Arizer Solo

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
A knife was my first thought and glad I didn't do it. I resisted because I figured I would never get it even. I did try a nail file but it did nothing. I will take it to the dog groomer on Tues and use her dremel whether she likes it or not:D.

Edit: I made the butter this morning and it is cooling in the fridge. I licked the knife and wow what a surprise I got. I just dumped the butter and water in a glass to gel and licked the drips off the side of the pan and again wow. I am not cleaning the pan cause there is plenty in there that will go to waste. I will the pan to cook something later.

The only issue I had so far doing this is I had to keep my stove on the lowest setting or the glass banged against the pot. The stem is not totally clean but that is fine by me. I left the screen in as well just to see what would happen and it came out a little cleaner but not much. This was the bent stem so it is harder to clean.

Dreamerr,
Reactions: Red Indy

ehakim

Well I've got a guess. This (bottom lights flashing together) has been discussed many times and has been traced in the past to charger problems. A few days back I discussed it in some detail and reported what I thought was causing it. I can't blame you for not following it, it was in geekspeak, but it was there.

Based on the test I later reported, I think this is a part of a series of 'light shows' having to do with the exact voltage being fed the Solo. If it's 9 Volts we expect it to run using a lot of current (about 2.5 Amps in fact). If it's 12 we expect to charge using less (.65 Amps it turns out). Unless Solo could sense and switch modes we would blow up chargers trying to make them PAs. My supply was 9.2 Volts (minorly over the 9 specified). It locked out with the 'bottom lights flash' because it was seen as too low to charge, but too high for PA. Dropping my supply down to the 8.5 Volts the PA actually says on it's nameplate fixed that. So I put it on a variable voltage supply and verified the action. That's the test I later reported.

So, what I think happened is as you unplugged you got a brief intermittent break in the connection where the PA output voltage jumped up just enough to trip the protect circuit (actually a software function I bet) and start the lights flashing. Turning the unit off fixed it for the obvious reason. This is, I'm sure, why the advice calls for powering up the PA after and shutting it down before plugging and unplugging. When it comes up and goes down with the load it doesn't tend to "overshoot" (the technical term for such a surge).

Do it 'backwards' and I can see it happening from time to time, but I bet it's hard to make happen on demand? I don't think there's any danger to the unit, and I bet it times out?

OF

Thanks OF as usual you have great answer for me :) much love for you taking time to write that explanation

ehakim,
Reactions: OF

OF

Thanks OF as usual you have great answer for me :) much love for you taking time to write that explanation

You're quite welcome, glad to help when I can.

Enjoy your Solo, it's shaping up to be a wonderful early spring day here......

OF

OF,
Reactions: ataxian

ehakim

You're quite welcome, glad to help when I can.

Enjoy your Solo, it's shaping up to be a wonderful early spring day here......

OF

I just got up to look out my window and it looks like fucking Antarctica :( looks like netflix + solo is the call for today ;)

GPR360

Hi. Just bought a used Solo off of CL for $100. It's an M1A.

First use underway right now.

I've been using a MFLB since 2010, and was pretty satisfied with it, but thought I'd take a look at what else is out there.

First impression is that it's a little bit slower and less controlled than the MFLB. When I loaded it up and turned it on, I went to take an espresso pot off the stove, and I when I got back to it a few minutes later, it was oozing a slow trickle of vapor from the spout.

The vapor comes out in much denser looking clouds than in the MFLB, but they taste a lot more neutral and less herbal to me. I don't get that minty taste that the first few hits off a fresh MFLB trench give off. On the other hand, the vapor on the Solo is a lot less smokey too. It dissipates into air a lot quicker once I exhale.

Also, I turned off after a few hits and checked the load. The bottom of it was dark, dark brown, like coffee grounds - a color I rarely get from an LB trench - but the top of the load was still green, so I poured it out, crumbled it a bit, and put it back in. This was a pretty messy procedure, but now I'm wondering if it was at all necessary?

The Solo is quite obviously more conspicuous than the MFLB. That still means something to me, even around the house. The vapor quality is noticeably different though.

I did notice a strange chemically-taste on the first draw though, although it went away by the third draw. It's used, so I'm assuming whatever factory chemicals came with it have long since burned off.

The first load I put in it filled the entire bowl. Is that how much people generally load? Is there an ideal amount to put in it, or can you use less if you're so inclined and still get good results?

Sorry if this post is a bit wordy. I'm at my peak right now, with a fresh cup of stovepot espresso and freshly broken in new vape!

GPR360,

ehakim

I did notice a strange chemically-taste on the first draw though, although it went away by the third draw. It's used, so I'm assuming whatever factory chemicals came with it have long since burned off.

With certain crops I noticed that too. don't quote me on this I think it might be any residual pesticides/ fertilizers on the pot not the unit itself, that's just my opinion, are you getting from a dispensary or off the black market? once I changed strains I didn't taste chemicals on my first draw, it happens to me a couple times a year and it makes me hate buying on the street

ehakim,

toros23

First impression is that it's a little bit slower and less controlled than the MFLB. When I loaded it up and turned it on, I went to take an espresso pot off the stove, and I when I got back to it a few minutes later, it was oozing a slow trickle of vapor from the spout.

The vapor comes out in much denser looking clouds than in the MFLB, but they taste a lot more neutral and less herbal to me. I don't get that minty taste that the first few hits off a fresh MFLB trench give off. On the other hand, the vapor on the Solo is a lot less smokey too. It dissipates into air a lot quicker once I exhale.

If you are into the flavor (who isn't!), next time try taking a hit much sooner. The terpenoids cook off at much lower temps, so you are going to miss out on all the flavor if you wait too long. Same would be true with any conduction vape.

GPR360

With certain crops I noticed that too. don't quote me on this I think it might be any residual pesticides/ fertilizers on the pot not the unit itself, that's just my opinion, are you getting from a dispensary or off the black market? once I changed strains I didn't taste chemicals on my first draw, it happens to me a couple times a year and it makes me hate buying on the street

I get my supply almost exclusively from SPARC SF, a pretty well known dispensary here. It was the same eighth of indoor sativa that I've been using for the past 2 months - I can nurse a gram for weeks in the MFLB.

Agreed. If you want flavour heat the Solo, then insert the stem and allow it to preheat for 30-40 seconds. First hit may be whispy, but it'll also be very tasty.

will do. Thanks for the tip.

Do people use any special tools for loading and unloading the Solo bowl? It seems a bit less forgiving than loading and unloading an MFLB.

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Three posts merged.

GPR360,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Do people use any special tools for loading and unloading the Solo bowl? It seems a bit less forgiving than loading and unloading an MFLB.
Grind and then inhale using the stem to load. Take it out while its still hot and blow to unload. thats the easiest way to unload from my experience. A screen helps if your not using one, also a paintbrush can be used if you have OCD

Mynameismud,

GPR360

Grind and then inhale using the stem to load. Take it out while its still hot and blow to unload. thats the easiest way to unload from my experience. A screen helps if your not using one, also a paintbrush can be used if you have OCD

Ha! I use a flux brush on my coffee grinder, and generally keep it real clean.

Seems like the Solo requires a bit more time and space to set up, use and then take down than the MFLB. Might just hang onto the MFLB for on the road use, although its starting to show its age, and I was thinking I could probably still get $50 for it easy. Have to wait on that decision.

Does anyone take the Solo to go by packing the stem in a protective sleeve, and the Solo itself in just a camera case or something like that? If so, what type of protective container do you use for the stem?

I might eventually need to put it in my gym bag, and I want something small and innocuous looking, so I don't think I'm into those hard cases I see people using for their whole Solo kit, with charger and everything. Right now, I'm thinking digital camera case with a sheet of bubble wrap for the stem, and a rubber band, and a small herb tube. And maybe a brush.

GPR360,

Bouldorado

I've taken the solo hiking several times. I just throw the it in the main compartment of my backpack and the glass stem goes in a smaller pocket. The bowl is pretty easy to clear- just blow through it when it's still hot.

Bouldorado,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Well I had my solo stem buttered bagel and I will say that is very nice.

@GPR, I don't think I thought anything was easier to load then the MFLB but saying that after practice the solo is really easy to load. Unloading is easiest with the MFLB but I can use my finger nail to get the stuff out if I didn't empty hot so not a big deal really. At home I just use the back of a tweezer or whatever else is handy.

I like a dome screen because it more evenly cooks the herb. For me I am going to go for the full ten minutes and feel I get just as medicated no matter how much is in the stem. If you don't mind the taste you can easily run a stem twice.

Welcome to the forum.

olivianewtonjohn

The way I do it is I leave a toothpick in my ABV jar which is a perscription pill container. Works great and fast, gently hit the stem back and forth in the pill container and then follow up with the toothpick (since I have a screen and alittle can get caught in there).

If the stem is hot then I dont hit it in the pill container since the container is hot. I just use the toothpick.

olivianewtonjohn,

Yoshi

Woah
I would like to add that I generally use paper clips to clear/stir a bowl and a golf tee to pack them, they're everywhere around my house. :tup:

Yoshi,

way2

I would like to add that I generally use paper clips to clear/stir a bowl and a golf tee to pack them, they're everywhere around my house. :tup:

I use golf tees too!! I figured I have a ton and they work great!

way2,

XGerpXDerpX

i heard the draw on these things is worse than trying to suck a milkshake through a straw, is attaching it to a water pipe with a gong make them better to draw on?

XGerpXDerpX,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Sorry XXX I think you heard wrong or from some that don't know what they're talking about.

The draw through a WP should be no different unless your WP is restrictive.

I don't know what people are talking about when they talk about breaking stems nor at difficulties loading/unloading/stirring them :shrug:

I'm no wallflower and handle my stems without issue both tapping on the Solo case to stir, and banging them out into an ashtray when finished (don't keep my ABV anymore). And, I can't count the times I've dropped them on the hardwood floor or table or workbench and NEVER have I broken or even chipped one (both stock AND PVHES).

I must be one lucky mofo or the rest of ya's that mention it must be cursed :suspicious:

smokum,

WakethBaketh

I looked around in this thread and searched this thread, but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I was thinking of picking up the power adapter for the Solo, but I was wondering if anybody knew any other cheaper alternatives that would do the job?

WakethBaketh,

Qbit

cannabanana
I'm wondering about the Solo:

How long does the battery last (say on a medium setting).

And how much herb would you load for good thick vapour without it becoming too restrictive?

Qbit,

XGerpXDerpX

i dont know how true it is and hopefully someone who knows more can chime in but i read somewhere that the closest fit was a ps2 plug with an adapter on the end, 1 out of 3 got it to work, 1 out of 3 gets a fried device...maybe not worth risking it

XGerpXDerpX,

hoptimum

I'm wondering about the Solo:

How long does the battery last (say on a medium setting).

And how much herb would you load for good thick vapour without it becoming too restrictive?

I think you can safely count on around 8 sessions of 12 minutes, maybe more. I generally use around 0.15 grams, ground fluffy and packed relatively loosely.

Top Bottom