Arizer Solo

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
My buddy said his battery gets discharged a bit when doing this. He also says his solo runs hotter when doing this.

That's pretty well in line with it being charged and discharged simultaneously then, it's probably charging at something like .5C while discharging at around 1C. And if the solo discharges the battery directly into the element, then the extra power present from that charging could make things heat up a bit.

It's a cool feature, but this is going to be very stressful on the battery. I don't recommend doing this at all.

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
Is the Solo really doing a passthrough, or is it charging the battery while it is discharging?

If it is passing through, that is very cool. If it is charging while vaping off the battery; then that is going to be very bad for it. I do not recommend doing this if you want your battery to last.
How should I test this? The battery is full right now so I am running it down a bit and then I am going to plug the unit in and run it and see if the battery level varies ... does that sound like a feasible way of checking?

I'm not too worried about ruining the battery in testing ... I'll just grab one of your HC battery packs when I order my vvps :nod:

Edit: how does the pnp get away with charging while in use? You think the battery in a pnp will go bad prematurely from using in this manner?

Last edited:
MileHighLife,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
How should I test this? The battery is full right now so I am running it down a bit and then I am going to plug the unit in and run it and see if the battery level varies ... does that sound like a feasible way of checking?

I'm not too worried about ruining the battery in testing ... I'll just grab one of your HC battery packs when I order my vvps :nod:

Edit: how does the pnp get away with charging while in use? You think the battery in a pnp will go bad prematurely from using in thhis manner?
If you're really not afraid, then I would propose that you charge it all the way up, then start running back-to-back 12-minute sessions on 7 (maybe 8 or 10?) and then check the battery level to see if there has been any discharge.

:peace:

MileHighLife

If you're really not afraid, then I would propose that you charge it all the way up, then start running back-to-back 12-minute sessions on 7 (maybe 8 or 10?) and then check the battery level to see if there has been any discharge.

But I want to see if it is charging while I'm using it so I think I'll run it down to about 4 bars of battery then run it through a bunch of cycles while plugged in to see if the battery has either gone up or stayed the same ... I figure if it stays the same it will most likely be in pa mode. I think that makes sense ...

exit

But I want to see if it is charging while I'm using it so I think I'll run it down to about 4 bars of battery then run it through a bunch of cycles while plugged in to see if the battery has either gone up or stayed the same ... I figure if it stays the same it will most likely be in pa mode. I think that makes sense ...

It is not running in PA mode or else it would be a miracle of science. Voltage does not worth this way. you cant give it 12v and 7.5v at the same time so no it is NOT pa mode.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
That should accomplish the same mission. ;) The only reason I suggested to start with a topped off battery is that it gives a good hard baseline to judge from. Having used other PAs I can tell you that the battery level does go down during PA mode, albeit much more slowly.

Let us know your results! You're doing yeoman's work.

MileHighLife

So it's definitely charging when plugged in and vaping.

I started at 4 bars of charge and ran it nonstop at level 7 for 4, 12 minute cycles (and 3 stems :smug:). At the end of each cycle I checked the battery level real quick before turning it back on and it gained a bar each cycle (except the 3rd but I'm sure it charged as much as the other cycles) until it was a full 7 bars after the 4th cycle.

The unit didn't get noticeably hotter than a usual cycle on level 7 until the 3rd cycle when I could feel it getting slightly warmer than usual.

@OF @CentiZen how bad is this for the battery? Will it kill the battery super quick? Should I be worried about using my pnp in this manner as it also charges while in use and plugged in?

TIA

MileHighLife,
Reactions: nopartofme

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
This doesn't sound like PA mode. Wouldn't it hammer that battery to be constantly charging like that?

syrupy,
Reactions: OF

craZivn

I would think it would, but I'm no expert.

IN the way of an update to the M1C1 fast-heatup issue, my M1C1 heats to level 7 in almost exactly one minute. Makes clouds for days on level 3 and toasts the ABV to dark brown on level 6. Haven't vaped on levels 1, 2 or 7 yet but I'd say the faster heatup time is a reality we're gonna have to learn to deal with. :)

michaelstone

If this kills the battery before it's time, would be under warranty still wouldn't it? Why would I be told to check it out if it was bad for it?

OF

Is the Solo really doing a passthrough, or is it charging the battery while it is discharging?

If it is passing through, that is very cool. If it is charging while vaping off the battery; then that is going to be very bad for it. I do not recommend doing this if you want your battery to last.

I believe you're right here, it's not a PA, or passthrough, but 'charge while using' like a cell phone typically is. I tend to agree, this will lead to guys leaving it plugged in full time (as is common with cell phones) and therefore short battery lifetime (as is common in phones).

If you have discipline in your usage it's probably not a big deal, but I bet that's not what happens?

My buddy said his battery gets discharged a bit when doing this. He also says his solo runs hotter when doing this.

Both make sense to me. It has to discharge the battery when heating since the wall supply can only give a fraction of the needed power (about 1/3?). It recharges in the off times, but this should make the battery run hotter for the 'double duty'.

I think this was the design logic that pushed the original configuration.

That's pretty well in line with it being charged and discharged simultaneously then, it's probably charging at something like .5C while discharging at around 1C. And if the solo discharges the battery directly into the element, then the extra power present from that charging could make things heat up a bit.

It's a cool feature, but this is going to be very stressful on the battery. I don't recommend doing this at all.

I agree with your discharge number (I measure 2 to 2.5 or so Amps heating with a 2.2 Ah battery, 1C) but the charge number is closer to .3 C (.8 Amps at 2.2 Ah). The 'proof' of this is it takes longer to recharge a dead battery than to discharge it. That is the battery will run the Solo maybe 2 hours but takes 4 to fully charge? That ratio has to hold in this new mode......

It is not running in PA mode or else it would be a miracle of science. Voltage does not worth this way. you cant give it 12v and 7.5v at the same time so no it is NOT pa mode.

Hey, it's 'the season of Miracles', right? An interesting change it seems, but one is left asking 'why?'. That is why did they go to the extra trouble setting it up the way they originally did? I suspect for technically sound reasons that ran headlong into a marketing 'need' that would excite more sales.....in a manner like we see here?

Be fun to see how it plays out, for now I think the geek side of me agrees: This might not be a giant step forward?

It's also fun to me that the 'defect model' has suddenly shifted to the preferred version in a heartbeat or two, long before the evidence is in. Such, I think, is in the nature of man? IMO be fun to see how this shakes out down the road. Might make more customers happier, and also boost replacement battery sales which is sure to make 'the suits' happy........

Thanks for the info guys, much more fun to ponder over than sitting in line for Walmart or Target to open.

Anyone know where the killer BF deal is on a Solo? Looking out for a friend.

I've got friends you really have to keep an eye on too (some you can't leave with children at all....), but somehow I don't think that's what you're talking about?

OF

louloug20

Hi to all!
I just received my solo arize purchased on ebay.com (USA).
I feel that bugg, watch my video on youtube to see if this is normal.

What can I do?

Ty all

louloug20,

michaelstone

Doesn't it work the same way the PA does? When I used friends PA his solo appeared to be acting the same way mine does now.

michaelstone,

OF

Hi to all!

What can I do?

No, it's not normal. Looks like the battery is collapsing. Have you fully charged it before you started messing with it? I think not. You should. I'd start there.

My bet is one of the two batteries is much more discharged than the other, right now you're hammering the poor little guy, I'd stop...... It's trying to protect itself I think.

I suggest fully charging it. Good luck.

OF

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Ok ty for your answers !
I'm charging the solo maximum and again. I will back to tell you if it work!

..I pray
I got a new vaporizer and finally figured it out!
However I pulled out the trusty old SOLO with a PHVES STRAIGHT STEM and fitted with a CHILLUM TIP.
LOADED a medium ground tightly packed OG strain on level 4.

Taste + Flavor + Effect = HEAVY MEDICATION

I pray as well!
Hi to all!

What can I do?

Ty all

OK! Sorry was over medicated for a while!

Looks like the brains are on it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom