Arizer Solo

poonman

The problem is i did not recieve a reciept of any sort when i bought it. So i cant prove it really and they can only take my word for it as a customer. I dont know if its old or new model. The bottom reads M1B1.

I guess since you guys say the link of the charger on amazon is legit then am going to go ahead and order it!

I agree with others , to try and contact arizer .
It couldn't hurt , Arizer would have kept track of where
they send their units for retail via serial # .
This was their handling with my issue .
No mention of receipt . Good luck .

dpujQ6A.png

Quick question for you guys. I am in the process of replacing my GonG from planetvape because i seem to chip the sides away easily. The previous 2 I owned were the standard pvhe ones. I am wondering if the turbo one really makes a difference or not when paired with the f-bomb. Is it just increased airflow or increased effectiveness?

123vapethattree,

Simple Man

Simple Pleasures
Breaking in the open box Solo from PIU tonight. It looks to be brand new. Top looks like it's never been unscrewed. Oven is pristeen. No odor. Base has no chips. Not a scratch on the body. For 89 bucks.

Since it looked so new i did the overnight charge and now am finishing two burn ins.

Next up: Granddaddy Purple. I am so happy with this purchase.

Dark_Wolf

Registered Vaporist
Breaking in the open box Solo from PIU tonight. It looks to be brand new. Top looks like it's never been unscrewed. Oven is pristeen. No odor. Base has no chips. Not a scratch on the body. For 89 bucks.

Since it looked so new i did the overnight charge and now am finishing two burn ins.

Next up: Granddaddy Purple. I am so happy with this purchase.

That's a steal especially for the quality product you are getting!

Sounds like a great night!

OF

Breaking in the open box Solo from PIU tonight. It looks to be brand new. Top looks like it's never been unscrewed. Oven is pristeen. No odor. Base has no chips. Not a scratch on the body.

I got one like that from the last batch. The 'no weed smell at all' to me means it never got used. A 'brand new' old style unit. I also found the seal was 'virgin' as well. One has to wonder why it came back, but I don't know about you I sure am glad it did......and I got it.

I also got one before that that was pretty run out, battery worthless, cracked base. But a few washers, a little epoxy and a new battery and it's now my 'every day and test' unit. Still rolling along. Great values, no wonder they don't seem to last a single day when released.

Congrats, sounds like a great score to me.

OF

Canadianguy

I had another chip today,more then a chip!The corners on the solo are rounded well this time the back corner at the base, whole piece chipped.I know there is threads and posts on this!So I emailed arizer just to see what they say...this is it!

Hello Greg,

Thank you for your email.

Our repair technicians replace the screws on Solo unit without causing any chipping. If the bottom chipped it was likely strained or cracked from prior handling.

The chipping bottom will not affect the structure or performance of the unit in any way.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

I don't understand what strain I'm putting on this!By just resting it on a flat surface it strains?I baby this thing!!

My 2 cents!

I put electrical tape on the bottom of mine when they began chipping just around the corners. Haven't had any issues since and it doesn't seem to affect either of my solos.

123vapethattree,
Reactions: Maine420

Simple Man

Simple Pleasures
A 'brand new' old style unit. I also found the seal was 'virgin' as well. One has to wonder why it came back, but I don't know about you I sure am glad it did......and I got it.

OF
My new one is an M1C. I know the number doesn't indicate old or new but that is one of the numbers that was reused isn'tit? I didn't even think until @OF said that one of his open boxes was old style that mine might be. We used it tonight without checking to see if it was old style or new. My son took it out after. I'll have to test tomorrow whether it works while charging or not.

OF

I didn't even think until @OF said that one of his open boxes was old style that mine might be. I'll have to test tomorrow whether it works while charging or not.

Actually all 3 I've personally seen (one went to a friend) were the old style. As I think most (all?) of the others received by Members? New style works well for folks also of course......

OF

OF,

biohacker

Our repair technicians replace the screws on Solo unit without causing any chipping. If the bottom chipped it was likely strained or cracked from prior handling.

The chipping bottom will not affect the structure or performance of the unit in any way.

Sounds like they don't want to take responsibility for their crappy quality base plates. I agree i've babied mine and it's chipped/cracked as well. I really love the solo, but the quality of the base casing blows.

I would have respected Arizer if they acknowledged it a little more, instead of basically putting the blame on the customer. So basically, if you don't want it to chip, you have wrap it in bubble wrap?

Function over cosmetics forsure, but sometimes it sucks to have to explain to friends that "it just happens".

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Just chirping in, early this morning. If the base chips easily, The company could easily replace the composition of the base with a hardier composite. Materials Science 101?

Alternatively, a thin bumper guard for a few CND$ more could be included in the mix of what seems to be an otherwise extraordinary product.

Another possibility is to rubber coat the bumper in house. Or the owner simply put some rubber adhesive dots on the base.

From pics I have seen of base plate chips, they seem to occur around the screws, possibly stress cracks? Is it possible to minimize the stress by countersinking the screw holes a little more? Or torqued a bit less?

Will have to experiment when my drop (whoops!) drops in from Massdrop.

Last edited:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Just chirping in, early this morning. If the base chips easily, The company could easily replace the composition of the base with a hardier composite. Materials Science 101?

I'll "chip" in as well. Not as easy as it sounds. My bet is they buy this type of piece by the 10's of thousands. The chipping may have gone un-noticed until well into the production run(s). You can count on that they had much debate internally on how to proceed at the time. Maybe a ball breaker to stop production and re-order...? I'm sure they weighed in all the factors to determine it's an acceptable risk to let it be.?
Just my 2 cents on how it may have gone down.

Canadianguy

Alternatively, a thin bumper guard for a few CND$ more could be included in the mix of what seems to be an otherwise extraordinary product.

Another possibility is to rubber coat the bumper in house. Or the owner simply put some rubber adhesive dots on the base.

From pics I have seen of base plate chips, they seem to occur around the screws, possibly stress cracks? Is it possible to minimize the stress by countersinking the screw holes a little more? Or torqued a bit less?

Will have to experiment when my drop (whoops!) drops in from Massdrop.

Rubber adhesive dots is great idea to...i just might have some around,keep the vent holes clear to!

Canadianguy,

OF

(Quoting Arizer) If the bottom chipped it was likely strained or cracked from prior handling.

Interesting (and kind of expected). Look at those two statements. Aren't both true? Folks can say 'I was very careful with mine, never dropped it......' but that doesn't change the ideas that undue strain is involved (even it's part of routine use by real people) and more importantly it does not effect the performance.

The guarantee their product works, not looks pretty after use. Same as the stem seal loosening up with use, you and I might not like that but they maintain it's not a problem.......they say loose stems are fine. And I think that means they win that point. They never guaranteed stem fit past 'it will insert and function'.

Look at it the other way. If they replaced units with cracked tabs how many guys do you think would tighten up a screw until it cracked so they can send it in and get a new unit with new battery when theirs wears out for instance?

It seems to me they are saying it s cosmetic issue. You could argue that they should have designed it differently/better but that call is theirs I think. I'm still recommending Solo as an excellent tool over all.....as I think most do?

OF

Simple Man

Simple Pleasures
New open box unit turns out to be a newer model; heats while charging. On the upside, it works flawlessly. I'm happy with my $89 brand new Solo. Wife, son and self are all combustion free thanks to these wonderful machines.

Of course, they are just tools. As @ataxian says, Cannabis is the Holy Grail!

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The Solo might not be the prettiest in the line up or the thinnest but she gets the job done. She gets the job done and then some (to a tender turn). I deal with the wobbly stem by putting my index finger on it to keep it steady. The movement of the stem helps to achieve the large clouds that the Solo is known for.

I start out sometimes on heat level 3 and work my way up to 5 by the end of my 10 min session. I usually have light enough ABV to go for another session. I'm saving up for edibles so I want my ABV strong so lately I only go for one time around.

I like using the PVHES mouthpieces but without the o-ring there is still movement, an easier draw. If you have the newer model Solo you don't need the PVHES glass mouthpiece. I like them because they are thicker. Go through PlanetVape for those. At the moment I've been waiting for the bent turbo stems to become available.

Last edited:

OF

Wife, son and self are all combustion free thanks to these wonderful machines.

Outstanding.

IMO that one point alone makes their true value HUGE. Compared to a longer, healthier life (not to mention the enjoyment of the Solo itself), the purchase price is trivial.

Not many places you can buy a longer, better life........but this guy is one I think. Many vapes deliver the goods, but few as well as Solo? Simple, reliable, frugal and effective......a tough combination.

OF

stark1

Lonesome Planet
"I'll "chip" in as well. Not as easy as it sounds. My bet is they buy this type of piece by the 10's of thousands. The chipping may have gone un-noticed until well into the production run(s). You can count on that they had much debate internally on how to proceed at the time. Maybe a ball breaker to stop production and re-order...? I'm sure they weighed in all the factors to determine it's an acceptable risk to let it be.?"

Pipes said this ^. Sorry.

If they are following this thread, the company certainly should take note of consumer concerns with their products.

it would strengthen their company, and hopefully the next gens of their production line.

Consumer feedback is an important facet of evolving R&D.

Last edited:

Canadianguy

I found this guy on DHgate a couple days ago, might do the trick. Just got in on the massdrop myself, november 12th can't come fast enough
1.0x0.jpg

Just ordered one yesterday....I think the company or person is Sunshine and from DHGate to!

Canadianguy,

OF

My bet is they buy this type of piece by the 10's of thousands. The chipping may have gone un-noticed until well into the production run(s). You can count on that they had much debate internally on how to proceed at the time.

I don't think so. That's not how you have such parts made normally. You buy/make the tooling for an injection molding 'house' to use to produce lots for say monthly needs. You don't buy, warehouse, inventory and so on when 'just in time' (or nearly so) is available in such products. The molder buys plastic as pellets in bags and makes products for many customers on very fast, very expensive machines. You have to change the tooling, that often means a ground up effort since you can't modify the existing ones (needed for production).

They sure don't stock two years of PCBs and batteries, right? Or bodies. The Cash Flow Gods don't allow that, even if engineering sense supported it. They have to pay for stuff they order.

I doubt there was much debate, really. A single meeting probably, perhaps very informal, comparing the cost of any changes against the need for those changes (pretty common thing, really). In this case the trump is they decided 'this is not a problem with the design', much like the loose stem issue. When you get right down to it it's a very very small fraction of the potential buyers who consider this, and only a small fraction of those (like all of us) who decide that while it's not exactly what we want, it is a great vape and buy anyway.

Would you like pay say $15 more for a different base that never cracked (like adding a metal plate)? I wouldn't either. And so would the 99% that don't even know.

Unfortunate, but it is what it is. Knowing the tabs cracked sometimes (I think I might even have been the first to report it about two years back when I screwed one up on one of my many teardowns) I've bought more new ones (and recommended them widely). I too wish it wasn't so, but don't look for it to change.

OF

biohacker

Look at it the other way. If they replaced units with cracked tabs how many guys do you think would tighten up a screw until it cracked so they can send it in and get a new unit with new battery when theirs wears out for instance?
OF

Why? Couldn't they just replace the part? :huh:

biohacker,
Reactions: OF

stark1

Lonesome Planet
OF, sorry if my feeble attempt to quote part of Pipes post made you think I had posted it. Apologies.

I quoted the quote with quotes marks.

At any rate, you made some cogent points which I am inclined to agree with.

Top Bottom