After a whole day of readin I'm still torn which vape to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emanresu

So like the title says I spent a whole lot of time looking up which vaporizer I want to get but I have only narrowed it down to 7:

The logs which are PD, WDZ, and MZ.
The whips which are DB, SSV and part time bag EQ.
And lastly the No2.

What am I looking for in a vape?
-Around $200
-I can use it everyday
-Easy and safe to use (not hot to touch, easy maintenance, etc.)
-Known to be reliable and built to last (dont want to waste an investment)
-Preference to portable vapes (I want it to be easily passable to another person)
-Highly efficient but as close as possible to providing the killer feeling one gets if they were taking bong hits
-Good to use in small groups (3-5 people max)

When it comes to bags v whips v direct it doesnt matter too much to me nor does the fact it produces cloudy hits or not. I just care if it gets the job done and does it well.

The logs:

First they seem awesome from what I read here, though all the great reviews seem to be concentrated on this forum making me a little suspicious (not to say that there aren't great reviews on others).

I like that they are probably the most efficient vapes, give great hits, and they look great allowing them to double as an air freshener.

What I dont like is the 30 minute warm up time, that it has to be plugged in to work (though I think there is a battery pack I could get?), and the one I would want out of the three would be a PD which would take 4-6 weeks (confirmed?) to get.

So Id rather not wait and was wondering especially about how equivalent the WDZ and the MZ actually are. The fact that one of them uses brass elements is really a non-factor to me. What I am looking more is whether anyone has had a problem with any of the logs which includes normal wear and tear and all that. Also how much work is needed to use it and keep it clean?

The whips:

The whips are cool and seem like theyd be easier to use than the logs. Again both the SSV and the DB have gotten great reviews and seem the same with the difference being aesthetics and price. If anything Im leaning towards DB only if I know Im not sacrificing anything other than aesthetics and price.

I like that they seem to give great hits and can be used in groups.

What I really dont like about these two (other than what was said about the logs that apply here as well (i.e., needs to be plugged in)) is that it looks like you can easily burn yourself on the exposed glass on top and really would not want to have to worry about it while putting the wand up to the elbow joint. I also dont like the fact that the herbs sit in the end of the wand which to me looks like it can easily fall out if youre not holding it upright the entire time. This is especially important when I read that a few of you accidently blew into the tube causing the herb to go into the heating element and sometimes started a mini-fire which concerns me quite a bit. Also I dont like the fact that you need to hold the wand to the heating glass and would like a more hands-free version without having to get a flimsy looking metal plate (unless it works super well and is reliable). Lastly, I dont care for the temperature controls which make it seem like its part guessing game as to how far to turn the knob since it has no marks on the thing to guide you.

As for the EQ I like the fact that it can double as a whip and a bag even though I heard their bags often spring leaks (what would be a good replacement bag to use?). I love the options it has but am unsure whether they are actually going to be used (like who the hell needs a remote?).

More importantly Im wondering whether the EQ also has a dont touch the hot surface problem that the DB and SSV seem to have.

Again I dont like that it has to be plugged in but it seems to be balanced by the fact its more hands free than the vapes already mentioned. Lastly EQ has been said to be great all around but not great at one specific thing, which Im wondering if the differences between the EQ and the other is enough where I should just stay away if I want a quality vape.

Lastly the No2:

It seems like the No2 is the pariah on this site as Ive come across more horror stories about the battery failing or the plastic electronic taste than makes me comfortable. But Im still very interested because Ive used one on many occasions since my friend has owned one for the last 7 months and has none of those problems except for a minor screen buildup he had to clean one time. He uses it multiple times a day btw.

I love the fact that its extremely portable, quick to heat up, can be passed and used by several people, doesnt get too hot to touch anywhere on the vape, and it gives pretty good hits. But still the only thing that concerns me is the bad reviews Ive read about people getting the lemons. I guess this will be up to how much risk I am willing to take in buying one.

Once last thing that applies to all the vapes (less so the logs) is that I'm looking to save by buying off ebay and know that some manufacturers, like the No2 for example, do not honor a warranty if bought under MAP. Does this apply to the EQ, DB, and SSV as well?

Thanks for reading and any help/replies.

Emanresu,

caseball2051

I would cross the NO2 off the list. I just havent seen enough to consider advising anyone to buy it.

I can vouch for the efficiency and flavor of the MZ. I love mine.

I havent used any other units that you mentioned. Just tossin in support for the MZ.

I think that a log vape wont really be good for larger groups though. I find even using it with another person to be tedious. Any of the whip vapes you mentioned should fit your qualifications.

caseball2051,

Goodlife101

Living The Good Life
I say look into a supreme it will deliver best hits youve ever seen! 188 on ebay shipped and it will not disappoint. best bong like rips out of any vape I have seen (own an exq used a SSV many times) and it is portable, and hooks up to any glass you come across! youtube the vids of this thing even without the bong it just delivers... I also own a MZ launchbox, my father owns an iolite best friend a SSV so i do know that Im not just blowing smoke..... no pun intended

also takes 5 minutes to make a cover slip for the heat sink you can cap on at max temps in case you are worried about touching it or friends, slips right on and off

Goodlife101,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Logs are great, for certain people. These people would be those who have access to higher quality bud and/or those with lower tolerances. If you dont have high quality bud, then it could take more than one load's worth to get you to where you want to be, so it could be more troublesome to use than a vape that has a bowl thats larger than the little stems the logs use. Especially if you also have a higher tolerance. Also, as you know im sure, they're set-temp vapes (at around 380F i believe i heard?), and while thats fine for some people, there are those who arent satisfied unless they get the higher temp compounds. People who are new to vaporization, coming from smoking, often seem to fall into this group. A lot of people who use logs are people who like lowertemp, mainly THC vaping, and they usually just cook with ABV to get those mentioned higher temp compounds.

I personally started off with whip vapes and moved to a WDZ and I love the log vape style. The fact that its always on is great for me, and 1 stem is just the right dosage for me usually, so i dont use more than i need like i did back with the DBV/SSV. With premium quality bud, the logs can really put out surprisingly good hits, it's managed to choke me a couple times. But with commercial/mids, it still works but its not as powerful of course. They also work nice in grounds because everyone can have their own stem and then pass the log itself around (works kinda like everyone having their own pipe but sharing a lighter), which is great for not passing germs and for making sure everyone gets the same dosage. However the zaps are designed to have tighter-fitting stems that remain attached to the unit between hits, so this sort of group usage might not be ideal with it, but man are they awesome for solo usage.

Usually i use my wdz throughout the day and then take the accumulated ABV from it and revape it in my Herbalaire, which is another vape you should seriously consider. The HA gets every last bit of vapor remaining in the ABV in a bag or two. Although, lately i havent been doing the revaping and have just started saving the ABV to maybe try making some tinctures with or something.

So personally I'm very happy with my current lineup: wdz for daily driver, HA for revaping or when i want to totally blast my face off or for groups cause bags are great for groups, and MFLB for when i need to vape away from home. But, thats me.

The SSV is a great vape. Having owned both, i'd definitely say its worth the price difference over the DBV. The laid back angle, the heavier baseplate thats made of metal, the variety of heatercover/wand styles, and the nicer, zip-up carrying case are all worth it. My problem with the SSV was just that I was using too much herb with it cause the bowl is rather large, like you can fit half a gram in a bowl, which is as much as i need to be medicated all day long with my WDZ, over a dozen stems worth id say. But if you really are going for that heavy hitter category, the 7th floor vapes do deliver.

And I'd strongly recommend you avoid the NO2, or any Vapir product. But thats just my :2c: , and based on no first-hand experience (thank fuck), just what i've heard from many different people.

steiner666,

Nycdeisel

Logs and whips are VERY VERY different. I had a rough time going from my DBV to my PD, but I did get through it, eventually it 'clicked' for me and I was loading stem packs in mere seconds! however, not everyone likes or wants the same thing, as every vape does something different.

Just be warned, you are now cursed(if you want to even call it that) to buy at least another vaporizer in the future, after whichever one you choose now.

One day is nothing, search for a week at least, if not more, to fully determine what you will like/what will best suit your needs AND to research user discussion on it so you know the secrets to all the little tricks of any one model(though that would come with experience eventually).

Nycdeisel,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I have no experience with the DBV, but I've hit my SSV with my hand accidentally on many occasions. It sits right next to me and it's turned on whenever I'm home. I'm not sure if it was designed this way or that it's just an accidental beneficiary, but apparently the hot glass part is regressed enough. I always hit some part of the warm but not hot metal and never the hot heater cover, so far *knocks on wood*

I think you want on of these if you're looking for a heavy hitter. If you're leaning more towards efficiency you should probably go with one of the log vapes, but you can't have it both ways unless you buy both :)

I have to agree with miss Deisel though, you'll probably want to try both in the end.Just pick wichever one you like to try first :lol:

Here's the e-bay address for cheaper SSV's and DBV's:

http://stores.ebay.nl/higherelevationsssv

These are blemished models and come without the bag, but still have warranty.

You could of course safe even more and build your own Hakko/SVV wand if you're a bit handy. That's probably what I would have done if I knew about it earlier.

OhTheAgony,

Nycdeisel

Those blemished models are a good deal^ and the cases are inexpensive if you want one.

OhTheAgony: the hakko/ssv wand reminds me of the LSV, which looks to be good but its new and has a few things to work out, though 7th Floor has good customer service so... take your pick.

I say pick one, if you are serious about vaporizing then you will eventually experiement with other models, you cant use one vape(also being your first :rolleyes:) forever

Nycdeisel,

SmokingElectricity

since you want it to be able to be used by 3-5 people at a time, i would have to lean towards a DBV/SSV. they are durable, will give to the big ass rips you are looking for and can easily handle a small party. pretty sure my DBV was a blemished model as well since i got it pretty cheap, but the only thing wrong with it was the DBV logo on the front is black for the most part. looks cool to me. but yeah when the homies come over on the weekends i pull out the DBV and its never a bad choice. during the week and when i'm by myself though, i only use my MZ. :ko:

SmokingElectricity,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, now that I'm starting to get in to glass I'm really starting to like that LSV to NYC-D. The Vriptech wand even more I must admit, even though it seems a bit fragile in some areas.

But this vaporizing business is getting expensive enough as it is, and to be honest I just can't justify paying that much money for such simple technology again, no matter how much I love my SSV. Plus I kinda like gettho and making my own stuff, and the Hakko mod seems to be a really solid piece and it works with a heater cover I already know and became fond off. Easy choice imo. If I can find the right soldering iron over here I may retire the SSV as a back up & travel piece sooner then I ever expected. The whip just feels a bit clumsy with a bubbler to me, I keep knocking stuff over with it.

I came across some of your pieces when I was digging through the big glass thread yesterday btw, really nice collection you gathered there so far I must say. I just ordered my first 'real' tube and I can't wait to get my lips around it, I already know this is going to cost me so much money in the next few years :uhoh:

OhTheAgony,

Nycdeisel

dont go too crazy
spin.gif

I am always looking at glass wanting to buy everything! thanks man, Im kinda looking to reduce my collection a bit, since I dont use everything(plus it gives me an excuse to buy new glass, once there is room for it :D

Nycdeisel,

Emanresu

Alright I think logs are out even though I now can definitely see myself getting one later as my second vape lol, that should help with the long wait period for PD, I'm cursed lol!!!

As for No2, even though my friend's does work great and he absolutely swears by it, I'd rather not take what seems like a huge risk in potentially getting a bad one and being forced to deal with customer service.

So I think I'm going to go with SSV for the style, the fact that I can diffuse oils with a top on it (which will better solve the hot to touch problem), and the abundance of great reviews.

A couple things still are on my mind though. How easily does the herb fall out of the wand if you're not holding it upright? I'm thinking I'll probably get the hands free attachment as well just so I can minimize that problem as well.

Also for those who are very familiar with the SSV is there different types I should be aware of? Especially with the want attachment? I'm asking because some pics show a narrow elbow while others show a wide open one and was wondering if that's an option and whether that option affects it's usage.

Thanks for all the replies btw!

Emanresu,

MG23

Relaxin'
PD/MZ now and then a DBV/SSV later. And yes, there will be a later.

Or vice versa if in your case bigger clouds and somewhat easier group use > ridiculous efficiency.

MG23,

Nycdeisel

MattyGTwenty3 said:

haha you can say that again!

Emanresu said:
A couple things still are on my mind though. How easily does the herb fall out of the wand if you're not holding it upright? I'm thinking I'll probably get the hands free attachment as well just so I can minimize that problem as well.

Also for those who are very familiar with the SSV is there different types I should be aware of? Especially with the want attachment? I'm asking because some pics show a narrow elbow while others show a wide open one and was wondering if that's an option and whether that option affects it's usage.

Thanks for all the replies btw!

The SSV has the best wand angle, herb will not fall out of it. Even on the DBV the herb can only fall slightly out of place.

The SSV comes standard with the regular heater cover and wand, while the DBV comes with the GonG heater cover and wand(which is hands free, cause it also sits flat, it wouldnt be hands free on the SSV, but who needs hands free? I didnt even use that feature on my DBV!)

The standard SSV connection is good and you can always buy the GonG in the future. Oh and there is also the spherical joint connection available for the SSV.

Nycdeisel,

sunsett70

dude, people say the dbv/ssv is for big hits but these vapes are not given enough credit for efficiency. a little bit of modding with arizer dome screen will turn your dbv/ssv into an ultra efficient unit. check out post 1283-1290 http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=201&p=52

That's the beauty of the dbv/ssv, you can mod it for different uses instead of getting different vapes. So you can use the dbv/ssv for big (normal) hits, when you want to mix mj with other herbs or when you really want to conserve, you can mod it with the dome screen. the dbv/ssv is so adaptable. and the herb falling out is just a newbie thing. once you get used to using it, won't be a problem.

sunsett70,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Can't argue with that choice, I think I said something like "I think I'm going with the SSV for my first real vaporizer, but I'm pretty sure I'll own a PD one day as well" in my first post on here :lol:

You have the standard wand for the SSV which comes with the blemished models, so if you go that route you're choice is already made. There's also the GG version which makes it hands free. If that's what you want you I'd just get the DBV if I were you, it's the standard glass that comes with those. Then there's the GG spherical glass which isn't hands free, that's the wide looking mofo in the pictures you might have come across.

But I suggest you go snooping around learning everything about it in the SSV thread like most of us did before or after we bought one, and if that leaves you with any questions you're in the best place for it:

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=3

NYC-D,

I've already set up some rules for myself. Don't own more then 4 or 5 pieces at once and don't pay more then 300US$ per piece are the first two. I wonder which one I break first :lol:

I read that you wanted to get rid of a few large ones you've got. If I thought I could afford it I might make you an offer for that Illadelph, haha. I saw a beautiful one on Aqualab but it's way more then I'm willing to spend. And I really want a nice and not to large bubbler for my next piece anyways, something a bit like showerhead you got perhaps, I really like Glasstafarian's work.

OhTheAgony,

SmokingElectricity

if you pack it down just a tad, you don't have to worry about the bud falling out the wand, holding it upside down or building a shrine for it...

i'm jus saying. :|

SmokingElectricity,

DaProfessor

MattyGTwenty3 said:

Or vice versa if in your case bigger clouds and somewhat easier group use > ridiculous efficiency.

+1, this exactly what you should do. You will want multiple vapes if you are anything close to a 'gearhead' or collector type.

DaProfessor,

Emanresu

One last thing. It looks like ebay is the best bet with SSV prices but I'm wondering whether some, if any, of the sellers actually offer a valid 3 year warranty that 7th Floor will cover. If not I think I'm going to just buy a 'blemished' model from 7th Floor's ebay page since the price is ridiculous though I'm concerned as to the blemish since it can include a cracked knob. Anyone ever bought a 'blemished' model?

Emanresu,

steiner666

Serial vapist
I was just on ebay yesterday and saw some silver models for around 200 that came with case and everything and a black one for like 220, which is what i'd go for personally. Not through 7th Floor, but i THINK i remember reading that they're pretty good about honoring warranty regardless of where you got it from. You might want to look up their number on their website and give them a quick call and ask tho b4 pulling the trigger.

and I'd definitely recommend that you go with the standard-style heatercover and wand type. You have to hold the wand up to the heatercover while you hit it, as opposed to the grounglass connection that lets you just insert it into the heatercover and then twist it so its tight and stays in there (usually anyway) and not have to hold it. BUT the standard is much harder to accidentally blow the herb back into the heatercover because of the much smaller opening, and it doesnt get stuck like the ground glass sometimes does. Its much easier to use if you want to see the load through the glass while vaping and stir in between hits too. But i know some ppl like GonG better...

and then theres the spherical ground glass option, which i have no experience with personally.

And i personally think its better to go with the SSV first and log later. The SSV will hit you hard and blow you away, but then eventually you'll probably want something thats more efficient so you go through less herb and thats when the log comes in lol.

steiner666,

nuvap

85% Sativa / 15% Indica
MattyGTwenty3 said:

I'd agree with that. I bought a DBV and have a PD on the way, even though I thought the DBV would be my "last" vape for a while. I think between these 2 vapes most boxes are ticked.

nuvap,

rayski

Emanresu said:
One last thing. It looks like ebay is the best bet with SSV prices but I'm wondering whether some, if any, of the sellers actually offer a valid 3 year warranty that 7th Floor will cover. If not I think I'm going to just buy a 'blemished' model from 7th Floor's ebay page since the price is ridiculous though I'm concerned as to the blemish since it can include a cracked knob. Anyone ever bought a 'blemished' model?
I got one and I honestly don't see anything I would call a blemish on it, and the service really exceeded my expectations. The base, knob, wand, pick, and bonus glass storage jar matched. Very,very nice!

rayski,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I got a blemished SSV. There's about a one inch scratch north to north-west from the power light on mine. The only time I noticed it was when I was looking for it. The blemish could be a cracked knob, but it could also be just a scratched whip tube. Live is a gamble sometimes.

My black one came with silver base btw. Not sure if all the blemished ones come with silver bases or that I just got lucky.

OhTheAgony,

rayski

OhTheAgony said:
My black one came with silver base btw. Not sure if all the blemished ones come with silver bases or that I just got lucky.
My silver SSV came with a green base.

rayski,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
sunsett70 said:
dude, people say the dbv/ssv is for big hits but these vapes are not given enough credit for efficiency. a little bit of modding with arizer dome screen will turn your dbv/ssv into an ultra efficient unit. check out post 1283-1290 http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=201&p=52

That's the beauty of the dbv/ssv, you can mod it for different uses instead of getting different vapes. So you can use the dbv/ssv for big (normal) hits, when you want to mix mj with other herbs or when you really want to conserve, you can mod it with the dome screen. the dbv/ssv is so adaptable. and the herb falling out is just a newbie thing. once you get used to using it, won't be a problem.

I checked out the referenced posts...good ones for sure. But I don't see how this will work for the SSV. I tried it last night and the curves of the wand and connector fuck it up. Anyone do th is for the SSV and I just haven't seen it yet?

stickstones,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Yep, SS, in fact I brought this MOD up in the SSV thread...and to me it works even better in the SSV (standard wand!) vs DBV.
Check posts #1442 to #1446 (picture there):
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=3&p=58

And Sunsett is right: "our" MOD (LOL, I love thinking I'm da father of this MOD...probably not true...) totally changes your SSV in a fucking versatile ALIEN: both BIG hitter and BIG conservative tool!!!! :o :o

FLskwat,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom