Arizer Solo

OF

got mine from ebay. It really is not that inaccessible as one might think.

Swapping batteries is super easy too. can be done in 2 minutes.

For sure there are many out there. Some I'd trust, some I wouldn't. For sure there are a lot more ways to build a poor quality pack (cheap cells, questionable protection circuits and so on. And do they include the over temperature safety that the factory thinks is important to have in the pack????
JpNbVuU.jpg

The over temperature safety is the white thing at the top between the cells (normally hidden). IMO Arizer is using the 'best' battery for the application (where else in the design to you see 'corners cut'?). They are competent Engineers and know what they're doing. They're in it to provide a first rate product they intend to support, not get some quick profit from suckers on EBay.

The OT safety costs money, and like a fuse isn't really needed most of the time........

We know that the factory battery can be depended on for long, solid service. Cheap batteries, built from cheap cells or by rip off artists that don't bother to match cells in the pack......or both.....means short battery life and early replacement. Almost any lame battery will be a big (even if temporary) improvement over a worn out one when first installed, that's not a useful measure of anything other than the original battery being trash.

What happens of some slimeball solders to the cells directly (rather than use the more expensive welded tabs)? Potentially you have a bomb, that's what happens. If the cell fails from that abuse the protection PCB and over temperature safety will not protect you or your Solo.

Don't discount the 'not balanced cells in the pack' thing. Unless this is 'done right' the stronger one will abuse the weaker one with every recharge, despite the protection circuit. The 'deep discharge protection' for that (the weaker) cell will limit the battery capacity, rather than sharing the load between the two cells. The strong one will be brought back to full charge, the weaker one cut off when that happens. Recharge after recharge it gets worse and worse until the pack dies with one perfectly healthy cell that hammered the other into an early grave.

Centizen, OTOH, has sought the best possible cells and components, regardless of price (a luxury Design Engineers don't enjoy usually). You get to decide if it's worth the extra money there? IMO no worries about quality with out CZ......he knows well what he's doing and has a well earned reputation worth protecting.

Your call, but there's serious danger in 'a great deal I found on EBay' here I think that should be considered.

OF

OF

wondering because my old battery (2012) looks like the new one and nothing like your picture, guess I need to get rid off the blue case to check?

This is what the factory pack looks like with it's clothes off:
Xm1CurQ.jpg

The protection board and thermal safety are under the fish paper cover. The first photo is my partially completed pack build, I used Kapton tape not fish paper in mine (with the proper heat shrink jacked of course).

You'd have to strip off the jacket (heat shrink) to see absent 'x-ray vision'. I was rebulding (or building from scratch) packs so that one is not complete yet (it needs the jacket. You can order the material easily enough (I got mine from All Battery: http://www.all-battery.com/search.aspx?find=heat+shrink). They also sell the proper type cells (like are used in laptops......) with tabs welded on, protection boards and so on to build packs. You still need to match cells and build of course.

It's very tight in there, other schemes (like electrical tape wrap) won't work, you really need the official jacket (which you can buy by the foot).

But, take a step back. Do you honestly believe that 3500 rating? I'm not suggesting that less than honest folks tend to exaggerate such numbers in the hopes of duping guys, I'm saying they're lying flat out. How many legitimate 18650 cells do you know of that are honestly 3500 mAh. Ignoring for now the compromises (that means less capacity usually) needed for long life in a pack. If that were the case (reliable, long life cells for high performance packs) don't you think Tesla auto would be using them instead? Of course they would, but they know they have to provide long and trouble free service......they use derated cells for their cars......the very sort Arizer uses (as does Dell and the rest of them guys). If they even come close to that number they won't be able to do so for long.

I call BS here. Not uncommon as I said. For instance I just got a neat little flashlight that uses a 'oddball' 16340 Li-ion cell for it's battery. I have RCR123As and 18350s (one the wrong voltage, the other too fat) so I ordered some cheap ones for Amazon to try out (good thing too, the flashlight is too green for my liking):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AF1XB3C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pretty impressive, ICR chemistry (tougher than normal Li-ions, safer in deep discharge, but at the expense of capacity (they typically are about half normal Li-ions). Consider this is less than half the volume of an 18650 so the same deal in that size should be at least twice the capacity? Over 4000 mAh? It's actually more than that (if it was real) since internal volume goes up faster than the case, you can build one so small that it ends up 'all case' with no room left for chemicals. Well and good.......

So what did I get? When tested the six cells fell into two groups, 3 measured between 250 and 260 mAh (1/8 the claimed capacity) the other 3 all tested 550 to 560 mAh (not too bad a match, you'd like to be 'a couple percent' or better to build packs that last) but that's still just over 1/4 the claim printed on the units. This is not an accident, the lower capacity ones all weigh 3 grams or so less than their higher powered brothers. All are marked the same.

To the best of my knowledge there are no legitimate 18650s, suitable for packs, anywhere near that capacity. You don't find them at All Battery, right? Instead you get offerings like this:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tenergy-18650-tab-2600.html

IIRC that's where I bought the ones I used a while back.

This really is 'the state of the art' in appropriate cells. If 'better ones' were real, the free market would make that maker rich. Arizer would immediately upgrade, claim vastly increased run time and start thinking vacation in Europe this year?

Your call, but IMO this is one of those 'too good to be true' deals. Not real, even if you 'read it on the Internet'.

Oh, a couple more 'replacement pack' details. Normal 7.2 Volt packs won't work for us, they usually have the portection PCB on one end and so are too tall to fit in Solo (the board has to be on the side like in my photo). Secondly, for reasons best known to them, they reversed the normal polarity of the JST connector used (red is where black should be). This can be swapped around (the tabs release from the body) but plugging a random pack using the right polarity could be instantly fatal to Solo. Check the colors before pulgging things in?

The factory packs, or CZs, have all this covered of course. Guys trying to scam you from 8 time zones away not so much....... I'd suggest passing on bargains on EBay unless you know very well what you're doing. It's an area filled with scams and dangers, and compared to the useful life the few dollars saved seem like false economy to me.

Your call, of course. Please make it an informed one? The factory pack served long and well, right? That's 'money in the bank' IMO.

OF

benbenben

MY LOVELIES

RE: Running my Arizer joymachine from the wall..

I've had a look though the thread, and I'm just wondering if there's any recommendation for a wall plug/adapter suitable for running the solo off the wall socket (in the UK). At a push i'll order an official item if there is one, but I could do with a cheaper, and quicker solution (assuming postage from Canada will cost a fortune and take forever). I've got a PS2 adapter in the loft (attic) and I'm handy with a soldering iron etc, so not worried about connectors. But I'd rather not fry my solo :D. Is it likely to nuke it?. Alternatively what am I looking for?. Solid 9V@4amps?.

Thankyou my lovelies.

sickmanfraud

MY LOVELIES

RE: Running my Arizer joymachine from the wall..

I've had a look though the thread, and I'm just wondering if there's any recommendation for a wall plug/adapter suitable for running the solo off the wall socket (in the UK). At a push i'll order an official item if there is one, but I could do with a cheaper, and quicker solution (assuming postage from Canada will cost a fortune and take forever). I've got a PS2 adapter in the loft (attic) and I'm handy with a soldering iron etc, so not worried about connectors. But I'd rather not fry my solo :D. Is it likely to nuke it?. Alternatively what am I looking for?. Solid 9V@4amps?.

Thankyou my lovelies.

depending on the age of the Solo it may work while plugged in already. It is not the best for your battery.

If using a vaporizer with a cord does not bother you you should check out an Arizer Extreme Q. Depending on where you buy it may be cheaper than the Solo.

Check and compare prices before you buy. It may be financially worthwhile to buy from Randy at PIU even with the shipping. vapefiend, in general has lower prices than our European sponsor so check out your options.

Last edited:

OF

I've got a PS2 adapter in the loft (attic) and I'm handy with a soldering iron etc, so not worried about connectors. But I'd rather not fry my solo :D. Is it likely to nuke it?. Alternatively what am I looking for?. Solid 9V@4amps?.

I'll assume, since you're using it plugged in (with the factory charger?) it's a new (say less than two years old). You can easily test by running on battery then plugging in the charger while doing so. If it soldiers on (as I expect) it's a new 'use while charging' unit. If it immediately reverts to charging instead of heating it's the old style......lucky you!

Stay under 15 VDC (of the correct polarity) and you won't hurt Solo. Nine is not enough. Cut the end off the PS2 cord and also any 12VDC 'wall wort' you can find that fits your mains that's more than about 850 mA (one Amp or higher rated) and use your soldering skills to mate the old cable/connector to the new supply.

You can also insert a connector (I used these guys):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AGUI8K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CMP434/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are quite commonly used in both the security TV and LED lighting industries for 12VDC. Those versions are nice since they don't need soldering (only a small screwdriver). The male goes on the supply side (female on the adapter cable end). I cut the cord on my first factory charger and inserted a pair of these guys so I could test with different '12 Volt sources'. You might consider doing the same?

This also allows you to use products like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ME3ZH7C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which looks like this inside:
uH4SgnD.jpg

This will let you cut the link to the mains so you can recharge many times 'in the field' or run happily many hours of 'use while charging', which you should not really be doing as we've discussed here many times (harder on the battery than necessary, adding extra (and unnecessary) abuse). My advice remains, charge it or use it.....just not at the same time. Heat on batteries as a practice.

No big deal, you want twelve Volts, center positive, at an Amp or more and it's not important really where that comes from. For the price of a plug to fit your car (and a male connector on it's output) you can also have a car charger this way. Works on your yacht, too.

Good luck.

OF

Last edited:

Vapor Trails

Hello everyone! I'm new to this thread. Do you all feel that this unit conserves, and is it hard to take a draw/pull/hit?

I'm getting a Plenty as my home Dry vape (also have an EVO), but selling my Volcano because of seemingly low vapor density. I just read a full out study between some vaporizers, and the Solo, Plenty, and Volcano were included. The Solo extracted more medication than either the Plenty or the Volcano. The Solo actually axtracted more than all of the vaporizers tested. I'll post a small quote from the data, below, but for now I simply would love to know if you feel you are conserving and able to get more easily medicated off of this device than others.

"The largest difference was seen for THC vaporized from THC-type cannabis with 54.6% and 82.7% for the DaVinci Vaporizer® and the Arizer Solo®, respectively. Here, the yield differed by 50% between the device with the lowest and that with the highest vaporizing efficiency. Lowest recoveries between 48.5–58.5% for cannabinoids from cannabis were obtained with the DaVinci Vaporizer® and the Volcano Medic®, whereas the Plenty Vaporizer® released 56.1–66.8% of total cannabinoids into the vapor. Best recoveries were obtained for the Arizer Solo® with 70.0–82.7%. The better the recovery the less drug (cannabis or cannabinoids) is needed to deliver a defined therapeutic dose to a patient. "

lookhigh

FC member
Yes we did see that test data and as a solo owner would agree with the findings.
Real world is not data on a sheet though, every vape feels different?
The draw is not too restricted but not free on the current version.
I have never tried a plenty (gone of plastic) so i cannot compare.

And welcome to the Solo thread...... lots to read.....

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@Vapor Trails - The Solo is extremely conservative with your product and I completely agree with the extraction data you presented. IMO the Solo is at the top of the 'efficient product use' category for all the vapes I've experienced.

The draw on the Solo feels restrictive to some but IMO it depends on the stem used, how clean the stem is and whether it 'jiggles' (I prefer the stems I can 'jiggle' over the ones that fit tightly). Since you have an EVO....I find the Solo to be more restrictive than the EVO by about 20%. You used the term 'hard to draw' and I have found some stems are hard to draw from if they are the ones that fit tight (no jiggle room) BUT even those can be managed via a technique where you slightly lift the stem in the oven so its not in direct contact with the bottom of the oven. This allows airflow from the entire bottom of the stem.

Edit: Forgot to mention...I've been using the Solo for years now and knowing what I know now...If the draw restriction had stopped me from buying the Solo it would have been a shame.

Last edited:

OF

Edit: Forgot to mention...I've been using the Solo for years now and knowing what I know now...If the draw restriction had stopped me from buying the Solo it would have been a shame.

Amen! I think it's a bummer that guys 'read it on the web' and decide since it's too restricted for some random stranger not even using his real name it's to be avoided. A real pity they 'miss the boat', but also a crime of shorts they get scared off by opinions of others.

What is 'too restricted' to one guy (and IMO it's not if it works at all, what he meant to say 'it's more restricted than what I want'?) is not so to the next? Like taking other folk's opinion based advice on women (or men I assume.....) as Gospel, the only opinion that matters in the end is the owner's.

How many guys know for sure 'Solo is OK, but it's too restricted really' and yet have never tried or even see one? This here net is full of experts in everything, just ask. Al Gore must be laughing himself silly over this in his mansion with a Carbon Footprint bigger than many villages.

Buying decisions should be informed ones, but I advise caution in accepting opinion based 'facts'. As ever, 'your call' of course.

It's like Dick Martin said about having computers select single women to date (now so very common, but new 'in the day'), "I'd rather mix the Martinis and screen 'em myself".

OF

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I don't like a vaporizer with too restricted draw. The older model Solo from 2011 had too restricted of a draw for my liking so I ended up buying mouthpieces (Planetvape PVHES) with a wider air flow and that solved my problems. When they came out with the 2013/2014 model that solved the restrictive feel to the Solo.

I'm not sure if you are getting your info regarding the older model Solo? You would be missing out if you didn't at least get to try a Solo before making up your mind that it's too restrictive. You can make a Solo too restrictive if you pack your load too tight. When a load that's pack to achieve decent air flow you wouldn't have any problems.

It will save you on your cannabis budget compared to some vaporizers out there. It will deliver great taste plus very easy to maintain and clean. With the price for one around $150. It's cheaper than other vaporizers that are inferior to the Solo IMO.

I have several portables and the Solo and the Arizer Air are my favorites. They are both made with good materials and folks that know what they are doing. The Arizer company is located in Canada. These are not made in China. The Solo will be running when your other vaporizers have been thrown out.

The user can actually change the Solo battery themselves. There is a video out there that makes it look easy to even someone like me. A new battery is around $45.

It's your choice to make, you might want to read through some of the Solo thread. A lot of useful info for the well schooled cannabis vapor user or the novice.

Edit
That's right @lookhigh the taste of your vapor is awesome. I've had vaporizers that I have tried out after I had bought them, I only used them a couple times because the taste wasn't as good as my Solo. Sometimes buying the right vaporizer is a hard choice. A lot of inferior products out there in vaporland.

I have also a few desk units the EVO and 2 Enanos. The draw style for me with the Solo seems similar to my Enano.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
There's a couple that taste better. More expensive though. I think the conduction and convection hybrid is a nice mix that makes it taste good. I'm content with how long the taste keeps until it's actually more popcorny than not. If I broke mine I would replace it with another Solo, not gonna lie.

uhranium

Soo, my solo flew out of the pocket while biking again and now I can't charge it anymore. Gonna swap the batteries to find out if it might work with the old one.

VapeHeadz

Hello everyone! I'm new to this thread. Do you all feel that this unit conserves, and is it hard to take a draw/pull/hit?

I'm getting a Plenty as my home Dry vape (also have an EVO), but selling my Volcano because of seemingly low vapor density. I just read a full out study between some vaporizers, and the Solo, Plenty, and Volcano were included. The Solo extracted more medication than either the Plenty or the Volcano. The Solo actually axtracted more than all of the vaporizers tested. I'll post a small quote from the data, below, but for now I simply would love to know if you feel you are conserving and able to get more easily medicated off of this device than others.

"The largest difference was seen for THC vaporized from THC-type cannabis with 54.6% and 82.7% for the DaVinci Vaporizer® and the Arizer Solo®, respectively. Here, the yield differed by 50% between the device with the lowest and that with the highest vaporizing efficiency. Lowest recoveries between 48.5–58.5% for cannabinoids from cannabis were obtained with the DaVinci Vaporizer® and the Volcano Medic®, whereas the Plenty Vaporizer® released 56.1–66.8% of total cannabinoids into the vapor. Best recoveries were obtained for the Arizer Solo® with 70.0–82.7%. The better the recovery the less drug (cannabis or cannabinoids) is needed to deliver a defined therapeutic dose to a patient. "

Here's the link to the study/article for anyone else who wonts to read it. Check the graphs too.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4718604/

Yes it conserves and it is sort of harder to draw/pull when compared to a unit that has fan forced air but I am so used to it this way (solo) that it just feels natural and effortless to me.

And yes it gets me medicated with ease, wherever I am. I now take 2 solo units with me when i go away so I can swap between them and have one charging as I use the other etc. And in case of some accident that might mean one dies.

I've always found my solo's to be very effective. I've only ever used one other vape tho and that is an arizer extreme q.

I still have my Extreme Q but I go for my solo every time and I take it places with me with ease. I just dont feel the need or wont to use my EQ anymore. The solo is my fave.

I love it.

uhranium

It bugs me what might be wrong with the solo.

It fell out of the pocket with a full battery. I used the battery for some hours until it went empty, then when I wanted to charge it, the green light doesn't flash. But hey, I still could use the vape from full to empty battery, so it seems like the port where the cable is put in or the surrounding area must have been damaged.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Well my solo has been dead since Thursday now. Iv contacted the seller, twice now, and am still waiting to hear back from them.... not the speediest service from nemastavapes.....

I miss my solo so much, didn't realise how much I loved it till it's gone....

I normally use an eq and a solo/bubbler, to compliment eachother, but now I'm just using the eq, I still get super high, but feel like something is missing from it....

Unlike @VapeHeadz I much prefer the eq, I find it gets me so much higher....

I'd rather be stuck with just the eq, rather than just the solo and no eq....

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Well my solo has been dead since Thursday now. Iv contacted the seller, twice now, and am still waiting to hear back from them.... not the speediest service from nemastavapes.....

I miss my solo so much, didn't realise how much I loved it till it's gone....

I normally use an eq and a solo/bubbler, to compliment eachother, but now I'm just using the eq, I still get super high, but feel like something is missing from it....

Unlike @VapeHeadz I much prefer the eq, I find it gets me so much higher....

I'd rather be stuck with just the eq, rather than just the solo and no eq....
@kellya86 I hate portables and thier a waste of $ to me.
Having said that I do like the SOLO and use it when gardening.

I'm a cheap FUCKER for sure however no SOLO?
SDFjsXP.jpg

KvsHYFL.jpg

Read a NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC (HISTORY) or listen to music the SOLO is easy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom