Arizer solo or Thermal Vape

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
Hello all,
I read this board ALOT and really respect the users opinions. i am currently looking to replace my portable vapes cause i have issues with both. Currently i have an Iolite and a MFLB. here is why i want to replace them:

Iolite - i either love or hate this vape. when it works it gives off very decent clouds and the herbs taste good from it. the problem is it often gives me fits of not lighting or taking a lot of clicking to get it to light. it's just not reliable. the fact it uses butane is not really a factor cause i keep a can wherever i vape usually.

MFLB - i know this is one of this boards favorite vapes but i don't rave over it. i don't get good clouds and the taste of the herbs doesn't last past the first pull. i have used all the methods of hitting this including the micro sip method but i personally just cant get the rips i get from my Iolite or my DBV (my first and favorite vape). i also don't like how the batteries don't last long so you have to keep plenty of charged batteries around.

so after reading this board for like forever i think i have narrowed it down to the Thermal Vape and the Arizer solo. i was also looking at the vapor blunt but a couple of reviews turned me off to it. i would like to get this boards opnions on the two i have narrowed it down to. basing it on the fact i like my tastes to last and to get nice thick clouds. which are my top priorities and the way it is powered is secondary.... what are your opinions on the two?? i am ready to pull the trigger and buy one.

thanks in advance
Mike

mmenzie,

GReYAReA

Amid The Vapors...
I own both, and would not sell either. Both are excellent. Here is my quick opinion on the differences.

Arizer Solo: Hits are a bit stronger. Slower to heat up. Less stealth, as you have to insert a stem, press buttons, and wait for it to warm up. It is fast, but not instant. Much better battery life.

Thermovape: Much more portable. Heats up in 5-10 seconds; no fiddling. Just insert your materials, push the slider, and hit it a few seconds later. Best unit for air or international travel as you can strip it all down and boil the components if you need. Battery life is very short; on the plus side is they are user replaceable.

Solo is for car trips. If I plan to be in a local hotel, this is the device that's with me. Or if its 3:00AM and I don't want to fill a volcano bag, I turn to this. If I'm flying anywhere, the Thermovape will come with me as it is much smaller, easier (fast) to use, and simple to clean.

Both are excellent. I'd base the decision on the volume of use, and relative need for stealth/portability.

GReYAReA,

mmenzie

thank you for the reply. those pros and cons you listed are exactly what i need to help my decision. i still haven't fully decided but those opinions help greatly!!

mmenzie,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Have you actually read the Thermovape thread? I ask because you say you can't get good clouds from the MFLB even trying all techniques, and you are put off by the battery life.

The TV thread is full of people complaining that they can't get good rips from the TV. I know others say they can with good technique, but lots of people can get clouds out of the LB too with proper technique. As for battery life, the TV flattens them at light speed. If those are really your reasons for not liking the LB, I can't see how you'd be happy with the TV.

pakalolo,

mmenzie

pakalolo said:
Have you actually read the Thermovape thread? I ask because you say you can't get good clouds from the MFLB even trying all techniques, and you are put off by the battery life.

The TV thread is full of people complaining that they can't get good rips from the TV. I know others say they can with good technique, but lots of people can get clouds out of the LB too with proper technique. As for battery life, the TV flattens them at light speed. If those are really your reasons for not liking the LB, I can't see how you'd be happy with the TV.

i will admit i did not read all 95 pages of the TV thread as i did the arizer solo thread. i really perused it. i read the solo thread more cause it's been on here longer and i actually started reading that one when it came out so it wasn't a long read. the TV thread i read the beginning and skipped to the end and started read backwards (a weird technique i do with huge threads). I read enogh good things but obviously missed all the parts you pointed out. I have acyually been leaning towards the solo for awhile but backed off when all the negative comments came out about all the different models (ceramic and SS) but i hear the lateest is the best so far (M107 as i read here). funny thing is.. i went to puffitup.com and asked on their AIM chat window about the new model and this is what i got:

aimguest52929922: just had two questions... what is the current solo model you are shipping?
PuffItUp: we have the newest but there is no model number
aimguest52929922: thats not what i am reading on the FC forum
PuffItUp: yeah i know they are confused it is a manufacturing number they are reading it has nothing to do with anything outside of the factory records
aimguest52929922: so why all the talk about m105, m106, and m107??
PuffItUp: i have no clue honestly we have asked the manufacture and that assured us there is no model numbers
aimguest52929922: well now i am leary here... i am going to post on the forums... i am interested in purchasing a solo but after all i have read i want to make sure i get one that will make me happy. i will wait to see what they say about this and come back if i read good info. thanks for your time

so thats why i came back here. i am confused as well now where to buy as well because of this. there are many posts about how good PIU is but after talking to whoever was manning the AIM window i am not so sure anymore.

mmenzie,

scottio19

scotty
mmenzie, those are different "batch numbers" so technically all the models are the same "model". just different problems and characteristics are apparent with the different batches.

am I correct, guys? havn't done too much research on the solo thread so correct me if I'm wrong

scottio19,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
scottio19 said:
mmenzie, those are different "batch numbers" so technically all the models are the same "model". just different problems and characteristics are apparent with the different batches.

am I correct, guys? havn't done too much research on the solo thread so correct me if I'm wrong

Yes, this is correct. They just started referring to the batch numbers as model numbers in the thread. The serial numbers do start with Mnnn, easy to understand how that happened.

pakalolo,

GReYAReA

Amid The Vapors...
The store I purchased mine from told me they took several different batch numbers (105/106/107) off the shelf to compare... I was expecting the next line to be ,"and they are all exactly the same" like every other store was saying, but instead, they conceded that there are minor cosmetic and functional difference between each. I held out for an M107, and I'm glad I did, just because I feel they probably fixed minor problems each time they changed...

I do love my m107. Time to fill it, actually...

EDIT: I do want to add to that people seem to like all versions of the Solo. It does appear to be one of the most well rated portables. Whatever batch/model you end up with will likely be fine.

GReYAReA,

jaynick

also i forgot to mention my m104 was so so but my m105 rocks. debating if the search for m107 is worth it.
with that being said i will eventually buy the thermovape to use exactly as greyarea stated.

jaynick,

vape4life

Banned for life
jaynick said:
also i forgot to mention my m104 was so so but my m105 rocks. debating if the search for m107 is worth it.
with that being said i will eventually buy the thermovape to use exactly as greyarea stated.

Having owned both m105 and m107, the m107 is very worth it. Way better heat and the stems fit snug but not overly.

vape4life,

max

Out to lunch
there are many posts about how good PIU is but after talking to whoever was manning the AIM window i am not so sure anymore.
Your expectations in this situation are not realistic. You expect a reseller to know about differences between units that are just different manufacturing batches. If you want to ask questions about this kind of thing, you need to ask Arizer, not a reseller. It's not like they open up boxes at random to test for differences. That's not their job and it's counterproductive to their business.

max,

hogleg

jeez max. I dont see how knowing what your customers are getting could be counterproductive.

hogleg,

darkrom

Great Scott!
GReYAReA said:
EDIT: I do want to add to that people seem to like all versions of the Solo. It does appear to be one of the most well rated portables. Whatever batch/model you end up with will likely be fine.

I'd avoid that statement personally. Get one of the earlier models with ceramic and its highly likely that it will chip. Get an early stainless and it's probably not hot enough. Get a 2 hole stem and its like sucking a golf ball through a straw, but the 4 holes (and some 3 holes) IMO are way to whispy and there goes the vapor to air ratio that I originally liked with the 2 hole stems (besides the total lack of airflow).

There are a lot of unsatisfied and satisfied owners of the solo, but I think its very fair to say the later models must be better than the originals.

Personally after having owned and used every portable mentioned in this thread MY favorite is the thermovape. Yes you need extra batteries and this is the only major negative I have found yet. Simple solution is to buy more batteries. I have enough batteries and some mini holders that I can take the vape and 5 bowls worth of batteries in ONE pocket. Traveling with the solo is not close to that easy. The MFLB was my loyal companion for years as I've owned 2 or 3 of them and a limited edition. The downside to MFLB is that it also takes 1 battery per bowl so you will need batteries just like the TV, but more importantly to me personally is the temperature of the MFLB. I either vape too light and feel shaky and shitty, or I vape dark and it irritates my throat. If I was able to vape hotter with the MFLB without irritation I'd have likely kept it forever. Instead I got my TV which is really just right for me. Any temp, FAR less irritation than the MFLB is my experience.

darkrom,

weedemon

enthusiast
I heard M106 of newer and you are good to go

to compare the 2

the solo will give bigger clouds I am told (never used it myself). That said, I get hits from my Thermovape that give me coughing fits. So it's plenty capable of doing that too.

While I can't say for sure but I think the flavour will last a bit longer in the Thermo than it will in the Solo (bigger hits usually mean faster flavour loss)

The solo has a internal battery that can't be taken out and swapped on the fly. the Thermo can. But the solo also has much better battery life.

weedemon,

vape4life

Banned for life
darkrom said:
GReYAReA said:

I'd avoid that statement personally. Get one of the earlier models with ceramic and its highly likely that it will chip. Get an early stainless and it's probably not hot enough. Get a 2 hole stem and its like sucking a golf ball through a straw, but the 4 holes (and some 3 holes) IMO are way to whispy and there goes the vapor to air ratio that I originally liked with the 2 hole stems (besides the total lack of airflow).

There are a lot of unsatisfied and satisfied owners of the solo, but I think its very fair to say the later models must be better than the originals.

Personally after having owned and used every portable mentioned in this thread MY favorite is the thermovape. Yes you need extra batteries and this is the only major negative I have found yet. Simple solution is to buy more batteries. I have enough batteries and some mini holders that I can take the vape and 5 bowls worth of batteries in ONE pocket. Traveling with the solo is not close to that easy. The MFLB was my loyal companion for years as I've owned 2 or 3 of them and a limited edition. The downside to MFLB is that it also takes 1 battery per bowl so you will need batteries just like the TV, but more importantly to me personally is the temperature of the MFLB. I either vape too light and feel shaky and shitty, or I vape dark and it irritates my throat. If I was able to vape hotter with the MFLB without irritation I'd have likely kept it forever. Instead I got my TV which is really just right for me. Any temp, FAR less irritation than the MFLB is my experience.

I think you should give the Solo another chance (m107)...it produces very thick clouds and has no problems whatsoever. The stems DO get loose over time, this doesn't bother me though.

vape4life,

darkrom

Great Scott!
weedemon said:
While I can't say for sure but I think the flavour will last a bit longer in the Thermo than it will in the Solo (bigger hits usually mean faster flavour loss)

I will boldly declare that I feel anyone who has used both vapes will give the flavor aspect to the Thermovape. It is one of the best tasting vapes I've ever tried. That being said the awesome battery life of the solo would be amazing on a thermovape....

You can't please everyone all the time :lol:

darkrom,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
I have both. I would say Solo = 3 ThermoVapes, at least. Why? Solo can last for much longer, you can seem to get more out of it.

For taste, and ease of use - it's ThermoVape.

For power, it's Solo.

I use the Solo at home, and ThermoVape on the go. However, I wouldn't do the opposite, for a few reasons.

If the world was perfect - you would get both :)

:2c:

sessnet,
I bought the m104 ceramic in November and I am very impressed and satisfied with the solo. I get huge clouds at 3. It's small and I get around 3 hours battery life at power level 3. 2 hours if I go to 7 but I don't need to go that high since the ceramic is very hot. Anything above 4 feels a little too hot for me. I've had no flaking issues and not worried about it since their customer service will help me out if I do in the future. It even fell out of my pocket, met the ground and works fine (just a tiny nick on the cap) I've also had had no "robot fart smell" issues. It did smell a little like hot electronics the first day or two but it quickly went away.

The only "con" if you can call it that is the glass stems and to be careful with them especially when medicated heavily. They stay hot so I learned my lesson to wait a few minutes for them to cool down before packing it again. The stems are loose on the m104 but it's no big deal to me.

I am eagerly waiting for my 4 hole stems to come this week and also the stealth adapter. I bought some silicone tubing so I can't wait to try that out with the stealth adapter. I'm thinking about running the tubing through some ice water in a metal bowl to cool it down. I'll make sure to keep the solo far away from the water bowl as safety precaution. I'll let you guys know how that goes. Also got a few McDonald cups to try out the stealthiness. This week is gonna be fun. :)

Donny187,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
mmenzie said:
i would like to get this boards opnions on the two i have narrowed it down to. basing it on the fact i like my tastes to last and to get nice thick clouds. which are my top priorities and the way it is powered is secondary....

Based on your criteria, I would give the taste edge to the ThermoVape, but the cloud edge goes to the Solo.

I usse both the Solo and the TV on the go. If I will be sharing (especially with a noob) I bring the Solo. If I'm "solo", I usually go with the TV.

They are very different animals.

:2c:

Stu,
Top Bottom