1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

ABV Pics & References

Discussion in 'The Vapor Lounge' started by FlyingLow, Mar 4, 2014.

1. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

Looking at ABV can tell a lot about the device used to vaporize it. Everyone has differing opinions, so lets see some real comparisons. Please post pics of your ABV and the devises used.

Do you vape till it is golden brown, or near black?
    Is your bud evenly and consistently vaped?

What does the ideal ABV look like?

I will get some pics up later, but the difference in my ABV from my Plenty is totally different than the ABV from my Lotus. The first being completely uniform in color, and completely consistent looking; the later being speckled with dark spots and other parts not vaped at all (much less consistent).

I think having pictures as reference can help buyers make easier decisions for their next vape, and provide some guidance if one is over-vaping (or under-vaping) their buds.

Here are a few bowls from my Lotus- note the mixed result and uneven vape. I have gotten better with this device as I get more time with it, but there is certainly a learning curve. This looks completely different than my uniformly vaped Plenty buds (Plenty ABV pics will be uploaded later). [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  2. Caligula

Caligula Maximus

Ummm... might be the way it appears on my monitor but that looks combusted.

3. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

LOL... I think it is too (at least most of it):(
    I have got to work on my technique with this Lotus, very hard to get a big pull without scorching. What does yours look like?

4. EveryDayAmnesiac

EveryDayAmnesiac Bad news from the stars.

It's definitely darker than ideal, I'd say! :ko:

5. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

The Plenty ABV looks so much different and lighter than the above picture; its ABV has the consistent color of light brown tobacco... I have oz's of ABV from the Plenty and will put up pics tonight for comparison.

6. naturalist

naturalist Member

I use a Solo and a VaporGenie and can get evenly vaped ABV out of both. A dark brown color is what I aim for.

The Solo is easy enough to use, but the VG needs a bit of practice initially. When you get comfortable with it however, getting an even bake is no problem at all. Also, it helps to give the bud a little stir during the session. This might also be the case with your Lotus. Or maybe ease off the heat a little bit?

RUDE BOY likes this.
  7. EveryDayAmnesiac

EveryDayAmnesiac Bad news from the stars.

You should shuffle on over to the Herbalizer thread and ask one of those lucky people to post pics of their ABV at diff. temps. That's the info that's going to be the most helpful, I think.

8. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl SPACE GOD 宇宙

Full stem through my Solo at level 3.

[​IMG]

Silent, RUDE BOY and EveryDayAmnesiac like this.
  9. Caligula

Caligula Maximus

Before and after shot @ 4:08

10. paytonpenn

paytonpenn Level 30 Nature/Healer

With your Lotus if you notice abv darker than what you would like then you should decrease the length of time you are heating, I understand others had also recommended moving the flame further away and decreasing its flame height. But you're probably just overcooking because you're over heating.

Pulling out some cross-posts

T-Vape + Underdog
    Firewood (Silicone)
    Firewood (Glass)

Caligula and Quetzalcoatl like this.
  11. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

Here is a scoop of my Plenty's ABV - This is a helluva machine if you have not tried one. It is on par with its big brother the Volcano.[​IMG]

12. fernand

fernand Well-Known Member

OK, here's a pinch I was vaping in the FireFly, using a little screen with a brass border to prevent the load from flying around completely. Note that the photo is contrasty and dark. None of the material is actually black, just dark brown, there was zero combustion. But the stuff that was at the center and bottom before I stirred is the darkest. Looks like the conduction or mixed mode units can give a more even bake, convection can easily have hot spots, like where the hot air enters.

Most people wouldn't use such tiny loads, so the screen "hat" wouldn't be necessary, the stuff then self-agitates, or you can easily stir it, and a more even color results, half-way between the light and dark on this photo, very much like @FlyingLow's. This is as far as I like to vape it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  13. btka

btka Well-Known Member

the abv from my volcano is also bright like in this photo... the abv from my pax and cera are darker...
    can someone explain why? thx

14. gangababa

gangababa Well-Known Member

The thread first comes to my attention on the day I photograph with intent to post these pictures of one spent Ascent load. After always finishing off at the maximum temperature (430), the ABV is consistently dark tobacco to full roast coffee color. With scissors I like to cut up a flower (or better separate the calyxes). Small vaped pieces are toasted through and easily powder.
    Makes me wonder if the ABV is worth processing for ?????
    [​IMG]

Crushed chunks at 11 o'clock (and previously crushed at 9 o'clock)- compare pics.
    [​IMG]

FlyingLow likes this.
  15. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

Toasting to 430, I am not sure if there are much active ingredients left to process or if it would be worth your effort. I cook with lighter abv, like in Post #11; but darker material that is blacked to coffee ground I usually throw out.

Jahannum likes this.
  16. Enchantre

Enchantre A short, pithy statement

That lighter, Plenty ABV would probably work very well as a QWISO or QWET extraction (don't expect great taste), or would make fabulous canna oil. I would think that the CBD content would be rather good.

If it were me ;)

Jahannum, Quetzalcoatl and Snappo like this.
  17. gangababa

gangababa Well-Known Member

Da Vinci Ascent
    On the right, just emptied load started at 365 and raised to 395 in three steps.
    On the left ABV removed from past month's jar.
    Very consistent apparatus that has worked with tight conduction as well as loose convection loads.
    I will get a photo of a lightly vaped bowl.

[​IMG]

Jahannum and FlyingLow like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors