X-Max Ace Vaporizer by TopGreen

LesPlenty

Company Rep
As soon as my replacement mouthpiece shows up (I better chase it again) I will put up some pics and a review. The unit I have performs pretty well even if it does not seal properly.

LesPlenty,

tokenknifeguy

Could someone with battery knowledge and experience please tell me if any other 18650 batteries are acceptable? I'm highly considering buying this and have some 18650s around the house that I purchased for my old Arizer Air, but they are 3600mAh and not 2400. (The Air was designed for 2400, but was fine to use with 3600.)
Really the important thing isn't how much capacity the battery has, 3600 mAh, or 2400, but how much amps the device needs from the battery. The best way to figure this out is to know how much watts is needed to vape a bowl, and then do the math from there. I'm not sure the specs on the xMax, but when in doubt go with the higher rated amp battery. If you go with a 25a-30a battery, you should be good to go. I doubt the xMax will require that much but it is better to have a battery that can put out those amps if needed than get a 10amp(example here) battery and need the 20 amps. The latter is where you run into problems.

Also get a reputable 18650 battery producer. The resellers of the major brands will usually inflate the numbers. So go with Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Molicel or Sony (Murata), but with a 25-30 amp rating, unless someone else can chime in something more specific for the xmax.

tokenknifeguy,

hans solo

Left coast Canada
As soon as my replacement mouthpiece shows up (I better chase it again) I will put up some pics and a review. The unit I have performs pretty well even if it does not seal properly.
I stopped using the ACE I won because the mouthpiece seems to not seal correctly. I have been thinking of swapping out the extra replacement silicone bock that came with the unit but I assume that will not fix the issue.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I stopped using the ACE I won because the mouthpiece seems to not seal correctly. I have been thinking of swapping out the extra replacement silicone bock that came with the unit but I assume that will not fix the issue.
I'm sorry the Ace batch winners won got some issues, I checked with my units if the seal was better using a last batch top lid on a old unit... it brings a better seal but not 100% airtight although I think some leaks may comes from somewhere else on that old batch or maybe it's cause the modified the top lid receptacl... I'll ask to the team if you can get a replacement unit, I can't promise you anything... it looks like the team is very busy to work on new projects, I hope they will improve the Ace also!

jardri

Vapor Dreams
I'm sorry the Ace batch winners won got some issues, I checked with my units if the seal was better using a last batch top lid on a old unit... it brings a better seal but not 100% airtight although I think some leaks may comes from somewhere else on that old batch or maybe it's cause the modified the top lid receptacl... I'll ask to the team if you can get a replacement unit, I can't promise you anything... it looks like the team is very busy to work on new projects, I hope they will improve the Ace also!

That is the only complaint I have about my Ace but it was free so no real complains xD I just use a rubber band appropiately modified and the vapor is very noticeably increased with a minor hassle. Taste airflow and manteinance are good, right now my Ace is helping a friend convert into vaping and it is delivering him all he needs. Kudos for the power of the Ace!!

Last edited:
Hello and Happy Holidays to everyone in the FC community,

I hope everyone is enjoying a "green Christmas" and some much needed time off. :-) This is my first post on the FC and I'd like to give a short history of my experience with vaporizers. I used to love bongs but was lucky enough to try "De Verdamper" while in Amsterdam about two years ago. It's all GOG and full convection which delivers the cleanest and purest hits that I've ever experienced. After that amazing experience, I was convinced that vaporizing is the way to go. I slowly began my search to find something that would replicate De Verdamper. I had a friend who had the Arizer Extreme Q but wasn't that impressed by the clouds and it requires a lot of herb to work well and "elbow packing" didn't really help either. The more research that I did on vaporizers, the more contradictory reports I got on the Arizer Extreme Q and other vaporizers that don't have an 'isolated airpath" and hot air that travels over electronics that can potentially cause it to "bleed" or give off dangerous toxins which defeats the whole purpose of vaping. However, I wasn't ready to really splurge on De Verdampfer or a Volcano, so I decided to go for a portable vape. I read a lot of reviews and again got confused by all the different opinions out there but wasn't ready to spend so much on the Mighty and I read conflicting reviews on the Pax 3 series and don't like fact that the battery can't be replaced, so I decided to go for a more affordable vape, the "XmaxAce" which came out in January 2020. Its price, fully isolated airpath and removable batteries all appealed to me.

To make a long story short, the vapor quality seems okay for its price but I have to constantly stir and mix my herb after 2-3 hits (is there a herb capsule available for the Ace, or has anyone got any suggestions here) and it can't be compared to De Verdamper or other high-end vaporizers but that's a bit besides the question that I want to ask here. Even though it features a fully "isolated airpath", the first thing which worried me was the warning on the outside of the box it came in which states: "this product may contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other harmful reproductive harm." WTH, does that mean it contains aluminum, lead soldering and/or other potentially dangerous materials or is this just a standard disclaimer that other manufacturers use too? My friend's Arizer Extreme Q didn't come with such a stark warning and the airflow is not isolated. This really makes me wonder about the overall safety of vaporizers and if they're emitting some dangerous toxins when the unit heats up and the Ace does get pretty hot which seem to be common in portable vaporizers from what I've read (even about 190 C it's pretty hot). This also causes concern that the unit might explode which is really scary but I only charge it with the usb cable it came with and the computer and a usb 2 port (I've read that using a phone charger or usb 3 port could damage batteries or cause them to explode). The fact that there were no instructions or warnings about the proper way to charge it also is a bit worrying. Apart from the Mighty and Volcano, I can't think of any other other bona fide "medical grade" certified vaporizers but I think De Verdamper and all glass units would be safe. From this point of view, the tiny Vaponic and other units without the electronics such as MFLB, DynaVap and Sticky Brick also seem much safer than small portable units or even their desktop equivalents with lots of electronics and potential to emit toxins at high temperatures.

I don't mean to sound over critical of the Ace but I am concerned about potentially dangerous materials in it and the risk of the battery exploding (these points probably apply to most portable units on the market too). I'm sorry for the length of this post but wanted to cover all important points and would really appreciate any thoughts on the safety of the Ace and possible ways to improve one's vaping experience with it.

fifty_shades_of_green,
Reactions: LesPlenty

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Apart from the Mighty and Volcano, I can't think of any other other bona fide "medical grade" certified vaporizers
Those vapes are full of aluminium, I would trust their medical certification as much as I would trust VW to do their own emissions testing. :2c:

Don't worry about the battery exploding, I ran mine on boost mode (255C) back to back many times when trying rosin in the device. The unit was only able to be held by the fake wood, the metal parts would burn you!

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I want to ask here. Even though it features a fully "isolated airpath", the first thing which worried me was the warning on the outside of the box it came in which states: "this product may contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other harmful reproductive harm." WTH, does that mean
From my understanding that text is required in Cali for every device using silicone cause except it I can't see any other "chemicals" related material since the airpath isn't through the internals and since we use ceramic for the bowl and the mouthpiece.

Although I'll ask for an "Official answer" in order to enlight everybody about that warning text. Thank you @LesPlenty for you support, I believe we are one of the Chinese company which is very concerned by consumers health.

btw I'm using a lot my Ace's like you @LesPlenty , for concentrates, sometime sandwiched in flowers but mainly with hemp fibers. Although I use lower temp, I start at 210°C and step up until 230°C, got crazy smooth thick clouds! Enough to fog a room, will probably try one load at 255°C max boost temp but I need to wait cause a young horse broken one of my ribs (while he was playing, I wasn't carefully enough, that's all!) and I can't permit myself to cough cause it's so painfull!

When you don't want to cough (or cause you are sick) conduction vaporizers provide you smoother hits if you are carefully to don't crank the temp too high and I'm happy to get them in my arsenal (Ace, Aria, Alfa, Starry, Fenix Pro, Fury, V2 Pro,...). And it looks like there is again some love around for conduction heat tek after, for a while, everybody wanted a 100% convection vape... we are seeing some vapes (like the last Firewood or the MiniVap Glass Core) to add some conduction heat again.

Have fun!

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I only ran straight rosin at those high temps, I usually start on 185c and finish on 195 or 200c when using herb, I also find conduction biased vapes a little easier on the throat than convection, much easier to sip and not cough!

LesPlenty,
Reactions: PPN
@LesPlenty: Those vapes are full of aluminum, I would trust their medical certification as much as I would trust VW to do their own emissions testing.

That's a very valid point and I appreciate you mentioning that. I think a lot of us switched to vaporizers for obvious health benefits, so the materials from which they're constructed and whether they have an isolated air path are paramount imho. The idea of really hot air passing over a bunch of electronics just doesn't sound very healthy.

As far as unit heat and battery safety go, I usually vape between 175-215 Celsius and only use flower. Is there any recommended/ultra safe way to recharge the batteries? I only use the usb 2 port on my computer because of the horror stories about exploding batteries that I've read when using phone charges but those were e-cigs and mods afaik.

@PPN: From my understanding that text is required in Cali for every device using silicone cause except it I can't see any other "chemicals" related material since the airpath isn't through the internals and since we use ceramic for the bowl and the mouthpiece.

Thank you for your reply PPN. It'd be great if you could post any further info once you get an "official" reply from the company. I assume silicon is used by other companies too. Does anyone know at what temperature, silicon could emit harmful gases?

It's interesting what you said about conduction being smoother on the throat than convection and causing less coughing. From my experience with the Ace, the amount of vapor that I get after a long sip is very little (usually on the first hit) and often not visible. I usually fill the chamber about half way full (it's pretty big) and don't pack it too tightly. I find that even with relatively low temps of 185-190C, my herb looks roasted and dark brown. If I don't mix my herb after 3 hits, there's almost no flavor and I get quite a bit of draw resistance. Any advice here? :)

@PPN: but I need to wait cause a young horse broken one of my ribs (while he was playing, I wasn't carefully enough, that's all!) and I can't permit myself to cough cause it's so painfull!

Sorry to hear about your mishap with that young horse! They are amazing creatures but can be a bit unpredictable at times. I hope you're feeling better and will be back in the saddle again before too long and can enjoy the max boost. :-)

PPN

Volute of Vapor
@PPN

Own mostly convection devices, do use a Mighty now and then. Thought of trying this at a decent price, but so far unable to find one at any of the most trusted sites I buy from in the USA. Any suggestions?
Here it's available for 119.99$ : https://vapepensales.com/collections/dry-herb-vaporizers/products/xmax-ace-dry-herb-vaporizer
and here at 129.95$: https://www.vaporizerchief.com/x-max-ace-vaporizer/

There is probably others retailers in US... if you prefer a more trusted retailer I believe planetvape.ca get it in stock and Canada isn't far of the USA... although if you are afraid by retailer's warranty you'll be supported by our own warranty too, so no worry.

@fifty_shades_of_green I still not got any official reply about your question, soon... @LesPlenty gave you good advices, it's better to pack it a little although if you don't want to use the full bowl try to make a "bowl reducer" from inert materials only (ceramic, ss mesh, glass/quartz), you'll insert it in the bowl and put your flowers on the top! On mine I re-purposed a zirconia ceramic filter from another vape as a Ace's bowl reducer!

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Has the issue mentioned by a few here about “not sealing” mouthpieces been fixed at the factory level, or if I buy one now, is it the same, original version?
Still on the fence on this one.....

Chingas

Has the issue mentioned by a few here about “not sealing” mouthpieces been fixed at the factory level, or if I buy one now, is it the same, original version?
Still on the fence on this one.....
I'd like to know too. I forgot I had this due to my top not sealing. I hope it's fixed and doubly hope I can still get a replacement so I can really use it. I don't own a true conduction vape so it'd be like a really late Christmas present.

Chingas,
@LesPlenty: Pack more product into the oven and tamp it down tight, makes for great mouth pulls like a joint for me
That's good advice and I'll go it go sometime soon. ;) One issue that I have is that the tiny air holes in the ceramic filter of the mouthpiece tend to get clogged with herb after a few hits and I have to clean them with a tooth pick because of all the resistance. The chamber is pretty large and I don't want to use so much herb to fill it up but maybe packing it down would prevent the ceramic filter from clogging up so easily.

@PPN: if you don't want to use the full bowl try to make a "bowl reducer" from inert materials only

I'll have to look around the house and see if I can find anything that's not painted or dyed. I don't think it would be a very good idea to heat something up with a painted surface and inhale it. :lol: Has anyone tried to use the wax cup as a kind of reducer by turning it upside down? Maybe I'll just try packing some herb into it the right way up and see how that works out--I'm just not sure if it'll get hot enough...

Out of curiosity, how often do you guys do a "deep cleaning" of the Ace? I've taken apart the mouthpiece, ceramic filter and screens and gave everything a good scrub with the isopropyl wipes that came with the Ace but I've run out of them. Unfortunately, 70% iso isn't so easy to get in my area (it's usually 95% or 99%). Is that too strong to use on the ceramic filter or silicone parts? I remember it caused a friend's plastic bong to crack back in the day. :cry: I really don't want to risk damaging my Ace with that industrial strength iso unless PPN or someone else has already tried it. 😆

Ok, I think that covers it for now. Happy New Year everyone and make it a green one. :nod:

fifty_shades_of_green,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I don't want to use so much herb to fill it up but maybe packing it down would prevent the ceramic filter from clogging up so easily.
I pack the pot in tight to just below where the ceramic filter sits to stop the thing blocking.

I really don't want to risk damaging my Ace with that industrial strength iso
When my mouthpiece sarts to make bubbling noises I use 100% iso on all the mouthpiece parts fully submerged in a jar that is then placed in a water filled ultrasonic cleaner, just keep the contact time to under 20 minutes and you will not have a problem.

I still never received my replacement mouthpiece (it was delivered to the wrong address months ago, only missed by a couple 1000klms).
I have also noticed the black ceramic oven coating has all but worn off leaving a stainless steel oven, at least I hope it is S/S,
1609559718775.jpg
Hopefully my pre-production unit(I think it was as it was a prize and never had a serial number.
I probably should stop using it as I am not sure inhaling black ceramic dust is good for you...

That sounds like some heavy duty cleaning and surely gets the job done. :D

@LesPlenty: I have also noticed the black ceramic oven coating has all but worn off leaving a stainless steel oven, at least I hope it is S/S
There are quite a few nicks/chips on the surface. Do you think the iso caused the ceramic oven coating to wear off? I agree that black ceramic dust probably isn't the best thing to be inhaling. Have you experienced this kind of wear and tear on other vapes? This is another reason why glass or pure stainless steel might be be a better option than vapes with ceramic coatings.

It would be great if PPN could give us an update on whether it's truly stainless steel and an official statement from the company about other potentially dangerous materials (apart from silicone) in the Ace.

fifty_shades_of_green,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
My oven rarely gets cleaned with iso qtips, just brushed occasionally with an S&B brush, the quick clean sliding oven is the culprit for the ceramic wearing off....many, many bowls, just too much metal on ceramic contact every time you dump a load IMO.
I am on the fence about just buying another as I am hoping mine was just a pre production problematic example, @PPN is keeping quite. :rofl:

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Have you experienced this kind of wear and tear on other vapes?
I actually have a Nokiva (US$40) also known as a Kandipen Miva (US$199)) with a white ceramic coated oven that still looks like new (it is a few years old and has been ridden hard and put away wet as we say around here, not a problem at all and that copped a lot of qtips in the oven to clean as it is white. :2c:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Sorry, I missed all that discussions... I will ask about the bowl, I can't believe it's only a so thin coating... are you sure it's not build up? Did you used metal brush for cleaning?

All in all I will ask first before to make statements which may be falses. Stay tuned!

Happy new year to everybody!

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Did you used metal brush for cleaning?
Haha, no...as stated, I barely clean the oven, the coating has been worn off by the sliding oven base. The coating is worn off more on the opposite wall to the slide switch (pressure pushes it to that side more).

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hello and Happy Holidays to everyone in the FC community,

I hope everyone is enjoying a "green Christmas" and some much needed time off. :-) This is my first post on the FC and I'd like to give a short history of my experience with vaporizers. I used to love bongs but was lucky enough to try "De Verdamper" while in Amsterdam about two years ago. It's all GOG and full convection which delivers the cleanest and purest hits that I've ever experienced. After that amazing experience, I was convinced that vaporizing is the way to go. I slowly began my search to find something that would replicate De Verdamper. I had a friend who had the Arizer Extreme Q but wasn't that impressed by the clouds and it requires a lot of herb to work well and "elbow packing" didn't really help either. The more research that I did on vaporizers, the more contradictory reports I got on the Arizer Extreme Q and other vaporizers that don't have an 'isolated airpath" and hot air that travels over electronics that can potentially cause it to "bleed" or give off dangerous toxins which defeats the whole purpose of vaping. However, I wasn't ready to really splurge on De Verdampfer or a Volcano, so I decided to go for a portable vape. I read a lot of reviews and again got confused by all the different opinions out there but wasn't ready to spend so much on the Mighty and I read conflicting reviews on the Pax 3 series and don't like fact that the battery can't be replaced, so I decided to go for a more affordable vape, the "XmaxAce" which came out in January 2020. Its price, fully isolated airpath and removable batteries all appealed to me.

To make a long story short, the vapor quality seems okay for its price but I have to constantly stir and mix my herb after 2-3 hits (is there a herb capsule available for the Ace, or has anyone got any suggestions here) and it can't be compared to De Verdamper or other high-end vaporizers but that's a bit besides the question that I want to ask here. Even though it features a fully "isolated airpath", the first thing which worried me was the warning on the outside of the box it came in which states: "this product may contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other harmful reproductive harm." WTH, does that mean it contains aluminum, lead soldering and/or other potentially dangerous materials or is this just a standard disclaimer that other manufacturers use too? My friend's Arizer Extreme Q didn't come with such a stark warning and the airflow is not isolated. This really makes me wonder about the overall safety of vaporizers and if they're emitting some dangerous toxins when the unit heats up and the Ace does get pretty hot which seem to be common in portable vaporizers from what I've read (even about 190 C it's pretty hot). This also causes concern that the unit might explode which is really scary but I only charge it with the usb cable it came with and the computer and a usb 2 port (I've read that using a phone charger or usb 3 port could damage batteries or cause them to explode). The fact that there were no instructions or warnings about the proper way to charge it also is a bit worrying. Apart from the Mighty and Volcano, I can't think of any other other bona fide "medical grade" certified vaporizers but I think De Verdamper and all glass units would be safe. From this point of view, the tiny Vaponic and other units without the electronics such as MFLB, DynaVap and Sticky Brick also seem much safer than small portable units or even their desktop equivalents with lots of electronics and potential to emit toxins at high temperatures.

I don't mean to sound over critical of the Ace but I am concerned about potentially dangerous materials in it and the risk of the battery exploding (these points probably apply to most portable units on the market too). I'm sorry for the length of this post but wanted to cover all important points and would really appreciate any thoughts on the safety of the Ace and possible ways to improve one's vaping experience with it.
Hi @fifty_shades_of_green I got the Official answer to the mentionned warning text:

The California proposition 65 warning. The one that says chemicals known to cause cancer warning. What the chemical is that apparently causes cancer?

Answer: California laws regulate everything sold in this market should have 65 warning in package. Coz of our brand XVAPE is registered in the USA and our branch office located in California too, so we should obey the California laws. Our vaporizers is for the global market including CA,USA. That's why there is a slogan in the Ace manual. It's just a warning slogan required by law. If indeed to say something, then say zinc alloy nickel plating of Ace has very slight harm for health. But if there is no edible action, there is no harm. Here is the link of California Proposition 65 warning, please check:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/general-info/cancer-warning-labels-based-on-californias-proposition-65.html

I hope this reply will satisfy everybody's concerns, your concerns are valids that's why we are taking all health related concerns seriously.

Have a funny happy new year, stay strong, get love, give love and vape on!

ps: Hi, @LesPlenty , from my knowledges about the heating element, it's entirely made of glazed Nano ceramic on a peripheral heater circuit. This is means the only thing, under the ceramic layer is this circuit itself! Although the support team assured me they never seen a such issue (I believe them) but your unit is one of the older released though. We contacted our ceramic supplier to get more infos but it doesn't seems the ceramic bowl to be different than the one for production units. We are awaiting his answer in order to determinate if it might be a recurrent issue or just an isolated incident. I checked on mine, production unit (I gave away my beta recently) and, for now, the ceramic surface seems perfectly smooth. Stay tuned, my friend, I'll try my best to provide you the support you desserve to get!

Last edited:
Top Bottom