Arizer Solo

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
You may want a water tool and a wooden mouthpiece. You can get a wooden stem from FCer Eds TnT wood stems under vaping equipment. The air flow is great so you don't need the PVHES mouthpieces. I use the PVHES mouthpieces. Folks use them with the older model Solos to improve the airflow.

If you get a water tool you would need to buy a gong. You can get gongs from FCer Vapedandconfused.

Look for the glass thread then look for JoDa Glass.

Last edited:

BOBCAT

Its Just Temporary
Got my PVHES today.....They sent the wrong one,ordered the straight and they sent the straight turbo,not a big deal except I really don't wanna clean screens anymore.Dropped them a line but have not heard back yet,The free chips were cool and only 5 days to deliver was pretty awesome too.Gonna give the new one a try shortly.

SOUR DIESEL

You may want a water tool and a wooden mouthpiece. You can get a wooden stem from FCer Eds TnT wood stems under vaping equipment. The air flow is great so you don't need the PVHES mouthpieces. I use the PVHES mouthpieces. Folks use them with the older model Solos to improve the airflow.

If you get a water tool you would need to buy a gong. You can get gongs from FCer Vapedandconfused.

Look for the glass thread then look for JoDa Glass.

Thanks for the info.:)

I ordered Ed's Bog Oak stem. I can be used as a WT.:rockon:

exit

Can't wait to get new battery packs built for both my old Solos.

It took me a while to get used to the ultra restricted airflow of the ceramic bowl Solo and i'm not sure I'd be able to use it on a day to day basis, however it gives incredible hits and truly shines when used with something like a sherlock which makes it much easier to draw from.

Plus it runs hot as hell. It takes a while to heat up and definitely has a very different heating curve than the steel bowl Solos. It kills the battery heating so much more, but I consistently get my bowls cooked so thoroughly, only the SSV or pre-evo Cloud could also make ABV that dark (of the vapes i've owned)

biohacker

Stoked to be getting my new Solo from PV in the next day or so! It's been a long time since I owned a Solo but now that it's summer I absolutely need the portability, and i'm intrigued by the newer slightly better airflow and the ability to charge/use. My last Solo was my daily driver for a loooong time with the Battery Bypass adapter. This Solo will be used for portable needs 90% of the time, since I love using my Nano as a daily driver (and sometimes Cloud).

I'm hoping my E-nano gong works with the Solo for water tool purposes. This is the rumour i've read somewhere but can't find anymore. Inside diameter for Nano, outside diameter fits Solo. Will know tomorrow hopefully.

HUNTER12

I've searched but couldn't find info. Anyway, I've red but not sure that a regular cotton can be used to with solo and concentrates. Anyone has tried or using this method? thanks

HUNTER12,

jconeab

check it
I've searched but couldn't find info. Anyway, I've red but not sure that a regular cotton can be used to with solo and concentrates. Anyone has tried or using this method? thanks

Yea, I've read and seen people just put a small cotton ball into the bowl of the stem and just melt some concentrates on there, and you can even use eliquids and stuff.

Just picked up a solo from PlanetVape cuz it fit my price range (sub$200, $160 promo price atm) and I trust Arizer's products. Gonna hold off on most attachments as a friend is gonna let me borrow the WT/pipe piece. Can't wait to start vaping flowers again, been using an old water pipe and I'm going through my stash a little too quick right now haha.

pvtsamoa

Sorry, no. No heater parts from the maker, at least that anyone has been able to find and report back. Aside from stems and chargers the few places with batteries seem to be all the consumer parts available.

If you find out otherwise, please let us know? TIA

Good luck.

OF
yea i've been searching all over the internet and i can only find pictures, if anyone out there has any spare parts they wouldn't mind getting rid of please let me know. i'll be sure to post if i find a retailer for parts

ou812?

Was wondering if a reset would fix this: Charged unit every thing good all light functional nothing out of ordinary.
next day I turn unit on and notice no battery level illumination,but it flashes on the #7 light and goes to blue idle,from there unit works correctly by allowing you to go up in temp.

Heater illuminates and does its thing of flashing, all good,unit works fine. Go to use PA all normal except when plugging in, batt level is only the#7 light for a second and then goes to blue idle and from there can be used in PA mode.

Go to charge it to just see what light display I'll get and green charge light goes on but no level of battery charge at all. If reset will work GREAT but I dont know how to reset the unit. If reset doesnt work any ideas on what may be the gremlin?, lets see unit is 1 yr old, I get 7-8 full sessions on batt,with temps from 5-7 but dont beat the hell out of batt use,2x a week and discharge to #2 and charge to green flashing on #7 for the other 4-5 days using PA. Is warranty good for 2 yrs on P&L?
FOR UNIT? My only concern is I cant judge where I'm at as far as charging the unit and cant tell how far Im discharging it either , not good:disgust:

EDIT: I might add it is an older unit: M1A4 and has never been dropped or any liquid slips, spotless crucible , nothing,always babied when outing. nvr abused just used.

Last edited:
ou812?,

PoisonousHydra

Friends,

I just wanted to chime in and add some of my thoughts concerning my recent experience returning my Solo unit to Arizer.

This was a unit purchased in October of 2012. I used it as my daily driver until May of 2013, so for about six months, until I decided to pull the plug on my first desktop vapourizer, the HerbalAire. Shortly after acquiring the HerbalAire, I was diagnosed with a severe mental illness, which made it nearly impossible for me to leave the house. This meant that sadly, my Solo sat in a box for about six months. The day I went to use it I discovered it had passed on. When turning the unit on, only the blue Idle light was lit, followed by a beep, after which it would turn off. When plugged into a charger, the Idle and 7 lights would flash intermittently, and it would emit continuous beeps until unplugged.

I assumed (incorrectly) that it was the battery, so I actually wound up replacing it (twice, but that's another tale) which initially seemed to do something. It would actually charge now, and would turn on, but the Red Heat LED would not light. Once the replacement battery became fully charged, the unit returned to the exact same behaviour as before. This led me to the conclusion that it must be returned under warranty.

Arizer were quick to reply, putting me through the usual series of troubleshooting steps that any manufacturer would (try another charger, reset the unit, stand on your head while drinking a glass of water) none of which helped. Upon deciding that my unit was a candidate for service under warranty, Arizer informed me that I not only must pay to ship the unit back to them, but that I could not even ship the unit to them until I sent them payment to ship my unit back to me. This was extremely off-putting to me, as I deal with many companies that make vapourizers, and other technological devices, and I have never heard of any company charging the customer to return a product under warranty. In fact, quite the opposite: most companies take the inverse approach, either e-mailing customers pre-paid shipping labels, or including accessories in the package as compensation, as explicitly mentioned in the case of my recent return to HerbalAire.

I was charged 22.60$ CAD, which I am hoping is flat-rate, since it cost me exactly half of that to ship my Solo to them, and this was via the same carrier, and same service, so they literally double-charged me for shipping. I also reside in the same province as Arizer headquarters (a five hour drive away) so if this is not flat rate shipping, they are certainly making a killing off of purported shipping costs. Oddly enough, I actually bought this unit specifically after spending over 200 dollars sending my WISPR and ioLite back to the manufacturer, so had I known at the time that I would have to pay to ship it both ways, I never would have purchased this product.

In spite of all of this, the return process was extremely straightforward and painless. They guarantee a 2 business day turn-around, but in reality, it was about 12 hours, since they received my unit on Friday, and e-mailed me on Sunday saying that a replacement would ship the following day. I received my new unit today, and I am very pleased. I know some people say that it makes little difference, but for what it's worth, my original Solo was an M1D2, and the new one is an M1F1. I am happy that they replaced it, instead of repairing it, as my unit had quite a bit of oxidation in the shape of my hand on the outside. I also now have the added benefit of being able to charge and use it simultaneously. I suspect that some reliability issues with the old Switching Power Supply they were using as a wall adapter had something to do with the redesign. My wall adapter was always a little wonky to begin with, and lasted for maybe a month before it started to do nothing but tick. I would also add that this unit does seem to run warmer than the one I returned, at least subjectively. My old Solo was only ever used on 7, so when I received this one, I naturally did the same. I found the 7th setting on this unit was borderline combusting my herb: it definitely had that bitter, smokey taste that I get from my Launch Box, or Da Buddha when I accidentally bump the knob without noticing it (which happens more often than you'd think). My second cycle was on 6, which seemed to provide about the same levels of vapour and flavour as the returned unit did at 7.

In summary, while I was pretty put off by being (double?) charged by a company to ship a replacement for their own defective equipment to me, the experience was a very positive one. In contrast, I'd like to mention that I returned my HerbalAire to the manufacturer before the Solo, and after I was told that everything would be taken care of Monday, it sat in their fucking Post Office Box until late Tuesday afternoon, for a grand total of six days. No one knows how much longer they will hold onto it, since it's apparently being repaired, not replaced.

I am left asking myself: was it worth paying 22.60$ to get my medical device replaced in an almost instant fashion? The answer is that it is undeniably worth it, but I will hesitate to recommend it to anyone in the future without mentioning this particular caveat. Had I known about this practice at the time, having been burned as I was by Oglesby & Butler, I never would have purchased this unit. Arizer did include two straight glass stems with the return, which was a nice gesture, since I smashed my bent wand about a week after I purchased the Solo, and my straight wand had the bowl snapped off when I was using it in my HerbalAire through a water piece, leaving me only my African Blackwood Stem ;).

As much as I love my Desktops, and as little as I leave the house, I am looking forward to having a proper Portable again, for the odd time when I am out and about, or as happened just last night, my power goes out for four hours, so I wind up having to combust.

Last edited:

exit

@PoisonousHydra I feel your pain but Arizer says up front you have to pay both ways shipping. At least they did to me when I inquired about getting my ol' M107 looked at, before I did it myself of course.

However this is why when I had problems with my past Solos, I always went through the retailer I used (puffitup in my case).

IF your unit was past the 2 year warranty which it sounds like it is it's basically up to the company at that point.

Personally i agree and think Arizer's service is too expensive and stubborn, but just saying. Given usually your retailer will take care of the problem and cover shipping both ways (at least puffitup does) and I have never spent a dime getting a solo replaced through them.

I'm still trying to convince them that the car charger is responsible for messing up my Solos, but i'll still recommend solos to friends until then ;)

exit,
Reactions: ataxian

PoisonousHydra

@PoisonousHydra I feel your pain but Arizer says up front you have to pay both ways shipping. At least they did to me when I inquired about getting my ol' M107 looked at, before I did it myself of course.

However this is why when I had problems with my past Solos, I always went through the retailer I used (puffitup in my case).

IF your unit was past the 2 year warranty which it sounds like it is it's basically up to the company at that point.

Personally i agree and think Arizer's service is too expensive and stubborn, but just saying. Given usually your retailer will take care of the problem and cover shipping both ways (at least puffitup does) and I have never spent a dime getting a solo replaced through them.

I'm still trying to convince them that the car charger is responsible for messing up my Solos, but i'll still recommend solos to friends until then ;)
I never suggested that I was duped by them in any way into paying shipping, but rather that I was upset at the practice in general. I honestly think that powering mine for a month on what turned out to be a faulty power adapter probably screwed it up in the first place.

I mentioned at least three times in my post that this was returned under warranty.

I would have returned it to the retailer, but in spite of everyone on here showering Puffitup with praise I have never received even so much as a reply from them when I attempted to return two different vapourizers to them. I have used multiple e-mail addresses, but I have also seen my ISPs IP ranges listed on more than one Spam Filter, or Block List, for whatever reason. Also, keep in mind that Arizer Headquarters is a five hour drive from my residence, as mentioned.

exit

By the way, no pics for now, but I finally got some teflon tape in the mail from Amazon and put the ol' M107 back together. A couple twists around makes it feel pretty secure. I'll be taking it out with me today for some stress testing.

PoisonousHydra

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
This creature here makes all sorts of wonderful Solo accessories, amongst them some one of a kind charging stands made of cured resin ^_^. I don't personally own one, but the heart knows what it wants.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-all-in-one-plus-solo-accessory-package-aio.11079/
Yep, this creature is always willing to help where he can. The PA interest is not what it was, however, I can assist in stands, car charger and adapters to feed the needs of our family here.
Sometimes it's the simple little things which bring it all together.:tup:

SOUR DIESEL

Yep, this creature is always willing to help where he can. The PA interest is not what it was, however, I can assist in stands, car charger and adapters to feed the needs of our family here.
Sometimes it's the simple little things which bring it all together.:tup:

A little assistance if you please. I want to buy a car charger for my new solo. Am I correct that I can't use my new solo with your car charger?

Does the new solo have to have the battery installed in order to use the car adapter or plug in?

Is the oem car adapter suspect in damaging solos?

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
A little assistance if you please. I want to buy a car charger for my new solo. Am I correct that I can't use my new solo with your car charger?

Does the new solo have to have the battery installed in order to use the car adapter or plug in?

Is the oem car adapter suspect in damaging solos?
No problem. Assistance is what FCs all about.
The battery stays inside the Solo just like at home.
The car charger is no more then the ability to hook it up to you're car's 12 volt system. There is no electronics in the wiring whatsoever. Besides a fuse in the plug head of course.

The charger I can provide is a hefty one rated up to 10 amps. It has the more standard 5.5X2.1mm connector which is converted to the Solo's plug size of 4.0X1.7mm. I make a 90 degree elbow plug just for this purpose.

As for the OEM car charger doing damage to the Solo. I don't believe it's a sound theory. It would more likely be a problem in the cars electrical system itself. High alternator spiking or such sounds more plausible to me. Only reported once as far as I know. Well same car anyway.?

Always open to PMs. As do not like to "push" myself.

exit

I have reason to suspect my car in particular isn't putting out clean 12V like it should so it -should- be an edge case of my car charger messing up.

Also the teflon tape didn't hold, I had about 2 full wraps done but the top still pops off from time to time if I don't hoold the top on place while I insert/remove a stem. But I didn't bring the teflon tape out on the town with me tonight.

OF

Also the teflon tape didn't hold, I had about 2 full wraps done but the top still pops off from time to time if I don't hoold the top on place while I insert/remove a stem. But I didn't bring the teflon tape out on the town with me tonight.

Try a little more. Depending on how shot the threads are, I might take a quite a few turns to build it up enough. You can fold/twist the tape before threading the cap on for a trial. The tape is soft (as you see) and will flow some. The idea is to make it snug and have the threads cut into it for enough 'bite to hold'.

Experiment some, it's easy to strip off and start over. You might start with a couple more turns over the top of what you have?

Good luck.

OF

PoisonousHydra

Was wondering if a reset would fix this: Charged unit every thing good all light functional nothing out of ordinary.
next day I turn unit on and notice no battery level illumination,but it flashes on the #7 light and goes to blue idle,from there unit works correctly by allowing you to go up in temp.

Heater illuminates and does its thing of flashing, all good,unit works fine. Go to use PA all normal except when plugging in, batt level is only the#7 light for a second and then goes to blue idle and from there can be used in PA mode.

Go to charge it to just see what light display I'll get and green charge light goes on but no level of battery charge at all. If reset will work GREAT but I dont know how to reset the unit. If reset doesnt work any ideas on what may be the gremlin?, lets see unit is 1 yr old, I get 7-8 full sessions on batt,with temps from 5-7 but dont beat the hell out of batt use,2x a week and discharge to #2 and charge to green flashing on #7 for the other 4-5 days using PA. Is warranty good for 2 yrs on P&L?
FOR UNIT? My only concern is I cant judge where I'm at as far as charging the unit and cant tell how far Im discharging it either , not good:disgust:

EDIT: I might add it is an older unit: M1A4 and has never been dropped or any liquid slips, spotless crucible , nothing,always babied when outing. nvr abused just used.
This sounds similar to my problem mentioned here, and I am hoping that yours is not heading down the same path...

When turning the unit on, only the blue Idle light was lit, followed by a beep, after which it would turn off. When plugged into a charger, the Idle and 7 lights would flash intermittently, and it would emit continuous beeps until unplugged.

I assumed (incorrectly) that it was the battery, so I actually wound up replacing it (twice, but that's another tale) which initially seemed to do something. It would actually charge now, and would turn on, but the Red Heat LED would not light. Once the replacement battery became fully charged, the unit returned to the exact same behaviour as before. This led me to the conclusion that it must be returned under warranty.

Here is what Arizer had to say on the matter:
I am sorry to hear you have experienced an issue with your Solo unit. I will assist you with troubleshooting and then I will determine the best way for you to resolve this issue quickly. You may be able to manually reset your Solo. Please try the following:
  • Plug the charger into the wall outlet
  • Plug the charger into the Solo unit
  • press and hold both buttons for approximately 4 seconds
  • wait for 10 seconds then unplug from charger

Last edited:

biohacker

Just got my new Solo from PV! Ordered yesterday arrived at 8:15am! Just a quick first impression from my unboxing (I've owned alot of Solo's in the past 2 years). There is no "warranty registration" card included requesting an email to register the warranty. Is this practice discontinued now and just contact Arizer when I actually need warranty?

I am not completely sure, but I think this Solo feels a bit heavier than my last ones, save for the original ceramic bowl solo's. I like that quality feel to it, and more importantly I LOVE the black paint. I think I received one black MATTE finish paint in the past and loved it, but after that the paint went all glossy and drove me nuts. This new M1Y Black Solo from PV is MATTE black with a tiny bit of sheen...looks bomb!

Not sure either, but the wall charger seems to be a bit better quality than in the past. It came charged up to 5, so it's charging right now....can't wait for the first ride! The little holes in the heater do seem a tiny bit bigger.

Bought both size o-rings, not sure to use them yet, there was a note indicating that as the teflon ring loosens, it increases airflow and efficiency. I guess there will be a time and a place.

PoisonousHydra

Is this practice discontinued now and just contact Arizer when I actually need warranty?

I am not completely sure, but I think this Solo feels a bit heavier than my last ones, save for the original ceramic bowl solo's. I like that quality feel to it, and more importantly I LOVE the black paint. I think I received one black MATTE finish paint in the past and loved it, but after that the paint went all glossy and drove me nuts. This new M1Y Black Solo from PV is MATTE black with a tiny bit of sheen...looks bomb!

I just returned mine which was purchased in October of 2012 directly to Arizer. I never registered it upon purchasing it, and while I sent them the receipt out of generosity, they never asked for it, only the "Serial Number" (their words) on the bottom the unit.

I also noticed that the finish on my Silver unit seems to be of a much higher quality. The powdered aluminum seems to be much less gritty, and I imagine less likely to chip off, or oxidize as my returned unit had. The finish is almost as smooth as that on my Silver Da Buddha, as they sit side by side.

Top Bottom