Are cannabis smokers not aware of vaporizing?

rotax

Zaporist
...or do the they just "prefer" smoke?

I read some posts on other mj related forums and some people really seem to have NFC in regards to vaporizers and there efficiency/effectiveness.

I've talked to some who just prefer the bong, and wouldn't use/want a vape even if they were given one.
Which is fine, I'm not really anti smoker or anything.

But I often wonder the statistics for those who have even heard of the notion.

The world should know about these clean[er] administration methods for cannabis.
It would better the image of cannabis users in general I believe...and help legalization pushes as well.
If cannabis use wasn't strictly related to SMOKING (as it appears to be displayed in the "majorities" eyes)...I think that it would help its appearance greatly.

Maybe I'm just thinking too logically atm..that can happen when one vapes.. :ninja:

rotax,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Ive noticed that with a good portion of smokers, and it usually takes me 2-3 sessions before they actually 'get it'

Most of them like the instant gratification that you get with smoking - No real learning curve, no 'delayed high', the time it takes to pack and smoke etc.

I like to make the contrast of fucking vs making love.
Smoking - quick, to the point, gets you from zero to stoned relatively quickly, its what you know (so the shit taste is 'normal_
Vaping - takes a little more time, its that time to ENJOY your weed (i.e. taste, experience) and the 'delayed high' gets em every time. They usually come back to me days later and say "Damn, I was trashed that night" and then the interest begins to develop even more.

Im still marveled at the fact of when I am halfway through my second/third bowl/stem I realize how fucked up I am already. And I have enjoyed the entire experience from beginning to end :)

AGBeer,

vapirtoo

Hey folks it just may be a more ( should I say it ) "MATURE" high. :/
Smoking is like that peeky Jap in-line four rush while vaping is more torque
V-twin Harley/Ducati type rush. Both get you to your destination, it's all a matter of
knowledge and preference.
To answer your query, I feel that most MJ smokers are either not aware or
not impressed about vaping. :2c:

vapirtoo,

stinkmeaner

Sadly most in my home town area just don't give a crap about vaporizing, they might use take a hit off one, especially the bag vapes if it is the first time seeing one in person, but in the end most in my area are not ready no give it a fair shot. :( They think of it like people think of Diet Soda.

stinkmeaner,
stinkmeaner said:
Sadly mnot ready no give it a fair shot. :( They think of it like people think of Diet Soda.
diet soda scares me :uhoh: aspartamekills.com msgtruth.orgDonald Rumsfeld, In June 1977, he became Chief Executive Officer of G. D. Searle & Co., a worldwide pharmaceutical company, where he served until 1985. The turnaround there earned him awards as the Outstanding Chief Executive Officer in the Pharmaceutical Industry in 1980 and 1981

He along with Robert Shapiro are solely responsible for using their political muscle and graft to buy off the FDA and get NutraSweet approved and are responsible for the death and disease caused.

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

rotax

Zaporist
stinkmeaner said:
They think of it like people think of Diet Soda.

Well, I think negatively of diet soda myself. :p

So, maybe that's my answer, and a way to explain it indeed.
You either like the taste, feel, and side-effects of diet...or you don't.
Hmmm...

I spose its partially tough to promote an item that is 'used' in the consumption of a semi-illegal herb..
Its honestly too bad. I'd think it would or could be pushed more so by dispensaries.

rotax,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
I imagine a lot has to do with age, if your a MMJ patient, and your interest in the plant itself. I know in my experience I had no idea what a vaporizer was until I searched for a question about edibles online and saw a few advertisements on a similar forum. In high school I wasnt concerned with the health benefits, I smoked out of an apple just like most of us have. Obviously the unfortunate people who require cannabis for medical reasons will be introduced to them right away. Mainly I have people who find the innovation intriguing but not worth the effort, my "supplier" bought my old Iolite but admitted he rarely uses it because it's too involved. For me it only took one vapor hit and I was sold.

AgentofChaos,

stinkmeaner

Bad analogy I know, I guess it would have been better to "Lite" or "Lowfat" as an example.

stinkmeaner,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I think most of them clearly like to just waste their weed by burning it and all the thc off. Frankly, I have a very low tolerance for people who prefer to smoke over vape, since they never have a reasonable good answer as to why they prefer it. It's dirty, stinky, unhealthy, wasteful. It's every weed shouldn't be, and I think of a bong as a "diet" soda or version of getting high since it's more smoke that you don't want and less good stuff to actually get you high, plus you waste a lot more quicker. That seems like the "lite" version of getting high to me.

We all know that vaping lets you achieve levels of high smoking cannot, since smoking pot simply doesn't make you that high... at least not off of the pot. :lol:

aesthyrian,

Beezleb

Vaping does not appeal to everybody and not everyone agrees the high is better. Its a subjective thing. I find it amusingly sad when I see people who view negatively on the preferences of others.

I came to vaping due to health reasons. I was aware of it a long time ago but I knew it was expensive and rare and I never looked into it.

I think a persons perception also might be affected by how they were introduced to vapes. I see sometimes see people who share negative uninformed views in my opinion on vaping and largely I see similarities that they think its too expensive, and poor performance for most models and at one time this was somewhat true. The strides the industry as whole as made in producing quality and affordable vaporizer is at an all time high though I realize affordable is also subjective.

The main issue I have gotten from people I think is that it takes longer to vape compared to burning a quick bowl but I havent seen this dissuade people. In reality many people I know who vape due to both depending on situation.

Beezleb,

He-Man

Prince
Of course not to forget that Joint has sort of cult status, and lots of young consumers are doing it for coolnes factor :cool:

He-Man,

Beezleb

In all my life I have never met anyone smoke weed to look cool but the world is large place.

Beezleb,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
GF smokes. Has an Iolite, but rarely uses it.

She came over last night, bringing along her 2 dogs, with the intention that we would sit back and watch movies, eat and smoke (her)/vape (me). Once every hour or so, she would roll a joint using about 1/2g. I loaded about 0.2g into the Extreme, and it would take me a few hours to work my way through it. 0.5g did me for the whole evening. She burned through about 3g?

So, GF is aware of vaping, sees me doing and enjoying it, knows it's more efficient, and can see me not coughing, but....it's not for her for some reason.

I've also got a relative who enjoys cannabis, and has used my Launch Box and SSV, but doesn't vape (unless around me or at my house) because of an inability to plunk down some $$$ on a vape.

Bunch of different reasons why people don't vape. As to why I didn't vape before Dec/09? I just wasn't aware of it, and thought that vaporizers were overpriced, useless snake oil.

Just my paltry 2 Cdn cents :)

Tom

tdavie,

Pappy

shmaporist
Personally, I don't think the word is out! I see vaporizing as an outgrowth of the medical marijuana movement and in many states it isn't reality yet. Cost is another factor. After investing $400 in a z a lot of people don't have the extra $ for a vape. Old habits (smoking) die hard. Who wants to invest cash in an experiment? Lastly, there's the learning curve. GrassCity has 300,000 member. FC has 3000. :2c: :peace:

Pappy,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
The cost argument makes no sense to me. When I decided to get a vaporizer I knew they could be pretty expensive but I also knew that the efficiency gain would pay back the price almost immediately. For example, I get a minimum of 3x efficiency out of my Extreme (tdavie is describing 6x in his post) and a lot better than that with my LB. If I was paying $300/oz that's $600 back from the first oz, the price of a Volcano.

I realize it can be a cash-flow issue for some, but frankly I'm convinced that anyone who stays away from vaporizing because of the cost is in need of some education.

pakalolo,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
pakalolo said:
The cost argument makes no sense to me. When I decided to get a vaporizer I knew they could be pretty expensive but I also knew that the efficiency gain would pay back the price almost immediately. For example, I get a minimum of 3x efficiency out of my Extreme (tdavie is describing 6x in his post) and a lot better than that with my LB. If I was paying $300/oz that's $600 back from the first oz, the price of a Volcano.

I realize it can be a cash-flow issue for some, but frankly I'm convinced that anyone who stays away from vaporizing because of the cost is in need of some education.

I agree. It can be a somewhat expensive initial investment, but it more than pays for itself very quickly. I have noticed I am conserving even more herb now exclusively using the Launch Box.

Vicki,

Pappy

shmaporist
pakalolo said:
Agreed! But everyone gets their own (vaping) mileage. Personally, my savings due to vaping is negligible - 20 - 30%. A joint and a half (1.3g) versus 3 vapor bowls (1g).
But a hedonist like me doesn't vape for efficiency alone, I vape for pleasure and my health... And to join in the discussions @FC! ;)

Pappy,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Yes but -

Are you counting your return that you get with your ABV?
Or at least what you COULD get in return (if you dont save it)

AGBeer,

Beezleb

It is out right wrong to say to people that you will save using a vaporizer. For some this true and for some it is not.

I suggest if your looking at vaporizing look at those who consume at similar intervals as you do and see what their usage is. While I can get more distance it is typical consumed as in a longer session.

I go through similar amounts as did when smoking and this is also pretty much in my experience with those I introduce vaporizing too. Now as pointed out their are other ways to look at efficiency in vaporizing such as reusing your abv and depending on your vaporizer you may have the delicacy of wand hash.

Dont get caught up in the capabilities of a tool. It depends on the user and if your habits are little use than it will likely remain that way but if your using a lot it will likely continue.

Thats my view on the issue.

Beezleb,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
pakalolo said:

I agree that using cost as an argument does not make sense, if you accept the economics behind vaporizing. For example, GF definitely does not believe that vaporizing is more efficient, but when she sees me getting as 'mellowed out' as her, and on far less, she's almost at the point of unbelief. She understands the science behind it (was an RN of some kind until forced into medical retirement), but has only heard of vaporizers from one person, or seen one person use them (me). Unfortunately, I screwed up trying to teach her how to use the Launch Box, having only had it for 2 days....

Trying to spread the word, one vape at a time.

Tom

tdavie,

vapirtoo

O.K. people
I can't see anyone using the same amount vaping as they did smoking. :2c:
I know there are some monsterous get high folks who would put me in
the nut house if I consumed as much as they did! :ko:
All of my homies (4 vaporizers) have saved money by vaping.
Some still combust occasionally, but all agree that the savings are real.
Oh yeah all of the homies are 58 years old and have been getting high
since 1969. :cool:

vapirtoo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Well, I think that Beezleb has a good point, some people won't realize much savings from efficiency. In general, though, I think most people do get more efficient and it's just a matter of degree.

Pappy, those are interesting numbers. As soon as I started reading FC, I was impressed by the number of posters who knew exactly how much was in a bowl or a roll. I'd not been exposed to medical users before, and neither me nor my friends were ever weight-obsessed. I have no idea how much a joint or a trench or a bowl is, but I do know that your numbers mean that you're used to rolling about double the size of what I rolled. That's about 22 jays/oz, I was getting about 40-50. One of those would get both me and the wife pretty happy. If I smoked alone I almost always smoked half.

pakalolo,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Yeah most ppl I know still smoke out of ignorance. There are some people who have tried vaporizing with crappy vapes before so they think it sucks until they try a real vape. There are some ppl who cant see past the initial buy-in price for a good vape, they'd rather buy an ounce of herb and smoke it up than buy a vape. In my town, i'd be surprised to find anyone else whos a vaporist, aside from the few that i've converted.

it will probably take some more time and/or movie/tv exposure for vapes to start to get up to the level of popularity they deserve.

steiner666,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
pakalolo; I am number obsessed, by education for life, and by necessity at work. I use a balance to weigh out chemicals as little as 5 mg with about a 2% error, and I can go down to 1mg +/- 10%. Being geeky, I bought a +/- .01g balance for home use and am debating as to whether or not I could use a .001g balance. They get pricey though.

Why do I measure out the weed or ABV that carefully? Dosing for butter or other edibles. If I know what's in there, I can easily figure out how much to take, and I can give a guideline to other people who eat some of the foods I cook.

Tom

tdavie,

Pappy

shmaporist
pakalolo said:
I do know that your numbers mean that you're used to rolling about double the size of what I rolled. That's about 22 jays/oz, I was getting about 40-50. One of those would get both me and the wife pretty happy. If I smoked alone I almost always smoked half.
I said I'm a hedonist! :D I used to roll fatties, now I vape more than absolutely essential. Sometimes I vape so much I forget I'm vaping. Sometimes my senses take hold and I put the vape down. :lol:

Could I vape less? Yeah!
Do I wanna? Nah!
Do I love marijuana? Fucking A!

Pappy,
Top Bottom