Zeal and Ω

GratefulDread

Ceroma just has holes in the ceramic, no steel mesh (apart from the top hat mesh with mine as I never received the top nut as it was a gift to test balling)
Ahh okay, cool. Any perceptible difference in flavor when the mesh screen is on vs not?
E: The ceramic Tiodw has shown me that a ceramic baller is worth having, and now I'll be buying one of these nicer ones.

Alligator427

First impressions are pretty awesome. I can definitely bring down the temps a lot from the SS version.

This is 466F:

Absolutely obliterated the bowl in two hits. Very dark brown duff. Surprising SNAP of flavor on the first hit. I suspect the zirconia helped to keep that present even with the quick extraction through water.

Really fun so far. I am going to enjoy experimenting with this. It turned out pretty looking too. Nice polished finish.

I'll be sharing more after I have spent some time with it.
Big difference with the B1 from CH for the flavor ?
Most of the surface in the airflow come from the balls in this kind of head.

sadeinmytapedek

First impressions are pretty awesome. I can definitely bring down the temps a lot from the SS version.

This is 466F:

Absolutely obliterated the bowl in two hits. Very dark brown duff. Surprising SNAP of flavor on the first hit. I suspect the zirconia helped to keep that present even with the quick extraction through water.

Really fun so far. I am going to enjoy experimenting with this. It turned out pretty looking too. Nice polished finish.

I'll be sharing more after I have spent some time with it.
Funny you say this. After 4-5 attempts yesterday, Im on 467 for my closest one hit extraction. Im using the qaromashop multipurpose bowl which isn't a perfect fit, so i think thats preventing me from getting a lower temp. I posted links for both bowls above so you guys can see what i mean about higher side walls on this bowl. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy the qaromashop multipurpose bowl unless you need more space for material. I already had this before i purchased the zeal and its my only 22m diffuser option at the moment. I have a feeling once i get the smaller FP size glass bowl, the one hit extraction will be much easier/smoother! Im pretty sure IDB will have them on his site once he gets more in stock.

I have to say the open air flow from the screen at the bottom severely lowers my inhale speed, so I've been adjusting all day yesterday. Hopefully the optional machined zirc screens will allow me to get back to my normal inhale speed without worrying about the material combusting. I find i can get close to my preferred inhale speed at 465-470 but the material doesn't start to milk as quickly as Im used to because of the the bigger bowl.

More testing for me today, so once i get a decent heat setting and inhale speed down packed, I can upload a video. For anyone worried about the screen on the bottom vs machined holed enclosure, don't worry too much. This is actually the best way to do this and make everyone happy. Im totally fine with paying for the optional screen later and having the ability to use this device in more ways (having extremely open air path and also the more restricted option for us quick inhalers). If you want something a little more secure just insert a screen with a larger diameter or wait for the zirc machined screen inserts. The ruby's are definitely secure even with the smaller screen that comes with the Zeal. Just be sure not to overfill if using a SS screen at bottom.

So far, all i have is good things to say about the Zeal. Im still not sold completely on the taste vs quartz but its def taste better than titanium or SS.

Last edited:

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Big difference with the B1 from CH for the flavor ?
Most of the surface in the airflow come from the balls in this kind of head.
Yep. I'd say the flavor is much better. I actually prefer the flavor from the SS Zeal over the B1, but the Zirc Zeal tops them both by a wide margin. I have not tried a quartz head, but I would be surprised if it were any more neutral. (I'd still try one though).

The thing that really amazes me is how low the temp of the coil is. It's basically taking it to regular safe cooking levels. I run my CH B1 at around 600F and this thing is blowing it away at 450F. Much more improvement and my PID will be displaying my bowl temp! :-)

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

I will admit that i was pretty hesitant to get into this arena…..but honestly i am a bit excited😂

Ordered the coil and the rbk from VGoodiez. Just waiting until i get everything now.

Probably should have ordered a coil stand…..😂
I use a ceramic coffee cups to hold some of my vapes. Some people get really fancy and cut a slit. Not as elegant as some of the stands out there but it works well.

Madtater

I use a ceramic coffee cups to hold some of my vapes. Some people get really fancy and cut a slit. Not as elegant as some of the stands out there but it works well.
That is a great idea!

I will be honest, i am a bit of a tinkerer. I like to build shit in the garage. I also do a bit of woodworking when i feel froggy. I may just build something nice to hold it.

It will probably cost me a bit more than it would to buy one, but there is something oddly satisfying in making something yourself.

Yep. I'd say the flavor is much better. I actually prefer the flavor from the SS Zeal over the B1, but the Zirc Zeal tops them both by a wide margin. I have not tried a quartz head, but I would be surprised if it were any more neutral. (I'd still try one though).

The thing that really amazes me is how low the temp of the coil is. It's basically taking it to regular safe cooking levels. I run my CH B1 at around 600F and this thing is blowing it away at 450F. Much more improvement and my PID will be displaying my bowl temp! :-)
Why you gotta say shit like this when i literally just bought the SS zeal?

If my wife finds out about this shit, i am blaming you!

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Why you gotta say shit like this when i literally just bought the SS zeal?

If my wife finds out about this shit, i am blaming you!
The SS is pretty amazing still. Although I had originally only ordered the Zirc one and just got the SS one due to the pre-order price for zirc being so close to the final retail price. I am absolutely recommending the SS Zeal to everyone, but especially to people who want to dip their toe in the world of coil-driven ball vapes. It's punches way above its price.

snackmaster

For anyone worried about the screen on the bottom vs machined holed enclosure, don't worry too much. This is actually the best way to do this and make everyone happy. Im totally fine with paying for the optional screen later and having the ability to use this device in more ways (having extremely open air path and also the more restricted option for us quick inhalers). If you want something a little more secure just insert a screen with a larger diameter or wait for the zirc machined screen inserts. The ruby's are definitely secure even with the smaller screen that comes with the Zeal. Just be sure not to overfill if using a SS screen at bottom.
That last bit is key. The ledge size and screen flex interact in a way that I'm wary of any bulge in the stock screen. I haven't tried using a larger screen, but found doubling up 5/8" screens feels more secure.

edit: the CH double weave titanium screens are more rigid and also work well

Last edited:

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
So, is the steel version open on the bottom as well? Or is it properly closed?
The SS has holes machined in the bottom, the Zirconia model is using a SS mesh screen bit will have the option for a machined Zirconia screen if anyone wants one

Not sure why you would think that it wouldn't have airflow holes

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
The SS has holes machined in the bottom, the Zirconia model is using a SS mesh screen bit will have the option for a machined Zirconia screen if anyone wants one

Not sure why you would think that it wouldn't have airflow holes

I never thought it wouldn't have airflow holes (how the hell would the air get in without airflow holes?!?). What I meant by "properly closed at the bottom" is that it is closed on the bottom with machined holes, as opposed to a non-closed open bottom that requires a little screen just to hold the expensive little balls in.

Many other ball-vapes on the market also use a screen to hold the balls in, and I had no interest in them for that reason as well.

But thanks for letting me know that the Zirconia model will have an option for an add-on bottom. That's fantastic to hear, and it makes me feel a lot better now. I wanted the zirconia for the better flavor, and that info makes me still want one now, once the part is released.

Or, maybe I'm just being an irrational dumbass, hanging up on the screen issue. Maybe I'm completely wrong.
Maybe I should "fuck around and find out" anyways? lol :razz:

Last edited:

Madtater

so zeal is supposed to get here today and the controller on friday:

Just curious what everyone who has it already is using for grind size. Almost seems like coarse would be best and fine would be too much. For my roffu i am using medium to med fine (depending how i feel).

Light and fluffy or fine and packed solid?

Madtater,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

Just curious what everyone who has it already is using for grind size. Almost seems like coarse would be best and fine would be too much. For my roffu i am using medium to med fine (depending how i feel).

For pretty much all my ball vapes like this I prefer a medium to coarse grind. But I'm not sure it makes much difference. I have used a fine grind in my Shovelhead bowl to get a little more conduction action, but it wasn't really that different.
For the Zeal, I'm not really stirring that much just because it seems to work really quickly and efficiently. But I do usually give it a stir before I called it cashed.

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
I never thought it wouldn't have airflow holes (how the hell would the air get in without airflow holes?!?). What I meant by "properly closed at the bottom" is that it is closed on the bottom with machined holes, as opposed to a non-closed open bottom that requires a little screen just to hold the expensive little balls in.

Many other ball-vapes on the market also use a screen to hold the balls in, and I had no interest in them for that reason as well.

But thanks for letting me know that the Zirconia model will have an option for an add-on bottom. That's fantastic to hear, and it makes me feel a lot better now. I wanted the zirconia for the better flavor, and that info makes me still want one now, once the part is released.

Or, maybe I'm just being an irrational dumbass, hanging up on the screen issue. Maybe I'm completely wrong.
Maybe I should "fuck around and find out" anyways? lol :razz:
😂😂 I know people say they notice a big difference between mesh screen and machined but I don't see a huge difference
The biggest factor I've found for airflow is the grind, a fine grind will clog when heated

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

IDB loves a pretty fine grind actually... :tup:

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Anyone who was waiting to buy a coil, 710 Coils just started their 4/20 sale. That's a great price on a great coil. I just bought one myself:
thumbnail
Also, I can't believe how much lower my Zirc runs than the SS. I really liked the Stainless Steel, but I just had a perfect session at 420F, which is much lower than my usual on my other heads. Still putting it through its paces, but I am super impressed.

SquirrelMaster

Anyone who was waiting to buy a coil, 710 Coils just started their 4/20 sale. That's a great price on a great coil. I just bought one myself:

Also, I can't believe how much lower my Zirc runs than the SS. I really liked the Stainless Steel, but I just had a perfect session at 420F, which is much lower than my usual on my other heads. Still putting it through its paces, but I am super impressed.
Did they restock any of the deep 20mm? I didn't see them go live and I've been sort of watching.

SquirrelMaster,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Question to those who know more about material sciences and engineering than I do...since we have to stretch the existing coils for this...does anyone know if it is healthier for the overall life of the coil to do the stretching when it's cold or hot, or maybe somewhere in-between? Or does it not make any significant difference at all?

Last edited:
Top Bottom