Yocan Evolve Plus XL

biohacker

@AJS that looked like a great hit! For that convenience of medication, i'll take the super poor taste. Unless there is a better pen out there? Weird how some video reviews i've seen say that the taste is awesome? Guess it's greatly dependent on temp aka how long that button is pressed down for? Or how much concentrate is loaded?

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
@AJS that looked like a great hit! For that convenience of medication, i'll take the super poor taste. Unless there is a better pen out there? Weird how some video reviews i've seen say that the taste is awesome? Guess it's greatly dependent on temp aka how long that button is pressed down for? Or how much concentrate is loaded?
Yeah man, keep in mind I had 1 dab that is over a year old that I put in there. Also I could've gotten it much too hot, idk how to use these things lol. I pulsed it like I would the Milaana, but maybe I held it too long one of my pulses.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Received a XL today.... it looks nice but the bowl is huge!

How much do you load and where do you place your wax (on the center or all around)?

It's charging now but I'm afraid it will kill my small concentrates stash.... but I expect to press some buds very soon.

biohacker

How much do you load and where do you place your wax (on the center or all around)?

Just got mine too! Also charging.... it's pink lol I think you put your concentrate right in around the coils. I've got a bunch of shatter to test with!

No owner's manual? lol

EDIT:

So I figured it out pretty quickly from review vids.... all I can say is that i'm more medicated than in a very long time! WOW!

The airflow adjustment is awesome! Taste sucks! Effects awesome! What an amazingly convenient portable tool to get medicated fast!

More to come!

Last edited:

biohacker

@PPN Any luck with getting something to load in the Evolve? I fully tested mine all day yesterday (about 1/2g of shatter over 2 days), cleaned it up, and put it away, as it's not something that is for me in the end.

Disclaimer: This is the first, and only concentrate pen style vape i've ever used.

Overall, honestly even though it's not for me - it's quite impressive, especially at its price point. Perhaps i'd rant and rave about other pens too, but since the XL is my only experience, this is all I have to go on.

The packaging is class, although I didn't even have a quick start guide with mine, I did a quick search on google/youtube and figured out the easy 5 presses sequence to turn on, although 9/10 I found it finicky and couldn't get a hit off my first pull and had to keep tapping trying to figure it out.

The unit itself is so tiny! LOVE the form factor, and was so excited that it would be my go-to replacement for the grasshopper and mighty and i'd finally have a device with instant heatup, stealth, long battery, and wicked airflow!

At first, it was very novel..... I didn't load enough material, and very quickly started to experience this "electric abv taste" which I absolutely :puke: So then I started loading huge bowls and the flavour improved, but still somewhat harsh.

You can get some massive rips, which put a smile on your face. But I can't stand the flavours i've been experiencing, and noticed a lot of wasting of material.

By the end of testing, my lungs are destroyed....i'm not a concentrate purist..... I don't like them straight up, but prefer rather mixed with flower at vape temps. I think these coil type pens essentially combust your concentrate, or come pretty damn close to it, and I can almost taste like a burning combustion flavour at times.

I'm not sure how other pens like the dr dabber aurora or puffco+ source orb 4 etc all stack up, but i'm very curious and interested if there is an experience that can be delivered that will cross off all my negatives on this one.

Someone mentioned recreational vs medicinal with this one...and I think that's accurate. If your recreational only, and don't care about flavour and only getting all fucked up, you will like this pen! Innit right @WakeAndVape !?

Thanks to yocan and Anna for the opportunity.....looking forward to trying some coil less in the future to see if that makes a big difference in taste.

EDIT: Neglected to comment on how hot this thing can get with repetitive hits. A normal decent pace is okay, but any prolonged button taps or back to back hits can get this thing so fucking hot I couldn't even put my finger on the button. However, extreme case, and was testing to see how hard I could push it. But something to keep in mind anyway.

Last edited:

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
@biohacker it is a coil thing.

all vaporizers with coils for wax inherit that same taste..some at a higher degree than others, but it is ALWAYS present.

with the XL plus...it is a little more pronounced, because of the number of coils.

pulsing helps to keep the heat down...but also limited button presses.

if you want a option that doesn't taste like coil...go to the Devine Tribe thread.

but you can also pack smaller amounts and clean it once or twice a day...depending on how heavy you use it.

you can also just throw your wax in the chambers center...it will do the rest.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
lock in your resistance .
My resistance varies?
My new XL is very CHEAP and COOL.
Sorry I don't have any resistance!
DjRgbMu.jpg

PPN

Volute of Vapor
@PPN Any luck with getting something to load in the Evolve?
Sacrified my last dabs for testing in the XL... and was not happy at all to waste them!

First loading was a pain since I had to put a rice grain sized dab on each coil...
Second, the hits were awful evn with a short time press (3-4s), harsh and bad in taste.
And finally I was thinking it would be better if you sature the coil using a large load (i.e 1/2 gr.) but since the holes on the bottom of the ceramic base and since it's mentionned to be carefully to don't load too much to avoid leaking on the battery I don't think it can do that....

One of the worst vape pen I experienced, this quad coil design is useless in my humble opinion ( I tested a few since the DrDabber, Bolt, Kiss cart, Linx, V-One, Dabstorm, Dabstorm 2.0, Vista,original EO W9 cart, Hercule, Evolve, Evolve Plus, Cerum and others I don't remenber!)

I liked a lot both the Evolve and Evolve Plus, was mitiged about the Pandon and Evolve D but this one is definitly the worst, 2 hits and dabs was done and I was coughing like hell for a while without tasted my meds!

Sorry Yocan but that's definitly not for me.

biohacker

Sorry but that XL is too big for me. Looks like a woman's play toy.

Is that why my girl was getting funny looks when she was wearing it around her neck with the lanyard? :brow:

First loading was a pain since I had to put a rice grain sized dab on each coil...
Second, the hits were awful evn with a short time press (3-4s), harsh and bad in taste.
And finally I was thinking it would be better if you sature the coil using a large load (i.e 1/2 gr.) but since the holes on the bottom of the ceramic base and since it's mentionned to be carefully to don't load too much to avoid leaking on the battery I don't think it can do that....

You don't HAVE to put a rice grain sized dab on each coil... you can just plop the 4 in 1 rice grains on top of one, or just down in there, and it will melt down just fine.

3-4s can be too much! Try 1-2s, and it sounds like the XL may not be for you since your material is so limited. I'm guessing there wasn't enough in the oven which is why you experienced similar to myself when I didn't use enough with the taste and coughing. When I loaded it up and pressed 1-2s with FULLY OPEN airflow regulator, and the hits were massive, smooth, and even tasty! BUT, you need to use A LOT. Never had an issue with leaking, and I tried using .5g at once!

My EVOLE XL = ROSIN + EJUICE no nic + KIEF = MAX CIVILIZATION = MAX FLIGHT

GOLDILOCKS = SIZE MATTER'S (this thing as power and the size seem's OK?)

This thing is affordable!

It's definitely affordable, and not for everyone, just like many other vapes and devices. Nice to hear you appreciate it @ataxian!

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Is that why my girl was getting funny looks when she was wearing it around her neck with the lanyard? :brow:

You don't HAVE to put a rice grain sized dab on each coil... you can just plop the 4 in 1 rice grains on top of one, or just down in there, and it will melt down just fine.

3-4s can be too much! Try 1-2s, and it sounds like the XL may not be for you since your material is so limited. I'm guessing there wasn't enough in the oven which is why you experienced similar to myself when I didn't use enough with the taste and coughing. When I loaded it up and pressed 1-2s with FULLY OPEN airflow regulator, and the hits were massive, smooth, and even tasty! BUT, you need to use A LOT. Never had an issue with leaking, and I tried using .5g at once!

It's definitely affordable, and not for everyone, just like many other vapes and devices. Nice to hear you appreciate it @ataxian!
@biohacker you know I love ROSIN (LIFE).

This device is cheap and I like the way the product taste in it!
Not for everyone, however it does meet my needs.
This really famous guy from up in the great white north @lazylathe had me switch from SHATTER to ROSIN!

lazylathe

Almost there...
@biohacker you know I love ROSIN (LIFE).

This device is cheap and I like the way the product taste in it!
Not for everyone, however it does meet my needs.
This really famous guy from up in the great white north @lazylathe had me switch from SHATTER to ROSIN!

Only exception is, this guy will never use a pen with coils again!
Rosin=Civilized to the MAX!
Oil pens=disgusting mess for me...

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Damn this thing rips. If just a huge ripping pen is what you crave the XL seems to deliver in spades.

Love the onboard separated silicone storage. This is also the only pen i have with an adjustable air path. Very cool feature.
I like this because it's simple and flavor-ful!

It sit's on my night-stand and medicates as needed!
I want a PINK one so bad!

I'll get a pack of coil's for the XL!
The larger COIL compared to the smaller unit con-tribes to the FLAVOR enhancement!

biohacker

I want a PINK one so bad!

What colour did they send you? They sent me pink! Pink is a girl's colour! I can't be seen out in public with a little pink dildo in my hand :rofl:

I thought I wouldn't use it again, but I threw it on the charger last night because I have to be out and about today and I have nothing for portability but the Yocan so another day of testing with an oven full of budder!

Keeping the carb regulator fully open, and pulsing the button for very short duration hits!

biohacker,
Reactions: ataxian

biohacker

Just crushed .25g of hard shatter in it.... tolerable flavour, awesome clouds, awesome airflow, instant heat up, just can't let it get to bare bones dry. I'm starting to like this thing a lot!

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
What colour did they send you? They sent me pink! Pink is a girl's colour! :rofl:
PINK has no gender?
Marketing created the Blue for boy's and Pink for Girl's.

In the 70's in protest we had PINK SURFBOARD'S riding TALL WAVES.

REAL MEN don't care what other's think?
Really I'm a HYPOCRITE like everyone else!

I got a STAINLESS STEEL one?

I like PINK more!
@biohacker I love you like a brother so don't get me wrong?

REAL MEN WEAR PINK!

Last edited by a moderator:

biohacker

:lol:@ataxian ! You make some very good points!!

More importantly i'm really starting to LOVE this vape! Used it all day and it was AWESOME! Guess it just took some learning curve (short), but this is awesome for portability!

Just a couple of things.... for feedback to Yocan...

that led light is very difficult to see behind that button... would be nice for a separate led, and something that lets me know that it's locked or not.

A lid for the spare atty would be great to load a 2nd for on the go, but i'll probably just use some foil.

So stoked with this little thing, I may have to buy their non-XL version just to check out!

The larger COIL compared to the smaller unit con-tribes to the FLAVOR enhancement!

Awesome! I did notice some waste on the sides and lid but that's because i'm over filling!

Top Bottom