Arizer Solo

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
@Jethro Did you get the standard PV or the HES version? I can't see any grooves in the standard version piccy on vapefiend?

I have the Easy Flow GonG WT and have no problems with it, though I have been toying with the idea of getting the PV one , to see what the difference might be.

I guess if you can get a WoG WTA it wouldn't have any grooves, but not sure if there is a WoG for the Solo?

1DMF,
Reactions: Nugg

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Does anyone use the wooden stem with metal chamber?

If so how does it compare to the glass stems?
Does it heat as well and create good tasting clouds?
How does it fit in the over compared to the glass stems from PV, are they still just as loose?
I'm assuming if the chamber is metal is will expand with heat far more than the glass would, is this the case?

These are the ones on offer at vapefiend : https://www.vapefiend.co.uk/arizer-solo-wooden-mouthpiece.html

If you have a wooden stem, what one do you have, where did you get it and what made you choose the one you have?

I have one of Ed's Blackwood Stems and it's shown in the link provided.
- Mine does take a tiny bit longer to heat up versus a glass stem BUT.... it retains the heat better so sometimes I shut the Solo off knowing I can get another hit or two before it cools.
- It's a beautiful piece. The craftsmanship is phenomenal. I've mentioned before that it's so beautiful I almost hate to use it.
- Mine, like the one in the link, has the 4 grooves that increase air flow and it fits like a glove.
- It also works better in my gong/bubbler than the glass stems.
- The game changing aspect is it made it possible for me to take the Solo out and about easier because... it won't break and came with a cap that fits beautifully so I can fill it and go.

OF

- Mine, like the one in the link, has the 4 grooves that increase air flow and it fits like a glove.

Did you perhaps mean to say "notches"? I believe that's the conventional description, 'grooves down the side, notches in the rim' to differentiate the two mods on the PV stem.

Otherwise a 'spot on post' IMO. Ed's stems are almost too cool not to keep in the safe deposit box.......

OF

TheWhisper

I have one of Ed's Blackwood Stems and it's shown in the link provided.
- Mine does take a tiny bit longer to heat up versus a glass stem BUT.... it retains the heat better so sometimes I shut the Solo off knowing I can get another hit or two before it cools.
- It's a beautiful piece. The craftsmanship is phenomenal. I've mentioned before that it's so beautiful I almost hate to use it.
- It also works better in my gong/bubbler than the glass stems.
- The game changing aspect is it made it possible for me to take the Solo out and about easier because... it won't break and came with a cap that fits beautifully so I can fill it and go.

Your link doesn't seem to be clickable.

OF

Yep...meant notches. Thanks OF for keeping me honest! Sometimes it can be an all day job ;)

No charge. You know what the White Rabbit said to Alice? "Sometimes it takes all the running we can do to stay in the same place".....

Glad to have your back.

"You lie, and I'll swear to it".

Your link doesn't seem to be clickable.

If you check you'll see he's not the guy who provided the link, it was the OP......and it works, I tried it to understand the point.

OF

Jethro

Yes, our bud Randy at PIU sells a Solo/Air Gong without grooves or notches. I'm looking at mine right now. It too has it's compromises, you have to be willing to pay less and accept faster free shipping (maybe he'll delay it for you if you ask nice.....):
http://www.puffitup.com/Solo-Air-Gong-p/arz.air-105_water.htm
OF

I would have bought that one but it's a 14mm GonG and I really wanted an 18 to go with my two glass pieces coming. Less money and faster shipping- who would want that?

@Jethro Did you get the standard PV or the HES version? I can't see any grooves in the standard version piccy on vapefiend?

I have the Easy Flow GonG WT and have no problems with it, though I have been toying with the idea of getting the PV one , to see what the difference might be.

I guess if you can get a WoG WTA it wouldn't have any grooves, but not sure if there is a WoG for the Solo?

So I ordered from PlanetVape and they have 5 GonGs for the Solo on there. They are all marked the same way, PVHE. I am still massively confused by what is what for GonGs. I just hope what I get works, although it might be a while before I get my glass from DHgate.

You can get a 14mm WonG from Ed's TNT stems. They had those at Puffitup. For 14mm that seems like the way to go.

TheWhisper

No charge. You know what the White Rabbit said to Alice? "Sometimes it takes all the running we can do to stay in the same place".....

Glad to have your back.

"You lie, and I'll swear to it".

If you check you'll see he's not the guy who provided the link, it was the OP......and it works, I tried it to understand the point.

OF

Thanks, I see now. That line of white text in the middle of his post threw me off.

Jethro

Does anyone use the wooden stem with metal chamber?

Man, I gotta tell you... I just enjoyed two stems tonight after work with my Ed's TNT and it is awesome. I don't think I'm gonna modify it at all. It draws a bit harder but it hits harder. Bad ass. Gotta say, this stem is TOPS for the Solo. For my Solo anyway. Buying a 14mm short stem

Just this evenings report. With Solo. Thank you for reading.

OF

Man, I gotta tell you... I just enjoyed two stems tonight after work with my Ed's TNT and it is awesome. I don't think I'm gonna modify it at all. It draws a bit harder but it hits harder. Bad ass. Gotta say, this stem is TOPS for the Solo. For my Solo anyway. Buying a 14mm short stem

Just this evenings report. With Solo. Thank you for reading.

Sounds like you broke the code, welcome aboard. Ed did a fine job, doncha think?

Nice to have a little piece of art to focus on while vaping sometimes.

OF

OF

And who was it that suggested those ebay screens? Those are awesome, they came in today. Fast shipping! Anyway, thanks to whomever it was!

That would be Brother Sinclue. And you're right, they are well worth the price of admission.

I've bought 20 I think, I've got two left unused. I have several stems to fill, of course, but have given a dozen or so to everyone I know that has a Solo/Air. At least two ordered more. No complaints......

Great invention for sure. Guy should get a Nobel Prize IMO (which doesn't seem to mean near as much as it used to.....).

OF

Dr. Soxhlet

SOLO Vaporized Cannabis is my Best Medicine
When I had the bent stem I used to Rock it.
Now I Rock & Roll with the straight stem.

Seems like when I use my Solo in bed the guy in the painting on the wall always plays something:
hendrix1.jpg

But I know its' all in my head......Miss the music. Hendrix left this world too soon!!:leaf:

Enjoying some nice AC/DC in my Solo this evening!

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Did you perhaps mean to say "notches"? I believe that's the conventional description, 'grooves down the side, notches in the rim' to differentiate the two mods on the PV stem.

Otherwise a 'spot on post' IMO. Ed's stems are almost too cool not to keep in the safe deposit box.......

OF
@OF I don't like the taste of wood?

Thanks for all your help!

OF

@OF I don't like the taste of wood?

Thanks for all your help!

Beats me what you like the taste of woodwise.....I prefer the taste of herb myself usually.

You're welcome, glad we finally got through to you.....just wish I knew when/how.

In a rare serious moment it's my opinion your obvious enthusiasm is a serious asset around here. Viva Ataxian!

OF

Nugg

@Jethro In the gif I posted over the weekend I was using the pvhe gong. It doesn't get much more milky than that. I love the grooves and the notches. I draw pretty hard and don't notice the solo cooling down before I need to clear the water tool.

I ordered 2 carbed Joda gongs, tried them a few times and didn't like them at all. I never mentioned it anywhere here before because everyone else seems to love them. I found with no grooves or notches it was like sucking a golf ball through a garden hose. The draw was so tight that it made my throat sore. The thicker glass didn't heat up as much (couldn't even milk a water tool) and being that I use my solo on 7 with a water tool I couldn't bump the temperature up to compensate. I notice that the Joda stems the PIU sells now have the notches.

I repurposed my Joda gongs, 1 I use as a carbed whip adapter and the other pairs nicely with my hybrid HI.

I don't use my ed's stem that much either. Normally take it when I venture out of the house with the solo as an unbreakable back up.

AegonT

And who was it that suggested those ebay screens? Those are awesome, they came in today. Fast shipping! Anyway, thanks to whomever it was!

That would be Brother Sinclue. And you're right, they are well worth the price of admission.

I've bought 20 I think, I've got two left unused. I have several stems to fill, of course, but have given a dozen or so to everyone I know that has a Solo/Air. At least two ordered more. No complaints......

Great invention for sure. Guy should get a Nobel Prize IMO (which doesn't seem to mean near as much as it used to.....).

OF

link please?

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Well I have been in touch with Ed and he has deterred me from going down the mod route.

He say's
am unable to make those types of modifications to my SS bushings. The metal is to thin to do this type of alteration. I do know that the air flow with my stems is very easy and unrestricted, when packed correctly there is no restriction.

So with that advisory from Ed and this comment from @Jethro

Man, I gotta tell you... I just enjoyed two stems tonight after work with my Ed's TNT and it is awesome. I don't think I'm gonna modify it at all. It draws a bit harder but it hits harder. Bad ass. Gotta say, this stem is TOPS for the Solo.

I have just put in an order for a Purple Heart for my Birthday, so thanks to all who advised, I'll let you know how I get on with it.

I have Ed's TnT stem for my Da Vinci Ascent and his 14mm WonG, so I know the quality is good :tup:

OF

@Jethro ok, stupid question.... why domed and not flat screens (gauzes) ?

Is this an attempt to make the Solo more convection vs conduction?

No, such a change of mode is not really possible. Convection has to come from a hotter (in degrees) source than the load in order to transfer useful heat (in calories not degrees) into the load. Making vapor takes lots of the calorie kinda heat. Some might think otherwise, but Thermodynamics says them's the rules.

The ideas behind the domed screens include two major ones depending on configuration. "Dome down" lets the entire screen area 'work', it takes a LONG time to foul all the holes where flat screens only really use the small areas above the holes and foul much faster. "Dome up" adds a often desired reduction in the volume of the load (and keeps most of the load close to the cup). For those that don't finish a normal stem in a single session this means each session can start with 'full, fresh taste'.

Sorry to disagree, no way a "stupid question". You want some examples of stupid questions? PM me.......

They taught us in 'Teacher School' that when a student asks an 'obvious, simple question they should know' there's sure to be others more in need without the urge to ask. I think that applies here? They also taught 'there are really no (sincere) stupid questions, but far to few smart answers'. The goal as an Instructor is to encourage the questions and give the best possible answer (from different perspectives if possible).

Ask on, Jethro. Others are wondering too.

OF

Jethro

I'm still learning myself, but I think OF nailed it. I'm probably only 14-16 stems experienced (Hendrix reference bonus) with my Solo, so the holes getting fouled is still pending for me. But I can see how if the screen is pressed hard against the stem the holes will get gnarly fast. I mostly like the reduced volume of the bowl. I went back and forth with my GonG order because I was torn about a shorty bowl. Now I'm glad I didn't go that route- the domed stems are awesome for a bit reduced bowl size. I have been vaporizing for 3 solid years and the funny thing is, people say they go through SO MUCH less material. Well, I never saw that because of my PAX. May have even increased how much herb I used. Even when I used a spacer in the oven the material taste would get so charred that I would reload frequently. It's amazing I can pack so little in a Solo stem and draw on it for the entire 12 minute heating cycle to auto shut off. And it still tastes pretty good- at least clean I should say- unlike the PAX. It turns to popcorn after a bit, but at least it doesn't turn to burnt popcorn like the PAX. These screens are the perfect size... try to dome a screen you have at home and stuff it in a stem- I did- it doesn't work so well. These screens are rugged. I will likely get another 10 just to be safe, but they look like they will last.

OF

Once again the fountain of knowledge giveth with open arms :)

Looks like I'll be ordering some and having a play myself!

Perhaps, at least from your perspective. However there's a lot of opinion to the effect 'lame advice I didn't really need is just one of the many things he's full of...".

I like yours better.

Jump on it. You can be the first to think it's a waste of a dollar, but I think the odds on that are long indeed.

Regards and thanks.

OF

Top Bottom