Discontinued Zion vaporizer

YungLeaner

You know what... I can probably give you what you want. The true secret to this heater is surface area. This was also discussed previously but really is the technical why factor in how this vape performs so well.
Ah, that would definitely contribute to instant clouds. Awesome.

PSA: Anyone in Southern California with a Zion that is willing to share the love--feel free to PM me, and I'll show up wherever you want with an eighth of some fantastic kush to run through the Zion.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I understand all of your points! I'm not shitting on you, RBT, or even upset in any way. But how is it that no one can explain in somewhat technical detail HOW the vaporizer works so well? I've literally read almost nothing of substance in explanation for why it is so loved, which is odd on Fuck Combustion. Can you just explain your personal theory for why the Zion works so well? ANYTHING other than the word "revolutionary." I just want a real reason to order and wait patiently because as of now I know nothing beyond removable batteries and a ton of pictures of the exterior.

Sorry man, posted that before i saw you're post, then tried to edit but it was too long! :doh: So here you go, everyone else look away, bc me and YungLearner seem to be a very similar type of caaraaaazy :ko:

...... @Shit Snacks can you give me anything?

:lol: well put despite the length! Now I know why you tagged me at the end, just my style lol Totally with you bud, let me know if this helps, I will try to explain how it "works" and compare that with some other touch points (also its actually more than 10 owners now too btw, and way more have used it as Krazy said :p):

So in essence, there is a stainless steel heater with a fairly massive surface area (this is part of where the patent comes in) which uses mica as an insulator (first it was glass in alpha units, but that proved too much of a heat sink for low temps, more reliant on heat soaking to really get going unless maxed out). Part of what happened in that 3 month delay to perfect said heater, is the other part of the heater patent, it is now constructed in a specific way or shape to better vortex airflow through the heater and in turn through the herbs, providing a much more even extraction (the beta heaters could get away without any stirring too, but the production heaters can do this much more consistently). I do not have my Grasshopper yet, but I know it is supposed to have its own vortex airpath allowing hot air to swirl through the load as well (I think its heater is two cones)

Anyway this large steel mass will climb in temp 0-500F in seconds when the trigger is pressed, it can actually keep climbing as it is an open loop device, but it will start to plateau, climbing at a slower rate than it did at the start, much like the Firefly as detailed in its little graph that it comes with. This is also similar to how the Thermovapes would heat when the batteries make contact, and the way Milaana works direct off the battery as well. Where Zion is different, is its computer chip and potentiometer which allow for voltage regulation similar to a log with a vvps, however here the best way to think about it is that the knob adjusts the rate the heater climbs in temp. It also sets a limit for the plateau, so if you are at 25% it is extremely difficult to combust, but not necessarily impossible if you push it by holding the trigger for an excessive amount of time (at that level would probably be over a minute, and no longer than 30sec is advised in the manual). The way it climbs in temp allows the heater to keep up with any draw really, it does not need to recover temp like a log or Evo after a hit, but like Evo it really doesn't seem possible to outdraw it during a hit.

The way you load and draw is glass stems much like a log, used UD basket style or E-Nano adjust-a-bowl style, but they use an 18mm US joint GonG connection instead of glass to steel (or glass in a HIbrid) so they sit in securely. When the trigger is pressed, you will be drawing from the glass straw, air will enter the hole in the wood at the bottom and travel right through the steel mass heater (which may or may not be sheethed in glass, unsure on final design there) in some sort of vortex, through the steel heater screen at the bottom of the 18mm female bowl, and then the herb loaded in the stem. To produce optimal smooth tasty cloudy vapor, it helps to start slow and build turbulence (like a Daisy and its carb) through the load as the heater is climbing in temp and then increase your draw speed along with the heater, letting go of the button as you feel the vapor in your throat (or even seeing it in the long glass tube) and continuing to draw to pull residual heat and clear the hit. Used in this manner it is very pure convection, and as such the first hit can be more tasty wispy before becoming a fog machine, but this also depends on where the knob is set of course, along with inhalation and herbal variables. It doesn't have a fan or precise temp control, so it is still very manual pure convection despite the regulation (Milaana is even more manual)

When hits are taken back to back, the steel mass becomes more heat soaked so temp rises more quickly at the same dial setting. This is why many do a quick preheat of 5sec at max temp to get things going before lowering the dial down low (or wherever they want it) and then beginning their session. Of course it can be used on demand at any %, but you may need to draw slower at first or even preheat a few seconds without drawing depending where you are on the knob. The knob also works very well for temp stepping, though some level of that can be controlled with a user's draw and the trigger as well. With back to back hits, particularly at a high %, there can be some slight conduction to the glass chamber, similar to the Evo you described, even in the Firefly and logs sometimes. This can also help prevent the need to stir, and allow the Zion the vape pretty much any herb not matter how poor the quality. For me it could actually reveal a strain with poor taste and/or effects, it always seemed to produce solid vapor regardless, but it made me more of a snob for quality as well (Firefly and Evo can do this as well, but I find the Zion more effective at it personally, have not tried an Herbalizer, but Elevape is also very good at this, just has more quirks otherwise).

This is why I like to describe Zion as the MFLSV. It's simple style of off the shelf parts with wood and on demand nature, along with the power control knob and wide open airflow, plus pure convection power from a large heater and strong power source. For me it outperformed the LSV in speed and control, plus even extraction now with that vortex in the production heater, ofcourse it is far more portable as well, nowhere near as stealth as the MFLB, but worlds more powerful than that obviously. Similar to Evo it somehow excels with hydratubes, and can milk up a bong or bubbler easily, but I also use it dry mostly as that is the goal for any portable. That is also how Zion and Milaana were designed to be used, and they do it exceedingly well.

Manual convection vapes aren't for everybody (clearly neither is pre ordering), but in my experience they often provide the greatest reward, getting you as close to combustion as possible at any temperature. Even a low temp hit in Zion or Daisy can provide a more full bodied signature than a similar hit from an automatic vape like Evo in my opinion (one shared by a few friends who used Triihouse to fuckcombustion themselves). There are ofcourse pros and cons to each, and that is part of why many of us have such vast collections, but when it comes down to it, vapes like Daisy/Lily and Zion/Milaana are exactly what I think vaping should be, judging purely on performance, the end result of each hit or session, whatever you wish to get out of it... But the competition is getting fierce and I still have more to try of course! This tech has been the closest thing to a vas cure for me, but as most of us know there is probably no cure ;):freak:

Last edited:

YungLeaner

Sorry man, posted that before ibsaw you're post, then tried tonedit but it was too long! :doh: So here you go, everyone else look away, bc me and YungLearer seem to be a similar type of caaraaaazy :ko:

:lol: well put despite the length! Now I know why you tagged me at the end, just my style lol Totally with you bud, let me know if this helps, I will try to explain how it "works" and compare that with some other touch points (also its actually more than 10 users now too btw :p):

So in essence, there is a stainless steel heater with a fairly massive surface area (this is part of where the patent comes in) which uses mica as an insulator (first it was glass in alpha units, but that proved too much of a heat sink for low temps, more reliant on heat soaking to really get going unless maxed out). Part of what happened in that 3 month delay to perfect said heater, is the other part of the heater patent, it is now constructed in a specific way or shape to better vortex airflow through the heater and in turn through the herbs, providing a much more even extraction (the beta heaters could get away without any stirring too, but the production heaters can do this much more consistently). I do not have my Grasshopper yet, but I know it is supposed to have its own vortex airpath allowing hit air to swirl through the load as well.

Anyway this large steel mass will climb in temp 0-500F in seconds when the trigger is pressed, it can actually keep climbing as it is an open loop device, but it will start to plateau, climbing at a slower rate than it did at the start, much like the Firefly as detailed in its little graph that it comes with. This is also similar to how the Thermovapes would heat when the batteries make contact, and the way Milaana works direct off the battery as well. Where Zion is different, is its computer chip and potentiometer which allow for voltage regulation similar to a log with a vvps, however here the best way to think about it is that the knob adjusts the rate the heater climbs in temp. It also sets a limit for the plateau, so if you are at 25% it is extremely difficult to combust, but not necessarily impossible if you push it by holding the trigger for an excessive amount of time (at that level would probably be over a minute, and no longer than 30sec is advised in the manual). The way it climbs in temp allows the heater to keep up with any draw really, it does not need to recover temp like a log or Evo after a hit, but like Evo it really doesn't seem possible to outdraw it during a hit.

The way you load and draw is glass stems much like a log, used UD basket style or E-Nano adjust-a-bowl style, but they use an 18mm US joint GonG connection instead of glass to steel (or glass in a HIbrid) so they sit in securely. When the trigger is pressed, you will be drawing from the glass straw, air will enter the hole in the wood at the bottom and travel right through the steel mass heater (which may or may not be sheethed in glass, unsure on final design there) in some sort of vortex, through the steel heater screen at the bottom of the 18mm female bowl, and then the herb loaded in the stem. To produce optimal smooth tasty cloudy vapor, it helps to start slow and build turbulence (like a Daisy and its carb) through the load as the heater is climbing in temp and then increase your draw speed along with the heater, letting go of the button as you feel the vapor in your throat (or even seeing it in the long glass tube) and continuing to draw to pull residual heat and clear the hit. Used in this manner it is very pure convection, and as such the first hit can be more tasty wispy before becoming a fog machine, but this also depends on where the knob is set of course, along with inhalation and herbal variables. It doesn't have a fan or precise temp control, so it is still very manual pure convection despite the regulation (Milaana is even more manual)

When hits are taken back to back, the steel mass becomes more heat soaked so temp rises more quickly at the same dial setting. This is why many do a quick preheat of 5sec at max temp to get things going before lowering the dial down low (or wherever they want it) and then beginning their session. Of course it can be used on demand at any %, but you may need to draw slower at first or even preheat a few seconds without drawing depending where you are on the knob. The knob also works very well for temp stepping, though some level of that can be controlled with a user's draw and the trigger as well. With back to back hits, particularly at a high %, there can be some slight conduction to the glass chamber, similar to the Evo you described, even in the Firefly and logs sometimes. This can also help prevent the need to stir, and allow the Zion the vape pretty much any herb not matter how poor the quality. For me it could actually reveal a strain with poor taste and/or effects, it always seemed to produce solid vapor regardless, but it made me more of a snob for quality as well (Firefly and Evo can do this as well, but I find the Zion more effective at it personally, have not tried an Herbalizer, but Elevape is also very good at this, just has more quirks otherwise).

This is why I like to describe Zion as the MFLSV. It's simple style and on demand nature, coupled with the voltage control knob and pure convection power from a large heater and strong power source. For me it outperformed the LSV in speed and control, plus even extraction now with that vortex in the production heater, ofcourse it is far more portable as well, nowher:peace:e near as stealth as the MFLB, but worlds more powerful than that obviously. Similar to Evo it somehow excels with hydratubes, and can milk up a bong or bubbler easily, but I also use it dry mostly as that is the goal for any portable. That is also how Zion and Milaana were designed to be used, and they do it exceedingly well.

Manual convection vapes aren't for everybody (clearly neither is pre ordering), but in my experience they often provide the greatest reward, getting you as close to combustion as possible at any temperature. Even a low temp hit in Zion or Daisy can provide a more full bodied signature than a similar hit from an automatic vape like Evo in my opinion (one shared by a few friends who used Triihouse to fuckcombustion themselves). There are ofcourse pros and cons to each, and that is part of why many of us have such vast collections, but when it comes down to it, vapes like Daisy/Lily and Zion/Milaana are exactly what I think vaping should be, judging purely on performance, the end result of each hit or session, whatever you wish to get out of it... But the competition is getting fierce and I still have more to try of course!

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes :) :)
THANK you. I really was going nuts over here trying to piece together all the different bits of info I had learned from this thread to understand the Zion. If there's a Best Of thread, then I nominate this because for once I finally understand why everyone's head is spinning about this vaporizer. It's interesting, because even though you call it an MFLSV it sounds remarkably better than either of those vaporizers, neither of which I have had much patience for. It's also interesting to me that you find ease of dry hits to be the standard, because what excites me most about the Zion is easily inversion on my water pipes. I don't use an of my vapes dry unless I have to--I find that a low diffusion perc offers a ton in smoothness and size and ease of hit while taking away very little flavor. While it is technically manual, the Zion sounds very idiot proof in actual operation which is a big benefit to me. I like to tinker around a little bit, but for the most part I just want fat rips through a bubbler, as tasty as possible.

To be honest, that explanation makes me think that this whole Zion/Milaana confusion could have been avoided if the Zion was priced higher. Top of the line products can suffer in sales when they aren't priced as such, which is kind of a bizarre facet of economic supply and demand theory. It sounds like the kind of thing I would save up 300$ for, and even though I'm not patient enough for a pre-order I'll probably become such a fan once it becomes available through retailers that people will be bashing me on Reddit as well.

Thanks again, really a service to the community. Peace & Love, I'll stop writing essays now. As always, it's been real
:peace::peace: over&out

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
If you want to smash it up with the king of extaction IMO, the vape that will brown nug chunks perfectly all the way through without ever breaking them up check out the Supreme.

The Zion just takes up such little space and the fact i can walk around the house and outside with it just makes it my top choice for months.

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
@YungLeaner
Fact: the Zion has near instant heat up to vaporizing temps.
Fact: The Zion air path is wide open. The large diameter of the bowl provides nearly unrestricted flow.
Fact: there is zero plastic in the Zion air path.
Fact: Zion heats up so fast that it is possible to space draws out so it is possible to have nearly zero conduction or radiant heat.

GTAVaper

Wow! Awesome post Shit Snacks!

I hope that satisfies everyone as a great description of what is happening within the heart of a Zion/Milaana in order to make it perform so well.

I am really enjoying all of the vapes I have right now (although it's been awhile since I've had some "Extreme Luv'n going on" :\ and so I am able to patiently wait for my Milaana.

I think that all of the vapes that I have on my "pre-order" and wishlist will satisfy every scenario that I might be looking for......although, I might also complete my collection with a Vapcap/Vapman (undecided right now), Hammer Pro and a Supreme Vaporizer to delve into the realm of torch vaping.

I would really love for someone to PM me ........or please direct me to any thread that has a "Sublimator vs Supreme" vaporizer comparison as I would only want to deal with one "burn hazardous" device......and the speed of the Supreme heat up over a longer term heat soaking for the Sub really does have some appeal.

There are some really awesome vaporizers currently, or just coming to market right now. I have enough love to share for all of my vape children :love:

dac13

Sorry man, posted that before i saw you're post, then tried to edit but it was too long! :doh: So here you go, everyone else look away, bc me and YungLearner seem to be a very similar type of caaraaaazy :ko:

:lol: well put despite the length! Now I know why you tagged me at the end, just my style lol Totally with you bud, let me know if this helps, I will try to explain how it "works" and compare that with some other touch points (also its actually more than 10 owners now too btw, and way more have used it as Krazy said :p):

So in essence, there is a stainless steel heater with a fairly massive surface area (this is part of where the patent comes in) which uses mica as an insulator (first it was glass in alpha units, but that proved too much of a heat sink for low temps, more reliant on heat soaking to really get going unless maxed out). Part of what happened in that 3 month delay to perfect said heater, is the other part of the heater patent, it is now constructed in a specific way or shape to better vortex airflow through the heater and in turn through the herbs, providing a much more even extraction (the beta heaters could get away without any stirring too, but the production heaters can do this much more consistently). I do not have my Grasshopper yet, but I know it is supposed to have its own vortex airpath allowing hot air to swirl through the load as well (I think its heater is two cones)

This is why I like to describe Zion as the MFLSV. It's simple style of off the shelf parts with wood and on demand nature, along with the power control knob and wide open airflow, plus pure convection power from a large heater and strong power source. For me it outperformed the LSV in speed and control, plus even extraction now with that vortex in the production heater, ofcourse it is far more portable as well, nowhere near as stealth as the MFLB, but worlds more powerful than that obviously. Similar to Evo it somehow excels with hydratubes, and can milk up a bong or bubbler easily, but I also use it dry mostly as that is the goal for any portable. That is also how Zion and Milaana were designed to be used, and they do it exceedingly well.

Manual convection vapes aren't for everybody (clearly neither is pre ordering), but in my experience they often provide the greatest reward, getting you as close to combustion as possible at any temperature. Even a low temp hit in Zion or Daisy can provide a more full bodied signature than a similar hit from an automatic vape like Evo in my opinion (one shared by a few friends who used Triihouse to fuckcombustion themselves). There are ofcourse pros and cons to each, and that is part of why many of us have such vast collections, but when it comes down to it, vapes like Daisy/Lily and Zion/Milaana are exactly what I think vaping should be, judging purely on performance, the end result of each hit or session, whatever you wish to get out of it... But the competition is getting fierce and I still have more to try of course! This tech has been the closest thing to a vas cure for me, but as most of us know there is probably no cure ;):freak:

so helpful and answers a lot of questions. definitely a "best of" post. thanks:tup:

Shit Snacks

Just for the record, my issue is that Zion production is being halted for the Milaana! Not simply impatience as some may be implying.

Not really halted for that reason, the halt was for the QC given the 3 most recent shipped production units had issues. He had Even discussed such a pause after 20-30 Zions before producing the rest for this very reason. It is taking longer bc apparently it entails implementation of a new potentiometer/knob. Of course it can be argued that Milaana work does take away focus on some level, but imo it is just effective multitasking bc Milaana is so much simpler and cheaper to produce. It's creation actually came out of a lack of demand for Zion, and a greater demand for a smaller single battery model at a lower cost.

Other than that, the zion is on a dimmer.

It is actually voltage control, so more than a dimmer I believe. Think more vvps UD HI than dimmer E-Nano UD

PSA: Anyone in Southern California with a Zion that is willing to share the love--feel free to PM me, and I'll show up wherever you want with an eighth of some fantastic kush to run through the Zion.

How South? Kush you say? Actually just relocated to Cali and could use some new people to chill with... PM to apply ;)

IMO: The difference isn't the lack of control, it is the amount of heat.

Very true, but not necessarily amount of heat, but type of heat I suppose. Like ofcourse a flame is heat in such a pure strong form, but you can control how much of it you pull into the Daisy/Lily based on draw, load, carb, and flame position. With Zion something about that steel mass just works so well at maintaining its temp like a flame so you can draw that heat in a similarly effective manor in my experience. So yeah it's not lack of control, if anything it's more control actually, gives the user full manual control. For some than can entail a steep learning curve, for others it is extremely intuitive, and many seem to feel Zion is more predisposed to the latter at least.

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes :) :)
THANK you. I really was going nuts over here trying to piece together all the different bits of info I had learned from this thread to understand the Zion. If there's a Best Of thread, then I nominate this because for once I finally understand why everyone's head is spinning about this vaporizer. It's interesting, because even though you call it an MFLSV it sounds remarkably better than either of those vaporizers, neither of which I have had much patience for. It's also interesting to me that you find ease of dry hits to be the standard, because what excites me most about the Zion is easily inversion on my water pipes. I don't use an of my vapes dry unless I have to--I find that a low diffusion perc offers a ton in smoothness and size and ease of hit while taking away very little flavor. While it is technically manual, the Zion sounds very idiot proof in actual operation which is a big benefit to me. I like to tinker around a little bit, but for the most part I just want fat rips through a bubbler, as tasty as possible.

To be honest, that explanation makes me think that this whole Zion/Milaana confusion could have been avoided if the Zion was priced higher. Top of the line products can suffer in sales when they aren't priced as such, which is kind of a bizarre facet of economic supply and demand theory. It sounds like the kind of thing I would save up 300$ for, and even though I'm not patient enough for a pre-order I'll probably become such a fan once it becomes available through retailers that people will be bashing me on Reddit as well.

Thanks again, really a service to the community. Peace & Love, I'll stop writing essays now. As always, it's been real
:peace::peace: over&out

A pleasure man, happy to help :tup:

Yes I actually have never used an mflb still somehow, even thought I had gifted one to my sister and her husband a year or so ago! But yes, I absolutely find Zion to perform better than the LSV, and even the UD that replaced it for me, both of those I used pretty much exclusively through water as well. Don't get me wrong it is a huge benefit of Zion too, makes it easy to kill a load in a hit or two depending on size and the other variables. Using an inline honeycomb bubbler is what helped me master the UD, taking a deep smooth steady draw to allow for proper convection to take place, and I used my beta Zion that way a lot. However with the production heater in both of my rough Zions, I do find it even easier to use dry, and water can help you step it up on the weekend, hydratubes are a nice happy medium actually. I use it dry the most bc it is just plain easier, no extra glass to deal with, no table necessary, and right now all my glass I still packed away in fact (btw another fair combo description could be Firefly meets Solo in a sense, similarly way better than both overall imo)

Oh and price wise, yes! This is why it was raised, it performs almost without any compromise like a desktop. I bought a Cloud Evo to tide me over while i waited after busting my beta, and then when Zion came back better than ever I had to sell it so it wouldn't just collect dust. I would not be surpised at all if retailers end up charging $350 for Zion, and if I paid that price like I did for Evo i would be extremely satisfied personally, it can truly be a one and done vape imo

So Zion flagship, Milaana entry level, we'll see what else comes out of this "disruptive" tech once these two really get going... Hopefully it is not too far away, but imo it is absolutely worth waiting for, even though i am lucky enough to have waited less :D (but look at these walls of text, did I not fucking earn it?! :ko:)

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
I understand all of your points! I'm not shitting on you, RBT, or even upset in any way. But how is it that no one can explain in somewhat technical detail HOW the vaporizer works so well? I've literally read almost nothing of substance in explanation for why it is so loved, which is odd on Fuck Combustion. Can you just explain your personal theory for why the Zion works so well? ANYTHING other than the word "revolutionary." I just want a real reason to order and wait patiently because as of now I know nothing beyond removable batteries and a ton of pictures of the exterior.
As the Zion progressed, as you should know, the heater increased in size until a perfect size to air ratio was formed. I believe the air hole is positioned to cause turbulence like the GH has. Thru trial and error, progressing to the Mica Insulation, proved to be a huge leap for vapor signature quality.
We aren't scientists. We are Guinea pigs. We compare foods that taste better, and pick the better tasting food.
When people are choosing to grab their Zions over their Evos and Nanos and LSVs...when they think this new food is better than the food they've been eating for years and fully enjoying...is something to be impressed about.
I never thought I'd find an artist I liked more than Pretty lights....then I found Infected Mushroom. I cannot scientifically say why I prefer one over the other, but I listen, and it becomes clear.

I take comparisons both very lightly and seriously. When someone compares their Zion, not to an LSV, or a Log, but to the evo...I'm both skeptical and orgasmically impressed.

If you can't trust the judgment of your peers, the only thing you can do is have faith and try it, or be skeptical and bail.

Edit: just realized a lot of this was mentioned. Still have my own points but still ... Oops

Last edited:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Well, then perhaps it's the tone and I know that the Zion is very simple electronics-wise. But there hasn't been much continued technical discussion and that's a fact. At this point, it would almost be more convincing to hear the issues the Z-team is having which seem to be few and far in between. Are there hot spots when vaporizing, requiring a stir? Does the stem ever get warm on your lips? Does the stem heat up enough during a fairly long session to add a tinge of conduction? Is the airflow wide-open like a 7th floor vape, leaving temperature almost entirely up to the user almost regardless of knob placement? I seem to remember early reports saying that it was more user friendly than that, but that's another thing I would like to know. How does it work with concentrates? How does it work with unground bud? Does the deep bowl placement mean there is some amount of radiant heat being applied to the bud, essentially "pre-heating" it for a good hit, or would the bud be cold to the touch left sitting in a Zion at near max temp?
These are all questions that have been satisfactorily answered in the 7th floor Sidekick thread and it's literally 26 pages long, while 80-90% of Zion user reports have used catchphrases like "Mindblowing" and "Magic." I'm not even denying that the vape could feel magical, I just want to know why and there seems to be a negative attitude towards technical discussion of this vaporizer, even in regards to theoretically non-patented components.

You said you've read the entire thread. All of your questions here and in your previous post have been answered in this thread, most of them by me. Many of them have been answered multiple times by several of the beta testers. Perhaps all you need to do is refresh your memory.

I would even venture to say the Zion may be difficult for a first time vaporist to master, like many of the torch powered vapes. Reason is, there is a ton of power and it comes very quickly.

I disagree here. I believe the Zion is one of the easiest to master. There is a lot of power but it is easily controlled. It is not easy to reach combustion even with the power knob set to full. The heating curve rises sharply in the first few seconds and then levels off, rising much more slowly. The power knob determines where the curve bends, indirectly controlling the temperature. Because the heating curve flattens significantly, even a novice can pick up on changes in the vapour stream that signal combustion is near.

Edit: :doh: Somehow I missed that there was another page of posts before I replied, so I hadn't seen the detailed reply from @Shit Snacks. Nice summary of what has been posted earlier! ;)

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

You said you've read the entire thread. All of your questions here and in your previous post have been answered in this thread, most of them by me. Many of them have been answered multiple times by several of the beta testers. Perhaps all you need to do is refresh your memory.

I disagree here. I believe the Zion is one of the easiest to master. There is a lot of power but it is easily controlled. It is not easy to reach combustion even with the power knob set to full. The heating curve rises sharply in the first few seconds and then levels off, rising much more slowly. The power knob determines where the curve bends, indirectly controlling the temperature. Because the heating curve flattens significantly, even a novice can pick up on changes in the vapour stream that signal combustion is near.

Edit: :doh: Somehow I missed that there was another page of posts before I replied, so I hadn't seen the detailed reply from @Shit Snacks. Nice summary of what has been posted earlier! ;)

Haha thanks Pak, apparently my patience knows no limits, but even so good get another perspective in and its been a while since you've piped up!

Yes I should mention I had a foreign ladyfriend who did not smoke at all much less vape, she had zero trouble getting huge clouds from Zion without scorching, nor have other ladyfriends with plenty combustion experience.

The knob helps render combustion nearly impossible, but the intuitive way in which the Zion works allows most anyone to master it in my experience. What was that slogan again? Effortlessly versatile

YungLeaner

Sorry, my bad. Tried to refresh my memory but was having a hard time putting it all together, and the ever-generous beta testers really did a fantastic job at summarizing the vape's abilities in a way that felt much-needed in a thread so overwrought with shipping complaints and debates about the character of a man most of us don't know.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Sorry, my bad. Tried to refresh my memory but was having a hard time putting it all together, and the ever-generous beta testers really did a fantastic job at summarizing the vape's abilities in a way that felt much-needed in a thread so overwrought with shipping complaints and debates about the character of a man most of us don't know.
Few are questioning the vape itself, we're aware of the potential. Most are just upset at how "slow" (subjective) it's progressing.

AJS,
Reactions: Farkas

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
If I make no mistakes there were no shipping notice for more than a month, around 20 units in total out in the wild (and some to the beta team/ZTeam). That being said, should we consider zion missed his official launch and regressed in some sort of beta phase (with test of alternatives knob and glues) and maybe move this thread back between his pairs (upcoming) in order to not create confusion for a possible customer? @pakalolo ?

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Woweeeeee! The view of the cosmos is otherworldly from up here!

Just had a mindblowing session with the Zion.

Pure fuckin' magik! :p
neil-gif-o.gif

Feeling entitled? Please take one:
1000051698_909_1.jpg

Oh what the hell, take2!
;)

We live to serve.
:peace:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped

Awesome post and many thanks!! Has to be the longest FC post I read every word of - and more than a few of them twice. :tup:

AJS

Calm Consistency
If I make no mistakes there were no shipping notice for more than a month, around 20 units in total out in the wild (and some to the beta team/ZTeam). That being said, should we consider zion missed his official launch and regressed in some sort of beta phase (with test of alternatives knob and glues) and maybe move this thread back between his pairs (upcoming) in order to not create confusion for a possible customer? @pakalolo ?
Possible customers aren't even able to order currently.

People have gotten production units, that's what meets the qualifications to be in the portable section.
While he is testing different adhesives and fixes, I don't think that's considered a beta, as he's remedying a problem of what is a pretty permanent production unit.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !

...Milaana is so much simpler and cheaper to produce. It's creation actually came out of a lack of demand for Zion, and a greater demand for a smaller single battery model at a lower cost.

Interesting. Maybe RBT might consider testing the demand for the Zion with a 420 sale price on the Zion? Say, allow the retailers a sufficient margin (or other incentive) to drop the price by $42.00 (420) and see how that impacts demand, as well as word of mouth advertising on Zion performance.

Just a thought...:shrug:

AJS

Calm Consistency

Interesting. Maybe RBT might consider testing the demand for the Zion with a 420 sale price on the Zion? Say, allow the retailers a sufficient margin (or other incentive) to drop the price by $42.00 (420) and see how that impacts demand, as well as word of mouth advertising on Zion performance.

Just a thought...:shrug:

Negative, captain.
I wish this too, but seems doubtful. I ordered in February and am expected July, which seems like a stretch.
I very very highly doubt he'll want to add more orders to a unit he's struggling to get out. I think he really wants to push the Milaana (maybe 420 Milaana sales) until he can really master the production of the Zion. It's just a difficult beast to mass produce currently. I can't see him adding Zion orders for quite a while.

AJS,

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
It is actually voltage control, so more than a dimmer I believe. Think more vvps UD HI than dimmer E-Nano UD

Voltage control does sound cooler than dimmer. I think the end result is the same, a fraction of the power is going to the heater. One of us is saying tomato :p

Are there smarts to prevent the voltage from going too low to protect the batteries?

Shit Snacks

Negative, captain.
I wish this too, but seems doubtful. I ordered in February and am expected July, which seems like a stretch.
I very very highly doubt he'll want to add more orders to a unit he's struggling to get out. I think he really wants to push the Milaana (maybe 420 Milaana sales) until he can really master the production of the Zion. It's just a difficult beast to mass produce currently. I can't see him adding Zion orders for quite a while.

I believe he just meant for retailers, since Zion will be wholesale, and then they can sell it themselves at a lower price. Because chances are retailers will charge more, and as we did say, as the mobile desktop RBT flagship, Zion can certainly command it. But those retailers love to do coupon codes, especially for 420, we'll see if they have product by then, but does seem they may have Milaana before Zion as mentioned. The opportunity to get Zion for just $150 and then $200 was there for a while, just had to be an early order aka believer (makes me want to say belieber... RBelieverT?!)

Voltage control does sound cooler than dimmer. I think the end result is the same, a fraction of the power is going to the heater. One of us is saying tomato :p

Are there smarts to prevent the voltage from going too low to protect the batteries?

Yeah I don't know electronics all that well, but I believe there is a difference between the two. Someone like Dave @underdog should of course know more as he does recommend either option now. As far as performance is concerned, true that for the end user there is probably no discernable difference. It is just a power control knob as I like to call it ;)

And yes, there is a voltage cutoff at around 3.7 or so to protect batteries from any over discharge (which wouldn't happen til under 3v as i understand it). With batteries starting around 4.2v fully charged, that does give you the 8-15 bowl number we've been throwing around. In Milaana there is no protection, but you notice the performance decline, taking longer to heat at that level, so I've never had batteries go lower than 3.62v there either, and unusually stop closer to 3.8 myself. Total bowls for Milaana is 4-6 on one battery, just under half of Zion, all depending on useage ofcourse. The voltage regulation in Zion keeps performance consistent based on the knob until the batteries hit the cutoff and need to be charged, even then you may be able to eke out more vapor at the max in my experience, but need to test that more probably now that I have a D2 charger...

Last edited:

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
With regards to the dimmer/vvps....vvps allows true voltage control, while a dimmer throttles voltage down from a source.

Ex: wall wart pumps 12 volts into Underdog, but that is too hot so I can use a dimmer to give my UD less volts and make it cooler.

Ex2: wall wart pumps 12 volts into my Underdog, but my dog runs cool. I can use variable voltage control to give it 13 volts instead.

Not sure if that helps or how pertinent, just how I always interperted

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

Since it is not available for order and both the order queue and the warranty queue are stalled, this thread has been demoted.

Top Bottom