Arizer Solo

hogleg

Contacted arizer on Monday about ceramic chipping and received replacement saturday from canada to california Great service and great products. very little smell with the stainless I was hitting it straight away

hogleg,

dorkus_molorkus

@OTA- spot on dude.

@ samsquanch- I have a HA & a DBV. I personally find that the solo extracts more than either of them.
as an example, I cant get anything from my abv out of the DBV when i run it thru the HA. But run the same abv from the DBV thru the solo & I start pulling clouds.

regardless, when I am medicating normally, I cook at temp 7 on my solo & suck the bejeesus out of it & cook just this side of black.
But I still make some nice quality ISO hash from it. the taste is a bit iffy, but other than that, it still makes some nice hash. Use your iso soaked stem mix as well & you get this gooey, runny, black/brownish shit
that WILL fuck you up quickstix.

dorkus_molorkus,

THCMuscle

I agree with Dorkus, this thing is an extraction king. It nukes bud for all it's worth, and then a little more.

THCMuscle,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Samsquanch said:
Success !

PS2 Slim adapter works like a charm , just had to change the end . I haven't noticed any heat issues with the brick yet but I will keep a close watch on it . Seeing as this is a power supply I dont think I would leave it plugged into the solo unless it was in use . Let be real here. The portability of batteries is awesome , but there are times when we get into heavy sessions , glassworks , friends , experimentation , that stuff requires much more time than 12 minutes x7 plus wait time to charge or whatever it is .

Just a note , I used an adapter brick , not a wall wart .

http://cdn101.iofferphoto.com/img3/...rick-cord-cable-slimline-ps2-console-2add.jpg

My current set up - EQ elbow connected to the stem with a bit of hose , showerhead , piece of hose connecting another elbow with a stem

http://i42.tinypic.com/35a9oh3.jpg

That's the exact power supply I bought so be careful. Just an FYI I can leave my ac adapter I bought from Arizer plugged in all the time and it doesn't become a fire hazard like the PS2 one. But if a fire hazard is worth saving some $ then please be very observant of the brick. I don't want to annoy you with the dangers of those cheapo PS2 slim adapters but it's a very real danger and if I had not randomly moved mine and noticed it was extremely hot, then who knows what could have happened. :uhoh:

The $40 is the price of my peace of mind in this case.

aesthyrian,

pain101

vape4health said:
pain101 said:
ps. i found that the shortened bowl for my stem is a plus!!! i get far more evenly browned material, and i dont use more than i should. which is good!!!

http://i42.tinypic.com/kdjprd.jpg

NICE, when I pack a normal load it gets cooked really good to about half way through with out any stirring, I bet your short bowl cooks it all up. Thanks pain, I'll attempt to use a Dremel to cut mine.

So much fighting in this thread :peace: guys.

i used the diamond cutting blade that came with my kit. used a medium speed, and just kinda hacked away where it had chipped..
Sadly it has now busted again, so im back to using my other busted stem with the ultra short neck.... sigh..... will have to mail my friend ten bucks and a package to send back cuz its so damn impossible for me to order things online, and getting to a city is annoyingly difficult.

i think i will shorten it(the bowl) though, cuz i really do like it shorter. when the bowl is done, they come out in these nice little compact brown nugs. lol i shall have to take a pic soon

pain101,

pain101

i just use a cotton swab i snagged from a pill bottle to get all the vapor resin out of the stems. then vap that. the first hit is a little weird tasting, but then its pure gold and leaves you friiieeeed when the thing finally shuts off or stops hitting... hard to tell which will come first with the stem resin

pain101,

MrNorml

VapeNStone said:
darkrom said:
"Having said that, I still just prefer the quality and simplicity of the solo."

Simplicity and quality of the solo compared to the MFLB? You need to be joking right? The MFLB is one of the most simplistic vapes on the market. As for quality they have nearly no failures other than user error and even those will be replaced under warranty. My screen was broken by someone being careless and high and physically destroying it. Drop your solo down the stairs and see if it is covered. I just don't see how you can get more simplistic than a MFLB.
Actually I have fell down the stairs with my solo in my front pocket and its still working great today lol

I think anyone would agree that the wood box that is the MFLB is simple of construction and not much to break, especially if compared to something with electronic temperature controls, timers, internal battery, all in a plactic and metal container. And I think anyone would agree that as a general principle a lifetime warranty beats a 2-year warranty. That said, if those were the only things one looked for, the LB would be the clear winner. If it came with about 8 batteries. But the learning curve is something - if it is so simple why would anyone have to go through some long 'learning curve' to figure out how to properly use the thing. The LB is 'complex' in terms of learning proper use, and likely many (like me) will just quit using it and using something that works first time every time consistently.

As for customer service, I will assume MFLB has great customer service. But I am also positive from reading just this hundres of pages of notes that Arizer has great customer service, to the point where they were apparently sending out replacement units for unbroken, working units which experienced some flaking (cosmetic or otherwise).

My experience is that the LB takes too much time and energy to get used to. I was perhaps spoiled by my Iolite (no learning curve, good experience) to get over burned product, no vapor, going thru batteries like there is no tomorrow. None of that has a thing to do with simplicity of design or warranty issues. Simplity of use has something going for it. That is one big reason I suspect the Solo gets great reviews. Heck, even most of those who mention smell, solder, burning plastic, robot farts or whatever conceed that the Solo, of whatever model and design, does what is intended - it gets you high. I can't say the LB does the same thing consistently for me. Again, if I had the inclination or the LB was my only method I am sure I would get really proficient with it. But I couldn't hand it to a friend for him to use. Because the batteries would die. Or because he hadn't had the weeks of experience in how to use it or hold it properly when using or not using the straw/tip.

Clearly those who love the LB really love it. Those who love the Solo seem to really love it too. Heck, even those who say they don't like their Solo seem to like the results it gives. It seems that there are 2 camps and each is happy where they are, for no particular or exacting reason. So, I don't think I could knock Arizer because the launch box is simpler. They seem to be different products for different uses. If I were in the bathroom of a strip club I'd use the LB. If I were at a friend's I wouldn't. The LB is stealthy and has virtually no smell. Because you get one hit. Then later another hit. And continue. Until batteries run out. So 1 hit, leave bathroom and exhale is really nice. But that isn't the majority of my time. I don't need much 'stealth' and my Iolite I can spark up, put into a coke class, attach the straw and it is about as stealthy as one could ever get. Not sure if the Solo will go to this extreme. But my point is the LB seems to me to be for a particular situation, and for 'the 99' I can't see it being the method of choice over any regulated device.

For any reason you or I or anyone could give why the (make/model) is 'best' someone else will have a reason some other is better. It seems to me that none are perfect, but the trick is to find the one with the least negatives. And if the Solo's biggest negative is that Arizer seems to really support the thing, well ... And Arizer has the Q and its predecesors to show they know what they are doing.

Some poster here noted that everything was negative. I disagree. It is informative. It informed me in advance of issues I would possibly face. Reliability? I think I read 1 post about the Solo breaking. Heck, my Iolites dont' get this raved reviews on reliability (I have 2 broken ones, 1 working one). The LB apparently is reliable as well. Great. I'll have mine 10 years from now. Likely with not much more wear and tear than it has right now. It just isn't for me and I am guessing that many who buy one will soon just give up and move to something else. That doesn't mean it is not good - just not right for all people.

MrNorml,

guitarscreamngrowler

so when charging it only do like 4-5 12 min sessions then charge it. cause iv been running it all way down then charging dammit haha

guitarscreamngrowler,

THCMuscle

guitarscreamngrowler said:
so when charging it only do like 4-5 12 min sessions then charge it. cause iv been running it all way down then charging dammit haha

Consider the battery a tank of gas, keep topping it off whenever you can. The more the better.

THCMuscle,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
Just an update - I ran the Solo on the PS2 slim brick for most of the day experimenting , at least 20 cycles if not more . Zero heat issues whatsoever with the brick , didnt even get warm :cool:

Im not sure how others with heat issues wired the new connectors on but I do know it is some fine soldering with thick ass wire you have to do on that connector , it very easy to create a short , I took me three tries to get it right .

These damn eyes , Time for some new pop bottles !

:peace:

Samsquanch,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Do you use an original Sony power brick Sam?

We used a cheap one sold on ebay for under ten bucks, that may be the difference.

OhTheAgony,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
I used an original block from a crapped out PS2 slim I had already , screw gambling on ebay , never know what your gonna get .

If you dont have one kicking around go to a retailer where they sell used video games and systems (that was my next option if I couldn't find my old one) . Im not gonna name names but you know the kind of places Im talking about , they are all over the place . This brick isnt too old and is still pretty easy to find for under $10 , the only bitch like I said before is soldering the new connector on .

A note on using external power on the solo

after 12 mins rather than shutting completely off like in battery mode , the unit goes into idle state , you still have to reset your temp to continue where you left off, so I find it better to leave sound on and be reminded that way rather then by the sudden heat loss. This shut off feature needs some tweeking like ability to disable when hooked to external power , because the heat of the unit itself (Solo or power source) is not an issue when in constant use :2c:

Samsquanch,

steven22

THCMuscle said:
I totally side with you on all aspects of the LB being more portable, higher convienence, more durrable. But how in the world you can achieve more medicating with 3 LB batts than a fully charged Solo is beyond me. If the Solo is on a high setting you can nuke stem after stem after stem, totally much more herb than I could get out of 3 LB bats.

MattyGTwenty3 said:
I'm not sure how anyone could stretch 2-3 LB batteries as far as a full Solo charge either, seems like a bit of an exaggeration to me.
I get about 2 full trenches out of each 2700 battery using the LB's standard slow draw style vs. 14 stems with the same amount of material per single Solo charge... so I'd need 7 LB batteries to last as many sessions as a fully charged Solo. Good luck getting 14 trenches out of 2-3 batteries...

Makes me wonder how someone would be perfectly fine making 2-3 LB batts last all day but couldn't swing it with the Solo.
I guess if you're the type that takes one hit and then pockets the vape til later the LB heating style would be more battery efficient than letting the Solo heat all the way up for a single hit and then turning it off. But if that's your style than I'm not sure why the LB left you wanting to grab a Solo in the first place.

Also Steven (and anyone else with a stinky Solo), if you're still having any taste/smell issues from your unit after ISO wiping the cap undo the bottom 4 screws to take out the guts of your unit and do an ISO wipe on the interior of your shell, it should fix your problem.

well its not just the amount of vaporization in minutes with solo vs 3 lb batteries.

yes, I am the type to not finish an entire bowl in one sitting, unless I am at my home on my "smoking" desk ( I have a desk where all my paraphernalia sits, and I spend hours there being lit in that room )

with the solo, its pretty much you have to finish that bowl, you cant save some for later, unless you turn off the unit . (which I dont always remember to, so it runs the 12 minutes killing the battery).. and when I say, save some for later, I dont mean much later. Im talking about maybe 15 minutes later. but the herb in the bowl will get brown from sitting for 15minutes while on and not being used.

if you dont believe me, put a fresh bowl, set it at 5 or 6, dont draw on it, come back in 15 minutes, the herbs are brown. that is why they put the 12 minute timer on it. its design characteristic.

the heat has no where to go but up, cause the bottom is sealed off for the most part, eventually pressure will build up and air will rise and cook the herb without being drawn on.

with the Extreme, pressure doesnt build up cause it can escape down. my herbs dont get spent after 15min, maybe after hours and hours, its a little golden.

with the LB, I take a hit, I can save the rest for later, it doesnt continue vaping it when not in use.

steven22,

steven22

I had a silver ceramic solo 103 come in. no smell.

I do miss the black color though, silver is growing on me, but black looks more futuristic and wont look dated soon. purely opinions.

steven22,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
I understand what your saying steven22 . the only option with the solo with multiple mini sessions/hits , would be to remove the stem when you are not hitting to save your herb , but to try to compare the LB to the Solo as equals is not fair . They are 2 totally different animals . Your not gonna have a session with 3 of your friends and get the job done with a LB , you will with a Solo , trust me :brow: . The LB is truly for the individual operating the unit by himself (they should have called it solo) , not in a group . Perfect for small hits here and there but - it is not a performance tool , I cant stress this enough, which he solo definitely is . Dont let the name Solo fool you , this is a powerful heater , it might be maketed as a personal vaporizer but it has the ability to go much farther . Add ac power and she is no different than the cloud , except digital readout . As well for me personally , I like water set ups when Im at home , and I dont see a good hit happening hooking up a LB . The LB sound good for what your doing , tiny hits here and there , it is not even close as a session machine as the Solo is. It's like comparing a Lexus to a Neon .

Samsquanch,

THCMuscle

I'll be the first to say that the MFLB is my favorite vape, however there are plently of things that the Solo absolutely kicks its ass at doing. Different tools for different tasks.

THCMuscle,

dipp

Hi guys I was just about to buy a solo. Wondering if there were any deals on that I should consider before pulling the trigger.

dipp,

pain101

http://www.torontovaporizer.com often has good deals. especially if you are in toronto and can pick it up yourself, they knock 20 bucks off.

as to leaving the stem with material in it, if you read the little manual that came with the solo you would know this fact full well.

here is the pic of my shortened bowl used nugs. lol that is ground bud, but with the shortened bowl, they come out at the end in these little compact nuggets

as you can see, a slight difference in uniformity of browning front to back, but overall a pretty good browning i'd say
kuu4x.jpg

edit
upon lookin at the solo on torontovaporizer.com, i see they have changed their pickup promo
What is a Pick up PROMO?

Every week we hide Promotional Codes on the internet. Well we do our best to hide them but Google is very difficult to hide from......so go ahead and search TorontoVaporizer Pick up PROMO Code on Google!

With a bit of luck you will be able to get anywhere between 15$ to 40$ Discount!

Our deals change every week....so keep checking!

further edit, these guys are GREAT!!!!! super awesome service.
PLUS, the night i picked up my solo, i emailed and asked if they could charge it for me. they did!! i REALLY appreciated not having to wait for it to charge to use it.

pain101,

THCMuscle

I highly reccommend Puffitup.com. I got my solo for $202 shipped w/ a set of extreme screens and a sick space case grinder. They have phenomenal service, you can almost always catch Randy on the AIM widget their site. My order took longer than standard USPS Priority shipping and because of this Randy refunded me $18. Such a great company.

THCMuscle,

Calvin

Pcpvapors said:
Puffitup has a sale going 189$ shipped with code "arizersolo90"
That my friends is a good deal, just shows that they make a fat amount on each unit if they can afford to sell them at this price.

Calvin,

vape4health

I have a friend that thinks he can weld a solo stem to a ground glass joint so I started looking up Gong joint suppliers when I had the idea, why not just find a gg joint with the rigth O.D. to match the solo stem, then we only need to hold a screen in the non gg end maybe some notches or something. I don't know anything about welding glass but it all sounds easy in my head. I'll have to measure a stem then get to work finding one that fits.

I wonder if I can find a gg that's as thin as the solos glass, or if it even needs to be that thin of a walled tube.

vape4health,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I had some GonG Solo stems commissioned from a glassblower. He had a kiln accident and I've not heard from him since, so I don't know how they turned out (besides being broken). He made (or was making) both 14mm and 18mm stems. It seemed like a pretty simple project, but in the end it was foiled by bad luck or whatever.

I'm sure there are blowers out there that could easily fashion a GonG Solo stem, but I'm done trying to get them made myself. Lesson learned.

Keep us posted if you find a reputable blower that can fashion these.

:peace:

Stu,
Top Bottom