Any Glass Blowers here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biohacker

Good question! I don't think so but may be wrong... just curious why? It's the same function as the stock aluminum tube if that helps? Insert and remove is really the only function lol

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Is there dimensions out there already? I own digital calipers if needed.....

Immediate edit....... shit but my supreme isn't home nvm I am an idiot :lol:

Last edited:

PeteSeattle

Good Day to you all. Thank goodness I measured @Puffers glass that was sent (thanks!) it measured 9mm in diameter and 1.5mm walls thus leaving 6mm opening for herb. Picked up glass today and will be busy in the shop tomorrow Monday.

For the gong part I'll either weld the stem onto existing gongs or hand form them myself.

I'll have pics when a few come out of the kiln ... probably around mid-week or Friday depending on how many make it to the kiln vs. recycle.

Have a great day!

PeteSeattle

:rockon::tup::clap::nod:

But I think it's @VAPEHUNTER that sent you the glass?

Ah, that's right. Thanks for correcting me.

So, I couldn't resist after I procured the glass. I had to test out some steps to achieve the desired gong shape. Take a look and let me know. A single rod of glass worked to the gong is more stable than 2 pieces welded together. Dimple not pushed in yet. Just the gong shape practice.

IMG_8931.jpg

Gray Area

I hope to god you ship internationally, cos I'll be after a few myself. They look fantastic :tup:

I'm an "ex" glassblower as it happens... was my first job after school and did it for about 14 years. Nothing related to weed, mostly small custom lab bits and "fancy goods" (tat) coloured flowers, ships in bottles and stuff like that. Stopped in the early nineties when the bottom really fell out of the market and everything really started getting made by machine (or abroad).

I got a set of the glass stems from @VAPEHUNTER too (thanks man :rockon:) and while I haven't had a chance to really check them out, I did notice quite an increased draw restriction compared with the aluminium tube. Obv due to the thicker wall in the glass tubing and they dimple...

I'm just wondering if a straight through tube which you could put a basket screen in might not be better and prove less of a restriction?? Although it'd have to be a pretty small screen :hmm:

This was the only downside I found with the glass stems over the stock. So anything that could reduce this... :tup:

Last edited:

PeteSeattle

I hope to god you ship internationally, cos I'll be after a few myself. They look fantastic :tup:

I'm an "ex" glassblower as it happens... was my first job after school and did it for about 14 years. Nothing related to weed, mostly small custom lab bits and "fancy goods" (tat) coloured flowers, ships in bottles and stuff like that. Stopped in the early nineties when the bottom really fell out of the market and everything really started getting made by machine (or abroad).

I got a set of the glass stems from @VAPEHUNTER too (thanks man :rockon:) and while I haven't had a chance to really check them out, I did notice quite an increased draw restriction compared with the aluminium tube. Obv due to the thicker wall in the glass tubing and they dimple...

I'm just wondering if a straight through tube which you could put a basket screen in might not be better and prove less of a restriction?? Although it'd have to be a pretty small screen :hmm:

This was the only downside I found with the glass stems over the stock. So anything that could reduce this... :tup:

Hmm 9mm with 18mm gong using to part of top of an ELB or similar (maybe long ELB) ... let me sketch some ides.

Gray Area

I'd originally thought just thickening the tubing wall at the right spot might be easier than a dimple, but think this might just increase the restriction overall...

Good to see you're on it man, that test piece looked great :nod:

PeteSeattle

Wow! 14 years and I'm only 2 years into it.

The one dimple concerns me about the integrity of that one spot. Has anyone have OG glass stem snap at that spot?

I was thinking 4 medium dimples may help the draw and integrity of the glass. I did consider just condensing the area too but thought of the restriction as you mentioned.

Oh boy, many variations to come ...

Last edited:

biohacker

I'm being blown away by this Pete, I never once thought this would come to fruition by my dreams are coming true! WOW! I would love nothing more than one with a screen/elb because I can only use the glass tubes with unground, but having the option would be nice. I suppose one can just stick an arizer elbow screen in the bottom of the gong and be good to go? There is plenty of heat so it shouldn't be an issue further down the stem, especially with the radiant heat added if the tube is inserted while being heated.

As for the dimples, I really don't think it matters too much, and i'm sensitive to airflow and never thought it was an issue, always more contingent on how much you load.

This is looking incredible bro! Maybe consider a couple of different versions? Thanks again so much for all of your efforts!!

PeteSeattle

I'm being blown away by this Pete, I never once thought this would come to fruition by my dreams are coming true! WOW! I would love nothing more than one with a screen/elb because I can only use the glass tubes with unground, but having the option would be nice. I suppose one can just stick an arizer elbow screen in the bottom of the gong and be good to go? There is plenty of heat so it shouldn't be an issue further down the stem, especially with the radiant heat added if the tube is inserted while being heated.

As for the dimples, I really don't think it matters too much, and i'm sensitive to airflow and never thought it was an issue, always more contingent on how much you load.

This is looking incredible bro! Maybe consider a couple of different versions? Thanks again so much for all of your efforts!!
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Will have to reread your post thoroughly after my wake n bake.

I'm still at it. We only need how many for beta? Perhaps the only people on this thread? Because I'm just trying to see how much time I need to set aside for another glass project I've been working on for another vape.

** If anyone can answer that we'll lock in beta testers so I know how many to produce.

PeteSeattle

Hi all,

I don't want to be inundated with passing out beta stems. We have a decent amount of people now.

So, unless some else is producing some I'm closing the beta test volunteers. There's so much I can fit in with other projects ... which is a very good thing.

Thanks all. Be on the look out for completion of beta models.

biohacker

You da man Pete! If the stems fit the Supreme, and terminate with a gong, what exactly needs to be tested? :brow:

Anyways, I'm down for as many as you can make for me, however my issue is that I can't actually vape cannabis for another 2-3 months, soooooo......I guess that frees up my spot! But I still want at least 1! ;)

Gray Area

Ha, and I'm in the UK so although I'd love to check the stems out asap, it'd be a bit of a long winded process I guess...

@PeteSeattle Anyway a thought I had. When you use the stock (aluminium) tube, it has the screen with the handle sticking out. This stops the tube from contacting flat against the bottom plate inside the block, and probably aids the flow of air into the tube.
When I'm using @VAPEHUNTER 's glass tubes, I make sure not to push it right in tight, so it'll still allow the air to freely flow through the tube.

So... I'd maybe try to make the stems the correct length so you can push it all the way into the Supreme, to the point the tube widens to form the gong (which would stop it), while still allowing that gap at the top. Hope this all makes sense??
Dunno how othe SV3 users feel about that. Can't say that it's 100% needed, you could still insert the tube and manually allow that space regardless of the length (as I do with the current one), but it would be neater not to have to do this, and to not have excess glass tubing protruding from the supreme before you get to the gong??:shrug:

Anyway... I was also going to ask what size joints you were making? I'm kind of assuming 14mm for aesthetic's and practicality?

PeteSeattle

Anyway... I was also going to ask what size joints you were making? I'm kind of assuming 14mm for aesthetic's and practicality?
Hi! I'm sticking to 14mm right now. Going to 18 is kind of tricky with 9mm glass tubing I'd have to work on that down the line unless someone else steps up to the plate.

And, yes, thank you for your additional helpful information.

Gray Area

I'll measure the length of the part of the stock stem that is actually inserted into the Supreme. A bit of it sticks out of the bottom to allow an o ring type glass connector to be slipped onto it.

I would "aim" to have the straight part of your stem, before it flares to form the gong, this length.

Good call on the 14mm imo :tup:

biohacker

Thanks Pete! We will take what we can get! 14mm is fine, we can use adapters.... just stoked that you took this on bro! The fit is snug like the stock stem, so even if it doesn't hit the top of the heat exchanger is all good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom