Advanced E-cig users and oil/wax, how-to "one-hitter-quitter"

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Do you know if a oil atomizer (Drdabber and bholt in my case) can work with a VV battery 3.7v-4.8v without any damage? A higher voltage could increase the performances or not ?

PPN,

nickzzzx

Alright guys, I said I would build it, and build I did. This was my first RBA build and I'm surprised it actually worked and had amazing clean flavor from the start.
Here's what I did:
1) cutting and shaping the ceramic with my dremel tool.
2) soak ceramic in lemon juice for ~20min. boil in H2O. Torch till glowing orange twice, let cool down.
3) build coil, modify ceramic to fit coil and clearance issues with pos/neg posts.
4) put coil inside ceramic, fit ceramic to RBA, fix coil legs to pos/neg posts
5) adjust coil so it fits ceramic snugly

As I said in the previous post, here's what I'm using:
-Caravela clone - 18350 shorty with AW IMR battery
-.8mm kanthal ribbon
-60 grit bon brand alumina oxide porous ceramic (rubbing stone), shaped and cut. This is what the ecig guys have been using and it has great
-igo-l RBA with igo-w top cap
-super t manufacturing polished steel shorty drip tip

I decided to go for a higher resistance build for my first so I don't have any problems, and I think I did pretty well. The vape heats up fairly quick within ~2s and gets glowing red on the coil fairly evenly. I loaded up about .3 of some wax after heating up the ceramic and it soaked right into it like a sponge. The vapor production is not huge but it is adequate. I plan on rebuilding in the near future, but right now it is pretty cool!

IMG_20140217_124931-1.jpg

IMG_20140216_231900.jpg

IMG_20140217_000512.jpg

IMG_20140217_000531.jpg

IMG_20140217_124833.jpg

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
Alright guys, I said I would build it, and build I did. This was my first RBA build and I'm surprised it actually worked and had amazing clean flavor from the start.
Here's what I did:
1) cutting and shaping the ceramic with my dremel tool.
2) soak ceramic in lemon juice for ~20min. boil in H2O. Torch till glowing orange twice, let cool down.
3) build coil, modify ceramic to fit coil and clearance issues with pos/neg posts.
4) put coil inside ceramic, fit ceramic to RBA, fix coil legs to pos/neg posts
5) adjust coil so it fits ceramic snugly

As I said in the previous post, here's what I'm using:
-Caravela clone - 18350 shorty with AW IMR battery
-.8mm kanthal ribbon
-60 grit bon brand alumina oxide porous ceramic (rubbing stone), shaped and cut. This is what the ecig guys have been using and it has great
-igo-l RBA with igo-w top cap
-super t manufacturing polished steel shorty drip tip

I decided to go for a higher resistance build for my first so I don't have any problems, and I think I did pretty well. The vape heats up fairly quick within ~2s and gets glowing red on the coil fairly evenly. I loaded up about .3 of some wax after heating up the ceramic and it soaked right into it like a sponge. The vapor production is not huge but it is adequate. I plan on rebuilding in the near future, but right now it is pretty cool!

IMG_20140217_124931-1.jpg

IMG_20140216_231900.jpg

IMG_20140217_000512.jpg

IMG_20140217_000531.jpg

IMG_20140217_124833.jpg

What type of ceramic did you use?

Do you know if a oil atomizer (Drdabber and bholt in my case) can work with a VV battery 3.7v-4.8v without any damage? A higher voltage could increase the performances or not ?

Yes the resistance wire will get hotter but you will risk burning out the coil more quickly.

MileHighLife,

jdee

For some reason I'm uneasy with taking a dremel to porous ceramic, creating dust that most likely gets trapped in the pores, to be used for something that I will be inhaling, but that's just me.

nickzzzx

For some reason I'm uneasy with taking a dremel to porous ceramic, creating dust that most likely gets trapped in the pores, to be used for something that I will be inhaling, but that's just me.
This is definitely a legitimate concern. To reduce dust while cutting, I kept the ceramic wet with water. Rewetting after each cut. After cutting, it's very important to clean it thoroughly, multiple times with each cleaning method.
This vape that I made is no doubt DIY, but I have confidence in my cleaning techniques and the materials used. I highly doubt it would have an adverse effect on my health.

smatchimo55

hey guys thought id drop this by, dude does a wicking test with different ceramics. aluminum oxide does seem to work the best but the one he uses is called bd13 and is no doubt stupid expensive.

Surprised to see you found it so cheap,

test starts at :30, results at about 3:00

nickzzzx

hey guys thought id drop this by, dude does a wicking test with different ceramics. aluminum oxide does seem to work the best but the one he uses is called bd13 and is no doubt stupid expensive.

Surprised to see you found it so cheap,

test starts at :30, results at about 3:00
that bd13 on the right is exactly what I'm using. There's one guy who started calling it that because he was going to start marketing them but that never worked out.
Here's the massive thread where you'll find people cutting up ceramic blocks and shaping them to fit their RBAs. People who use them in bottom feeder tank style RBAs are having great success.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-next-big-thing-porous-ceramic-wicks-164.html

smatchimo55

that bd13 on the right is exactly what I'm using. There's one guy who started calling it that because he was going to start marketing them but that never worked out.
Here's the massive thread where you'll find people cutting up ceramic blocks and shaping them to fit their RBAs. People who use them in bottom feeder tank style RBAs are having great success.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-next-big-thing-porous-ceramic-wicks-164.html

hey in regards to your build, i was wondering if you drilled out your airhole(s) in the igo if it would help. my igo came with only one airhole, way too tight of a draw

smatchimo55,

nickzzzx

hey in regards to your build, i was wondering if you drilled out your airhole(s) in the igo if it would help. my igo came with only one airhole, way too tight of a draw
I actually ordered an igo-w top cap for that very reason because it has dual air holes. But even with two, it's still quite tight. I might end up drilling it out more later on. kidneypuncher.com actually sells top caps of igo-l and igo-w that have predrilled holes if you don't want to mess with it.

nickzzzx,

smatchimo55

I actually ordered an igo-w top cap for that very reason because it has dual air holes. But even with two, it's still quite tight. I might end up drilling it out more later on. kidneypuncher.com actually sells top caps of igo-l and igo-w that have predrilled holes if you don't want to mess with it.

perhaps check out the keg cap. i have one, it works really well. however doesnt fit as well on the FT single airhole igo, but they now have a proper igo on FT that im sure it fits. could also try the dental floss under o ring trick. it also fits on a nimbus and 22mm helios which is a nice bonus.

smatchimo55,
Reactions: Puffers

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
They also have clear caps that fit the igo l/w base.

It's really easy to drill out the holes using the existing hole as the pilot. I used a rag to pad a c-clamp and just drilled it out to 1/16" to start.

kingtut106

So do people find vertical or horizontal wicks are best for strictly concentrates (no PV mix)

kingtut106,

2clicker

Observer
completely inert after cleaning with an acid, boiling, and torching till glowing.

what kind of acid are you using for this and how are you applying it?

*EDIT* nevermind... i re-read your post and see you use lemon juice.

Last edited:
2clicker,

smatchimo55

So do people find vertical or horizontal wicks are best for strictly concentrates (no PV mix)

in my experience so far horizontal is best for doing individual dabs. lets any excess drip off on to deck without continuing to have heat applied. after ur hit, can take dabber and go for second round. my attys stay clean and dont get that dark film buildup that ends up making my verticals taste funky after a while. when i do verticals and load a bunch a lot liquifies and gets stuck between the well and the posts. when coils are up off the deck anything that drips down is still of a golden consistency at least and scrapes up less like a resin.

smatchimo55,
Reactions: xRUFUSx

2clicker

Observer
what about a ceramic disc or wafer with a coil or two coiled through holes in it...? think a dime sized disc, but thicker with small holes in it. then the wire could wrap around/through the holes. this way the disc hold all of the concentrate on it. position the coils where you want them and create that "sweet spot".

nickzzzx

what about a ceramic disc or wafer with a coil or two coiled through holes in it...? think a dime sized disc, but thicker with small holes in it. then the wire could wrap around/through the holes. this way the disc hold all of the concentrate on it. position the coils where you want them and create that "sweet spot".
That's a good idea, I think I'll try that. I'll report back. So far I've also tried a dumb bell shape with a coil in the middle. Ended up getting too hot. Not a good design.

2clicker

Observer
can these discs be found precut? post any links you may find.

im slowly creating my list of stuff before i dive into this. im going to get a small OD RDA and a reg sized RDA. for some reason i feel that a smaller OD frame is the way to go.

smatchimo55

im slowly creating my list of stuff before i dive into this. im going to get a small OD RDA and a reg sized RDA. for some reason i feel that a smaller OD frame is the way to go.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/802891310/99_9_industrial_porous_ceramic_filter.html

might be able to order 60 grit or 50 grit, those sizes work best for wicking i read.

edit: i often find myself wanting to use cotton, but dont want the burning problems. found this. http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/840803421/Aluminum_Silicate_Ceramic_wick_for_Furnace.html

anyone feeling brave?

Last edited:

nickzzzx

I'm making my own and its much easier to prototype. You just need a source for ceramic.
Here's some from the silver surfer guys. Get the white in the largest size
http://silversurfervap.com/ceramic-flavor-disc.html#

You can use a dremel to shape them, they're a little too big for rbas as they come.

I think I'm going to try that disc idea. Basically a short cylinder shape with a hole drilled horizontally on the bottom side. You could put a coil in there. I'd recommend ribbon kanthal to increase surface area. I'm thinking you can get better flavor by putting the coil within the ceramic and having it heat that up. When you wrap the coil on the outside you can taste the wire.

I really want to get a small solid ceramic coated heater instead of bare wire. It would provide more even heating which gives better and more consistent flavor.

This guy has a source from China who might be able to build a solid disc heater instead of this donut shape:
http://www.fatdaddyvapes.com/donuts.html
Right now the guy has more coming in but he's currently out of stock and the first run was extremely low resistance around .3-.5 Ohms. Next run will be higher.
I want to get a solid disc heater around 1ohm...

Last edited:
nickzzzx,
Reactions: 2clicker

ElevatedMechanics

Manufacturer
I have a extra rebuildable atomizer sitting around, I have not tried with oil/wax.

Can I get superb results with a Provari?

ElevatedMechanics,

smatchimo55

I have a extra rebuildable atomizer sitting around, I have not tried with oil/wax.

Can I get superb results with a Provari?
i think itll do the job on max but i dont think they can get hot enough to do a superb job. i dont own one tho. let us know!

smatchimo55,
Top Bottom