• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

XMAX Starry 4, Portable Vaporizer

DrewTheWriter

From the Tools420 review comparing the Starry 4 to the V3 pro:
"Since the Starry uses a conduction-based heating system though, its vapor won’t have any sort of terpene flavors"
1000% false. He must not realize he can start at a lower temp.

What if the magnets are so strong they're stronger than the glue holding them on the device? One guy's Roffu came apart that way...
Lemme reword that one better :lol:

DrewTheWriter

Hopefully they used proper magnets.

The Fog Pro is/was a lovely vape. I find it visually attractive. It has a huge bowl. It sits nicely in the hand, and has a fairly solid feel, but all that is ruined by magnets so weak, it requires using a finger or rubber band to keep the top on. The second fail is having to use a whip adapter to hook the unit to a bong. If the device had a proper WPA, it would make it much more useful.

For any vape designers who might be listening, here is my suggestion. Use the strongest magnets available. There is nothing worse than a vape that keeps coming apart during normal use.

Robert-in-YEG
https://vimeo.com/826349228?share=copy

magnet video, it's very strong

XMAXVAPORIZER

Manufacturer
Thank you for the reply back! Didn't know about the "Resin Cup". Now I'll have to look for some quality hash to throw in it and give it a whirl. Looking forward to trying the actual Dosing Capsules now too! Totally familiar with the EU hash vs. domestic US produced hash. Always a fan of quality regardless of origin. Here is what we have seen in regard to the WPA:
The whip option is still available for the Starry 4 in a WPA or Bubbler but I think the above looks like a much better solution.
Yes, traditionnal hasch could be good quality when you can found some unadultered refined product...Most Afghani, Pakistani or Lebanese hasch you can buy in the street are fakes (adultered moroccan hasch probably). Although, with some friends we got lucky to access very high quality Moroccan hasch, it was hard at F** when cold and sticky like hell when slightly warm, a pia to grind (I ended using a razor blade) but just a little thrown in a cigarette and all the street was smelling hasch! Sorry but I wasn't in the vapor game at this time... would love to test this hasch in the Starry 4! I have a small amount of water extracted hasch which is pretty similar to the Moroccan though...

Are there any plans for a Xmax v4 pro model? If so, how long would we still have to wait for it before it comes out?
To be honnest there is, actually, no plan for V4Pro, we are collecting V3Pro feedbacks and improvements suggestions though...Don't expect it before 2024.
Thank you for sharing, yes magnets are strong, stronger than the V3Pro magnets I believe.

LeftBased

I purchased a starry 4, I need to spend time with it more, so far I can say it's an interesting conduction vape, compared to the pax mini, I like the adjustable airflow, I am still getting a feel for it and dialing in for the sweet spot, so far I can say it does do well even though I didn't do a tight firm pack, could be the radiant heat from the ceramic bowl. I am still evaluating it, I did an experiment and used 0.1g with a light tamp and it did work surprisingly, if I were to do same with the pax results would be worse.

I did take apart mouthpiece to give it a nice clean with some ISO, I do notice that some herb sticks to the filter on mouthpiece but it's because I have a semi fine grind, however a quick brush gets the abv off.

So far seems promising I did use the lower temps as an experiment, I feel like it's DTL (direct to lung) with lower temps, and higher temps deliver more vapor so MTL, the adjustable airflow effects radiant temps, and resistance of the zirconia mouthpiece, closed airflow is best for getting vapor to flow from cold start. then overtime opening up the airflow by 25% as your bowl is heated. Finding that balance for now playing with temps, low temps did have an effect vapor clouds were stealthy, there was flavor available surprisingly for a conduction.

I did temp step up to 365f, typically I would go higher but I ended up finishing a full default timed session and the abv came out medium brownish toasted abv. I could have turned up higher and go darker, I did not use the herbal chamber that they include to keep oven clean.

I was gonna pack more, however that 0.1g smacked hard as with any conduction, except the starry 4 is truly magical, vapor didn't taste bad despite being conduction based, compared to pax mini, the pax mini temp steps but requires firm n tight pack, the starry seemed to be okay with a semi fluffy / light tamp pack. To be fair my current botanicals are between medium and fine grind, heard a coarse / medium grind does better.

Fine grind is good when you wanna pack a lot. I don't need to pack a lot and I am amazed I can microdose a session in the giant starry 4 bowl.

Didn't suspect it would do a good job because of the light and small pack.

This isn't a bad vape, I need more time to experiment at higher temps, there is a few minor cons but that will be discussed later, things might change, because its much too early.

The included battery that my starry 4 has is an eve 26v 2550mah 18650. I do own some molicels that I want to use later.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I purchased a starry 4, I need to spend time with it more, so far I can say it's an interesting conduction vape, compared to the pax mini, I like the adjustable airflow, I am still getting a feel for it and dialing in for the sweet spot, so far I can say it does do well even though I didn't do a tight firm pack, could be the radiant heat from the ceramic bowl. I am still evaluating it, I did an experiment and used 0.1g with a light tamp and it did work surprisingly, if I were to do same with the pax results would be worse.

I did take apart mouthpiece to give it a nice clean with some ISO, I do notice that some herb sticks to the filter on mouthpiece but it's because I have a semi fine grind, however a quick brush gets the abv off.

So far seems promising I did use the lower temps as an experiment, I feel like it's DTL (direct to lung) with lower temps, and higher temps deliver more vapor so MTL, the adjustable airflow effects radiant temps, and resistance of the zirconia mouthpiece, closed airflow is best for getting vapor to flow from cold start. then overtime opening up the airflow by 25% as your bowl is heated. Finding that balance for now playing with temps, low temps did have an effect vapor clouds were stealthy, there was flavor available surprisingly for a conduction.

I did temp step up to 365f, typically I would go higher but I ended up finishing a full default timed session and the abv came out medium brownish toasted abv. I could have turned up higher and go darker, I did not use the herbal chamber that they include to keep oven clean.

I was gonna pack more, however that 0.1g smacked hard as with any conduction, except the starry 4 is truly magical, vapor didn't taste bad despite being conduction based, compared to pax mini, the pax mini temp steps but requires firm n tight pack, the starry seemed to be okay with a semi fluffy / light tamp pack. To be fair my current botanicals are between medium and fine grind, heard a coarse / medium grind does better.

Fine grind is good when you wanna pack a lot. I don't need to pack a lot and I am amazed I can microdose a session in the giant starry 4 bowl.

This isn't a bad vape, I need more time to experiment at higher temps, there is a few minor cons but that will be discussed later, things might change, because its much too early.

The included battery that my starry 4 has is an eve 26v 2550mah 18650. I do own some molicels that I want to use later.

Nice review, thanks for taking your time to share!

Got my shipping notification, might have it in two days… I will compare it to my IQ2 and Mighty, my top two conduction devices. I figured for the price, it was worth trying, I have a few XMax devices, they seem to be stepping up the quality, I’m curious to see how they do on temperature control accuracy with this one, as the Roffu is way off on that convection device.

LeftBased

Nice review, thanks for taking your time to share!

Got my shipping notification, might have it in two days… I will compare it to my IQ2 and Mighty, my top two conduction devices. I figured for the price, it was worth trying, I have a few XMax devices, they seem to be stepping up the quality, I’m curious to see how they do on temperature control accuracy with this one, as the Roffu is way off on that convection device.
I feel that the starry 4 is tuned not as tuned so aggressive as the roffu. Which is a nice thing, I do notice it takes 22 seconds (roughly) to hit 375f with the starry from fully charged battery.

Here is my abv after a 375f session in the starry 4 --
b5bcym.jpg

I'd say flavor wise starry 4 wins over the pax mini. Also a gentle tamp in bowl, I used the zirconia mouthpiece to do a very gentle tamp to make herb uniform with the oval bowl. Again I am still experimenting with the temperatures to find a sweet spot. So far 375f in starry 4 is smooth towards end it does get warm on the outer shell not as hot as a pax mini but enough that I started to have sweaty hands but not discomfort like the pax mini. I'd say even though you do one session it does get warm but not like the pax mini, however this bowl was ran strictly at 375f, the zirconia mouthpiece does retain heat for awhile but cools down, so far I am enjoying the strength of this vape, easy to load, easy to clean, except the mouthpiece filter does get resinous and you either gotta soak in ISO and or brush it out. However it's simple to manage. Again this herb I used was slightly fine grinded by doing the grinder upside down / sideways for a finer grind. Specifically was using it in the pax mini, but started to use it in the starry 4.

So far starry 4 likes gentle tamps, the extraction was better than my pax mini. Not to say the pax mini doesn't provide cool vapor at its auto variable temp stepping, however the shell of pax mini gets uncomfortable hot like you need a sleeve, I would say the roffu without sleeve matches the pax mini level of warmth. I have a sleeve on my roffu.

However I have to try higher temps like 390-400-410-425f. But at 375f I am happy with extraction and flavor strangely. It's not bad. I do feel properly medicated from this device id say it feels like it hits harder than my pax mini and I haven't even temp stepped higher than 375f yet in the starry 4.

For the price of the device it throws punchs to the pax series vapes, temp control, airflow control, swappable 18650, even a dosing capsule (they recommend to fill it half ways), a large bowl that can compete with the pax vapes. Affordable entry cost to dry herb vaping.

I am surprised at this "budget" device can do this really should have mainstream brands innovating to improve vapor quality, isolated airpaths, etc.

Xmax / topgreen really did good with the starry 4, I never had the starry 3, but I am enjoying the starry 4, also forgot to mention I left the airway about 25% open or so, when doing this bowl at 375f.

Sipping with the airflow control closed does make the vapor feel more warmer almost ticklish however could be just the terpenes or cannabinoids. It's still smooth, pax mini vapor feels so light yet throws large clouds. The starry 4 can produce clouds but you will feel them slightly not as heavy but you get a mouth feel if that makes sense?

It's not uncomfortable however newbies might end up inhaling longer than they should and end up coughing a little bit, I've done that before with the fury 2 when I first got it and had it set to like 365f back in the day, thought I wasn't getting a large dose of vapor, so I have to be mindful and just sip, I do feel like stronger pulls will end up cooling down chamber / radiant heat. You learn after trial and error with a pax. Starry 4 is decent you could essentially raise temps higher and just go nuts with faster pulls or open airflow to find balance.

I am just using it as a sipper and it doesn't disappoint extracted under 4 minutes.

Last edited:

LeftBased

Did something new today, I temp stepped with the starry 4, I had airflow control closed.

I started session low at 338f, tasted really good took about 3 six second puffs and moved temp up to 365f did 3 six second puffs, moved up to 390f and did 7 six second puffs and no more vapor was being produced.

Abv looked well toasted (not black) but dark brown. Seems like 0.1g gives 12 to 13 puffs at six seconds a puff each for me, again everyone's draw speed is different I did my best to sip as I learned from using the pax mini.

Next time I might try doing 4 six second puffs on each step, the final temp ended up with extra puffs till no vapor was being produced anymore.

Temp stepping isn't bad, I think finding a low end temp than switching to a mid temp than a high temp does work out nicely. As for battery life with temp stepping I don't know. I figure switching temps will consume some battery to heat chamber. But temp stepping is worth it.

It's crazy to say but temp stepping with starry is worth it, only thing I noticed low temps like 338f do produce a vapor that goes direct to lungs when you exhale it isn't exactly visible.

I could taste the terps. Anyways it's not a bad device, I need to experiment with temps to find a nice little temp step routine.

Went with a three way temp step due to packing less, I figure if I packed more I can get away with a 4 way temp step. Anyways it's not bad I am surprised strange enough device isn't as warm as it was before but to be fair I had to turn off device since my herb was done cooking so that helped. temp stepping might preserve battery if you get a flow for it. Since it's some session time shaved off.

RustyOldNail

Last edited:

XMAXVAPORIZER

Manufacturer

Hi thank you for all the posts you did and for sharing your Starry 4 experience. I'm glad you noticed how much the taste was improved, I really suggest you to use the dosing caps in order to keep that fresh taste for long. As well since you said to like to microdose it's worth it to use the dosing caps. Thank you for the kinds words!
I do that with most of my devices. On the much more expensive IQ2, it can be set to do that automatically, which is a nice feature.
Thanks to the “great”…. Not…. USPS, I didn’t receive mine today as promised, so hopefully Monday.
Automatic Temp stepping...? That's something i have to transmit to the team, thank you for the suggestion!

XMAXVAPORIZER

Manufacturer
I see in the manual they say to only fill the cap to half. To prevent clogging of the air holes or maybe allow movement of the herb by the air flow?
It's for both reasons, if no herbs can touches the top lid, clogging will not happen too fast and to get enough room for vapor to expand, as well this is allow the air movements to happen without resistance. Although you are free to load them like you want, I load mines at 2/3 usually with well packed fine/medium ground flowers.

XMAXVAPORIZER

Manufacturer
GIVEAWAY! Share Your Voice&Win Big! XMAX STARRY 4 Survey.

To know how to enter, please, clic on the link below:

Only 3 days before the Giveaway is over, don't miss it! Good luck!

Last edited:
XMAXVAPORIZER,
Reactions: LesPlenty

RustyOldNail

I see in the manual they say to only fill the cap to half. To prevent clogging of the air holes or maybe allow movement of the herb by the air flow?

In the PDF manual, section #2: Load:
“Do not over load the CUP CHAMBER. It is recommended to fill half of the CUPS capacity.”

I believe they mean the OVENS CUP… the BOWL, not the POD/CAPSULE! Like all my other conduction vapes that use pods/capsules, I’ll be FILLING them completely.

hinglemccringleberry

How full is the capsule when filling it with 0.1 of ground herb and tamping? Is it less than half full, or more?

Wish they'd come out with a capsule with smaller interior dimensions, for those who don't want to consume a 5th of a gram in one session...

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

How full is the capsule when filling it with 0.1 of ground herb and tamping? Is it less than half full, or more?

Wish they'd come out with a capsule with smaller interior dimensions, for those who don't want to consume a 5th of a gram in one session...

Using a level 1/8 tsp which is about .1, tamped down, the capsule/pod is about 1/2 full.

WARNING: CLEAN these capsules/pods before using!!!
After a 99% ISO soak, and then rinse and dry, using QTip for final dry, there is a lot of GREY on QTip. I assume it’s stainless steel DUST as it’s worse near where the holes are drilled.

LeftBased

I cleaned the pod capsule system there was some metal dust on the iso wipe, after scrubbing with q tip, didn't get any more metal dust, loaded a 0.15g into the capsule and did a temp step 360 ~ 370 ~ 383f and surprisingly was tasty, and felt like I got a very efficient extract, I did notice after removing the pod capsule, there was some abv resin sticking to the sides, cleaned with iso and a q tip.

The cu filter had very faint resin but no Scooby snacks. Anyways the toker poker that's included is perfect for scraping off the resin inside the filter.

And of course for popping off screen in the chamber, so you can brush off any flower residue dust. Placed screen back in, anyways.

The dosage capsule works great, however out of box needs to be cleaned when brand new due to metal dust appearing up.

The good news the pod when taken out after a session cools down much faster than a fury edge capsule.

I was suspecting a lil finger burn checking if the pod cooled down or not and it wasn't uncomfortable at all slightly warm but easy to dump abv.

In all honesty I think the abv might have been more warmer than the dosage capsule.

I didn't time a cool down for dose capsule I figure 2 to 4 minutes went by. Lost track of the exact time.

I think a starry 4 dosage capsule kit would be nice for loading up flower either microdose or pack it if you have a higher tolerance of course I'd recommend an iso bath for the dosage capsules before using.

They really do keep the unit clean and are easy to vape with doesn't seem to effect airflow for me, I think I'll be using the capsules more often because of how convenient it is.

Even without capsule I enjoy the vape, it does over time effect the cu with Scooby snacks and resin, however with any vape resin builds up in mouthpiece and airpath in some vapes.

The cu filter is the one that gets packed up with some grit if you aren't using the dosage capsule but that happens over time, I am talking like 5 to 10 sessions. Depending on botanicals humidity and quality and other factors. Your temps as well. I notice higher temps sort of melt that resin in the cu to give an extra boost to effects.

For me when I was using the unit without dosage pods, I knew my cu filter was getting Scooby snacks, because the mouthpiece still got airflow but you could sort of feel a different with each session without cleaning cu filter.

I would just brush off any stuck cannabis off the cu filter. I do like the dosage pod/capsules.

I did get a very efficient toast. It's hard to even dislike the vape. Despite some minor cons, one is the power button during mid session I tried to turn the unit off hitting power button three times and sometimes it would register and shut off and other times it wouldn't, that seems to be the only issue I get sometimes.

Sometimes trying to turn on or off the unit doesn't always register the three click presses.

Last edited:

XMAXVAPORIZER

Manufacturer
In the PDF manual, section #2: Load:
“Do not over load the CUP CHAMBER. It is recommended to fill half of the CUPS capacity.”

I believe they mean the OVENS CUP… the BOWL, not the POD/CAPSULE! Like all my other conduction vapes that use pods/capsules, I’ll be FILLING them completely.
I need to ask... I supposed it means not over load the chamber with direct load and the capsule ... but I may be wrong, stay tuned!

My reply would be exactly the same than the one @RustyOldNail provided to you, 0.1gr vape perfectly in a dosing caps, it's an half dosing caps of well packed flowers. The great new is the Starry 4 seems to work very well with loose loads too, this claim is based on a fews feedbacks I collected here or in Reddit, I have still to perform similar tests myself:brow:

The issue with a capsule with smaller inner dimensions would be a thicker wall, this is means more mass to heat-up and this is means more heat-up time and probably a poor vaping experience in term of taste... That's my 2 cents!
I cleaned the pod capsule system there was some metal dust on the iso wipe, after scrubbing with q tip, didn't get any more metal dust, loaded a 0.15g into the capsule and did a temp step 360 ~ 370 ~ 383f and surprisingly was tasty, and felt like I got a very efficient extract, I did notice after removing the pod capsule, there was some abv resin sticking to the sides, cleaned with iso and a q tip. The cu filter had very faint resin but no Scooby snacks. Anyways the toker poker that's included is perfect for scraping off the resin inside the filter.
Hmm, it's good to know, I'll transmit the info about that metal dust into the caps, it's always a good thing to clean the caps and the vaporizer before first use but we will clean the caps better before packaging, thank youy for the feedback.
In another hand it's good to know you got a pleasant experience using this dosing caps, I really think it's one of the severals new features I enjoy the best out of the Starry 4, I can't wait for the Dosing Caps x5 pack's release (and Ceramic Water Adapter!)!

RustyOldNail

I can't wait for the Dosing Caps x5 pack's release

You can get them at the link below, my pre-order kit, included this:

Petetbay

You can get them at the link below, my pre-order kit, included this:

Really cheap for caps, they say they only fit the Starry 4, hopefully someone will confirm that they don’t work in the Starry 3.0, otherwise looks like I will need to pickup a 4.0, if I want these caps which I do.

edit: I’m less and less a cap guy lately, because I have problems with the fingers, but I like using them with hash because it’s cleaner, and these look to do me just fine now that they appear to work in the 3.0. With herb I wouldn’t bother with the caps.

Last edited:

warren0728

Really cheap for caps, they say they only fit the Starry 4, hopefully someone will confirm that they don’t work in the Starry 3.0, otherwise looks like I will need to pickup a 4.0, if I want these caps which I do.
i just dropped one in my starry v3 and it did fit and the mouthpiece attached just fine

honestly i'm not crazy about the dosing caps in the v4 ... kind of fiddley to fill and for me the hits just aren't as good as without ... i haven't done much testing ... maybe they will grow on me

RustyOldNail

From the 420EDU site:

“Avoid using IA/CS on the silicone housing (4th piece down on right) magnets (on underside of side shown in photo): This piece may not come out of the Mouthpiece Top initially, it is not in contact with the vapor path, so you don't need to remove it. It may come out in time with use and heat cycles of expansion and contraction, so here it is in case yours comes out like ours did.”

I briefly tried getting the silicone out, but didn’t want to force it, anyone get theirs out? Seems like something I’d like access to for cleaning eventually!

LINK TO THIS INFO:

DrewTheWriter

i just dropped one in my starry v3 and it did fit and the mouthpiece attached just fine

honestly i'm not crazy about the dosing caps in the v4 ... kind of fiddley to fill and for me the hits just aren't as good as without ... i haven't done much testing ... maybe they will grow on me
I actually found it easier to just smoosh whole flowers into them, I do agree they're a bit fiddly.

RustyOldNail

I put about 6 pods and 3 chamber load’s through the new device, after a good cleaning. In between loads I’d use a damp QTip to get off the tiny bit of resin oil that collects on the surface of the ceramic cooling insert. For a real clean, It’s easy enough to pull it out with your fingernail from the soft silicone that holds it in the mouthpiece.

NOTE: After removing the ceramic filter, I was SHOCKED at the about of reclaim resin oil that was inside the silicone path to swivel mouthpiece. You can get to both sides with an ISO soaked QTip, by removing the swivel MP. That’s a lot of cleaning for so few bowls.

While I soaked the actual removable ceramic filter in 190% ethanol, used a toothbrush to scrub, then hot water flushed, I couldn’t even fit a thin pipe cleaner into it, especially the micro holes on both ends. This piece would best be cleaned in my ultrasonic cleaner now and then. It dried pretty quickly.

I believe this fast buildup of oils are mostly due to the limitations of the nice and small device size. Comparing it my HUGE sized Mighty, the cooling unit alone is almost as big as the Starry-4, all the channels in the Mighty are huge by comparison, which means some extra cooling, but more time between having to clean it before a reduction in draw and some nasty flavors. The design of the IQ2 handles this the best for a similar sized tiny device, but is much more expensive, and it still needs a fair amount of attention to cleaning.

Overall, considering it’s under $100 price point, it seems well constructed, and gets hot enough to get dark roasts if you like. I’ve got more experimenting to do with some various strains, but so far for flavor at the low temps I’d place it 3rd of my conduction portable devices behind the IQ2, then Mighty. If I really want a flavorful session, I’d choose one of my convection vapes.

But it does heat up quickly, and is nice and small, fits the hand nicely with the AIRFLOW control right by your thumb. The IQ2 has a bottom airflow dial, and no AF control on the Mighty, so I’m finding I like it open, more vapor and flavor, so that’s a big plus on a tiny device!

Bottom line, it’s gets the job done, just be prepared to clean it a more often….

Top Bottom