Arizer Solo

happyvapeman

I am very happy with my experience but was just a little disappointed to see a small crack on my elbow stem .. it must have happened during the shipping i guess but what to say ..

Congrats on your new Solo!
If I could suggest contacting PV about your cracked stem...they`ve always been great with me regarding all issues...

Also got meshes and rings with the pack like i ordered some but i guess for the rings i am going to take a pass for now .. i myself would like to see if one really need to install the rings or not..

I also have O rings on hand (just in case I may need them) but so far I haven`t seen the need to install one.
I`d suggest trying the Solo for long enough to get to know it before putting one in there...there`s a really good chance you`ll be fine without it...
All the best!

salvationfreak

If I could suggest contacting PV about your cracked stem...they`ve always been great with me regarding all issues...
Already did and they dont leave any chance to impress their customers i guess .. reply came to me that they are sending me a new one.. I mean does this get any better then this?? :cool:
there`s a really good chance you`ll be fine without it..
Exactly. :)

OF

Already did and they dont leave any chance to impress their customers i guess .. reply came to me that they are sending me a new one.. I mean does this get any better then this?? :cool:

Well they could personally deliver, and load yer vape, close the curtains, fetch your slippers and stuff........

Yeah PV in Canada and PIU in the US are just great with customer service...take very good care of us here at FC...

Exactly so! I like 'throwing my business their way when I can'. I got back and forth. We're truly blessed with such vendors I think, it's a secret that should not be kept.........

Hopefully some day the EU Brothers and Sisters will have such resources.

OF

salvationfreak

Yeah PV in Canada and PIU in the US are just great with customer service...take very good care of us here at FC...
It was my first time to have made a purchase and all you guys made sure it was worth it .. I take proud that i never went with ebay and all .. My experience is simply awesome in one word .. couldn't have asked for more .

Planetvape rocks.. :rockon:

HomeFree

Yeah, both PV and PIU are good.

Randy seems to be a good guy over at PIU and I would rather pay a little extra to order from PIU than a fly by night ebay seller who might disappear (or sell a counterfeit). The piece of mind is totally worth $20-25. Every time I vape with someone who hasn't vaped before and they catch on right away I give them a card from Randy/PUI, but I am now out.

I might email him to see if he would snail mail me a couple dozen cards. I went through the 6 or 8 or however many he sent me pretty quick, making sure to only give them to folks who I think may place an order, but having that card might twist their arm.

Good dude, IMO. Wish he would stock a little bit more glass, like those hard to locate GonG's.

Anyways, about the Solo, I know how to charge it up for maximum charge cycles (though redundancy is good), but I wasn't sure if running while charging was still considered to be a no-no, or if it was just a couple of isolated incidents that turned out to be unrelated. I guess I could always just use it every once in a while, but I seem to remember a few units dying and use while charge was the main suspect at that point in time.

I guess it is possible I got an older unit as well, I have not tried that function out yet - I got mine maybe a week or two after the new models started shipping out. Eventually I want to hand mine down to a friend or someone on a low income so I want to make sure that it has some years left on it. I could have sworn OF wrote to discharge the battery good, but definitely not full discharge. I usually toss mine on their at 2 lights as well, but only because one time when I started a session on 2 lights, all of a sudden it stopped heating, which can't be good.

One of my buddies caught the bug real good and now comes over every other day or so to vape and we will often do 2-3 back to back sessions in the solo, so my battery runs out a lot more quickly now and there have been times when it was too low before bed to vape. He's gonna get himself one for father's day so that should help. He was trying to get me to sell mine to him for $80, haha!!! I've only gone through 70 charging cycles tops. So if OF is right, I should have around 1000 more cycles left.

One of the holes in my oven is kinda plugged up. Is there any harm in using a safety pin or something and kind of poke at it to get it out? Or maybe compressed air, but Im not too keen on spraying forced air INTO my solo.

OF

Anyways, about the Solo, I know how to charge it up for maximum charge cycles (though redundancy is good), but I wasn't sure if running while charging was still considered to be a no-no, or if it was just a couple of isolated incidents that turned out to be unrelated.

One of the holes in my oven is kinda plugged up. Is there any harm in using a safety pin or something and kind of poke at it to get it out? Or maybe compressed air, but Im not too keen on spraying forced air INTO my solo.

Complex question. Well simple question, complex answer? Running it while charging in itself is not a bad thing but that quickly leads to 'leaving it plugged in' so it's constantly at or very near full charge (say 8.4 Volts?) which is very bad. Simply storing at that (full) charge will kill the battery early and is to be avoided.

Makers like to push the limit on charging because that gives longer run times which means more sales. But it wears the battery down much faster. If you stop at 90% charge (say one session) you get twice as many recharges out of the battery before it's toast. Twice. Drop another 10% and it doubles again. Good reading on the topic here
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Note the stuff around table 4. Notice you also get a boost by not discharging too much. Early Solos used to discharge further, the 'meter' is now recalibrated a bit to correct that, IIRC the bottom LED goes out at about 30% DOD. So, for maximum battery life I think you should try to catch it and manually stop charging when the top (7) LED is lit but before the charge LED stops flashing. Then run it down before recharging, but never 'off the bottom'.

To automate this charge cutoff I made a 'gadget' to monitor the current and terminate. Several of the usual suspects have prototypes, they look like this more or less:
jy0w0hN.jpg

The cable plugs into Mister Solo, the charger in upper left. When the button lower right is pushed (it pokes through the cover) the transistor upper right turns on until the current drops to the level set by the screw on the blue part between them (typically 10% or so from peak). This also cuts about half an hour off each recharge (since the last part is very slow). The same basic thing I also use to charge Ascent, ESV, pen vapes, Air, and so on (8 Volts for Ascent, five for the rest).

So, as you see, you can easily get too carried away with this stuff.

It's OK to poke stuff down if you need to, but it can get trapped. If you look through the gap at the top of the cup, between it and the seal, you see a plastic wall? Debris gets pushed into that gap between the wall and the cup. It can escape, but hitting it tends to pull it back down. I try to avoid it by careful loading (the herb will fuse together well enough that bits don't flake off much) and picking it out (up) with a needle if I can, otherwise I use a wooden toothpick to poke it down.........

I'm glad you got a Solo, it's an easy vape to like for sure.

OF

salvationfreak

Complex question. Well simple question, complex answer? Running it while charging in itself is not a bad thing but that quickly leads to 'leaving it plugged in' so it's constantly at or very near full charge (say 8.4 Volts?) which is very bad. Simply storing at that (full) charge will kill the battery early and is to be avoided.

Makers like to push the limit on charging because that gives longer run times which means more sales. But it wears the battery down much faster. If you stop at 90% charge (say one session) you get twice as many recharges out of the battery before it's toast. Twice. Drop another 10% and it doubles again. Good reading on the topic here
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Note the stuff around table 4. Notice you also get a boost by not discharging too much. Early Solos used to discharge further, the 'meter' is now recalibrated a bit to correct that, IIRC the bottom LED goes out at about 30% DOD. So, for maximum battery life I think you should try to catch it and manually stop charging when the top (7) LED is lit but before the charge LED stops flashing. Then run it down before recharging, but never 'off the bottom'.

To automate this charge cutoff I made a 'gadget' to monitor the current and terminate. Several of the usual suspects have prototypes, they look like this more or less:
jy0w0hN.jpg

The cable plugs into Mister Solo, the charger in upper left. When the button lower right is pushed (it pokes through the cover) the transistor upper right turns on until the current drops to the level set by the screw on the blue part between them (typically 10% or so from peak). This also cuts about half an hour off each recharge (since the last part is very slow). The same basic thing I also use to charge Ascent, ESV, pen vapes, Air, and so on (8 Volts for Ascent, five for the rest).

So, as you see, you can easily get too carried away with this stuff.

It's OK to poke stuff down if you need to, but it can get trapped. If you look through the gap at the top of the cup, between it and the seal, you see a plastic wall? Debris gets pushed into that gap between the wall and the cup. It can escape, but hitting it tends to pull it back down. I try to avoid it by careful loading (the herb will fuse together well enough that bits don't flake off much) and picking it out (up) with a needle if I can, otherwise I use a wooden toothpick to poke it down.........

I'm glad you got a Solo, it's an easy vape to like for sure.

OF
Great stuff.. thanks a lot..

It is learning one thing at a time for me i guess..

Now i know not to charge to the full and avoid discharging completely.

One more think if you can answer that .. how much time do you think the battery holds charge if not used regularly?

OF

One more think if you can answer that .. how much time do you think the battery holds charge if not used regularly?

That too depends on level of charge, but at say 70% and normal room temperatures you should still have usable power many months or even years out? The current used for the protection PCB in the battery pack and the modest power needed for the 'start circuit' (looking for the double button press) cut into it some. I just checked my backup Solo (old style). I charged it last fall and had it in the trunk of the car through the Christmas holiday and in a cardboard box since then (in a small camera case with stem, charger and stash). It lit 3 lights. I stashed it with 5 or 6 most likely.

OF

salvationfreak

That too depends on level of charge, but at say 70% and normal room temperatures you should still have usable power many months or even years out? The current used for the protection PCB in the battery pack and the modest power needed for the 'start circuit' (looking for the double button press) cut into it some. I just checked my backup Solo (old style). I charged it last fall and had it in the trunk of the car through the Christmas holiday and in a cardboard box since then (in a small camera case with stem, charger and stash). It lit 3 lights. I stashed it with 5 or 6 most likely.

OF
Boi ohh boi i was only concerned with in a scope of a week or two but you cleared all that for me .. i dont think i am ever goign to leave my solo for that long. :D

DreamHaze

Psychonaughty
Gotta get more stock stems!!!
I usually take a few hits of one strain and want another strain, but the bowl is still good... don't wanna dump that out

Anyone know where to get them cheap or is eBay the best option?

DreamHaze,

OF

Randy at @PuffItUp has stems for $9.99

He sure does, however he has one less now that he did this morning! I ordered it just before lunch, it's already in the mail (the PO accepted it)......shipped First Class for free! Ordered at 10:05 AM, accepted in the PO at 12:39 PM.....nor sure how service could be better than that?

Not sure if you guys have seen this before, apologies if you have but I've been loving this little hammer bubbler thing with my Solo! Using it with a 18mm GonG.

http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/newest-glass-water-bong-18-8mm-ground-joint/232304212.html

Thanks for the info. While it's a neat looking bubbler, and no doubt very effective, it's the sort of thing a real man wants to be very very careful being seen using. A somewhat 'suggestive' MP? Should be very popular in the Castro (a 'same sex oriented' district in San Francisco)..........

OF

altitudes

Thanks for the info. While it's a neat looking bubbler, and no doubt very effective, it's the sort of thing a real man wants to be very very careful being seen using. A somewhat 'suggestive' MP? Should be very popular in the Castro (a 'same sex oriented' district in San Francisco)..........

OF

Heh, OF with the delicate touch over here, :rofl:.

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
All this talk of new stems has me thinking. ..i got my solo used with no stems and purchased a straight one locally for $10 and have never tried the angled one...is it worth dropping another 10 for or does everyone prefer the straight one?

DreamHaze

Psychonaughty
All this talk of new stems has me thinking. ..i got my solo used with no stems and purchased a straight one locally for $10 and have never tried the angled one...is it worth dropping another 10 for or does everyone prefer the straight one?

If you have 10 to spend and want a bent stem, yeah! Buy it.
It feels more comfortable in my opinion.
I usually get so medicated and have my hands full for some reason, but i can always sit the solo on my desk with the bent stem, lean over and take a fat rip. You want have to be directly above it and hit it like that. Feels like a fancy drink hahaha
I HIGHly approve of it.

Gonna buy myself an Arizer Air stem actually. The one with the mouthpiece For on the go, and to pack even another stem bowl, on standby to be vaped.

Top Bottom