Arizer Solo II

OF

It arrives with a charge but it's highly recommended to fully charge it before first use.
Yea I figured it would be mostly charged. I just want to know approximately how long I will have to charge it for before it's full.

This comes up a lot. The best advice starts, I think, with the above. "Charge it up before you use or play with it". That means don't heat, charge.

And the first time only 'overcharge' a minimum of 4 hours. That means leave it plugged in anyway after it thinks it's done. One time only. This takes advantage of the 'trickle charge' current (for instance how it 'unlocks' a locked out pack) to ensure the maximum possible charge is put on each of the two cells in the pack. This only counts the first charge (actually the first discharge......), once a heavy draw (like heating) happens this opportunity is lost.

My advice, unpopular is it is, is to 'charge overnight before the initial use'. Tough to wait a few more hours but hopefully you'll be enjoying that battery for a long time to come and it's capacity will only go down from here out.

Your call, of course, but IMO it's good insurance against second guessing yourself a year or two down the road?

OF

Edit: One other point worth mentioning is the ideal storage charge is about 70% (which will degrade very slowly with time). Fully charged storage shortens battery life (especially at elevated temperatures), it's not a good sign when you get one 'fully charged' nor below say 50%?

One other point, for longest possible battery life avoid fully charging if/when you can. Cutting 10% off the 'top of the charge' will DOUBLE your battery life (from a nominal 300 'cycles' to 600), not many sessions per charge (not even a full one with Solo I) to double the number of recharges before replacement? Easy call for me.

Do it again, stop at 4.0 nominal instead of 4.2 per cell (20% 'early') and it doubles again. Yes, 1200 cycles under the same condition. One a day, every day, for how long?

OF

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
MJet3PE.jpg

Before I get into the sesh, first thing to note is this thing is short like the Air plastic tip stem, except it's all glass with a similar flat mouthpiece and no glass screen with the 4 holes. Instead it's just an "ice catcher" type deal except it catches the screen. It came basket style, dome facing towards the catcher and bowl facing up to pack. Very odd way when considering that the herb in the basket will be getting cooked by the basket instead of the glass walls itself ... maybe it needs to be flipped to dome. Anyway ... this basket setup means the airflow is virtually completely unrestricted. The Grasshopper can't even close to keep up and it's not far behind the open flow of the Milaana. It feels weird having this much airflow. Despite this ... hits were resinous on the low temp and huge on the high temps even when I pulled nearly as fast as I possibly could.

Anyway ...

Packed a fat bowl and started on 320 to see how that goes. I've never been this low before. The first few hits were so overwhelmingly flavorful it was difficult to continue on this temp. Was just so resinous and thick with terpenes it was almost gross lol. Still got vapor on this temp.

Bumped it up to 355 enjoyed flavor some more while having some nice full bodied clouds. Bumped it up to 395 and this is where it started feeling hot. The clouds were absolutely enormous ... not necessarily harsh or hot, but can definitely feel the warmth here. Coughing easily achievable unfortunately.

15 minutes timer went off at 395 ... turned her back on, couple more hits at 395 until I bump to 410 to finish.

Abv looks nice. You can see towards the top it's darker ... That was the top of the bowl ... maybe I packed too large.
IBgP6w7.jpg
I like the look of the SOLO II!
It seems like it's different to the 1?

Do I get a second SOLO?

I love your report @AJS , you give me VAS!

AJS

Calm Consistency
I like the look of the SOLO II!
It seems like it's different to the 1?

Do I get a second SOLO?

I love your report @AJS , you give me VAS!
It's a bit different ... sleeker for sure. Same heater chamber n stem system tho, just a cute display for your temp.

Yes you do get a second Solo.

Glad my report was adequate.

Embrace the vas. Living in fear is strictly inhibitory ... evolve. Expand.

BigJr48

Yea I figured it would be mostly charged. I just want to know approximately how long I will have to charge it for before it's full.
About 2 hours but leave it on for a extra hour so that the battery
It's a bit different ... sleeker for sure. Same heater chamber n stem system tho, just a cute display for your temp.

Yes you do get a second Solo.

Glad my report was adequate.

Embrace the vas. Living in fear is strictly inhibitory ... evolve. Expand.
@AJS, I'm looking for glass, where can I buy that bubbler?

BigJr48,
Reactions: ataxian

exime

Can someone check the Solo2 manual and see if it says to charge the batteries before use? I'm skeptical about having to charge Lithium before use. I know NicD is a memory loss battery and required full charge and discharge cycles and that Lithium likes to avoid extremes and stay somewhere in the middle (40-80%). I believe in battery rituals yes especially for NiCd but this one doesn't pass the smell test.

Last edited:

OF

Can someone check the Solo2 manual and see if it says to charge the batteries before use? I'm skeptical about having to charge Lithium before use. I know NicD is a memory loss battery and required full charge and discharge cycles and that Lithium likes to avoid extremes and stay somewhere in the middle (40-80%). I believe in battery rituals yes especially for NiCd but this one doesn't pass the smell test.

You might want to check into this, it gets discussed a lot. Those vape manuals that mention what to do seem to repeat this idea (fully charge before first use). One could argue that the guys that want to sell you the next vape, or replacement batteries at least might not be all that prone to telling you such stuff? Not the sort of stuff Sales types favor. The other day I ran across a Dealer who listed it as 'across the board advice'.

This is not a 'memory effect' at all, as happens in NiCds (and to some extent some Lead/Acid systems). It has to do with how much material is available for use at the anode or cathode (it's limited by one or the other, I think cathode, but it doesn't matter which?).

You can find some of the technology behind this at one of my favorite sites to quote, Battery University. You might start here:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Sorry it doesn't 'smell right' to you but I think it really is sound advice. Experience with other cell chemistries is not all that useful with these guys. One of the reasons they build protection PCBs into the battery?

Let me ask it the other way around, do you have a reference that says it's OK to ignore such advice? Arizer (or anyone else for that matter) not repeating that advice doesn't count. TIA

OF

exime

You might want to check into this, it gets discussed a lot. Those vape manuals that mention what to do seem to repeat this idea (fully charge before first use). One could argue that the guys that want to sell you the next vape, or replacement batteries at least might not be all that prone to telling you such stuff? Not the sort of stuff Sales types favor. The other day I ran across a Dealer who listed it as 'across the board advice'.

This is not a 'memory effect' at all, as happens in NiCds (and to some extent some Lead/Acid systems). It has to do with how much material is available for use at the anode or cathode (it's limited by one or the other, I think cathode, but it doesn't matter which?).

You can find some of the technology behind this at one of my favorite sites to quote, Battery University. You might start here:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Sorry it doesn't 'smell right' to you but I think it really is sound advice. Experience with other cell chemistries is not all that useful with these guys. One of the reasons they build protection PCBs into the battery?

Let me ask it the other way around, do you have a reference that says it's OK to ignore such advice? Arizer (or anyone else for that matter) not repeating that advice doesn't count. TIA

OF

I never assume I'm right or wrong with this battery stuff. I realize chemistry is over my head so I just try to make the best I can of a complicated subject. It is interesting though.

Anyway, I just went to the website and it says:

"
Priming a New Battery
Not all rechargeable batteries deliver the rated capacity when new, and they require formatting. While this applies to most battery systems, manufacturers of lithium-ion batteries disagree. They say that Li-ion is ready at birth and does not need priming. Although this may be true, users have reported some capacity gains by cycling after a long storage.
"

"Lithium-ion is a very clean system that does not need additional priming once it leaves the factory, nor does it require the level of maintenance that nickel-based batteries do. Additional formatting makes little difference because the maximum capacity is available right from the beginning, (the exception may be a small capacity gain after a long storage). A full discharge does not improve the capacity once the battery has faded — a low capacity signals the end of life. A discharge/charge may calibrate a “smart” battery but this does little to improve the chemical battery. (See BU-601: Inner Working of a Smart Battery.) Instructions recommending charging a new Li-ion for 8 hours are written off as “old school,” a left-over from the old nickel battery days."

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prime_batteries

Aren't they saying here that it does NOT need a birth charge?

BigJr48

Yep! Got it from the seller sunshinestore. He's very reputable. Yingmin5 also sells one that's an inch taller with a side mouthpiece and the perc seems a tad more bubbly .. my friend has it.

Do you have a direct link to Yinmin5?

gama

Hey all - current Air user that's getting a Solo 2 once PuffItUp has stock (love working with Randy!).

How much of an improvement is the Solo 2 compared to an Air? I've been reading great things but would love an opinion from someone who switched from the Air to the Solo 2. Thanks!

In My opinion, the 2 is better than the Air in every respect except SIZE. If you need that compact size, the AIR is the one. On the other hand I will quickly run thru a few things that are improved on the Solo2. Battery life, (WOW!), heat up time (another WOW!), Buttons and ease of turn on and off, (more user friendly), Adjust heat accurately and in one degree increments, Better air flow, (Less restricted), Stems fit better, (they really do), Protective cap actually stays on, (lost my Air cover about the third day). Just to name a few things.:)

jdent3

The manual does not say anywhere about charging before use so I would say your probably fine. I decided to charge mine just to be safe. Right now my battery indicator is full but the red light is still there on the charger. I don't know if its fully charged or not. Is there some type of change or indicator when the battery is full charged?

jdent3,
Reactions: BigJr48

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
1ounce every couple of days yet your Solo is still working ... get outta here!!!

Bread allergies kill a lot of people. Fuck bread ...
My nature is not free. I pay 12% of my income to breathe America's oxygen.

r0ez3Ih.jpg

Got my 3D flow booster stem. The screen is funky, will see how it performs here in a sec. It is MUCH smaller than I thought. If it cools as much as the other stems I'll be impressed but I remain skeptical until I try this in the next 10 minutes or so.
The quality is superb. The glass holes are gone so airflow should be great. Not a notch out of place, looks wonderful. New stems are always so goddam shiny.
I can't eat bread?

Just had GSC and ready for a early dinner!

jdent3

Loving my Solo 2 so far. It's way better than the Solo or Air which I've owned before. Airflow is a lot better, heats up super quick and gives big hits. I hooked it up to my cloud evo hydratube and set it to 220C and it milked it like crazy and the heater kept up with pretty fast hits. Maybe I'll post a video later. I think I like it more than my mighty so far because it has better flavor and gives similar size hits

Unfortunately the 14mm gong that Planetvape sent me doesn't fit no matter what I do. The Arizer stems and the 18mm gong from Planetvape all fit perfect so I may have gotten a defective gong. I've tried it warm and cold and the gong will not go in fully.

Top Bottom