Arizer Solo

hoptimum

What kind of grinder are you guys rocking? Think the one that comes with it from pufitup is decent? Do you guys usually make it pretty course?

I use either the mendo mulcher or the orange plastic grinder that comes with the volcano, which is surpringly efficient. I don't grind as fine for the solo as for the mflb. I look for more of a fluffy grind to expose maximum surface area to the warm air passing through. Results for me are consistently very good this way. Evenly toasted throughout without the need to stir during a session. The santa cruz crusher seems like a good grinder also.

hoptimum

^^ What?!...received my M1A on WED and doesn't seem to be plastic...when I unscrew the top and screw it back on...I hear that familiar sound of metal screwing against metal. maybe not aluminum, but surely seems like some sort of metal.

On another note, I thought I read that charge times were between 3-4 hours. Mine are generally 2 hours or less. That's with me running it down to Level one, sometimes to when it starts flashing. Seems shorter than expected, but I only seem to get a little over an hour of use...anything abnormal about this?

As i understand it, lithium ion batteries last longer if you do not entirely deplete them before recharging.

poonman

I use either the mendo mulcher or the orange plastic grinder that comes with the volcano, which is surpringly efficient. I don't grind as fine for the solo as for the mflb. I look for more of a fluffy grind to expose maximum surface area to the warm air passing through. Results for me are consistently very good this way. Evenly toasted throughout without the need to stir during a session. The santa cruz crusher seems like a good grinder also.

+1
for the orange plastic grinder .
in fact , I just chipped mine this morning dropping it .
It still works , but I guess it's time for a new one after 10 months usage .
I can pick one up for $ 10 at the LHS .

But , it's still down to personal preference in regards to the grind .

olivianewtonjohn

All this talk about lithium ion seems weird to me. I have ran my cell phone battery until it dies on many occasions and I'm sure alot of you guys have done the same and it's fine. And the cell battery gets cycled more. Regardless battery replacement seems to be very cheap

olivianewtonjohn,

hoptimum

I live in Mississauga, Ontario for ten months of the year and in Honokowai, Maui for the other two.

I am of the opinion that designers really do test variations before they make a design decision. If the Solo has a restricted draw, Arizer decided that was how it worked best. Fighting it is therefore futile.

Theres a reason the solo is designed with holes in the stem and no notches. Restricted air flow is intentional. Those people arent stupid.

hoptimum

All this talk about lithium ion seems weird to me. I have ran my cell phone battery until it dies on many occasions and I'm sure alot of you guys have done the same and it's fine. And the cell battery gets cycled more. Regardless battery replacement seems to be very cheap

Battery replacement for the solo doesnt seem cheap or easy to me. I think they charge $90 and you have to mail it to them at your own expense.

hoptimum

I'm looking at getting a solo today from PIU. I love my extreme q, but I do a lot of hiking and backcountry skiing so I need something that'll put up with that. I'm also a person who loves to use the whip at somewhat high temperatures. Is this thing going to survive my backpack, the cold weather, and still give me the milky hits I'm used to? Any accessories you guys recommend?

You might consider getting one of ed's wooden stems for hiking and skiing. The solo stems are relatively sturdy but they are still glass. And you will alsoget a less restricted air flow using ed's stems.

hoptimum,

olivianewtonjohn

Battery replacement for the solo doesnt seem cheap or easy to me. I think they charge $90 and you have to mail it to them at your own expense.
Well I'm sure the battery will last beyond the warranty at that point I wouldn't mind fixing it myself, think someone posted the replacement for $13

olivianewtonjohn,

2clicker

Observer
that would be me. i will update here as soon as i unbox it.

update! i unboxed it about 20 mins ago. my M1A is def aluminum and not plastic. love the Arizer packaging even tho its not pretty its still packed very well. this is my first Arizer product btw. so first thing i try to do is fit a stem into the solo. not happening. so per everyones suggestions i heated it up to 7 and let it run the 12 min session. then i worked with the stem and got it in. loving the build and feel of this vape. surprised im only now getting one, but better late than never eh? so after that i figured it would be best to top off the battery. it is charging now. then i started to fiddle with a screen (DBV screen) and clearly its too big. having said those things i have a couple questions.

1. how long of an initial "burn in" should i do with this solo?

2. how are you all doming your screens in the stem? convex or concave?

extremely excited to session this unit.

It will hit you like an A.Macinnis slap shot :)

that man is my hero. the 2 in my screen name is because of chopper. still helping our club to this day! one of the most humble dudes ive ever met. i could watch his highlights all day long.

2clicker,

poonman

update! i unboxed it about 20 mins ago. my M1A is def aluminum and not plastic. love the Arizer packaging even tho its not pretty its still packed very well. this is my first Arizer product btw. so first thing i try to do is fit a stem into the solo. not happening. so per everyones suggestions i heated it up to 7 and let it run the 12 min session. then i worked with the stem and got it in. loving the build and feel of this vape. surprised im only now getting one, but better late than never eh? so after that i figured it would be best to top off the battery. it is charging now. then i started to fiddle with a screen (DBV screen) and clearly its too big. having said those things i have a couple questions.

that man is my hero. the 2 in my screen name is because of chopper. still helping our club to this day! one of the most humble dudes ive ever met. i could watch his highlights all day long.

1. maybe two 12 minute sessions , it's to get rid of any electronic smell in the chamber .

2. concave , convex will help conserve herb tho .

Enjoy

poonman,
Reactions: 2clicker

hoptimum

A couple of 12 minute sessions on the 7 setting should burn off any unwelcome smells. For the screen I just use 1/2 inch stainless, the same size as the Iolite. Experiment and enjoy.

hoptimum,

SteezyJ

I'm looking at getting a solo today from PIU. I love my extreme q, but I do a lot of hiking and backcountry skiing so I need something that'll put up with that. I'm also a person who loves to use the whip at somewhat high temperatures. Is this thing going to survive my backpack, the cold weather, and still give me the milky hits I'm used to? Any accessories you guys recommend?
Get the Traveling case, and the GonG adapter if your gonna be using a watrer pipe with it

SteezyJ,

2clicker

Observer
Get the Traveling case, and the GonG adapter if your gonna be using a watrer pipe with it

wanted to throw this out there again... solo users dont have to get the GonG stem for use with WTs. you can use a simple rubber washer/grommet/oring that fits around the stock stem and it will seal to most female dstems.

as soon as this thing is fully charged im running it through glass with just such a method. ill post pics.

SteezyJ

The Case is apparently water proof and very durable. Mine should be arriving today, but it will withstand any jumping or bouncing around in your backpack and also wont get messed up in the snow. I'd definitely make that purchase, you can use the 15% discount on PIU and get it for about 36 bucks.

wanted to throw this out there again... solo users dont have to get the GonG stem for use with WTs. you can use a simple rubber washer/grommet/oring that fits around the stock stem and it will seal to most female dstems.

as soon as this thing is fully charged im running it through glass with just such a method. ill post pics.
Ahh yea I must have missed that while reading through the forum. I heard the GonG attatchment gives great airflow and for my preferences I'd prefer an all glass setup, but I'm curious to check out your technique.

Also, I just unpacked my M1A solo on Thursday, and I noticed that when for example I set the temp. to 3, it will heat to that setting quickly, but than as soon as I start puling it drops down to 2. I know that the air flow could potentially cool it down as it passes by, but does anyone else notice this slight fluctuation of temperatures? or does yours stay consistent at the temp you set it to?

Secondly, the M1A is definitely not plastic and is a metal, most likely aluminum.

mod note: please use manual quote tags to quote, instead of making back to back posts. 3 posts merged.

SteezyJ,

Bouldorado

Batteries do not like cold, so you'll definitely notice reduced performance when you're outside (longer heat-up time, decreased battery life). The solo will also add a decent bit of weight to your backpack; if that's a major issue, you're probably better off looking at smaller/lighter vapes.

Bouldorado,

2clicker

Observer
Ahh yea I must have missed that while reading through the forum. I heard the GonG attatchment gives great airflow and for my preferences I'd prefer an all glass setup, but I'm curious to check out your technique.

oh dont get me wrong. i would love to have the GonG stem, but just thought i would throw out the other options for future readers/users.

pics to come.

Red Indy

Low carbon PSYCHONAUT

Providing you are packing it the right way there shouldn't be any problem.

I found some old HP camera case with great sturdy padding and easy to attach to a belt or a strap on a pack, inside it has a small strap with Velcro tape that completely fits around the Solo so it cant get anywhere.
On the back side there is a compartment, also with padding that fits the glass stem neatly and keeps it safe and also has some space for a stash box or tube. To really be sure about safe transport of the glass stem I would recommend to use a separate tube like case, like the ones you use for a cigar.

So you might want to look for something like that.
Weight of the Solo with battery is some 200 grams.

I might have been wrong there, and I apologize for that, but the shine and the feel make it look plastic to me, specially compared to the matte finish of my previous one, the M107 which had a very metallic look and feel to it.!

Red Indy,

2clicker

Observer
well i thought i would be vaping by now by how fast the battery level went up when charging... but now its showing power up to the 7 mark, but the green light is still flashing...

do the level lights not truly show where the cell is during charging? do they light up faster than it actually charges?

2clicker,

SteezyJ

well i thought i would be vaping by now by how fast the battery level went up when charging... but now its showing power up to the 7 mark, but the green light is still flashing...

do the level lights not truly show where the cell is during charging? do they light up faster than it actually charges?
It seems to be that way, my device gets up the the 7 mark and than will continue on for a while longer until the green charge button becomes solid.

SteezyJ,

2clicker

Observer
copy that mr steez

so here is what i meant about using rubber something to seal solo stems to GonG joints. in this case i used some 7th floor tubing... worked perfectly.

photo3_zps78135ab6.jpg
photo2_zpse0b3294b.jpg

so i went ahead and pulled the plug on charging cuz i knew it was close. loaded a stem up... set it to 5 (why i do not know) and boom loads of vapor. then i ran it through my WT and i am so stoked at how this thing performs. wow. already considering getting another.

i have since found that i can start on 3 and get pretty decent clouds. then move to 4 to finish up. 5 seemed to be quite a bit... in fact im quite certain i tasted some slight combustion when set at 5.

this thing is great.

2clicker,

poonman

copy that mr steez

so here is what i meant about using rubber something to seal solo stems to GonG joints. in this case i used some 7th floor tubing... worked perfectly.

photo3_zps78135ab6.jpg
photo2_zpse0b3294b.jpg

so i went ahead and pulled the plug on charging cuz i knew it was close. loaded a stem up... set it to 5 (why i do not know) and boom loads of vapor. then i ran it through my WT and i am so stoked at how this thing performs. wow. already considering getting another.

i have since found that i can start on 3 and get pretty decent clouds. then move to 4 to finish up. 5 seemed to be quite a bit... in fact im quite certain i tasted some slight combustion when set at 5.

this thing is great.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Solo .
I've never heard of the Solo combusting the herbs .
It may get Dark brown or even blackish , but it won't combust .

You won't see grey ash in your stem .

2clicker

Observer
Glad to hear you're enjoying your Solo .
I've never heard of the Solo combusting the herbs .
It may get Dark brown or even blackish , but it won't combust .

You won't see grey ash in your stem .

indeed it was much darker than i expected to see, but i could taste "that taste". more experimentation coming.

2clicker,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Glad you are liking your solo 2clicker. I somehow fell off this thread. I hate when that happens then I have to read so many pages.

Top Bottom