Arizer Solo II

biohacker

Yeah it always makes me laugh when people post about doing hours and hours of empty burn offs and wondering why their vape smells or tastes bad when heated... it's kinda like one of those "well what do you expect" moments.

Glad it makes you laugh, it makes me laugh when people don't care about what fumes they are inhaling or what they put in their body. What do you expect? I expect that manufacturing oils and residues fully offgass and leave a clean environment to vape from. One burn off simply isn't enough in my experience with dozens of vapes. You would have to be insane to only use one burn off in a vape like the Crafty/Mighty which absolutely REEKS of plastic. You don't have do be a genius to realize what plastic fumes (or from PCB, solder, plastic sheathing) can do to your health. Xenoestrogens can fuck up your hormones greatly, especially if you inhale them.

I've always noticed the slight metallic tinge from the bowl of my Solo one, but it didn't bother me as I knew it's probably very good stainless?

That could be it, and if so i'm pretty surprised as I thought that stainless would be so inert. I notice ZERO metallic taste or smell from my 100% aluminum Supreme 3.

blackstone

That could be it, and if so i'm pretty surprised as I thought that stainless would be so inert. I notice ZERO metallic taste or smell from my 100% aluminum Supreme 3.

Maybe it's what vapor particulate tastes like when it lands on hot stainless, or it's from another source?
I have to agree, I use aluminium capsules this last while, and I've never tasted them either!
I think I know what they mean about the taste of a stainless screen too though, and maybe it's even less of a taste, but more of a tingle sensation on the tongue?

Doesn't occur with every stainless thing I have, maybe it's certain grades or not related to the bowl itself?

biohacker

Maybe it's what vapor particulate tastes like when it lands on hot stainless, or it's from another source?

It's not vapour particulate, as i've never used my Solo II with herb yet! It's either solder from the PCB, plastic sheathing from the wires, or the actual SS bowl offgassing. It's about 90% better than when brand new, so the burnoffs are actually helping, but I either need to do more, otherwise just accept the fact that it is what it is and herb will simply "mask it".

I think I know what they mean about the taste of a stainless screen too though, and maybe it's even less of a taste, but more of a tingle sensation on the tongue?

That's so interesting, i've been interested in hearing reports of this since Arizer says that the tiny little stainless screen actually makes a difference in taste and harshness. I would assume that the stainless bowl would have WAY more of an effect on that than the little gauze. Thanks for sharing that dude!

OF

Unfortunately, it does not look as though we will be able to fix the issue (if it occurs) as easily as we have been able to for Solo I and Air. @OF did you see any possible solutions when you took Solo II apart?

Please, just how did we "fix the issue (if it occurs) as easily as we have been able to for Solo I and Air". That is what did we do? I sure don't recall that.......and I think I was there (or is it here?). TIA.

The seals are sure to 'wear in' to some extent since they have to be hard and yet compliant enough to work with undersize and out of round stems. And still accept oversize ones. I expect Solo 2 to be no different. In fact very similar to Air in this respect since it's oven is similar.

No, aside from replacing the entire oven (meaning soldering......) the seals go with the oven unit.

This (loose stems) comes up from time to time, folks should understand Arizer doesn't consider the seals so loose as the stem falls out to be a fault, they won't replace one that still makes vapor. It's just not an issue with them, we wanted it tighter than Solo, so they gave us that in Air and Solo 2. I think that's where it ends?

Remember it's not a handle.........

OF

blackstone

It's not vapour particulate, as i've never used my Solo II with herb yet! It's either solder from the PCB, plastic sheathing from the wires, or the actual SS bowl offgassing. It's about 90% better than when brand new, so the burnoffs are actually helping, but I either need to do more, otherwise just accept the fact that it is what it is and herb will simply "mask it".

I was thinking after, it could also be the taste of air/o2 as it hits certain grades of hot stainless! But maybe I should just stop thinking!
The worst item that I know for metallic taste is a fake mini hookah type tourist bong from north Africa, but I've gotten it from other items in varying degrees.

That's so interesting, i've been interested in hearing reports of this since Arizer says that the tiny little stainless screen actually makes a difference in taste and harshness. I would assume that the stainless bowl would have WAY more of an effect on that than the little gauze. Thanks for sharing that dude!

It's worth bearing in mind that I got a huge chunk of fine wire mesh from an engineering shop, and it was all wrapped up with dust and non-oily junk.
And I cleaned this and made many varying shapes and screens from it over a time.
Some of the times I was tasting screen, could have been dust, or washing liquid. And although I'm sure it's stainless, I'm unsure of the grade.
Something tells me I'll get that metal tongue tingle at the higher temps too, or maybe after torching a screen once?
I used to use setting 7 on my Solo one, now I only use 2 and 3!

The oil pads from a china clone vape were really bad, but with S&B liquid pads I can't get much of this effect.
Maybe what I notice is poor quality metals being unpleasant and better quality ones being tolerable?

biohacker

I was thinking after, it could also be the taste of air/o2 as it hits certain grades of hot stainless!

Quite possible! Good thought!

with S&B liquid pads I can't get much of this effect.

I've tasted it with those pads, and so have many others.

Glass is king! Looking forward to that new Ghost vape!

EDIT: Just saw the pic of the internals posted a few pages back. The smell/taste is definitely SOLDER. I now see that the PCB gets hot and offgasses it. Due to impure airpath, it appears that this vape is not for me. Off to the classifieds! :rofl:

I should have taken you alot more seriously back in the day @kellya86 when you questioned it!!!! :wave:

Last edited:

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Interesting perspective! It's something i've noticed on the over dozen Solo's i've own in the past, and at some point turns into the smell of "heat" if that makes sense. I actually think it has more to do with the stainless bowl, and perhaps i'm sensitive to these "metallic" odours/tastes. Kinda like how arizer says if you use a stainless screen it will negatively affect the taste and cause harsher vapour :D
Over a dozen solos? :bowdown:Did they keep burning out from burnoffs and had to be replaced?:shrug: My solo has lasted for years w/o fail or farts from bots (fwiw, my mighty also):tup: I never did any burnoffs with either, just loaded weed right out the box.:science: This must mean fume smells/ taste are subjective too?:huh:

biohacker

Over a dozen solos? :bowdown:

haha, I was being conservative with the estimate too! Naw, they all worked, just bought and sold many times over the years. I had one defective one early on, when I think plastic sheathing was actually melting. The only defective one I had was when a former member here gave up all his vapes and essentially sold me a broken Solo and EVO, mind you that Solo was 5 years old.

This must mean fume smells/ taste are subjective too?:huh:

I don't think so, this is quite common knowledge for Mighty/Crafty... perhaps your sense of smell isn't that great? :shrug: It's quite strong, way more than the Solo II, but different (solder vs new plastic).

AJS

Calm Consistency
Off to the classifieds!
Can always keep it to watch and admire the heat up time :)

Mine smelled before even ever burning off ... and heating most certainly burned off (not all) residue that was on the heater, making the air around it smell like factory. This makes me think it was the heater itself and not solder. If solder was the cause of the smell I think I would still be smelling it when I heat up my unit without any herb in it but I don't. I'm not sure, just throwing it out there.

As for stems ... my bent is a tad loose with a wobble but not free spinning or falling out. The GonG is very tight ... can swing the Solo from it like a goddam hammer if I wanted. My straight stems are inbetween. I wouldn't be worried about stems until people say it's starting to happen. Never happened with my Air, never had a solo 1.

Don't worry unless the situation requires it.

biohacker

Can always keep it to watch and admire the heat up time :)

This is what makes it so hard! The heatup time is so damn impressive! But it's cool, i'm okay waiting for the next latest and greatest, whether that's the Ghost or Mighty/Crafty 2 (as VapeCritic is rumouring).

Mine smelled before even ever burning off ... and heating most certainly burned off (not all) residue that was on the heater, making the air around it smell like factory. This makes me think it was the heater itself and not solder. If solder was the cause of the smell I think I would still be smelling it when I heat up my unit without any herb in it but I don't. I'm not sure, just throwing it out there.

After testing it some more, the smell is basically non-existent (I think), but now I have a damn headache? Although the airflow is improved, I still don't think it's enough for my huge lungs and hits I prefer, as i'm not much of a "sipper". Different strokes. I did do some leakage testing myself, and oh yeah it forsure comes from everywhere, so the air path isn't as fresh as I thought with the one main intake. It comes from the charging port, and display screen/buttons area as well. I'm just picky, and it's just not good enough for me.

And I burned myself on a hot stem! :lol: I'm sure i'd break all of these stems like I have in the past. I'm sure it will go to a good home and to someone that appreciates it fully! I know it's an awesome vape, but just not for me (like almost all vapes!). :mental:

AJS

Calm Consistency
This is what makes it so hard! The heatup time is so damn impressive! But it's cool, i'm okay waiting for the next latest and greatest, whether that's the Ghost or Mighty/Crafty 2 (as VapeCritic is rumouring).

After testing it some more, the smell is basically non-existent (I think), but now I have a damn headache? Although the airflow is improved, I still don't think it's enough for my huge lungs and hits I prefer, as i'm not much of a "sipper". Different strokes. I did do some leakage testing myself, and oh yeah it forsure comes from everywhere, so the air path isn't as fresh as I thought with the one main intake. It comes from the charging port, and display screen/buttons area as well. I'm just picky, and it's just not good enough for me.

And I burned myself on a hot stem! :lol: I'm sure i'd break all of these stems like I have in the past. I'm sure it will go to a good home and to someone that appreciates it fully! I know it's an awesome vape, but just not for me (like almost all vapes!). :mental:
At least try it before you sell? Nothing to lose ... it hits surprisingly hard, I don't really use this as a sipper often, it surprises me with how strong it is.

Plug up the charging port and tape over the display ;)

TDB

Please, just how did we "fix the issue (if it occurs) as easily as we have been able to for Solo I and Air". That is what did we do? I sure don't recall that.......and I think I was there (or is it here?). TIA.

I am speaking of adding the Orange O-Rings that many had to add to both the Solo I and Air. I can't find my old post in this thread but I am pretty sure I posted this information earlier?? Anyways, there were issues where the stems easily fell out (even when not used as a handle) ;)

2 large Orange O-Rings for the Air and 1 small Orange O-Ring for the Solo I would solve the issue. The Solo II appears to not have a way to easily add such items.

5n0I0bk.jpg

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I just received my Solo 2 today it's been on the charge awhile. Later I will try it out after it's been on the charge for 8 hours.

I emailed Kevin at Arizer regarding the Solo 2s airpath.
This was his response. I'm sure he wouldnt mind me sharing this.

Thank you for your email.

We have carefully sourced our parts from all over the world and have gone to great lengths to source and use only safe quality parts, from glass to silica free ceramics, there are no glues, pcb's are lead free, no components contain mercury, all accessories are medical/food grade and temperature rated. All structure materials used inside are of safe non-toxic materials and are heat rated to temperatures much higher then the maximum operating temperature. Also, we perform comprehensive testing on all of our products and components to ensure they are completely safe for use by us, our friends, family, and consumers alike.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Kevin
Arizer Tech
service@arizer

For some folks maybe they would feel more comfortable with a wooden vaporizer. I'm looking forward to trying out the Solo 2. I will do several burn offs beforehand. I love the Solo OG so much, I'm hoping I like this unit just as well or maybe more. I had 3 Solo OGs one I gave away to my brother the other two I kept and use them often. I only had to send one Solo back just one time. PIU sent me a new one to replace it. Arizer makes well made vaporizers.

@TDB im not sure where you would add the o rings since the top doesn't screw off like the Solo OG? Having a tight stem is nice but I think that's why the Solo works so well because the stem doesn't fit tight. I haven't tried this one out yet but on the Solo OG I didn't think it was a flaw. It gave you that great flavor and huge vapor clouds rocking the stem. Arizer made the Solo OG's stem that way on purpose.

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
I just received my Solo 2 today it's been on the charge awhile. Later I will try it out after it's been on the charge for 8 hours.

I emailed Kevin at Arizer regarding the Solo 2s airpath.
This was his response. I'm sure he wouldnt mind me sharing this.

Thank you for your email.

We have carefully sourced our parts from all over the world and have gone to great lengths to source and use only safe quality parts, from glass to silica free ceramics, there are no glues, pcb's are lead free, no components contain mercury, all accessories are medical/food grade and temperature rated. All structure materials used inside are of safe non-toxic materials and are heat rated to temperatures much higher then the maximum operating temperature. Also, we perform comprehensive testing on all of our products and components to ensure they are completely safe for use by us, our friends, family, and consumers alike.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Kevin
Arizer Tech
service@arizer

For some folks maybe they would feel more comfortable with a wooden vaporizer. I'm looking forward to trying out the Solo 2. I will do several burn offs beforehand. I love the Solo OG so much, I'm hoping I like this unit just as well or maybe more. I had 3 Solo OGs one I gave away to my brother the other two I kept and use them often. I only had to send one Solo back just one time. PIU sent me a new one to replace it. They are well made vaporizers.
Very very excited to hear your thoughts! I was just about to tag you because I figured yours would be arriving today. ha!

Good job doing full 8 hours ... I'm too impatient. At least I fully charged it ... more than I can say about my Air!

Thanks a lot for the safety check. Makes me feel good :)

biohacker

Good job doing full 8 hours ... I'm too impatient. At least I fully charged it ... more than I can say about my Air!

Charging it more than "full" is probably as ridiculous as it is to do more than only 1 burnoff :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot for the safety check. Makes me feel good :)

And did you think Arizer would say otherwise? ;)

Last edited:
biohacker,

biohacker

:rofl:Thanks bro, you give me hope! ;)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 – 1860)

The full charge was suggested by @OF. He knows what he's talking about.

Thanks for the tip :rolleyes:

Last edited:

OF

I am speaking of adding the Orange O-Rings that many had to add to both the Solo I and Air.

2 large Orange O-Rings for the Air and 1 small Orange O-Ring for the Solo I would solve the issue. The Solo II appears to not have a way to easily add such items.

Thanks. I guess I got lost somewhere on the 'had to do this' part, what was the problem?

I understand the idea of the o-ring in the original Solo mod, but stem rotation is not a problem in Air or Solo 2, right? For sure you want to be careful there as the bottom tabs break if you don't.

I don't see any problems off hand with Air or Solo 2 (although stacking rings could be fun.....) but don't understand why this is necessary. Unlike that misbehaving bent stem getting all confused by gravity and all. Aggravating on the original Solo but not a problem I've heard or experienced with Air.

Food for thought, thanks again.

OF

OF

They should add a left/right button for 10 degree increments or add that in now if possible

Isn't it already a feature? Tap the button and it goes up or down a single degree, hold it a bit and it takes 10 degree steps one after the other. Left and right controls is not really an option, this is not a 'joystick' configuration, there are only 3 switches on the board below to do sensing with:
toJOaHI.jpg

OF

Top Bottom