Arizer Solo

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I find myself primarily using my Solo on a water tool. I have a Planet Vape turbo shorty gong and use the pre-domed screens upside down. A very small amount of flower so it's crazy efficient. I preheat to level 6 and get two or three insane clouds out of it and it's done. Flower and time efficient! One or two of those bowl packs and you're done. Love it!!

Unless I am out on the boat fishing... then it's a stem. But maybe I will bring my D-020 sometime!
i-zD97k2m-L.jpg

Aaarrrrhhh your solo is perilously close to that water, what if it falls.....

I'd definitely swap the can of drink to the outside cup holder....

OF

Or even one of these, gotta protect that Solo!

Edit. In fact, now that I think about it, why isn't Arizer producing logo koozies for both the Solo and the Air. We would all want them for protection and camoflage. It's a missed opportunity so far.

Why not take it further? Expand it to hold your stash, waterproof the pocket for the Solo and include a timer and enough lead to sink it in the lake. Then, when the Rangers try to paddle out to bust you, you slip it into the water quietly, deal with the heat, and return when the timer times out and drops to weight to retrieve your goods when they float to the surface. Maybe include a flashing light so you could find it easily in the dark?

No, wait, GPS with bluetooth uplink.......that's the ticket. Password protected, of curse.....

"Products for the Properly Paranoid".

OF

OF

Nice idea, but useless to me as I am nowhere near water, maybe I need a rocket in mine, then deploy's a balloon to keep it in the air while I deal with the heat, then parachute down....

I like it. Maybe a big old bungie cord for stealth launches? Rockets are kinda showy usually.

And, as long as we have power and GPS, why not just have it meet us back home again? No retrieval needed.

Naw, Raytheon would just sell them a drone system to track it back to your house and probably automatically file for a Court Order before dispatching the local cowboys.

Countermeasures. We need to include countermeasures........ And decoys. Lots of decoys.

OF

Regalizgirl

I packed the stem pretty good and it stayed in the stem until I was finished and started to smell a burnt smell. I want to say the first draw I did was short then the second one longer like 10 seconds. I did one more draw and then I could smell the burnt smell. I didn't tasted it though. The herb was all brown when I looked at it after I finished.

sickmanfraud

I packed the stem pretty good and it stayed in the stem until I was finished and started to smell a burnt smell. I want to say the first draw I did was short then the second one longer like 10 seconds. I did one more draw and then I could smell the burnt smell. I didn't tasted it though. The herb was all brown when I looked at it after I finished.

The reason for the burnt smell may just be the cannabis touching the oven floor.

Just tamp the cannabis down (I usually use my pinkie) so the level of the cannabis is below the lip of the stem.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
The reason for the burnt smell may just be the cannabis touching the oven floor.

Just tamp the cannabis down (I usually use my pinkie) so the level of the cannabis is below the lip of the stem.
Agreed. I bet this is why. I've noticed myself that particles and bits that fall down and touch the oven directly cook much quicker and much darker than material in the stem, and I'm pretty much 100% sure that's what caused the bad taste faster than normal for me. I tamped down better and for a long while put a second screen over the load to prevent that. Some people may not mind it, I definitely noticed the taste and it soured the stems/experience for me. Now I use my Solo mainly with water and have no need for the screen on top.

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Is there a reason weed touching a metal oven at 374F burns vs weed touching glass at 374F doesn't?

That would imply metal ovens cook the weed differently to glass, but I don't get a burnt smell / taste from @Ed's TnT stuff, there is definitely a difference in heat conduction, but it doesn't burn?

OF

Is there a reason weed touching a metal oven at 374F burns vs weed touching glass at 374F doesn't?

That would imply metal ovens cook the weed differently to glass, but I don't get a burnt smell / taste from @Ed's TnT stuff, there is definitely a difference in heat conduction, but it doesn't burn?

Two excellent points. Of course not. The only thing that changes is the rate the loose stuff gets exhausted by the increased heat transfer by improved conduction (herb to metal contact). If this was a convection vape we wouldn't see this, right?

As I see it part of the load, and a small part at that, simply gets cashed faster and gives off some 'popcorn taste'.....but nothing is burning as we normally define it. And, despite the taste, there's plenty of good vapor still going on in the normal manner. Bad time to base calls on taste alone?

The 'Ed's stems have LOTS of herb to hot metal contact' argument is, I think, a strong one?

Good discussion I think.

OF

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
@OF Personally I find a glass chamber produces better clouds. I'm unsure why, perhaps it's to do with heat retention / conduction and dissipation through radiation?

Though Ed's chamber holds far more herb than a standard GonG, I get more clouds with less herb via a GonG. Why is this? - Though I'm waiting for my WonG and going to toss in some flowers to see if it helps with vapour production.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to create a glass 'sheath' / 'sleeve' / 'caddy' (not sure on the correct word to use) that could be filled with herb and dropped into Ed's stem or maybe even come up with some twist and lock mechanism, that would firstly shrink the size of the herb chamber, but also provide that glass chamber cloudness, while enjoying the quality and flavour Ed's accessories bring.

I guess a bit like an Ascent glass spacer that would fit into the metal chamber that would hold the herb, and give GonG type whiteyness?

Regalizgirl

You guys keep saying popcorn smell but to me it doesn't smell like pop corn. It smells like burning herb. Anyways I packed the stem and the herbs didn't touch the oven as far as I know. Last night I put only half a stem and got the same thing once I did a few draws (3-4). Could drawing too fast cause the herb to "cook" fast ? That is the only thing I can think of. I was reading that some people say they feel a resistance when drawing with the solo .... I don't experience this at all feels the same as when I have used a glass pipe a few times.

Edit to say I forgot to add that I did the last vapings on level 2

TheWhisper

If you really think it's combusting, pour out the stem after a session onto a paper towel and mush the herb around. If there are ashes, then you'll see streak marks.

At times, I've run my Solo through several stems in a row at temp 7 and have never yet combusted in it. I think yours might need a check-up.

lookhigh

FC member
Deja vu with the herb touching the oven plate.
@OF and i just discuses this on the air thread.
No final verdict?

lookhigh,
Reactions: OF

OF

@OF Personally I find a glass chamber produces better clouds. I'm unsure why, perhaps it's to do with heat retention / conduction and dissipation through radiation?

Though Ed's chamber holds far more herb than a standard GonG, I get more clouds with less herb via a GonG. Why is this? - Though I'm waiting for my WonG and going to toss in some flowers to see if it helps with vapour production.

I agree with the overall observation, glass suits me better. It's shifted some because the SS conducts heat better than glass and extends up 'into the cold air' above the oven and therefore sinks heat out faster. I find I 'bump the heat up' to compensate for this, at least I think that's why.

This means, I think, that 'at idle' it can heat soak to a higher temperature?

I'm confident radiation isn't involved, radiation rests on heat flow from a (much) hotter place to a cooler one.

I like the idea of a liner, but need to think a bit on it.

Thanks.

You guys keep saying popcorn smell but to me it doesn't smell like pop corn. It smells like burning herb. Anyways I packed the stem and the herbs didn't touch the oven as far as I know. Last night I put only half a stem and got the same thing once I did a few draws (3-4). Could drawing too fast cause the herb to "cook" fast ?

NO! Popcorn taste, not smell? There is a mixture of stuff in the herb. Water, for instance, has to evaporate off long before (boils at 212F), then terpenes and other 'light stuff' (where most of the 'taste' is) followed by the cannabinoids we crave (again, heavy to light). This tends to happen as 'a batch', unlike blazing where herb is rapidly heated from 'raw' in a flame front. Fresh material always being present.

It's not realistic to expect a stem to 'remain fresh' (that is not degrade in taste) to some extent. Loading, grind, moisture (cure), step, technique and so on can modify that, but the rule stands.

If it goes in green and comes out uniformly brown the machine is doing all it can to extract what you gave it.

I suggest you 'go with it' for a bit. Experiment around, maybe change strains (that can give trouble sometimes), see what happens? From what you say the Solo is doing fine.....and so I think are you, really.

Regards,

Deja vu with the herb touching the oven plate.
@OF and i just discuses this on the air thread.
No final verdict?

Now that you mention it.......

Small world, this.

OF

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
You guys keep saying popcorn smell but to me it doesn't smell like pop corn. It smells like burning herb. Anyways I packed the stem and the herbs didn't touch the oven as far as I know. Last night I put only half a stem and got the same thing once I did a few draws (3-4). Could drawing too fast cause the herb to "cook" fast ? That is the only thing I can think of. I was reading that some people say they feel a resistance when drawing with the solo .... I don't experience this at all feels the same as when I have used a glass pipe a few times.

Edit to say I forgot to add that I did the last vapings on level 2

I've never had the Solo com-bust and I finish off every stem with a level 7 draw until not even a wisp of vapor is left. It's pretty common for the part of the load/stem that faces the oven to have a really dark brown tinge while the rest of the ABV under it is a lighter shade of dark brown.

About half the time I will heat soak a freshly filled stem at level 7 by letting the oven get comfortable at level 7 and taking a tiny, hamster positioned draw. Then I drop to level 4 or 5. I do this to heat soak the herb but also to get the herb facing the oven to form a kind of crust that holds the rest of the herb in place.

With all of the level 7 work I've described....never even came close to combustion. Any chance that your Solo is brand spanking new and didn't do any burn offs before starting to use it?

unsorted

In my unending quest for greater ease and ergonomics, I now have an OGB custom (oversize) carb adapter and up-angled whip adapter for my solo-ufo setup. I'm very pleased with both. For vaping at a desk or table it's perfect, at least for me. Took some pics:

hJeErKi.jpg

Q5YE9UQ.jpg

jyAJg2U.jpg

161aZN0.jpg

Top Bottom