Advanced E-cig users and oil/wax, how-to "one-hitter-quitter"

kingtut106

for concentrate dabs, i like a pair of 1mm size holes, tight draw. for the ejmix shiz i have to open it all the way up

Definitely drilled mine out a bit too much for concentrates, anyone know where I can get 22mm replacement caps?

kingtut106,

smatchimo55

these fit better on my nimbus clone than they do the igo w, or at least the cheap single air hole version from FT. i have a new igo w coming in that i think should be 1:1 with the legit youde.

edit: im sure you can find cheaper SS top cap replacements, hell the clear versions on fast tech are 4 dollars, but i needed a brass one. shows 21mm brass origin with the linked topcap, next to 23mm bagua/helios. looks like shit on this cam : /

Last edited:
smatchimo55,

kingtut106

@smatchimo55 check out cap it all vapes, I found some replacement caps there. I asked if they could go custom drilling (still waiting to hear back), but I think their stock is 1/16" which should be ideal for concentrates.

kingtut106,

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
I've recently purchased a igo-w and I'd like to share my findings.

As per other members suggestions I finally have my very own shiny RDA , RBA what have you...

And let me say, after tinkering and experimentation I am not only blown away by the performance, but at how amazingly simple rebuilding coils (not just on the RDA) is. I spent a lot of time reading this thread and watching YouTube videos (rip tripper is a funny f%cker) and have found a build that suits my needs perfectly, both on the ivo-w for concentrates and on my rebuilt improved pro tank atty.

I use rip trippers braided wire design, which is amazingly easy with just a power drill and Allen wrench. I then wrap it into a coil 5 or 6 times. I did 5 because it's all that would fit in the pro tank atty housing for my ecig, and 6 wraps in my Igo-w for concentrates. This braided coil (BTW I used 28g for both braided coils) outperforms the original coil in the pro tank by 10 fold, and the performance was amazing. And for the igo-w with concentrates, it performs on par with my Ti nail now, delivering amazingly crisp flavor and 2-3 hits per regular sized dabs. I used 2mm silica wick for both builds, which performs fine for me. I did drill the air holes on the Igo-w for more air flow, I didn't measure it and without going into detail on how , I pretty much doubled the size of the stock air holes that are supplied, which did definetly noticeably increase performance a lot.

All in all I'm very satisfied with both builds, and now knowing that I can fix either any time for any reason for close to free.

Vaping has just hit a whole new level for me... I haven't touched a glass rig in 4 days now, and I used to count the minutes untill I could get home and get a real hit from my glass rather then the flimsy glass globe atty I used to use with mediocre results.

I'm interested to hear more from you guys so keep the great info and suggestions coming, and thank everyone.

Last edited:

2clicker

Observer

As per other members suggestions I finally have my very own shiny RDA , RBA what have you...

And let me say, after tinkering and experimentation I am not only blown away by the performance, but at how amazingly simple rebuilding coils (not just on the RDA) is. I spent a lot of time reading this thread and watching YouTube videos (rip tripper is a funny f%cker) and have found a build that suits my needs perfectly, both on the ivo-w for concentrates and on my rebuilt improved pro tank atty.

I use rip trippers braided wire design, which is amazingly easy with just a power drill and Allen wrench. I then wrap it into a coil 5 or 6 times. I did 5 because it's all that would fit in the pro tank atty housing for my ecig, and 6 wraps in my Igo-w for concentrates. This braided coil (BTW I used 28g for both braided coils) outperforms the original coil in the pro tank by 10 fold, and the performance was amazing. And for the igo-w with concentrates, it performs on par with my Ti nail now, delivering amazingly crisp flavor and 2-3 hits per regular sized dabs. I used 2mm silica wick for both builds, which performs fine for me.

All in all I'm very satisfied with both builds, and now knowing that I can fix either any time for any reason for close to free.

Vaping has just hit a whole new level for me... I haven't touched a glass rig in 4 days now, and I used to count the minutes untill I could get home and get a real hit from my glass rather then the flimsy glass globe atty I used to use with mediocre results.

I'm interested to hear more from you guys so keep the great info and suggestions coming, and thank everyone.

ill have to check out the braided coil build. i quite like the looks of the flat bastard coil.

question for ya tho... how do you keep your protanks from leaking. i love my PT2 and my Davide mini, but both leak no matter what i try to remedy it. been considering plastic tanks that dont leak, but love the glass tanks better.

i willd def be building rdas for solids, but want to keep my PT2 and DM for liquids. its just that damn leaking! shit is too precious to have leak.

2clicker,

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
ill have to check out the braided coil build. i quite like the looks of the flat bastard coil.

question for ya tho... how do you keep your protanks from leaking. i love my PT2 and my Davide mini, but both leak no matter what i try to remedy it. been considering plastic tanks that dont leak, but love the glass tanks better.

i willd def be building rdas for solids, but want to keep my PT2 and DM for liquids. its just that damn leaking! shit is too precious to have leak.
I absolutely experienced this problem as well and was determined to fix it in order to use the tank because it pairs so beautifully with my smok telescope mod.

After I scrap out the original coil in the protank atty I rebuild it my desired way (which might be unnecessary in your case) and do everything as normal untill before I put the final stem cover on the top, I just lay a DRY (wet will not work, it will get wet) extra Peice of silica wick over the top of the coil, in the same oreintation and length as the wick already in the coil, replace the cap, and presto, perfectly working non dripping non bubbling pro tank atty. The cap may be slightly harder to get back on the atty housing , but it will still seal.

When you pop the top metal air spout off the atty housing, sometimes there are 2 extra wicks sitting on top of the wicked coil already, but there poor quality, most of the time placed wrong, and small so they don't last very long, just replace them with a single 2mm or 3mm wick and you should be good to go

Last edited:

fernand

Not Sure whereto ask this, but am I the only vaper who finds the waxes and oils taste like agribusiness waste? And O - Pen Vape Carts taste like they are burning (though they are not)?

fernand,

smatchimo55

I use rip trippers braided wire design, which is amazingly easy with just a power drill and Allen wrench. I then wrap it into a coil 5 or 6 times. I did 5 because it's all that would fit in the pro tank atty housing for my ecig, and 6 wraps in my Igo-w for concentrates. This braided coil (BTW I used 28g for both braided coils) outperforms the original coil in the pro tank by 10 fold, and the performance was amazing. And for the igo-w with concentrates, it performs on par with my Ti nail now, delivering amazingly crisp flavor and 2-3 hits per regular sized dabs. I used 2mm silica wick for both builds, which performs fine for me. I did drill the air holes on the Igo-w for more air flow, I didn't measure it and without going into detail on how , I pretty much doubled the size of the stock air holes that are supplied, which did definetly noticeably increase performance a lot.

+1 for twisting coils. i even did a flat one where i put all 3 wires next to each other and wrapped it like that. was very hard to mount and would have just been easier to twist but yea, its like having a 3 coil set up in a concentrated area, perfect for our.... concentrates...

the silica wick though... how are you loading this thing? doesnt it kill you on that last hit with a half dry burnt silica / wax hit?

smatchimo55,

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
If your getting a burnt taste then your coil most likely isn't optimally wrapped. Before using any coil I make I do simple very light dry burns to make it glow and cool, to see if it's putting off any smoke by itself or not. If it lets off smoke dry, then there is a problem. When you pulse the power on a DRY coil it should not smoke if set up properly. With the braided coil I notice a n almost disappearance of any burnt taste in both my e cig and my Igo-w, and a major increase in taste and performance. Try different coils and see what works best for ya, if or just didn't make the grade, just scrap it and try again.

Actually pretty fun and very rewarding.

DabComa,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
if your oil tastes that bad its not being run properly. find a new place to try them from...?

X2. I even find that really really well extracted bho can taste better then flowers sometimes IMO. I have some chemdawg crumble/honeycomb that is phenomenal tasting. I can literally tell from the taste that this plants phenotype leaned more heavily on sour-diesel side! :nod: :D

Still running my igo w with flat ribbon. Curious about trying a mundy'a magic coil. It's 3 pieces of twisted flat ribbon that is then braided together, crazy surface area check it out...
t9RCO3I.jpg

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
X2. I even find that really really well extracted bho can taste better then flowers sometimes.:nod::D

t9RCO3I.jpg
quote]
Can't get rid of the smileys or picture :?

IMO not only should BHO taste 1,000,000 x better then the flower it came from, it should taste amazing while retaining the flavor profile of the strain used for it. I find after solely making the switch to concentrates that flower tastes like garbage to me, no matter how good the strain. I can taste the profile of all the things I shouldn't be smoking in the smoke. Very similar to how I feel about switching from cigarettes to e cigs... I can't even smoke a cigarette anymore, and I've thrown up from the smell in heavy smokers cars once in a blue moon. It's amazing the difference not smoking traditionally makes on your senses of smell and taste.

If your oil doesnt taste better then any flower you've smoked, I would absolutely look for another source or try making it yourself once it's amazingly simple, because anything not having pure premium flavor in my experience is either a full on leaf/trim run, or flowers ran with a majority of leaf/trim in order for an individual or company to increase their yields to increase their money potential, while still having a semi flavorful/presentable appearing product.

DabComa,

2clicker

Observer
i would like to add that if the oil is run with a ISO soak... that can make it pretty gross IMO.

i cant say ive ever had oil taste better than the nugs its run from, but at best it should taste as good. usually some of the flavor is lost in the run to exposure to air or heat. still though, it should taste damn good.

DC, my flowers still taste amazing when vaped. did u used to vape your flowers or only smoke? if smoked then yes the valed oil flavor will blow the doors off of any combusted material, but i still feel, when vaping, that flowers still reign supreme in the flavor dept.

2clicker,

smatchimo55

IMO not only should BHO taste 1,000,000 x better then the flower it came from, it should taste amazing while retaining the flavor profile of the strain used for it. I find after solely making the switch to concentrates that flower tastes like garbage to me, no matter how good the strain. I can taste the profile of all the things I shouldn't be smoking in the smoke. Very similar to how I feel about switching from cigarettes to e cigs... I can't even smoke a cigarette anymore, and I've thrown up from the smell in heavy smokers cars once in a blue moon. It's amazing the difference not smoking traditionally makes on your senses of smell and taste.

If your oil doesnt taste better then any flower you've smoked, I would absolutely look for another source or try making it yourself once it's amazingly simple, because anything not having pure premium flavor in my experience is either a full on leaf/trim run, or flowers ran with a majority of leaf/trim in order for an individual or company to increase their yields to increase their money potential, while still having a semi flavorful/presentable appearing product.
can i see a picture of your build after youve smoked a dab or two out of it. i need to compare how it looked to my silica wicks. my SS mesh wicks are absolutely trouble free and i only consider silica still because it did give better flavor. SS mesh tends to mute flavors for some reason. maybe if i used ribbon wire instead. will have to test more.

Nemesis mod w/ patriot (two coils ss mesh for wicks) pulls 0.5 ohms

good stuff! im now running my device through a whip tube and bong attachment with a throw away drip tip stuffed in there as an adapter. i load the shit out of it and can take massive rips. good for the day usually lol

loading mode:
QsjSH7V.jpg

ready for launch:
f4vkN9X.jpg

yea its a little awkward, but still 2 hands is enough after its all together. just barely tho :p

Last edited:

walrus

can i see a picture of your build after youve smoked a dab or two out of it. i need to compare how it looked to my silica wicks. my SS mesh wicks are absolutely trouble free and i only consider silica still because it did give better flavor. SS mesh tends to mute flavors for some reason. maybe if i used ribbon wire instead. will have to test more.

good stuff! im now running my device through a whip tube and bong attachment with a throw away drip tip stuffed in there as an adapter. i load the shit out of it and can take massive rips. good for the day usually lol

loading mode:
QsjSH7V.jpg

ready for launch:
f4vkN9X.jpg

yea its a little awkward, but still 2 hands is enough after its all together. just barely tho :p

Love it. I do basically the same thing but with a short piece of whip tubing and a hydratube.

walrus,

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma

loading mode:
QsjSH7V.jpg

ready for launch:
f4vkN9X.jpg

Sure tomorrow morning I'll post up pics of both my coils on my protank and Igo-w. The Ive used about 1 gram through it already and replaced the wick once...not the coil, just the silica, to keep up premium flavor.

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
@kingtut106

Are you running a kick in your nemmy mod? Just wondering cause you have the kick ring on in between the extension for 18650 tube. If your not runnin a kick removing the ring should shorten the throw on the switch decreasing misfires and possibly increasing conductivity making it hit harder.

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass

FuckCombustion ... get you a vaporizer and your flowers will taste soo much better. I can't smoke flowers anymore either.

MileHighLife,

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
FuckCombustion ... get you a vaporizer and your flowers will taste soo much better. I can't smoke flowers anymore either.
You know that's funny, I didn't even consider vaporizing vs combustion because as 2clicker called it, I never really got into vaporization (i know shame shame you know my name...) I went from combustion to concentrates. But I did have a friend with a volcano and I do remember going out of my way to " hang out " at his place so I could use his vape. So I guess I can't really comment on the vaped flower vs concentrate taste argument then, due to inexperience.

smatchimo55

You know that's funny, I didn't even consider vaporizing vs combustion because as 2clicker called it, I never really got into vaporization (i know shame shame you know my name...) I went from combustion to concentrates. But I did have a friend with a volcano and I do remember going out of my way to " hang out " at his place so I could use his vape. So I guess I can't really comment on the vaped flower vs concentrate taste argument then, due to inexperience.
Its pretty amazing. i think the high is intensified too but not in a way like concentrates do, it feela more like a medible high, to me .

Lol im on my phone and that typo made me laugh pretty hard. Im stoned:freak:

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
I have an interesting thought I'd like to share and hopefully have someone answer who currently has a Hercules sr71 or 74.

A few members here have been looking for the perfect ceramic element to place in thier RDA's

http://www.w9tech.com/hercules-sr-71-black-rod/

What if I one were to order one of the ceramic pieces used in the Hercules, obviously for their proper voltage, mine being 3.7, and cut it in half and wrap a coil on each one then use that for concentrates in my igo-w?

Does anyone think this would work, if so I would definetly be interested in building a prototype to mess around with.

I don't own a Hercules so hence I am unfamiliar with what the ceramic is literally used for but if it's in the Hercules, it should be safe and high grade so I hear.

I hope someone gives good news because I'm excited to try it if people think that it will work. Eagerly awaiting any info thanks :)

DabComa,

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
I have an interesting thought I'd like to share and hopefully have someone answer who currently has a Hercules sr71 or 74.

A few members here have been looking for the perfect ceramic element to place in thier RDA's

http://www.w9tech.com/hercules-sr-71-black-rod/

What if I one were to order one of the ceramic pieces used in the Hercules, obviously for their proper voltage, mine being 3.7, and cut it in half and wrap a coil on each one then use that for concentrates in my igo-w?

Does anyone think this would work, if so I would definetly be interested in building a prototype to mess around with.

I don't own a Hercules so hence I am unfamiliar with what the ceramic is literally used for but if it's in the Hercules, it should be safe and high grade so I hear.

I hope someone gives good news because I'm excited to try it if people think that it will work. Eagerly awaiting any info thanks :)

I owned an sr71 for a few months. The heating element uses metal plate contacts. Breaking the element in half would only ruin it ... I'm sure you could solder wire leads to the contacts if you wanted to.

MileHighLife,

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
Yeah I thought I noticed that in the pic, but sawing it in half would be necessary to make it fit in the igo-w. Would one be required to use these leads? Or could the desired goal be achieved by wrapping coil around the half of exposed ceramic and not using the one with the lead?

I'm probably gonna wind up getting one just to satisfy my curiosity...

DabComa,
Top Bottom