Arizer Solo

Jebus Chris, the coating is just flaking off when I scrape gently at it with a 7th floor poker, while heating up to 7... Not reassuring. Ack.

charliedontsurf,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
large lungs said:
I was able to remove the left over coating in mine with several grades of steel wool.The metal now has a nice gun blue after some heating cycles.

So once again, is it really worth it to coat this ceramic when there is so much room for error in the manufacturing process? What's wrong with gun blue? Good old, flake free gun blue. I like that, its... practical.

aesthyrian,

dorkus_molorkus

charliedontsurf said:
Jebus Chris, the coating is just flaking off when I scrape gently at it with a 7th floor poker, while heating up to 7... Not reassuring. Ack.

hey CDS reminds me of a saying my late mum had when she caught me hanging on to my willy too much when I was a little bloke.

''Leave it alone, it will fall off when its ripe all by itself.'' :D

Got to say after all these years its still not ripe yet- LOL

dorkus_molorkus,
Reactions: tonuzzi

lwien

dorkus_molorkus said:
Got to say after all these years its still not ripe yet- LOL

And I'm here to tell ya, it never will be. :brow:

Just gotta keep it in shape. ;)

lwien,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I think the coating of the bowl isn't just for color. It's also non-sticky, which saves us some cleaning.

OhTheAgony,

vape4life

Banned for life
Might be true, but what could possible stick? it's glass against steel... i never had any plant material stay in the bowl or anything. I think it's design is to stay clean.

Hopefully my replacement ships today or at least hear from Arizer.

I have a bad feeling that this isn't just a "batch" of bad ones... and maybe it's a high temp dependent thing.

OhTheAgony said:
I think the coating of the bowl isn't just for color. It's also non-sticky, which saves us some cleaning.

vape4life,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I always assumed no plant material sticks to the bowl because of the coating, but I can't be sure of course.

As for your bad feeling, well, lets hope it's wrong. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

OhTheAgony,

Lefthook

VapoMiner
Hi

Been reading this forum for a while now trying to get all the info in order to make an educated choice of vape. I have been a joint toker for over ten years now and i and my lungs feel the need to vape. I just wanted to say thankyou to all on the forums for all your info and i have decided on the Solo as my first vape. Apologies this is my first posts, its just i wanted to research first rather then ask questions that have already been asked. I purchased the Solo a few days ago on ebay for $198 plus shipping and now im reading about the issue with the ceramic peeling and hoping i dont have this issue as i live in the UK.
This post is really just to say Hi but i do have one maybe silly question if one of you good people wouldnt mind helping me on. Do i inhale slower on the glass bat rather then toke like a joint. I tried vaping a good 5 years ago with a cheap vape and it put me off so i would like to do it right this time.

Thanks Again.

Lefthook,

vape4life

Banned for life
Welcome to FC!

I would say yes, slower but even with that being said I did some super hard power pulls with the solo after it was warmed up a bit and still got some pretty huge clouds. Once you receive your solo you'll experiment and figure out how to get the best clouds..might take a bit of practice.

Lefthook said:
Hi

Been reading this forum for a while now trying to get all the info in order to make an educated choice of vape. I have been a joint toker for over ten years now and i and my lungs feel the need to vape. I just wanted to say thankyou to all on the forums for all your info and i have decided on the Solo as my first vape. Apologies this is my first posts, its just i wanted to research first rather then ask questions that have already been asked. I purchased the Solo a few days ago on ebay for $198 plus shipping and now im reading about the issue with the ceramic peeling and hoping i dont have this issue as i live in the UK.
This post is really just to say Hi but i do have one maybe silly question if one of you good people wouldnt mind helping me on. Do i inhale slower on the glass bat rather then toke like a joint. I tried vaping a good 5 years ago with a cheap vape and it put me off so i would like to do it right this time.

Thanks Again.

vape4life,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Welcome Lefthook!

I guess you missed my post about the FC discount at Vaposhop?

When I smoke a joint I normally take the smoke in my mouth first and don't inhale until the joint leaves my lips. When vaping I directly inhale from the mouthpiece, so it's a totally different technique. This enables you to take a much longer draw and doesn't limit you to however much (or little) will fit in to your mouth. Draw speed isn't that important with the Solo, it pretty much works at every speed in my experience so I wouldn't worry about that to much if I were you. Just play around with it when you get and I'm confident you'll find your own personal preference soon enough.

OhTheAgony,

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
Edit: pulled the post as a bit on the nasty side and not wanting to agitate Arizer who it seems is working on the problem.Don't want to cause an obstacle for others

Da Ape.

Vaped Ape,

vape4life

Banned for life
This makes me think even more that it isn't just a certain "batch" that was affected. And what is the thank you? lol An insert to cover a flaked off bowl? Meh, i'd rather have one of the new ones they way it is supposed to be instead of a bandaid. This is pretty surprising to me with the r&d... perhaps they should invite some of us to be their beta testers!

I know it's only been a day, but I was told i would hear back within a day... some of you have had replacements shipped, and i'm still waiting to hear back from arizer....

How do you mean their warranty has taken a turn? And thanks Ape for the info!!

Vaped Ape said:
Steve @ Arizer is now offering an insert as a solution. Something they are working on and to be available soon to those early buyers (perhaps a thank you to all who have been doing their R&D for them) as well as in all the new Solo's. Curiously he did not ask in his e-mail what my address was so he could ship one.) Sounds like their warranty has taken a turn. I have sent him a return e-mail so we will see. Trying to stay pleasant with them.

Da Ape

vape4life,

Vaped Ape

OK not sure if it is a metal insert or what. They have also gone to another vendor for their coatings.

Vaped Ape,

darkrom

Great Scott!
So does that mean we have "old vendor" coatings? We might as well refer to ourselves as solo 1.0 vs 1.1 now lol. I don't want mine to fall apart next.

darkrom,

Vaped Ape

large lungs said:
Being polite and professional goes along way when dealing with customer service.

As difficult as it may be I am going to henceforth try to maintain and be civil here until we get a resolution for all the folks that bought early on and may need warranty. Alt least they are admitting there is an issue and working to fix the problem because it is a great unit when the fix comes.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

Vaped Ape

My guess is it probably is stainless because glass against glass would not be good probably and besides they could not control the thickness of a glass sleeve. The bare blue steel might pit over time with the moisture of the vape. Yes 1.1 version would probably be fitting.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

Vaped Ape

The bag that WatTyler describes back on page 45 looks very much like the bag that Great.Vape.com is selling. Stop by their site and ck out the accessories, though no pics yet on the chargers. Hopefully later in week. The AC adapter they have is the one that overrides the battery for plug in vaping at home I believe. They also have the car charger so about $100 USD in accessories. Hey it is all coming together guys.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
pakalolo said:
GreatVape now has Solo accessories available!

Wait, wait, how can this be? I'm sure I read here that Arizer and Rockwise were in cahoots to maintain a monopoly so they could gouge Solo owners with outrageous prices and shipping charges. Perhaps GreatVape hasn't been reading this thread...
:peace:
Praise the vapor Gods! That's splendid news. (It's only been just shy of 3 months - or a quarter of a year! (and a financial quarter is a pretty significant timespan in business)- since the product release and the accesory availability exclusive elsewhere)

But I've got to laugh :lol: in despair :( as GreatVape won't ship outside of the US! :|

I've already emailed Arizer and they directed me to either their own website (wtf ??? have they even looked at it recently? or am i missing something?) or Good Gets in the UK (nothing yet). I'm sure I'll be able to get full utility from my Solo eventually, before drawing my pension :D

But it looks like it could be going back to Canada for a holiday so I might not need them for a while. Though if the failure of this coating is a wider production issue I think I'd rather wait until they had the new units sorted before making a move- more chance of arguing for the v1.1 finished goods, rather than a fix, maybe. I didn't/don't think the issue is yet present on my unit, but there is a brown ring near the bottom that's probably baked on weed but could be wear of the coating. It's got me thinking now..... I'll check in the sunlight tomorrow with an iso qtip. The trouble is that I'm going to be watching and expecting for it to happen over the short term at least, and probably curiously picking at it more than I should.

I'm also disappointed as two old friends have bought Solo's after trying mine, so I kinda feel like I've endorsed it to them. This is totally new territory for me, vapes and my friends- in the past they just roll their eyes and thank me for trying to save their life, then spark up a joint. Never taken properly to any of my vapes. But this really had an impact and impressed committed smoking friends, apparently due to the portability combined with hit quality (or maybe just because the time was right for them). But these guys mightn't notice peeling in the bowl- they're not quite as 'anal' as us here when it comes to vapes, especially considering some of the scabby pipes they smoke with. They probably won't care! My brother is also due to buy one, but I'll now advise him to wait a wee while. Although, saying that, I doubt they would recall existing stocks of the product from retailers over something like this- for one, huge costs for marginal benefits; a limited (?) problem and many customers (like my friends) just won't really care or notice even if their unit is affeted. Furthermore, lots of other folk are such light users that it might never get to be an issue for them.

I was impressed, however, that Arizer appeared to respond to the initial issue over the weekend. And well done to members for keeping us posted on developments

@Lefthook - hi, welcome. Great price on your Solo. Did you make any arrangement with the seller about the declared customs value? If it's at that full sale value and it's caught by customs you'll be stung around an extra 30 (20%VAT, 8/13 handling fee- the fuckers). Sorry if you know already, and not meaning to worry you, but it can be a shitty, annoying surprise if you're not expecting it, as happened for me the first time I purchased anything half expensive online from outside the EU. Takes the edge of the new toy's arrival, so better to be forewarned IMO. Still a good price though, and brilliant if you manage to avoid that taxman.

WatTyler,

max

Out to lunch
WatTyler said:
they directed me to either their own website (wtf ??? have they even looked at it recently? or am i missing something?)
That is both funny and sad. There's no mention of the Solo itself, let alone accessories. The home page still says 'Introducing the all new Extreme Q'. Steve either doesn't get much business from the site, or doesn't like to pay for upgrades, or both. The first Arizer site, for the analog V-Tower, was a pic of the vape and a phone number. :ugh:

max,

Vaped Ape

charliedontsurf said:

@Charlie

Now that things have lighten up a bit I gotta ask. What is a 7th floor poker???
Not sure where you are but I am in central US and never heard the term.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

Lefthook

VapoMiner
Thanks for all your tips guys, vape4life and ohtheagony despite reading about the possible issues with flaking, i am still very excited to get my SOLO!!!!!!!

I purchased it off ebay for $185 plus $45 express shipping which is an amazing deal, i am aware about customs and that so i was expecting to pay somewhere around another 20, but all in all my Arizer cost 160 rather then the 200 they are over here in the UK but thanks for the warning Wattyler

Once again thanks to all for making me feel welcome and i will make sure i put up a mini review of my first vaping experiance. Still combusting for now though until i am a soloist.

Lefthook,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Charlie is referring to the pick/poker that comes with the SSV and DBV (which are made by 7th floor).

Here's a picture:

9177d1241900719-silver-surfer-ssv-review-ordering-wandpickmouthpieces.jpg

WatTyler:

Have you tried emailing Good-Gets_UK on ebay? He has a lot more items then he's listing, he's just a bit lazy in putting all his stuff online (I used to buy my SSV tubing from him, he also has custom wands etc.).

FLSKwat (from this forum, he's based in Paris) is also selling the Solo (or soon..?) and should have spares soon as well as Vaposhop from what I've heard. Not sure if either of them also planning on selling other Solo accessories.

Lefthook that's not a bad deal. Not sure how much that is in Euro's exactly, but for other European buyers: The Solo is a 177 euro's and a bit at Vaposhop with the FC discount (hit the link in the retailer-thread).

OhTheAgony,

Lefthook

VapoMiner
Wow 177 is a great deal, works out around the 160 mark plus free shipping, dam wish i know that 3 days ago, oh well we live and learn but thanks for the info any ways.:)

Lefthook,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
@OTG and Wat: Yes the unit is already on sale on the website, and yes we have spare stems available!

I will not post the link to the site as a forum member, but you can find us here:
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=2463 as the only recommended french retailer!
You should see a contest soon on FC!

PS: Mods, please feel free to delete if you consider this post inappropriate... I am just answering to OTG and will post as a retailer when talking about our business in the future!

I am in Spain for the moment, and I confirm my daily used solo has some of the flaking issues... and the insulation smell/taste; I remember when people were saying here on FC, while I did my first comments on these "questions": "you are too "precious" with your solo, it's totally secondary, nothing to worry about"...HAHA!
Happy to see Arizer is answering honestly and working this thing out!

FLskwat,
Top Bottom