You people who like the taste of bud.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I used to be able to taste different flavors in flower, but after vaping concentrates for so long all flower now has the same vegetal flavor when vaped. It makes me a little sad as I like some flower every now and then, but now it's not that enjoyable. I do taste a lot of the flavor differences in concentrates though.

I also used to love the smell and taste of burning a joint. Now that just tastes like shit.

JCat

Accessory Maker
I used to be able to taste different flavors in flower, but after vaping concentrates for so long all flower now has the same vegetal flavor when vaped. It makes me a little sad as I like some flower every now and then, but now it's not that enjoyable. I do taste a lot of the flavor differences in concentrates though.

I also used to love the smell and taste of burning a joint. Now that just tastes like shit.
I felt the same for quite a while … the Neo though got me to fall back in love with the flavour of flower, and also these days really enjoy the Tafee and my Firewood7 although my preference is still rosin most of the time.

howie105

Labrador?

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I felt the same for quite a while … the Neo though got me to fall back in love with the flavour of flower, and also these days really enjoy the Tafee and my Firewood7 although my preference is still rosin most of the time.
At first, I thought the problem was heating the herb too far in my dynavaps. I then went to the vape in my arsenal that would give me the best extraction of terps. When I was more of a flower vaper, whenever I picked up a new strain and wanted to really taste it in its truest form I would use my enano on a low setting (5.5-6.5) with the dry ice stem. Yet, still the same bland taste now.

I imagine if I continued to focus on herb for a while, eventually the flavors will return, but I just like concetrates too much. One positive which I've mentioned before, hitting a flower bowl after a hiatus of several weeks will give me one hellah high. I believe you build different tolerances in different forms of cannabis.

Labrador?
It's that shit that's tied to a stick.

howie105

At first, I thought the problem was heating the herb too far in my dynavaps. I then went to the vape in my arsenal that would give me the best extraction of terps. When I was more of a flower vaper, whenever I picked up a new strain and wanted to really taste it in its truest form I would use my enano on a low setting (5.5-6.5) with the dry ice stem. Yet, still the same bland taste now.

I imagine if I continued to focus on herb for a while, eventually the flavors will return, but I just like concetrates too much. One positive which I've mentioned before, hitting a flower bowl after a hiatus of several weeks will give me one hellah high. I believe you build different tolerances in different forms of cannabis.

It's that shit that's tied to a stick.
the seventies still live in the clouds.

GoldenBud

treat yourself with some whole nug, so tasty..:cheers:
prehit.jpg

sotasty.jpg

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I'm surprised (not!) how my fart question led to so many fart-related comments!
Also glad that my initial questions have led to some good reasoning and suggestions for @HunkaHunkaBucketFuckit and a couple of other folks, for trying to maximize flavor (and enjoyment).

Things I'm reminded of;
A very good friend had a bad accident that (among other things) crushed his skull; had a plate put in for a forehead. He lost all sense of smell and taste. Years later, now, macular degeneration has taken more than 50% of his vision. He's running low on senses! But he can still get sweet sounds from guitar, pedal steel, now dobro, and his vocal chords!

and
My daughter was reading something the other day about professional fart smellers (oh no! not the smart fellas/fart smellas pun!). I think the country was China, where fart smellers are trained in medical diagnosis. Reminded me of cancer-sniffing dogs.

HunkaHunkaBucketFuckit

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!
I just thought of this, what about kief? Now I probably would just buy hemp kief cause it's cheap as dirt but there shouldn't be a difference than THC.

Does kief have stronger flavor?

Also I have to give props to flowermate, even though they are on the cheap end they have excellent customer service! Always got me what I needed and even replaced my vape for free in the past. I didn't even have to send the old unit back, all that was wrong with the original unit is the battery compartment on the bottom broke.

HunkaHunkaBucketFuckit,
Reactions: Shrike

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I just thought of this, what about kief? Now I probably would just buy hemp kief cause it's cheap as dirt but there shouldn't be a difference than THC.

Does kief have stronger flavor?

Also I have to give props to flowermate, even though they are on the cheap end they have excellent customer service! Always got me what I needed and even replaced my vape for free in the past. I didn't even have to send the old unit back, all that was wrong with the original unit is the battery compartment on the bottom broke.

With a fine grind you burn through the flavor right away, there could be some strong flavor in kief, my experience was with free CBG kief when I got hemp flower in the mail, which did not taste very good, but it did have flavor... But after one hit it's gone? Fine grind can get you more vapor, whereas coarse grind can get you more flavor, typically...

recursive

To be honest I always just get a piney / citrus flavor but never something specific. I can’t say I’ve ever tasted gummy bears or something off of a “gummy bear” strain. But this could be that I always buy mids or lower. Maybe one day I will treat myself. But it’s hard to pass up 10 dollar eights at dispensaries in CA haha

recursive,

PDX MALE

I'm the opposite, I've always looked for the highest quality flower, and usually the "smell" was all that was allowed, sometimes not even. Not that there was always time to have a sample, and sit around and enjoy a beer with the product.

Most times it was a friend, or a friend of a friend, but a few were rather dicey, south florida was an interesting place to live between 1975-2000, some of characters were downright scary!

I always loved the smell of high quality, fresh herb, and that has always been more costly, even in the mid 1970's when I first started buying. Flavors from the selection Oregon offers has been an amazing experience, not unlike developing a taste for wine. Visiting the 3 dispensary's near me, I look forward too smelling each different strain, and can't wait to get home for a taste of each!

Sometimes I'm ready to break off a piece and try some right there in the shop, after I pay, but I remind myself that used to be getting a small smell was all you got, sometimes, you were just happy to walk away with, anything :goon:

Last edited:

recursive

I don't think he's smoking at all. I was under the impression that the OP was talking about vaporizing.

If you're getting smoke out of your vaporizers, then you're doing it wrong :shrug:
Yeah I think it would be extremely hard to taste some differences while smoking. Maybe some subtle ones. But I haven’t smoked in so long so I could be completely wrong :lol: I just never had the urge to go back to it after discovering vaping.

HunkaHunkaBucketFuckit

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!
I have been nose training recently with my bud, while I still cannot detect any major tastes within any vapor this may be my first step.

Not like I've never smelled my bud before, I'm just smelling it more often than I have in the past. Maybe it can develop something?

HunkaHunkaBucketFuckit,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Maybe it can develop something?

You definitely can train your nose – it might help to have a look at leafly.com for your specific strain to understand which aromatic classification it has.

One of my other hobbies is perfume (yeah yeah, I know), and one of the big things for perfume aficionados is detecting notes; as a beginner you will have a hard time even separating incense from flowers, but if you keep training, you can improve that by quite a lot.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
You definitely can train your nose – it might help to have a look at leafly.com for your specific strain to understand which aromatic classification it has.

One of my other hobbies is perfume (yeah yeah, I know), and one of the big things for perfume aficionados is detecting notes; as a beginner you will have a hard time even separating incense from flowers, but if you keep training, you can improve that by quite a lot.
I find perfume fascinating. The science of scent is super interesting. My favorite episode of the miniseries, Articles of Interest, is the Perfume one. Also I think smelling your bud is a great idea. Helps to build an enjoyable sensory experience and ritual.

florduh

I find every strain I get has a unique flavor profile. But I can't really translate it into language. Besides this one tastes "fruity" or "gassy". I'm particularly impressed by combusters out there talking like sommeliers. "There are notes of oak and undertones of boysenberry". Combusting always has the same taste to me, namely "burnt ass".

GoldenBud

I'm particularly impressed by combusters out there talking like sommeliers
maybe because they grew it/took a dab of the same pheno. otherwise, they are lying. I think. the combustion burn the terpenes so fast....

GoldenBud,
Reactions: cosimo

Razhumikin

maybe because they grew it/took a dab of the same pheno. otherwise, they are lying. I think. the combustion burn the terpenes so fast....
Not lying, its all about what you are used to. I used to smoke 3-5 spliffs per day, every day, for about 10 years. I could always taste the weed in my spliffs, despite being combusted and burnt with tobacco, because i was used to the tastes of the combustion and the tobacco and could sense what was different about each strain from spliff to spliff. Now that Ive fucked-combustion exclusively for almost 2 years, I wouldnt be able to tell any weed apart in a joint, let alone a spliff. Even the smell of weed burning, which I used to love, now smells horrible to me. I believe sense is largely relative.

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
I've been growing for years and i could/can easily determine different strains when i smoke them. I know we are on FC here but i'd be lying if i said all joints tasted the same... Not even close. I usually grow three of four strains and just one hit on a joint used to be enough to know what was in it...
It's all about habit i guess but i really don't agree that "all weed tastes the same when combusting"...
In the ears of a combuster this will sound like BS and actually i have to agree. :rockon:
I mean: i've smoked wicked joints, full of flavour and different tastes... Always hated cigarettes and i'm 100% sure the flavour of a good joint was not my illusion...
Ok, vaping opens a different, more elaborate, terp experience for sure! But that doesn't mean all joints taste like shit ime (and believe me, i had a lot of experience unfortunately... ;) )... No reason for elitist behaviour imo...
My two cents here...

GoldenBud

Not lying, its all about what you are used to. I used to smoke 3-5 spliffs per day, every day, for about 10 years. I could always taste the weed in my spliffs, despite being combusted and burnt with tobacco, because i was used to the tastes of the combustion and the tobacco and could sense what was different about each strain from spliff to spliff. Now that Ive fucked-combustion exclusively for almost 2 years, I wouldnt be able to tell any weed apart in a joint, let alone a spliff. Even the smell of weed burning, which I used to love, now smells horrible to me. I believe sense is largely relative.
smoker can't tell you if the pheno has diesel+sweetness from almost grapes or just diesel i think... they miss the deep tastes IMHO
they can speak generally, not going into details like people who vaporize

another thing - as i told u about the Lemon Popsicle, i doubt a smoker can taste it. just the lemon he'll taste. not the Popsicle

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
smoker can't tell you if the pheno has diesel+sweetness from almost grapes or just diesel i think... they miss the deep tastes IMHO
they can speak generally, not going into details like people who vaporize

I really don't agree. I remember very good that i first tried vaping years ago. Now, in those days vaping was really uncharted territory around here. (actually still is at this moment).
But i bought the device because i wanted to try and introduce my dad into cannabis for medical reasons. Since he never smoked (and there was nothing around like oils or edibles at that time) i chose for the 'novelty' vaping.
When the device arrived i tried it out with a good friend first. We were both avid weed blowers... So we gave it a go and that vaporizer delivered really harsh vapor (it was really an oldskool design and nowhere near the stuff around nowadays) but it did knock us of off our socks...

Anyhow: we agreed that we preferred a good old joint taste wise and concluded that vaping was not ready for us (or the other way around).

But then something strange happened: we wanted to flush the bad taste away with a good spliff but suddenly we both couldn't enjoy a joint anymore.
We didn't just dislike it but we had to put it down because it actually tasted like sheit all of the sudden. There we were: weed galore but no means to use it since the vaping was harsh and the joints were ass-flavoured suddenly...
I'll never forget because it took more then a week before i started to enjoy my joints again. The first days i literally had to force myself to keep going (lol) when i smoked one! (like "Come on boy, i kow you can!!" or "Just one more shit-hit and you'll like it again")...
In retrospect: that was the ideal moment to quit combusting but hey: i was young and stupid and that early vaporizer had a horrible taste so i just discarded it and kept combusting (since the market clearly wasn't ready for my liking)...

So yeah: vaping tastes better (for sure nowadays) and more pure. But it also ruins the joys one could get when combusting before tasting the first vapor cloud! But that doesn't mean there was no enjoyment in my joint days for sure! :lol:

Top Bottom