10 things to know about nation's first recreational marijuana shops in Colorado

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I'm just going on what I see on the news, they're saying possibly June is all, no date.

CarolKing,

cloudblower

My state will be selling cannabis in stores this summer. I don't know if I feel comfortable going into a store and buying herb. Maybe eventually I will feel OK about it. It's so surreal. I guess a person won't know until they do it. So many years of having to be in secret is ingrained in me.

Also the feeling of doing something, if you got caught you would go to jail, maybe not jail over the past 5 years or so, since laws weren't as stiff here in WA, but not so in other states, so risking possibly your reputation in the community and with your families. For some people you could be fired from your jobs. Hopefully other states will soon be voting on this important life changing issue.

The Feds attitudes could change with a different President. It doesn't seem like this administration is worried about cannabis.

I went into two stores in Denver yesterday (Starbuds and Kindman) and it was a great experience. I'm not medicinal, so this was my first experience and it was awesome (in the true sense of the word). Starbuds was the better experience. The store felt very comforting and the bud tender enjoyed my enthusiasm, taught me a bit about some strains I had never heard of and weighed my purchase heavy. The best part was that there was a cop on the corner running the traffic lights (due to high levels of traffic because of a rodeo) and he wished me a good day as I walked out with an assortment of strains. That made my day.

Kindman was more clinical and business like.They had pill bottles on display that were for smelling, but when you purchase the weed, it comes from the dispenser in a back room. Kinda weird.

Last edited:

SD_haze

Kindman was more clinical and business like.They had pill bottles on display that were for smelling, but when you purchase the weed, it comes from the dispenser in a back room. Kinda weird.
Out of the dozens & dozens of pot shops I've been to,
I have only seen one medical dispensary here, that operated like that.

They were really high-end.

CarolKing

in Washington state cities are able to opt out and not allow cannabis stores. There were 2600 applications for a license to sell cannabis, they only gave out 334. Whereas a large percentage of the stores will be in the greater Seattle/Tacoma area because of the population.

I will be curious how the stores will be dispersed. It will be up to the stores to hire their own security. No security from local cops. Probably a good thing.

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I will be curious how the stores will be dispersed. It will be up to the stores to hire their own security. No security from local cops. Probably a good thing.

A pot shop doesn't need anymore security than a liquor store or pharmacy. And those places never have armed guards, or even unarmed guards. Just employee's and cameras. Dispensaries can be some of the safest places when you consider the amount of cameras they are required to have. :)

aesthyrian,
Reactions: CarolKing

CarolKing

A pot shop doesn't need anymore security than a liquor store or pharmacy. And those places never have armed guards, or even unarmed guards. Just employee's and cameras. Dispensaries can be some of the safest places when you consider the amount of cameras they are required to have. :)

Well, at this point the stores in Washington can only deal in cash, that's the difference with a liquor store, where customers can use credit cards and debit or checks. It's going to be a major security risk, possibly putting folks in danger.

I don't know if security is a problems in Colorado? I hear the credit card companies said they couldn't use credit cards there either.

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Reactions: Kief

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Vicki,

Nice parody logo at 1:50 (red-eye Illuminati, Wake and Bake pipe), though their latin touch still requires some touch-up:

Herba Fumum Cotidianum
65.gif

So, lets hope Official Comedy finds out about vaporism - soon!

:peace:

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Well, at this point the stores in Washington can only deal in cash, that's the difference with a liquor store, where customers can use credit cards and debit or checks. It's going to be a major security risk, possibly putting folks in danger.

I don't know if security is a problems in Colorado? I hear the credit card companies said they couldn't use credit cards there either.

That's a great point. I remember people talking about that at the beginning of the month when it became legal in CO, and you had lines of 50+ outside and all of those people where carrying cash in fairly large amounts. Still, no thefts or muggings were reported that I have heard of, thankfully.

It's kind of insane that in Colorado you have shops making $1,000,000 in profit collectively in the first day, yet most of those businesses have to keep their cash in huge vaults or safes. I remember seeing a video of the Dixie Elixers facility and their giant bank vault they have to store all their cash profit that they cannot keep in a bank.

Last edited:
Top Bottom