Anything comparable to the Herborizer (but cheaper)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Life 7

I'm new to the whole vaporizer scene (only have used a friend's bag model) but want to preserve the health of my lungs.

I like the looks of the Herborizer--I like the all glass concept and the reviews are really good regarding taste, efficiency, etc. I'd probably go with the tube model, but I would really prefer to have the temperature control mechanism only available on the XL--if spending so much I would like the versatility.

The problem is the XL tube goes for like EU350 plus shipping--nearly $500.

I'm not sure if you can get the non-XL and get the temperature control mech separately, so maybe that would be only $400 or so.

Regardless, it's pretty damn expensive.

Does anyone have a rec for something comparable, hopefully with a temp control, but cheaper (like around $200)? Thanks.

High Life 7,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Have you looked through the threads here yet (lots of good info)?

If so, I am sure you have already come across the Extreme, Silver Surfer, VHW, Vapolution and all of those which have 'all glass' to varying degrees.

It comes down to personal preference (many PD owners/glass fans here have even learned to accept stainless steel as inert and cleanable).

Also, do not hesitate to e-mail Sebastian about your options with the Herborizer.

Hopes this helps.

If you have any particular ?'s as you research your options, please do not hesitate.

:peace:

Progress,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
hey man...this is really going to seem like a lame over drawn comment...but I have too much love(and it actually fits here)

;pd; Purple days vaporizer...need I say more :cool:

personally I use mine like a herbo....me and AofZ have rigged out PDs to homemade glass chambers...all we did was get small glass jars(baby food, spice jars...ect.) and retro fit some tubing(silicone) to the jar...making an air tight seal is crucial for the function of any inhalation device. then you add a mouth whip to the hit the vapors easily and your good to go...you now have a herboizer like vaporizer...its semi hands free but me and aofz think were savings hundreds of dollars :lol:

if you lay it down on a desk and just let the ;pd; sit on its side....all you need to do is plug in a loaded PD stem and hit the tubing coming from your glass chambers lid...becomes hands free cool!

if you can ghetto rig the unit correctly...it could be whatever you please(meaning not using the tubing to make it hands free...just make it like a mini bong)..... there is less product to hit in one hit....but trust me you get a fatty cloud...so far i have been able to cash a PD bowl in one hit with that method..

I just love all the homemade shit I can futz around with on my ;pd; (investment)

Hennessy1414,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Hennessey1414 said:
this is really going to seem like a lame over drawn comment...but I have too much love(and it actually fits here)
Not really imo.

The OP may indeed fall in love with the PD, but it's none of the things he's asking for here.

Vriptech heat wand would probably be the closest, but that's not really out yet.

vtac,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
vtac said:
Not really imo.

The OP may indeed fall in love with the PD, but it's none of the things he's asking for here.
when I use it like I described^^...it feels like the herbo.*granted i have never used the herbo* BUT from the pics i have seen of the herboizer.. the way the PD is placed on my bong, or what-not, seems to fit some similarities

but i do see your point how he wants the all glass pathway and adjustable temp control

get the VHW....seems like a better designed herbo( :2c: ) with more versatility

possibly im wrong...but of course my :2c:

Hennessy1414,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
as the person who came up with the "pd herbo" (pics later) i really dont think it would be comparable to the actual herbo, the name is mostly a play on words

pd is not comparable to any other vape, its its own category, it could find a place in his lineup but rigt now, hes looking for a more serious unit

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Progress

Henn-hey man...this is really going to seem like a lame over drawn comment...etc.
:huh:
AoZ - as the person who came up with the "pd herbo" (pics later) i really dont think it would be comparable to the actual herbo, the name is mostly a play on words
Agreed, but the PDs mouthpiece does fit nicely into a GonG down-stem :brow:
AoZ - rigt now, hes looking for a more serious unit
More serious or more glassy? It is true that the PD may not be for him though (IMO)...session size preferences, etc. play roles in such a decision
Vtac - The OP may indeed fall in love with the PD, but it's none of the things he's asking for here.
Vriptech heat wand would probably be the closest, but that's not really out yet.
Makes sense... :tup:

Progress,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
High Life 7,

Have you checked out the Silver Surfer or Da Buddha? They can be used in conjunction with a water pipe, if that is what your aiming for...

Other than the Herbo/Vriptech Heat wand, I can't think of a similiar design... the VHW should be released end of Jan, hopefully. :D

SpiralArchitect,

Beezleb

Check out the Vrip http://www.vriptech.com/product.htm

Im not sure if they still have a deal on a pre-order of their new wand but it would be cheaper. Do you have existing glass?

The herborizer also won an award at the last cannabis cup and is a very fine vape.

As stated the SSV and Da Buddha vaporizers are really great and I use the Da Buddha and want for no other.

Beezleb,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
Progress said:
Henn-hey man...this is really going to seem like a lame over drawn comment...etc
:huh:
dude i have recomended a PD to someone countless times...i have seen it as the first response to the What Vape Should I Get kinda threads too many times....i just felt i was over using the ;pd; as an idea

the PD is just the overall best

good luck on finding your knock-off herbo :) (all the choices people listed up there are :tup: )

Hennessy1414,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Skunkypete, thanks for the pics. The sequence shows off the concept clearly. It got me thinking that maybe a "stubby" version of the PD stem would make a good accessory.

hazy,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I guess there is two ways to look at this, if you want something similar to the Herbo in terms of vapor quality, take your pick: SSV, DBV, PD, Extreme, Vaporwarez etc etc. All of these use safe heating elements and are considered quality vapes. If you want something that is similar to the Herbo in that it is mostly glass pieces with all glass vapor path then the logical choice would be the Vriptech VHW. they are taking pre-orders which are 70 bucks off list price and from the last I heard, shipping by end of month. Don't quote me on that cause it was supposed to be out last month but just trying to be optimistic here. I own both, I would lump them in the same category. Herbo is more hands free and uses a ceramic stainless steel heater and all glass on glass connection. The VHW uses a ceramic heater encapsulated in glass and has built in temp control. The heat wand itself is blown with vortex like structure to get the air spinning which is supposed to help with the extraction efficiency. I can't vouch for that, but what I can say is that it works REALLY well. I prefer it over the Herbo because I'm not hands free type of guy, some people are and the Herbo is a good alternative for that. Here's a little review I posted on YT, hope this helps - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-9zVDGh85s

stonemonkey55,

Progress

if you want something similar to the Herbo in terms of vapor quality, take your pick: SSV, DBV, PD, Extreme, Vaporwarez etc etc.
Agreed (depending on acceptance of silicone tubing, interest in versatility/bags, etc.)
If you want something that is similar to the Herbo in that it is mostly glass pieces with all glass vapor path then the logical choice would be the Vriptech VHW.
I believe the Herbo actually even has the heating element exposed in the vapor path (inert SS, but...nonetheless :2c: )
Here's a little review I posted on YT, hope this helps - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-9zVDGh85s
That review/video is a great resource (IMHO). You rock SM :tup:

Progress,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
That review/video is a great resource (IMHO). You rock SM thumb
Thanks, all in all, it was a pretty fun process, learned some new video editing skills, and hopefully provide some good, relevant information. Been meaning to getting around to doing some more of these reviews for the other vapes but now that the initial fun of filming and editing is out of me, kinda feeling lazy... I actually had one prior video project (over 10 years old, I recently just found this footage) that is kinda cheesy to share but since this is a pretty cool forum yall will probably be entertained (Hennessey will get a kick out of this), check it out.... fast forward to 1:08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mlRTZPf-pU

From a seperate (but similar thread) an exchange between Max and myself

Is the wand still available for the presale price sm? What's the current minimum price for a working setup from VRIPtech if you have no glass?

Max, as far as I know, he still taking pre-orders on the VHW. if you were to do the entire set up using VRIPtech stuff then based on their website:

VHW + VCB = $150 preorder price (retail for the VHW is 170 and 50 for the shorty intake, so you get a nice 70 savings on the preorder)
VWT I - $60
S&H = 15?
Total = $225 ($295 retail)

stonemonkey55,

youdontknowme

I dunno folks, I'm very safely sold on the Herbo and can't wait to get my hands on one. They seem top shelf. I have tried the PD several times. I don't think its in the same category. No offense to its fans. The VHW is interesting but not sure its for me. I'd love to hear what others say once it goes production and more reviews show up. IMO the closest you would get would be a SSV with an ice chamber, or what about de verdamper (which I have 0 experience with)?

High Life 7: Azarius has some of the better prices I've seen on the Herbo's... let me know if you find any cheaper!

youdontknowme,

max

Out to lunch
youdontknowme said:
I have tried the PD several times. I don't think its in the same category.
Certainly it's not in the same catagory. Don't know why anyone would even mention it in this thread, but somehow I'm not really surprised. :lol: Point made Hennessy, but I don't think you'll convince High Life 7.

vtac said:

IMO you nailed it buddy. :tup:

max,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I didn?t even get to meet Krazy Bone, that was the weak part about the experience. If you notice the one scene that I am in, it just shows his hands from the POV of the camera. I did see him riding in and out of his fancy little trailer tho! The funny thing is, we were supposed to be Asian gangsters but one of the girls wasn?t even Asian. They did the good ole ?Charlie Chan? make up on her, she still looked pretty good tho.

Back on topic, someone mentioned the Verdamper earlier and I think that is also a good alternative. It is closer to the Herbo than the VHW in that it is also hands free. I know Progress has one and he loves his unit. The only drawback that he told me is that the only way to control the temp is with the type of draw you use when inhaling. It?s nice to have adjustable temperature but I think the PD and Verdamper are examples why they aren?t always necessary (esp if just using cannabis and not other herbs to vape). Not sure how much the Verdamper costs but I?m pretty sure the pricing was on par with the Herbo.

SSV with the ice chamber would be a decent alternative, but that brings the entire price closer to 350 and still has the tubing, I guess depending on the Euro, could be cheaper than the Herbo or about the same price (at the time I bought mine, the sphere version, I paid about 350).

Youdon?tknowme, just curious why you don?t think the VHW is for you. Not trying to push this down your throat at all as I understand that different people prefer different types of vapes but just curious what about it that doesn?t really jive with you. I know that since a lot of people on this forum wanted the lower intake to have a gg joint, I got conformation that it is now on Vrip?s roadmap to include that option later on this year so maybe your suggestion could help improve an already great product.

stonemonkey55,

youdontknowme

Don't worry SM I never took it that way. Here a some reasons.
- I'm in the market right now, and really don't plan on waiting around for a new VHW to develop. I want the hands-free operation, ideally before the end February.
- The Herbo looks like a piece of art.
- I could use the Herbo element as a GonG vapor bong attachment anyway
- I've heard a dozen or so people say that the Herbo is a top shelf vape, it's not that I don't trust you but it's comforting to have multiple concurring opinions.

Also more a personal use aspect, I don't have any pipes up here with me that have a big enough fitting. The one I have is pretty small. Vrips pipes are very affordable, but hey, as far as affordable pipes go, Sbastien's 18" stemless pipe for ~$100 is also an amazing deal that imo is way more enticing. Either way, if I were to own a pipe here I would probably smoke out of it so much that cleaning it to vape out of would become a chore <gasp>. I'd rather just own the Sphere and just vape out of it, and smoke out of friends pipes that are better anyway. When I spend money on a pipe it's at least going to be perc'd.

I'm not actually committed either way, but right now the Herbo seems to fit me needs better. I kept meaning to answer your port in the Herborizer corner, and I probably still will post there soon.

I mean honestly, do you really think the VHW could make some better gasses than an XL Herbo? It maybe could compare, but I doubt it'd top it. Shit, if the SSV+ice pipe didnt seem similar in style to my VB, I might go with that. But if I'm dropping big bills I want a nice change.

youdontknowme,

Beezleb

The Herborizer is a beautiful vape at that. The important thing is you get the vape that best suits you otherwise it might dig on you for not getting the one you wanted.

I figure Canabis cup cant be wrong for awarding the herborizer a cup but I also look forward to the release of the new vrip. With several other leading manufactures talking about releasing new portable models this area of the vapor market is going to get exciting during the next year or so.

Beezleb,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Don't worry SM I never took it that way. Here a some reasons.
- I'm in the market right now, and really don't plan on waiting around for a new VHW to develop. I want the hands-free operation, ideally before the end February.
- The Herbo looks like a piece of art.
- I could use the Herbo element as a GonG vapor bong attachment anyway
- I've heard a dozen or so people say that the Herbo is a top shelf vape, it's not that I don't trust you but it's comforting to have multiple concurring opinions.

Also more a personal use aspect, I don't have any pipes up here with me that have a big enough fitting. The one I have is pretty small. Vrips pipes are very affordable, but hey, as far as affordable pipes go, Sbastien's 18" stemless pipe for ~$100 is also an amazing deal that imo is way more enticing. Either way, if I were to own a pipe here I would probably smoke out of it so much that cleaning it to vape out of would become a chore <gasp>. I'd rather just own the Sphere and just vape out of it, and smoke out of friends pipes that are better anyway. When I spend money on a pipe it's at least going to be perc'd.

I'm not actually committed either way, but right now the Herbo seems to fit me needs better. I kept meaning to answer your port in the Herborizer corner, and I probably still will post there soon.

I mean honestly, do you really think the VHW could make some better gasses than an XL Herbo? It maybe could compare, but I doubt it'd top it. Shit, if the SSV+ice pipe didnt seem similar in style to my VB, I might go with that. But if I'm dropping big bills I want a nice change.
Those are all valid points and proves that you are a conscientious shopper. I usually do way more due diligence when I purchase other items (vaccuums, home appliances, etc) but when it comes to vapes, I usually just take the leap of faith and as a result I have a bunch of winners and a few loser. Honestly, I would say that the vapor quality that comes out of the Herbo or VRIP are pretty much the same. If it comes down to aesthetics and being hands free, by all means, go for the Herbo! It is a beautifully crafted unit and the sphere is cool little water device.

I figure Canabis cup cant be wrong for awarding the herborizer a cup but I also look forward to the release of the new vrip. With several other leading manufactures talking about releasing new portable models this area of the vapor market is going to get exciting during the next year or so.
Based on what I know of the Cannabis Cub (which isn?t a whole lot, but this is speaking with other vendors that have gone) is that the awards they give out usually goes to the vendor that spends the most $$ at the show. Not saying this is what happened with the Herbo but I remember trading emails with a guy named Dawson (the originator of the Fogger which then became the Super Vapezilla, then Evolutions spun out of that I believe) who basically was telling me the politics behind the awards. Now that I have some experience working in corp America, I basically see the same strategies from the so called analysts who are supposed to be giving factual information but in fact are just hired goons that will sing the praises of whoever puts in the most money. Basically, my company decided to not do a bunch of tradeshows throughout the year, but to just spend all the budget on one show and pretty much get all the accolades. They figure it's better to get one award than overlooked at all the other tradeshows.... :rolleyes: I?ll let you know how we do at Oracle Openworld this year?.

stonemonkey55,

Costanza

Hey, I've been following this thread and just wanted to chime in that the Cannabis Cup isn't always super-reliable when it comes to their awards. One of the reasons I even considered the Vapezilla was because it won two years in a row. That's not to say that the Herborizer isn't a fantastic vape. It just goes to show that as far as vaporizers are concerned, the Cannabis Cup may not be the best source for info.

To the OP, the first thing that came to my mind was the VHW. But like a lot of other people you?d have to wait until its in production. And that also seems a lot different than the Herbo?s hands-free action. I?m not sure which you would prefer.

Costanza,

Beezleb

Isnt the canabis cup voted on by judges that basically anyone who pays the fee can be? Of course companies are going to be competitive and use whatever tactics that are basic in a market setting. The awards means a lot of future money.

Beezleb,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom