• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

ABV Coffee

Brother Brigham

King, Priest and Ruler over Israel on Earth
Hello all! I have been a long time lurker and researcher of vaporization on this site and elsewhere, this is my first topic post:

Today I made ABV coffee and I wanted to share the recipe/results with all of you good little saints.

I use a french press for my daily brew, I am not sure if this method will work with a drip system as the AVB may not have enough time or availability to adhere to the natural oils in the coffee...and especially if you were to try instant coffee or pre-ground stuff. The advantage of the french press is that it allows your brew to steep for about 5minutes allowing an extraction of your AVB active chemicals. An additional benefit to coffee is that it allows the absorption of ABV chemicals to both fat and water (I have read here that some chemicals are lost in making butter or oil as they only water soluble).

ABV Coffee (Ooooh, can we call it BRIGHAM BREW...please!)

Hardware:
1 French Press, I use the Frieling 17oz model (bomb proof construction, fantastic micro-screen plunger)
1 Coffee Grinder (not my herb dedicated grinder, my daily coffee grinder)
1/3 cup of your favorite coffee beans.
1 teaspoon of ABV (mine was medium dark, PD leftovers)
1/4 cup of cream (adjust to user preference, acts as an additional fat receptor).
2 cups water, just off a boil , I use West Bend Cordless Water Kettle (love this kettle).

Method:
-Pre-heat press with standing tap hot water.
-Grind your beans and ABV together (i use 10, one-second bursts).
-Heat your cream in microwave (our with a steam frother if you're a lucky bastard) don't let it boil over!
-Dump standing hot tap water.
-Combine ground blend with cream, in the press' base, and swirl till your happy (about 20 sec for me).
-Add two cups of water just off a boil, and stir (i use long bamboo skewer) for about 5 seconds.
-Place lid of press on press'base (make sure you do not plunge until brew has fully steeped).
-Stir every other minute or so until about 4-5 minutes total brewing time (longer and it may become bitter).
-SLOWLY depress plunger to separate the blend from the water/cream coffee.
-Pour and enjoy with any other flavor additives you prefer.

For me, this resulted in a very fine tasting cup of coffee, tasting very similarly to a regular cup...in fact, I really liked the subtle ABV addition...tasted somewhat nutty to me. I did not add anything else (sugar, etc).

Log:

7:02 am- Tasted for first time, yummmm
7:16 am- Very surprised to be feeling slight heady effect, it usually takes 1.5hr for me to fell edibles.
7:27 am- OK, definitely feeling head buzz coupled with energy that I usually don't feel with coffee...and I'm only one cup down (out of two).
7:49 am- Finished my second cup, nice mellow heady buzz, with an energy boost (if that makes sense).
9:30'ish am- Starting to come down, I have been super happy/cheery, with the above mentioned buzz.
10:30'ish am- That's about it for effects.

I am VERY surprised that this worked as well as it did! I think I have found my new method of using ABV (have made pills, tinctures, caramels, brownies, entrees, etc). This method just works for me, especially when I don't want couch-lock. Wouldn't work when I need a sleep aide...better keep those other recipes. :)

I am anxious for you all to try this, I hope that my experience can be duplicated!
Cheers, you sinning bastards!

Brother Brigham

Thanks CombustionJunction, I hope it is useful! I have read through pages and pages of FC forums (the PD experience in its entirety....whew). I have respected your posts, you're on my eternal-salvation list. ;)

Brother Brigham,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Brother,
How spent is your abv?

i love my french press and after years of breaking the glass ones finally splurged on a chambord hotel style one. stainless all the way baby! can't even drink drip coffee anymore - it's so - insipid and weak, even hubby is spoiled now.

do you think i could grind the beans and ABV together in a capresso burr grinder? sounds fine for a whirly blade maybe not so much for the burr grinder.

And i also love my chef's choice variable temp smart kettle for french press. 208 every time or cooler for green tea or 212 for black. if you don't have an electric kettle go get one!!!

great post - i am definitely trying this!

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Welcomw Brigham! The timing couldn't be better for me as I just got a good amount of time off and will try this over the holidays...hopefully more than once! Thanks for the post!

stickstones,

Brother Brigham

Herbgirl,
Yea, French Press is the only way to brew! Although, like you said, if you make a habit out of it, it is best to splurge on a SS model...they are so fragile in glass.
As for the level of exhaustion my ABV has endured...I pull on it as long as I'm getting anything from it. My PD is only 5month old so it might not be cooking at the higher temps yet...I can post pictures if it would be helpful for you or anyone.
Yea, I wouldn't use your capresso burr grinder, just seems like you might not want ABV dust eternally around, particularly if you want to make a fresh brew for guests. I am crazy jealous you have a burr grinder though...so many options. I hope you have a whirly grinder laying around somewhere, or some other grinding options...if not i'm sure you are resourceful. :) You could easily add the ground ABV to anything (even instant coffee...yuck) if you boiled it with cream/milk and then added it. I made some iced chi tea last night this way.....nice.
Do you think the swirl the cream with blend for a few seconds is unnecessary?
You are well on your way to preserving your spot next to our Father throughout the eternities...neato.

Stickstones,
I hope it works out for you, have a super merry xmas and break from your regular duties. Although, be careful to not fall into idleness or wickedness.

I am anxious to hear what people think about this method and the effects it has for them. I have used this method a few times now with the same outcome. For reference, when I vape I usually only use one PD bowl (.025g) and I am good to go...I know others need more...so this recipe may need adjustment for others. Again, I'm very interested in feedback.

Brother Brigham,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I'm gonna have to crank it up, as three to five bowls is what gets me going out of my PD. I grind my herb in a coffee grinder already, so I may not put it back in with the coffee. Gonna get a press soon and try this out. I'm excited, as I have not yet found anything I like to do with my abv except give it away!

stickstones,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
I leave some love in my ABV so i'll have to play around with the dosages.
and i got the capresso grinder fairly cheaply, although nowhere near as cheap as a $15 whirly blade. a solid investment for sure though - i love it :) between that, the fully adjustable kettle and the ss french press I'm set as a coffee snob!

and yeah not sure the holiday guests would appreciate coffee redolent of ABV :o
although the last tincture i made i used coffee flavoring in it and it did marry with the abv taste.

the whirly i have is reserved for grinding peppercorns or other herbs and spices for encapsuling or making some dry rub or jerky seasoning. have to see if i can clean it enough to make it work.

i usually don't add anything but grinds and water to the press, but i would think the cream first would allow for extraction of what may be left. you need fat in there somewhere and that seems to be the right point to add it.

herbgirl,
my hubby and i will be trying this in a couple of days...he is getting a coffeegrinder & ss french press from santa. thanks for the awesome idea. :peace:

rockfishtoo,

Chubby

Stoner
Is there any hint of a cannabis odor using the french press? I've got another week to wait until I can start vaping & I'm already trying to figure out what I'll do with my ABV. I use a french press everyday.

Chubby,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I got a french press from starbucks and gave it a shot. Didn't work for me. I know that my tolerance is high right now and that may have something to do with it. Also, as I said before, I have never gotten anything good out of my abv. I'm probably completely vaping it, as I am a miser. But I did enjoy the coffee and the experience. I think I will give a shot at milking my bud less and having some abv with kick.

stickstones,

Brother Brigham

Chubby said:
Is there any hint of a cannabis odor using the french press? I've got another week to wait until I can start vaping & I'm already trying to figure out what I'll do with my ABV. I use a french press everyday.
Hey Chubby,
Naa, I haven't had the cannabis odor or flavor when making it...I did have some of the taste yesterday as I added a small stem, it was kinda nice tasting with the coffee, but not as nice as the ABV, IMO. I hope it works for you, brother Chubby...do let us know. :)
stickstones said:
I got a french press from starbucks and gave it a shot. Didn't work for me. I know that my tolerance is high right now and that may have something to do with it. Also, as I said before, I have never gotten anything good out of my abv. I'm probably completely vaping it, as I am a miser. But I did enjoy the coffee and the experience. I think I will give a shot at milking my bud less and having some abv with kick.
Ahh, bummer! How much did you end up using? I was gonna recommend you use between one and two tablespoons (3-6 X's my dosage) of ABV for your tolerance...I also wonder what that'd taste like. I'm glad you had fun making it though. A for effort and C for celestial salvation (as your consolation prize). Let us know if you try it again with more ABV.

Brother Brigham,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I went out and bought a second coffee grinder and kettle partially for this recipe.
I cant wait to give it a whirl tomorrow AM!

AGBeer,

YourPalHal

THC Exploiter
Hello all! I am going to be making some ABV coffee tonight, and will let you all know how it goes. Right now we are making the coffee, which will then be placed into an electric tea kettle with the ABV, a little bit of chronic, and butter. I'll be sure to keep you all posted about how it goes. I'm already so vaked! Peace, all!

YourPalHal,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Boy was I pissed... I got the FP from the inlaws and took it on (my) maiden voyage with just a regular cup of java. Not knowing the 'tips and tricks' of this thing just yet, I was cleaning it out in the sink only to have the caraffe of it take a 10 point dive right into the porcelain. Not pleased...

BUT!

I will say that this recipe has made me TOTALLY rethink my R1D of Java consumption. I went out and bought another coffee grinder as well as whole beans for grinding. :o Holy Sheepshit Batman!
Even using freshly ground beans through my regular drip coffee maker is a night and day cup of Joe.

AGBeer,

lwien

I've been using a SS french press for about 3 years now. Prior to that, I went through about 3 of the glass ones. Been grinding my beans and using the FP for over a decade, exclusively. Prior to that, it was a Melita Drip, but after using a press, there really is no going back. The one I'm using now is double walled and it keeps the java hotter a bit longer than the glass ones. Never tried that electric kettle though. Gotta check that out.

Gotta try this ABV coffee too. Strictly been making firecrackers, but this sounds good for those times when you want to come on and come down faster.

Lookin' forward to it.

lwien,

Brother Brigham

Yea, SS is the only way to fly when using a french press (been down the road of carafe heartbreak). When I did my recent research the Frieling 17oz was like the cost of two glass press'...totally worth it if you suspect pressed coffee might be in your future. 17oz is just right for me and it has sex-appeal. :cool:

Oh, and lwien, my electric kettle gets used constantly! I use it to rapidly boil water and then transfer it to a pot to cook (noodles,soups, brines,etc). One of those things you will always need once you start IME. And it was under 20$.

Brother Brigham,

lwien

Ok, what's the advantage of an electric kettle over a pot of water on a gas stove? (why do I feel like I'm in virgin territory..... :uhoh: )

lwien,

Brother Brigham

lwien said:
Ok, what's the advantage of an electric kettle over a pot of water on a gas stove? (why do I feel like I'm in virgin territory..... :uhoh: )
Mostly the speed of the boil (I'm boiling water for 2cups of coffee in under a minute...which I assume is faster than most kettle setups). I also like it because, being cordless, you can take it wherever AND, being insulated, no need for hot pads or burns and retains heat for long periods of time. I think I'll boil something now...I've got myself all worked up.

Brother Brigham,
Reactions: Enchantre

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
lwein, I love my electric kettle because i can set it all the way from 100 degrees F all the way to rolling boil. microwaves drive the o2 out of the water resulting in a flat taste in whatever you are brewing. stovetops tend to overboil the water and do the same thing.

white tea, green tea, black tea and herbal tea all need different brew temps so this comes in handy. i also use it to top off water at a rolling boil when using a water bath canner to preserve jams and such.

I am NOT a gadget person, i appreciate a good solid multi use product, and this kettle gets way more use than i ever expected it would.

herbgirl,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
herbgirl said:
lwein, I love my electric kettle because i can set it all the way from 100 degrees F all the way to rolling boil. microwaves drive the o2 out of the water resulting in a flat taste in whatever you are brewing. stovetops tend to overboil the water and do the same thing.

white tea, green tea, black tea and herbal tea all need different brew temps so this comes in handy. i also use it to top off water at a rolling boil when using a water bath canner to preserve jams and such.

I am NOT a gadget person, i appreciate a good solid multi use product, and this kettle gets way more use than i ever expected it would.

I love having a taste bud expert amongst us :p

I never really gave much thought to all of the other aspects of why I had my electric kettle. Im just the kind of guy who likes a gadget for the job. Not necessarily a multitool (like a pan or microwave) I didnt know that about microwaves and overboiling and such. I just like my kettle cause it does what its supposed to :)

AGBeer,

Brother Brigham

FLskwat said:
Hye Bro' Brigham!
Ijust wanted to link this thread to you:
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1564&p=14
In post #338 I explain how I put 1,5 Ml. of swamp water in my nespresso cup. Pour a Ristretto capsule over it... and there you go with the new nespresso flavor capsule: the Stonetto!!! :D
Really works :ko: and the flavor is good!
Nice post, I liked your procedure...seemed simple. Why the freezer? do you simmer alcohol with lid on/tight?

Man, with Herbgirls info on varying temps and your comment about Ristretto capsules, I am learning a lot in this thread. Thanks Everyone, this forum is mighty and strong...the only true forum upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, your prophet, am well pleased.

Brother Brigham,

lwien

Brother Brigham said:
Thanks Everyone, this forum is mighty and strong...the only true forum upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, your prophet, am well pleased.

For some very odd reason, the first thing that popped into my mind when I read this was......Gaius Baltar.

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Brother Brigham said:
Nice post, I liked your procedure...seemed simple. Why the freezer? do you simmer alcohol with lid on/tight?

Cause light isn't good to it and the cold will separate better the THC from the ABV (at least it is what I was told) without taking too much useless particulates. And no, simmering of the mixture alcohol/ABV in the boiling water is uncovered/ no lid!

FLskwat,
Top Bottom