Arizer Solo

olivianewtonjohn

Why do you guys stop short of 7 (especially if you have a water pipe)? Even without a water pipe im able to take multiple hits at 7 until I stop getting any vapor.

Also I was wondering for the people who grind. Do you put a screen after your done loading? I find I have to put a screen other wise material falls inside the SS bowl (loading it upside down helps but as soon as you flip it right side up pieces fall inside the bowl). I find I have to use a screen after im loading which kind of is a pain.

arrr

If i am using the glass stem that comes with the Solo i start on level 4 (it drops to 3 during the pull) i do this until i do not see any more vapor. Then i boost it up to level 6 to get a few more hits.

If i am using Ed's Stem i start on level 5 and then end at level 7.

Note: i use a grinder and a screen in the stems

Chill Dude

Why do you guys stop short of 7 (especially if you have a water pipe)? Even without a water pipe im able to take multiple hits at 7 until I stop getting any vapor.

Also I was wondering for the people who grind. Do you put a screen after your done loading? I find I have to put a screen other wise material falls inside the SS bowl (loading it upside down helps but as soon as you flip it right side up pieces fall inside the bowl). I find I have to use a screen after im loading which kind of is a pain.

My preference is levels 3 to 5 w/o water, and levels 6 and 7 with water. It's simply a mater of preference, but I've found that levels 6 and 7 are too harsh and irritating to the throat w/o water. That said, if you can comfortably use level 7 w/o water... That's great!

packing the herb down with your finger and Loading the stem upside down seems to work for me. I've never really experienced any herb dropping into the bowl. I never use a screen to hold in the herb. :leaf:

Chill Dude,

SteezyJ

Yea I grind it as well, and don't use a screen... Some of the product gets pulled through once the flowers dry out and become less adhesive/sticky but it's not too bad, and considering I don't have screens right now I don't really have a choice :\

SteezyJ,

way2

This thing rips!! I have no gong so I rigged a Q elbow to the stem with a small piece of silicone. Tried it out with a locally made beaker with tree perc......the glass is pretty big so I wasn't sure how well it would work...
ENnLnte.jpg

Went quite well IMO:D

hoptimum

without water, I start at 3; with water I start at 4. IME, the taste is cleaner at lower temps. I get around 8 hits at the lower temps and as it starts to get thin, go up a notch. I find that my flowers are well cooked and chocolate brown by the end of 6, so I don't feel the need to go up to 7. I've gotten into the habit of loading and unloading upside down and nothing much seems to remain in the bowl.

hoptimum,
Water spillage wise?

Its not like the HT is like that all the time...I always remove it ... its only like this because I wanted to take a picture.
More like a-stiff-wind-could-knock-it-over-wise. I figured it was just for display purposes, but everytime I look at it, I get :puke:with worry :)

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
LOL, well yeah - if I have to choose a different HT I would but it still works well and you can put it in a safe place...

Its a fact that its almost a year without breakage...or maybe half a year not sure? lol...

And I'm the glass breaker (tm)

m0sh,
Couple weeks back I posted about the wacky beeping/lights flashing charging issues I (and others) occasionally have with the M1A.

I am aware of the "reset" instructions and have made sure my charger is working (red light on when plugged in).

This weekend I stumbled upon either a coincidence or the actual trigger to the problem.

Usually I leave the charger plugged into a wall outlet and attach the Solo when I want to recharge after every use. If I keep recharging in this order, all is fine.

Occasionally, I move things around or am going portable, and when I set up to recharge I plug the Solo into the charger first and THEN put the plug in the outlet.

Almost exclusively, my unit only seems to go out of whack when I plug into a wall outlet as the FINAL step.

And when I need to get the Solo to "reset" by holding down both buttons, it only goes back to "normal" when I plug into a wall outlet as the FINAL step.

To keep it running OK, I can then go back to the "plug into wall outlet FIRST" method (until I forget and have to reset all over again).

I am not an electronics whiz. Is this possible? Can the order you power up the charger be a factor?

Comments?

Tim from Boston,
Reactions: smokum

way2

not sure of the answer but the outlet I use to charge is connected to a switch. Twice over the weekend my wife hit the switch off then immediately back on with the Solo charging and both times it did the beeping thing. I've since moved it as I was unaware this was common and thought it was broken.

BTW welcome to FC Tim....I'm from Boston as well!:rockon:

way2,

Wolf46

Vapor War Team Cap
Amazon dispatched my solo today:rockon:
Delivery Estimate: Monday 18 Mar 2013 by 9:00 pm:bang:
Me right now with my EQ and some good street pot:ko:
you reading my post:|:hmm::mental:

Wolf46,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Couple weeks back I posted about the wacky beeping/lights flashing charging issues I (and others) occasionally have with the M1A.

I am aware of the "reset" instructions and have made sure my charger is working (red light on when plugged in).

This weekend I stumbled upon either a coincidence or the actual trigger to the problem.

Usually I leave the charger plugged into a wall outlet and attach the Solo when I want to recharge after every use. If I keep recharging in this order, all is fine.

Occasionally, I move things around or am going portable, and when I set up to recharge I plug the Solo into the charger first and THEN put the plug in the outlet.

Almost exclusively, my unit only seems to go out of whack when I plug into a wall outlet as the FINAL step.

And when I need to get the Solo to "reset" by holding down both buttons, it only goes back to "normal" when I plug into a wall outlet as the FINAL step.

To keep it running OK, I can then go back to the "plug into wall outlet FIRST" method (until I forget and have to reset all over again).

I am not an electronics whiz. Is this possible? Can the order you power up the charger be a factor?

Comments?

Holy crap dude I think you just helped me figure out something that's been having me pull my hair out the whole time I've been working on my new battery packs for the Solo.

This IS totally possible, in fact it's not only totally possible but now that I think about it; it actually makes sense that it happens when you plug in the devices this way.

I discovered a while back that the Solo has a very particular and sensitive protection system that is completely external to the usual power protections that are supposed to exist on electronics like battery protection cells and power supply protections. This is good because it means nothing is going to break in it if you plug in the wrong charger type or if your charger blows up it shouldn't (shouldn't - dosen't mean it won't) take it out. I've also noticed you can totally destroy the protection circuit by accidentally connecting reversed voltage; but whatever, that was my fault.

Anyways, what I'm getting at here is that the Solo independently checks the voltage of the current coming into it to make sure it wants to subject the rest of the unit to that power. Now, the chargers that we have a set voltage and current that they are supposed to output, but they take a couple of microseconds to actually ramp up to a point where it can supply the rated voltage persistently.

Since your plugging in the charger, with a load already connected to it, that load is going to pull power from the charger regardless of whether it ramped up all the way or not. And when the solo polls that voltage, it isn't what it is expecting and drops the line, and flashes at you (I assume it's three yellow lights right? That seems to be the undervolt debug indicator)

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Depends on how you do it. You could probably get away with four good ones but I like to let it sit and cook all the way up and then take it all in one big thick shot.

way2

I'm getting 6-8 good hits from roughly 3/4 full stems. I think it will really depend on quality.

way2,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
On my last previous post I stated about leaving my charger plugged into the wall constantly and just pluggin in my Solo to charge..... I've done this with my e-cig stuff as well, and have NEVER had any issues many complained about with their ecigs nor the Solo.

Electronics are a finicky game aint they ;)

smokum,

keepsake

Soul Searchin`
I always leave the charger plugged into the wall whether the Solo is actually charging or not. I notice the red light is always on when it's plugged in... aren't I running the risk of burning out that little red light?

I always get too lazy to unplug from the wall, It's inconvenient.

keepsake,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Not really, most of the stress that optoelectronic undergo comes when it's being turned on and off. That led should a lot longer than you or I will.

CentiZen,
Reactions: Red Indy
Top Bottom