Arizer Solo II

biohacker

I didn't really get the smell to go away until I put a bowl or 2 of herb through it. I see it like a nail ... Gotta get that layer of buildup before the flaves really come out.

True, but the smell/taste is only going away because it's being "masked". Whatever is producing those fumes is still there, just not as detectable. I guess the same could be said for the plastic from the S&B portables, I just hate inhaling unnatural chemicals into my lungs, especially after discovering plant growth regulators and other nasties that could be found in herb. I'm a health freak, but like everything I suppose the poison is in the dose.

Little Bill

Oldest stoner on FC
Didn't you notice a similar 'hurtle to clear' in your early vaping experience? The effect is, I think, widely accepted? I believe it's 'first cousin' to the strange effect that most guys don't really get off the first time the smoke pot, it's a new experience.
OF

No @OF I was fortunate that my first vaporizing session was amazing. Of course the Crafty is pretty easy for a first timer. I had no hurtle (hurdle) to clear.

My advice for a Solo 2 session was really just a description of how I use it and why I find it so effective. :myday:

OF

I got the Solo 2 for this exact reason. It's nice to chill on a fat bowl for 20 minutes sometimes.
______
I didn't really get the smell to go away until I put a bowl or 2 of herb through it. I see it like a nail ... Gotta get that layer of buildup before the flaves really come out.

I agree with that use of Solo (kick back and enjoy) and will take your word on the ability to consume huge volumes in a single bound. I'm a sipper, the clouds are all yours, the ones you can catch and the ones you can only chase. Glad, but not all that surprised that Solo does well in that roll when pressed.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean about smell/taste WRT nails (not being a user....) but I think I follow and agree. As soon as the surfaces get coated, even very thinly, with condensate all you really have is a condensate 'flavored' vapor path. Sort of like a coat of paint. What's under it doesn't matter. Same thing happens in traditional tobacco pipes. A bigger factor in some vapes than others I think, but very real.

Fun stuff.

Regards to all.

OF

AJS

Calm Consistency
As soon as the surfaces get coated, even very thinly, with condensate all you really have is a condensate 'flavored' vapor path. Sort of like a coat of paint. What's under it doesn't matter. Same thing happens in traditional tobacco pipes. A bigger factor in some vapes than others I think, but very real.
Yep exactly. That coating seems to be enough to stop any negative stuff from escaping. Maybe it's all in my head, but the paint analogy was nice and I can see that being a thing in tobacco pipe.

WRT nails: I believe it's Ti ... a few dabs are needed to add a layer of coating to break it in ... I believe they call it christening?

Sort of like a cooking pan. You need to cook on it a for a while and eventually the oils add up to make a sorta natural nonstick pan.

biohacker

As soon as the surfaces get coated, even very thinly, with condensate all you really have is a condensate 'flavored' vapor path.

Unless, of course, the fumes are not coming from what's being "painted", but rather from "within" ie, plastic sheathing on wires, solder, PCB, etc? I had a massive issue with this with the EVO as well, especially when used inverted.

I'm sure you remember way back in the day when the Solo was first released, and had serious issues with "robot fart" fumes? This is sort of like that, but not as severe, however I probably do have a better sense of smell than others, although I can taste it as well.

biohacker

Very good call man. I got no argument for that other than hoping that's not the case :)

Well, with all the talk about intake air "leaks" recently, it's something to consider. I mean, we all have fucked combustion for a reason, let's hope that we aren't causing ourselves more harm, by trading some gasses, for others. Then again, most of us (unless you grow yourself) don't really know exactly what we are inhaling with the herbs anyway. Even licensed growers here in Canada are being caught using chemicals they aren't supposed to.

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Well, with all the talk about intake air "leaks" recently, it's something to consider. I mean, we all have fucked combustion for a reason, let's hope that we aren't causing ourselves more harm, by trading some gasses, for others. Then again, most of us (unless you grow yourself) don't really know exactly what we are inhaling with the herbs anyway. Even licensed growers here in Canada are being caught using chemicals they aren't supposed to.
Have you vaped any weed through the solo 2 yet? I know you mentioned you were on a break for a while. :shrug:

Custom Flower Hardware,
Reactions: radiant34

JCharles

FC 06/06/2017 | ACMPR 26/07/2017
Hi!! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

I received my Solo II from planetvape on June 2 and couldn't be happier. They included the 14mm and 18mm gong adapters.

I started with my PVHES Turbo stem but have gone back to the Arizer 90mm and Arizer bent stem. With the improved air flow I was looking for bigger clouds and the Turbo seemed to dilute the air to much.

Compared to the OG Solo this is a major improvement for me. Loving the faster heat time and more compact size.

Generally start a session at 198, then bump to 205 and finally 212. Obviously flavour diminishes with the higher heats but it's not to harsh for me.

I'm converting from long time cigarette and cannabis smoker to pure vape life. Quit cigarettes in May and joints in June.

I started vaping 3 years ago with an Arizer Solo and a V Tower but they never satisfied what I was looking for. I probably didn't give them enough of a chance.

Last edited:

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Negative, just been continuing to use it phantom! :lol: Which is why i'm noticing this. I wonder how much "burn off" cycles it will take? I've swabbed with ISO as well.
I can't recommend running a vape dry like that more then once. Consider a maxed out empty kitchen oven. Turn it to 428 and keep it on. (Multiple times?) Shit will smell quite different. These devices aren't designed to be ran empty. Which maybe is why you're getting robot stink? Just my :2c:

biohacker

I can't recommend running a vape dry like that more then once. Consider a maxed out empty kitchen oven. Turn it to 428 and keep it on. (Multiple times?) Shit will smell quite different. These devices aren't designed to be ran empty. Which maybe is why you're getting robot stink? Just my :2c:

Interesting perspective! It's something i've noticed on the over dozen Solo's i've own in the past, and at some point turns into the smell of "heat" if that makes sense. I actually think it has more to do with the stainless bowl, and perhaps i'm sensitive to these "metallic" odours/tastes. Kinda like how arizer says if you use a stainless screen it will negatively affect the taste and cause harsher vapour :D

BigJr48

Hi!! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

I received my Solo II from planetvape on June 2 and couldn't be happier. They included the 14mm and 18mm gong adapters.

I started with my PVHES Turbo stem but have gone back to the Arizer 90mm and Arizer bent stem. With the improved air flow I was looking for bigger clouds and the Turbo seemed to dilute the air to much.

Compared to the OG Solo this is a major improvement for me. Loving the faster heat time and more compact size.

Generally start a session at 198, then bump to 205 and finally 212. Obviously flavour diminishes with the higher heats but it's not to harsh for me.

I'm converting from long time cigarette and cannabis smoker to pure vape life. Quit cigarettes in May and joints in June.

I started vaping 3 years ago with an Arizer Solo and a V Tower but they never satisfied what I was looking for. I probably didn't give them enough of a chance.

Congrats on quiting cigarettes!!!:tup:

whatitdew

Vapes R Great

Man all the shitty unflushed Biker weed I smoked through my youth, making pipes out of friggin pop cans or bottles. Shit like that before I got older and knew better could of been the reason I got this fucking Lymphoma I think..
But you can't dwell on the ifs and maybes.

Anyways, had to take it easy on my SoloII as my throats has been getting a bit sore lately. Chasing the high temps has been getting to me haha. I've been too impatient for the 15 long sessions. Been hitting the Mighty more. The two together is a wicked big boy portable combo. Already the Mighty slightly annoys me since th battery can't last two full days like the Solo!

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Man all the shitty unflushed Biker weed I smoked through my youth, making pipes out of friggin pop cans or bottles. Shit like that before I got older and knew better could of been the reason I got this fucking Lymphoma I think..

Anyways, had to take it easy on my SoloII as my throats has been getting a bit sore lately. Chasing the high temps has been getting to me haha. I've been too impatient for the 15 long sessions. Been hitting the Mighty more. The two together is a wicked big boy portable combo. Already the Mighty slightly annoys me since th battery can't last two full days like the Solo!
bro I'm a high temper too. I would get a mini rig (I use an incycler) and pump it through water all the time. Something that small doesn't compromise flavor too much but your lungs won't cook at all.:tup:

biohacker

I'm not sure if you're referring to the fumes I was referring to in the Solo II or the plant growth regulators. I can't prove the former, but the latter is proven to cause cancer, liver damage, and infertility. I'm specifically referring to the two active ingredients of concern in the cannabis world if anyone even cares - paclobutrazol and daminozide. These additives are approved for plants not destined for consumption, and are dangerous in high doses, however have untold effects at low, chronic amounts long term. Again, the poison is in the dose, but people should be at least aware. Even the canadian government approved licensed producers have been caught using some not so healthy chemicals in their product, you can only imagine what unregulated dispensary growers do.

The fumes in the Solo II, might not be any better, which is why an isolated airpath is so important, which the Solo II does not seem to have, just like the original Solo. I believe the new intake on the Solo II helps matters, but I think that the path of least resistance was already talked about here:

There is no attempt at a seal, no tape, foam or anything. More over there are other areas that can and do 'leak' (like the two holes the rods come through and gaps between the chassis and tube wall all around.

The fact that the path past the electronics is not near the normal intake makes it worse, right? This is not a 'path of least resistance' game, but rather 'it comes from everywhere possible'? That's the way currents work, be they electrical, in water, in air masses or vapes. To stop the flow you need to seal the leak, not make more leaks elsewhere. The best you can do that way is lessen it, not eliminate it. Diminishing returns.

For those who fear 'electronics fumes', for whatever reason, reduction is not a cure. The demand 'no possibility'. For those of us who don't see the risk......there's no need for concerns to start with.

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place

Yeah it always makes me laugh when people post about doing hours and hours of empty burn offs and wondering why their vape smells or tastes bad when heated... it's kinda like one of those "well what do you expect" moments. It was funny in the early Solo thread and the Vapir No2 thread where one person posted about doing burn offs for days and then jumping on the products like they were at fault.

TDB

So is the stem supposed to be loose once it's fitted? I do have to press firmly to get it to pop in, but once it it will jiggle around a bit. Is this normal or what?

My Solo I and Air both needed firm pressure to insert a stem in the beginning but after a couple hundred sessions they started to wiggle and jiggle AND eventually got so loose that a stem would easily fall out. Well, my Solo II has already began to have the stems wiggle slightly so in a previous post I mentioned that I am expecting the same thing to eventually occur.

Unfortunately, it does not look as though we will be able to fix the issue (if it occurs) as easily as we have been able to for Solo I and Air. @OF did you see any possible solutions when you took Solo II apart?

Last edited:

rotero

My Solo I and Air both needed firm pressure to insert a stem in the beginning but after a couple hundred sessions they started to wiggle and jiggle AND eventually got so loose that a stem would easily fall out. Well, my Solo II has already began to have the stems wiggle slightly so in a previous post I mentioned that I am expecting the same thing to eventually occur. Unfortunately, it does not look as though we will be able to fix the issue (if it occurs) as easily as we did on Solo I and Air. @OF did you see any possible solutions when you took yours apart?

Wow, that's concerning. I have had mine for two days with barely any use and I have loose and wiggly stems.

blackstone

I got an email about a Summer Solstice sale from Arizer, it's only $10 off when you spend over $100. But more interestingly they now offer "NEW Free Worldwide Shipping" (on orders over $200) And they now seem to have set everything in Canada Dollar, where it was USD before in my region.

The free WW shipping on $200 orders is good and it means they must be adjusting to remain competitive or else they read all my whining on here around 4/20!!
It's a slight shame they didn't have this in place at 4/20, cause I went and bought something else that I'm happy with and as I still have a Solo one, there's not quite enough in this to make me sell my newest purchase.

I may still aim for one of these one day by selling my Solo one maybe, and it's very competitive to buyers for what it appears to offer by all accounts.

Interesting perspective! It's something i've noticed on the over dozen Solo's i've own in the past, and at some point turns into the smell of "heat" if that makes sense. I actually think it has more to do with the stainless bowl, and perhaps i'm sensitive to these "metallic" odours/tastes. Kinda like how arizer says if you use a stainless screen it will negatively affect the taste and cause harsher vapour :D

I've always noticed the slight metallic tinge from the bowl of my Solo one, but it didn't bother me as I knew it's probably very good stainless?
I had an unpleasant tinge from a chinese clone vape bowl once and I could almost taste the lead in it or other undesirable notes!

EDIT- There is also an odor around the top of an old Solo, in use and also not in use, and some call it funky or earthy, don't know if it comes from the stray vapor expanding, the teflon ring, or the resin type heater casing.
But it's well known.
Only recently I heard the suggestions about the airpath being non isolated in Solo one, so who knows where my tastes and smells were coming from.
It would be nice if the new one got all it's air from that rear inlet, but I did wonder what would happen if you, or a friend, blocked it by accident.

(sorry for edit, i fucked up!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom