making me anxious to see what's in the future!

The walnut is by far the best of the species I have seen from Rick, he selected a great slab for me. I have a few chunks of the rarest woods this world has to offer, been debating on whether or not to ask him to try and turn them into something for me one day, it all depends on the density of these species I have. Who knows maybe one day.

It is alota fun incorporating new woods into functional accessories that look as great as they preform!

Ed's TnT,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
How many years is the average useful life of a Zap?

Which wood lasts the longest?

Thanks

Alan,

Engraver

I've read some posts by people here are still using the original aromazaps from the early 2000's. Of course there have been improvements to it over the years as with most products that have been in the marketplace for several years, but it seems they would/should last many years. Theres not much that can really go wrong with them from what I've seen and read.

On another note - I received my shipment notification from Monday - looks like it should arrive Thursday sometime. It says the 13.5 adapter was shipped with it - but just might be the original invoice/order info included with the shipping - We'll wait and see - Either way...It's all good!. I'll be tappin the Zap later that night after work (if I can wait - I work at home). Thanks Rick for getting it out quickly...It's gonna be a long 2.5 day wait now that I know it's coming. An early Christmas present to me.

Kevin

Engraver,

Rick

Zapman
Kevin
We did not send the 13.5 as previously agreed with you. That was an automatic notice that went out based on your original order. The automatic stuff never catches the behind the scenes extra customer service. Think we included an extra stem and a Planejane glass stem holder.
Thanks again for your confidence in us and good words. Let us know if you have any questions when it gets there. My guess is Wednesday arrival unless there was a snafu somewhere getting out of Spokane yesterday.

I have no idea about average useful life for a Zap. They will go several years or a couple, depending on use. Some people really treat these things like little logs. With easy 1-2 person daily use I would say several years they will live. !3.5 will cut that time down as the wood does not appreciate the extra heat.

Rick,

Engraver

Yep it's here - and a beauty she is. Thanks for the PlaneJane and xtra stem in place of the 13.5. She's warming up and gave her a quick polish while waiting. When I get my next one (Need one for the shop), I'm gonna order a couple of those myrtle wood stem holders.

Thanks for all your service Rick. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. Since I do engraving - I might even cut a design in her...We'll see.

Engraver

Engraver,

EonBlue

Soul Rebel
I am really looking forward to receiving mine as well, does Rick send out a shipping confirmation for every order?

EonBlue,

nerae

Hey guys,

Received my MZ today, too. :D However I seem to be burning the bowls a little with my inhale technique...does anyone have pointers? The remains have been a dark brown/light blackish and tasted a little burned, but I'm not sure if I'm missing an obvious tip..

Thanks!

nerae,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
so ive been good with not scraping my clear tooty for wand hash but a couple min ago i grabbed enough crystals (at the mouth end, it was light brown tinted crystals that looked like kief abv) and i rolled it up in my fingers and it turned into a little black tar ball....inserted little hash ball in the middle of a stem load and got 3 big hashy hits from one stem. I usually get one big hit per stem. Fucking vaped as shit now....and i have soooooo much more wans hash to scrape. every now and then im gonna scrape out a ball in the morning and go to town. just like my abv brownies, a gift that keeps on giving!!!

JDSupreme,

SmokingElectricity

JDSupreme said:
so ive been good with not scraping my clear tooty for wand hash but a couple min ago i grabbed enough crystals (at the mouth end, it was light brown tinted crystals that looked like kief abv) and i rolled it up in my fingers and it turned into a little black tar ball....inserted little hash ball in the middle of a stem load and got 3 big hashy hits from one stem. I usually get one big hit per stem. Fucking vaped as shit now....and i have soooooo much more wans hash to scrape. every now and then im gonna scrape out a ball in the morning and go to town. just like my abv brownies, a gift that keeps on giving!!!

aww damn. i love wand hash.

love it :ko:

SmokingElectricity,

nerae

Engraver said:
Describe your technique...I'm sure someone will be able toi help!

Well, my line of thinking was that maybe the tubes were being packed too tight and restricting airflow (since it seemed a little concentrated with the darker coloring), but I'll be the first to say I'm often wrong ;)

I tend to inhale until my throat gets a hot, but have noticed it takes longer to get hot by packing a smaller amount.

I'm probably just making a few newbie mistakes...time to go back to browsing the other pages of this thread for tips!

nerae,

Rick

Zapman
nerae
Log vapes are particularly unique in that everything is already 'set'. The heat is constant, the bowl size is fixed so it is up to the user to vary the flow in some way. Here are some flow varying techniques:

Vary the grind. Too fine does make a lot of surface area but packs too easily and generally will not let the air flow around all that surface area properly. Play with the grind.

We still like very dry herbal material. Maybe coarse ground pepper consistency. Usually, when herb is dry enough, you do not need a grinder. Just crunch up in your fingers. Does make for sticky fingers though.

Fill tip only half full to start. Get the flow down then do bigger bowls(stem tips)

Vary the stem tip pack. It sounds to me like you had it too loose, causing more and hotter air through the stem tip contents. Too tight and you will not be able to suck properly but I generally recommend tighter than just a "straw suck". A bit tighter pack will allow the heated air to move through the stem tip contents slower and steadier. A tighter pack with slightly coarser grind will still allow air to move through the load at the right pace.

Vary the draw. Do not try to suck hard. Do not expect a free flowing glass(or wooden) pipe draw. The draw is restricted by design so you must work with that, not try to make it go away. Pull easy and slow after starting with a couple choo choo type pulls to get the vapor started.

This is just a start and maybe others will add to the list. The bottom line is log vapes will teach one patience and perseverance in the process of getting the flow right. Once you get it, you will always have it.
Getting to know your log is a learning experience. Once you know it you will love it. The good news about your log is it appears to be plenty hot.

edit for:
Looks like any orders received through Saturday will make before Christmas delivery for sure. That could include the entire weekend if it does not get too crazy here in Zapville.
Also, many folks get in the habit of testing the stem tip pack by pulling on the stem before they put it in the Zap. If it pulls too easily, pack a bit tighter and visa versa.

Rick,

SmokingElectricity

^^^good tips Rick. gonna have to apply this.

EDIT: just got my zap back from Rick. thanks for taking a look at it and giving it a tune up.

SmokingElectricity,

nerae

Thank you very much for those tips Rick. I tried the straw pretest and noticed it was too loose, so that has already made a noticeable difference. I appreciate your professionalism and compassion for your product and its community.

I can't wait until the Tooty and stem holder get here...I'm extremely impressed with the Zap and all of its offerings!

nerae,

Albert Hofmann

Convicted vapist
Took the zap with me on vacation to a cabin on the coast last week and it ran way hotter than it ever does at home, in fact, it seemed like it was running hotter than when I use it with a koozie here at home. Just curious if anyone else has experienced such a huge difference in how hot their log runs after using it at different locations. Thought it seemed strange, my ABV from the zap is usually a milk chocolate brownish color, and at the cabin, it was coming out almost black, the vapor was much harsher than it had ever been before, and the zap itself was almost uncomfortable to hold on accounta it was so hot. Got back home, plugged it in and it's back to normal. It works much more to my liking here at home!

Albert Hofmann,

Hammock Guru

Hi,
I've had a Zap from early on and have three of them now including a Myrtle beauty. There one on each of my desks-work and home-and one in my car.
Yes, I've noticed significan temperature variations based on electrical sources--a variation of "locations". The standard here is 220V, so at the office I have a small step down unit (220 to 110V) and there I seldom have visible vapor. Sometimes I only know that I'm high when I have to engage someone who's straight.
The car, of course, is running on 12V as is my home (solar). When the car is cruising and when the batteries at home are fully charged, my vapor is creamy. At night, when there's a lot of demand on the batteries the unit does not get as hot..it's more like I find in my office.
~HG

Hammock Guru,

Rick

Zapman
Albert
You are experiencing something very common and repeated here in the past.
All electrical grids are not equal. They are designed to run within a range of voltage, not at an exact voltage. Each grid can run a bit more or less voltage depending on many circumstances. Your cabin was at the top end of the voltage range and home is closer to average.
Remember, all the transformer does is step down at roughly 10:1 the voltage coming in to the transformer from your house/electric grid. At 110 volts from the plug, you will get 11 volts out. At 120 volts you get 12 out, etc. The cabin could be close to 130 volts. Most appliances are also designed to allow for this variation in input voltage.
Our transformers are UNREGULATED as are all supplied with all log vapes. That means they will step down the available power in the grid ONLY. They will not supply an exact voltage every time. They are totally dependent on the voltage coming from the grid.
REGULATED transformers on the other hand will supply an exact voltage all the time. Here is one from Jameco that will work for the log vapes. It has 12 volts DC output. Our standard transformers are 12 volts AC.
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_170245_-1

Edit for:
Hammock! How goes the battle in the land of OZ? Making as many smiles as possible in the never-ending battle with reality I'd bet. Keep up the good work and have a super holiday season. Or is it even a holiday season in your neck of the jungle?

Rick,

Hammock Guru

Hi Rick!

Any excuse for a party, mate. The monks even say "Merry Christmas" as they pass by. As this country has more holidays than any other in the world, finding time to raise a glass of cheer--even a whole day--ain't no problem.

Happy Holidays!
HG

Hammock Guru,

Rick

Zapman
Been hoping I could do this soon.
ALL Zap orders made as of now have shipped today for a Wednesday arrival if the mail is on time. They should for sure be there before Christmas even if the mail is late. A few small orders will go out tomorrow for a Thursday arrival. Nerae, your order is in that group. I had to delay it a few days waiting to get glass back in stock.

And.....any new orders will not ship til after Christmas unless they are small misc stuff. We are going to take a few days off and enjoy veging for awhile. Grandkids are here for a few days so we will not be able to play naked in the snow but we'll have fun for sure.
Everybody be sure to take in the special Lunar eclipse tonight. Shortest day of the year is almost over too..............

Rick,

reece

If the clouds break but it doesn't seem likely. You enjoy that eclipse for me and Merry Christmas.

reece,

nerae

Hey Rick,

Thank you for the update. Is there any chance that you could hold onto that package for me until the 30th? I'm going to be out of town until 1/1/2011, and I don't want some stranger walking by to possibly pick up the Tooty.

Loving the Zap more day by day!

nerae,
Top Bottom