Woodworking

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
So my xmas gift I'm receiving this year is a lathe, chisels, and a chuck *yeah were weird and tell/ask about our gifts at my house*. I'm buying a drill press too. I would like to make stems and other accessories purely as hobby. I would like to know from all the other wood workers what are some tools you consider necessary, which makes life way easier but you dont need and anything that you might have gotten that rarely gets used. I would also appreciate any names of people/groups that would be good to watch and learn from.

Thank you any one who offers some info or pointing in right direction

brainiac

log wrangler
Good luck with your new project. There's a ton of lathe vids on youtube but sorting out the good, the bad and the ugly is heavily time-consuming. I've watched a couple on turning wooden casings for pens (biro types where you buy the fittings), that are quite relevant for turning stems.

Let us know how you get on.

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
Good luck with your new project. There's a ton of lathe vids on youtube but sorting out the good, the bad and the ugly is heavily time-consuming. I've watched a couple on turning wooden casings for pens (biro types where you buy the fittings), that are quite relevant for turning stems.

Let us know how you get on.
Yeah man for sure. Yeah I need to weed the bad ones out. I'm excited to start. I had to take a 4 year hiatus and one channel I had was PBS I would watch woodwrights every morning and a couple other shows about wood working and I've always been into art. For some reason I've always felt more accomplished when creating something I can physically hold and use vs a painting, tattooing, drawing etc. I mean you can hold a painting but it's not the same kind of fulfillment as creating a craft to me.

JCat

Accessory Maker
So cool :)

I just got a small CNC router and that's just super cool for doing small intricate detail :)

My main tools that I can't live without are:
- a good table saw (this is the tool that I use more than anything, and after 20 years of use, every time I check the fence, it's still square to the blade within a few thousands of an inch)
- a good router and table
- a trim router
- good chisels
- a decent low angle hand plane
- a jointer and planer if you mill your own lumber (which saves you a ton of money if you can score some trees and get them milled ... I'd say I save 75-85% of the cost of hardwood this way ... only really important for larger projects :) )
- a drill press with a good auxiliary table (the ones on stock drill presses are useless ... )
- some Baltic birch plywood of different thicknesses and t-track with nuts etc for jigs

- .. and of course a compound miter saw is handy too

.... hmmm ... the list seems endless!

A lathe is something I haven't yet gotten into but would like to some day ....

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
So cool :)

I just got a small CNC router and that's just super cool for doing small intricate detail :)

My main tools that I can't live without are:
- a good table saw (this is the tool that I use more than anything, and after 20 years of use, every time I check the fence, it's still square to the blade within a few thousands of an inch)
- a good router and table
- a trim router
- good chisels
- a decent low angle hand plane
- a jointer and planer if you mill your own lumber (which saves you a ton of money if you can score some trees and get them milled ... I'd say I save 75-85% of the cost of hardwood this way ... only really important for larger projects :) )
- a drill press with a good auxiliary table (the ones on stock drill presses are useless ... )
- some Baltic birch plywood of different thicknesses and t-track with nuts etc for jigs

- .. and of course a compound miter saw is handy too

.... hmmm ... the list seems endless!

A lathe is something I haven't yet gotten into but would like to some day ....
What are you making? Wooden signs, furniture, kitchenware? I saw most the tools being used on american woodshop for a lot of decorations n what not.

iDRINKBLEACH,
Reactions: JCat

Planck

believes in Dog
A bandsaw is extremely useful, 14" or larger is possible.
Saw Mill Creek was/is a good website with friendly knowledgeable members.

The tools you need or that would be nice to have really depend on what you want to make. Also your inclination. do you prefer hand tools, power tools, how much effort you are comfortable with etc.
For stems a bandsaw and lathe with tooling, sharpening gear, finishing material is a good fit. Drill press maybe handy.
One doesn't need the most expensive tools but the real cheap stuff is rarely worth the price.

Be warned woodworking can be a deep $ hole.

JCat

Accessory Maker
What are you making? Wooden signs, furniture, kitchenware? I saw most the tools being used on american woodshop for a lot of decorations n what not.
All kinds of things :)

built this for my kitchen recently for my wife :)

the bead board pattern matches the wainscotting on my walls sorta’ tying things together.

766-F6-EE1-F867-4-F96-87-B3-4-E90-F1-AABE75.jpg

and the following is a fancier enclosure for my FC E-Nail (by J-Cat) I’m building

BF3530-EB-235-A-4-E02-A63-E-5-CE90-B409-BBF.jpg

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
LOL, I wish I could offer advice but all the tools in my shop are somewhat miniature... I build [giant] model airplanes.

Whether it is working on molds for composite wings, or framing up a fuselage, I go through LOTS of sand paper and have a good assortment of different shaped sanding blocks (make them yourself to best fit your need).

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
All kinds of things :)

built this for my kitchen recently for my wife :)

the bead board pattern matches the wainscotting on my walls sorta’ tying things together.

and the following is a fancier enclosure for my FC E-Nail (by J-Cat) I’m building

BF3530-EB-235-A-4-E02-A63-E-5-CE90-B409-BBF.jpg
Looks good man, your wife going through the bead board accent wall thing too? I would like to get to that level. The FC enail is coming along.

@FlyingLow I know you love your airplanes, but I never did ask how you got into them to start with reminds me of training Falcons, cool as hell but how does one get introduced to it?

iDRINKBLEACH,

Tranquility

I've always dreamed of retiring and working on wood. The type of things I'd like to make would tend to be small--much like @JCat's box. Small pieces that fit together perfectly is the type of thing I'd most enjoy. I see the joints on a drawer of a well made desk and feel the world can be right, rather than glued and stapled.

How realistic is that to learn without prior skills?

How much wood needs to be thrown out from error before a person might expect to make a box?

I can do a lot of the things I like with a 3D printer. It's just wood speaks in a different way.

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
I think the most important tool for wood working if you practice it often is an air cleaning system:
you do not want to have constantly wood dust in your lungs (if you care about long life and dislike lung cancer)
i lost someone very close to me because of lung cancer, he was an amazing wood worker (not professional though) that adopted a good vacuum system too late. masks are almost useless when you make something as big as this beauty @JCat did (btw is that apple tree wood?)

fuck cancer and fuck painfull death

SonicBacon

Congratulations on getting a lathe. Very exciting stuff. I have a few tips if you care to read them. I know you are asking for tools and I am a bit off topic with safety but sometimes the biggest tool is the one running the machine, I mean no offense by this, but I have often seen things happen due to inattention at the machinery and thought... what a tool.

As for must have tools.

Safety can not be taken seriously enough. I don't want to come across as a nanny or anything but I have seen enough workshop accidents to know they are best to be avoided. These machines spin at a high rate of speed and accidents happen in the blink of an eye (wear safety glasses). I would seriously consider looking for some lathe safety videos before you start anything.

Reqarding the tools. A caliper for measuring the OD of the workpiece and for transferring measurements. Various grits of sandpaper, polishing cloths and beeswax of whatever finish you prefer. Get yourself an apron if you don't already have one. You can get covered from head to toe in wood shavings at times and an apron will help keep things like a pencil, calipers, sandpaper, etc close to hand while also keeping the wood shavings from finding a way down the front of your pants.

Back to the safety stuff. Any long hair or clothing should be tied back, covered up, strapped down, whatever to keep it from getting caught in the rotating machinery. Do not wear gloves for the same reason. Long sleeves can get caught and suck you in to the chuck. Bracelets, necklaces, jewelry etc should be removed including rings.

Ventilation... this one is often overlooked if you are not working in an actual shop environment. An exhaust fan of some sort is highly recommended. A simple box fan in a window might be all you need, depending on the work you are doing but some form of dust control should be considered, even if it is just a shopvac. You will want to avoid sucking down any airborne particles whenever possible so a quality dust mask is a must have imo. As are safety glasses.

I hope all this safety stuff doesn't come across as obnoxious. I just want everyone to keep all their fingers and toes and eyeballs where they are intended to be. I have been to the ER enough times to consider myself qualified by experience.

Finally have fun with your new lathe. The wood turning process is fascinating and you get to turn a piece of nature in to a piece of art, using a process that is almost meditative in practice. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing pictures of your work should you happen to post them.

Cheers.

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
Congratulations on getting a lathe. Very exciting stuff. I have a few tips if you care to read them. I know you are asking for tools and I am a bit off topic with safety but sometimes the biggest tool is the one running the machine, I mean no offense by this, but I have often seen things happen due to inattention at the machinery and thought... what a tool.

As for must have tools.

Safety can not be taken seriously enough. I don't want to come across as a nanny or anything but I have seen enough workshop accidents to know they are best to be avoided. These machines spin at a high rate of speed and accidents happen in the blink of an eye (wear safety glasses). I would seriously consider looking for some lathe safety videos before you start anything.

Reqarding the tools. A caliper for measuring the OD of the workpiece and for transferring measurements. Various grits of sandpaper, polishing cloths and beeswax of whatever finish you prefer. Get yourself an apron if you don't already have one. You can get covered from head to toe in wood shavings at times and an apron will help keep things like a pencil, calipers, sandpaper, etc close to hand while also keeping the wood shavings from finding a way down the front of your pants.

Back to the safety stuff. Any long hair or clothing should be tied back, covered up, strapped down, whatever to keep it from getting caught in the rotating machinery. Do not wear gloves for the same reason. Long sleeves can get caught and suck you in to the chuck. Bracelets, necklaces, jewelry etc should be removed including rings.

Ventilation... this one is often overlooked if you are not working in an actual shop environment. An exhaust fan of some sort is highly recommended. A simple box fan in a window might be all you need, depending on the work you are doing but some form of dust control should be considered, even if it is just a shopvac. You will want to avoid sucking down any airborne particles whenever possible so a quality dust mask is a must have imo. As are safety glasses.

I hope all this safety stuff doesn't come across as obnoxious. I just want everyone to keep all their fingers and toes and eyeballs where they are intended to be. I have been to the ER enough times to consider myself qualified by experience.

Finally have fun with your new lathe. The wood turning process is fascinating and you get to turn a piece of nature in to a piece of art, using a process that is almost meditative in practice. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing pictures of your work should you happen to post them.

Cheers.
No sir I take safety very serious. I'm in the agriculture train loading business and my main work goal is to make it home at the end of the day. I imagine running a lathe would be the same safety precautions as a PTO on a tractor. I always wear safety glasses when there is the slightest chance. I will need to work on the dust, I will admit with my work I can be a bit complacent with grain dust. I have been trying to improve but I will have to carry that on through this craft also.
Thank you man, you have definitely added to my list also.

Tranquility

No sir I take safety very serious. I'm in the agriculture train loading business and my main work goal is to make it home at the end of the day. I imagine running a lathe would be the same safety precautions as a PTO on a tractor. I always wear safety glasses when there is the slightest chance. I will need to work on the dust, I will admit with my work I can be a bit complacent with grain dust. I have been trying to improve but I will have to carry that on through this craft also.
Thank you man, you have definitely added to my list also.
I should probably take this offline, but, how do they deal with the grain dust?

My buddy and I were talking about it the other day after making a flour bomb to show off to his kids for some reason. (I *think* it was for school.) We wondered how they can keep things from getting...interesting...when moving around a lot of grain. At first we thought, maybe, it was from spraying a little water all the time but then reconsidered when thinking about mold and mildew.

So, how do you keep from getting blowed up reel gud?

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
I should probably take this offline, but, how do they deal with the grain dust?

My buddy and I were talking about it the other day after making a flour bomb to show off to his kids for some reason. (I *think* it was for school.) We wondered how they can keep things from getting...interesting...when moving around a lot of grain. At first we thought, maybe, it was from spraying a little water all the time but then reconsidered when thinking about mold and mildew.

So, how do you keep from getting blowed up reel gud?
Grain dust is extremely combustible when you can no longer see 5 feet in front of you. We have fans that suck dust from bins, we have to comply with osha's guidelines and make sure there is no more than a certain amount of dust on any equipment, that amount is about from the bottom of a nickle to his nose. All the lights and heaters around here are non combustible. Once a week we have to go around and measure temps on all the gears. Then most important of all is common sense. I've been doing this work quite some time and have seen people lose limbs from conveyors and trains but have yet, thankfully, to witness a bin fire. There was one a month or so a go a couple hours away. A corn bin I believe and it took 3 days to put it out. Had to cut a hole in it and use machinery to scoop flaming grain out of. Luckily no one was hurt.

f2j

Chaque jour est une chance
That's funny like Vaporizers seem to make people want to work wood. I was in your shoes about 2 years ago. Started by purchasing a table saw (crappy one), that I used to build a combined router/saw table, and so on. I finally bought a lathe a few month ago, with the same desire to turn stems (which I haven't done yet ^^), among other things.

As said SonicBacon, safety comes first. To me, the air filter mask is indispensible, and the face mask too. Glasses may protect your eyes, but when a piece comes out of a chuck at 2000rpm, or when the piece you're turning blows up, it really can have consequences. I wanted something that protects my neck, not only my face, so I bought this and i'm very happy with it.

With the chuck you may want to buy a collection of jaws sets (if not sold with the chuck). I bought my chuck quite recently and have suffured to only have a set of standard jaws. It can be really helpful to have different kind of jaws to accomodate any situation/sizes.

You may also need a drill chuck (with a morse cone, check your lathe specs for the proper morse cone size) to mount on the lathe in order to drill through your stems. It will be more convenient than using a drill press because no centering/squaring issues. If you intend to drill bigger holes on the lathe, forstner bits is what you will need.

Sharpening your tools will be the key for a nice piece finish, so you may want to have a jig for that. If you're in 3D printing, you can find free DIY alternatives to commercial jigs like Oneway's Wolverine/varygrind. I posted one on thingiverse (feel free to PM if needed). A CBN wheel is prefered although not indispensible. So is a slow speed grinder (what you want to avoid is heat when grinding your tools because of the temper).

Have fun and stay safe !

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Looks good man, your wife going through the bead board accent wall thing too? I would like to get to that level. The FC enail is coming along.

@FlyingLow I know you love your airplanes, but I never did ask how you got into them to start with reminds me of training Falcons, cool as hell but how does one get introduced to it?
I was right out of college, between jobs and my Xbox got the ring of death. I saw this video and thought, I can do that!

At the time, I thought this was HUGE! Now I am wringing out planes 2-3 times this size. Warbirds, acrobats, helicopters, jets, multicopters, I can fly it all... I had to learn the hard way. Takeoff, crash, rebuild, repeat. Now there are a lot of simulators and internet videos that can really help new pilots and planes with gyros and computers that practically fly themselves. Check out offerings from Horizon Hobby/Eflite/Parkzone. Great flyers, easy to repair, great support and parts are easy to come by. The addiction comes fast, but so is the learning curve.

...speaking of falconry, I just learned a fly fishing outfitter also offers falconry training and trips! DM for details, I am definitely taking my boy when he is old enough.

For all you aspiring woodworkers and furniture makers, I am about to offer some inspirational persons to follow:

The first furniture that really STOLE my attention was when I discovered David Roentgen and his secretary cabinets and roll top desks. The artistry and mechanics absolutely blew me away... these are from the late 1700's.

Flash forward to year 2020, and there are literally less than a handful of people in the world who have evolved to this level of mastery... in fact, I can only think of ONE person that can work at this level- Crag MuthaFuckin Thibodeau. @ctfinefurniture This guy is KILLIN it! ctfinefurniture.com Follow him, check out his videos on instagram... simply WOW!

And for those looking for more whimsical inspiration, follow One of a Kind Woodworking Creations by Henk Verhoeff on FB. I wish I could get a few of his pieces for my kid's room, but most end up selling for big bucks ($4k and up). He is downright trippy!
87063094_106362930959604_1413151069105553408_n.jpg
87255833_106363427626221_5024453644251037696_n.jpg
87263848_107411214188109_2314334395781087232_o.jpg
87387308_113430440252853_6010715776229572608_o.jpg
118798435_176428617286368_5280529613524495050_o.jpg
125314785_195379232057973_6558878616845006244_o.jpg

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
I think the most important tool for wood working if you practice it often is an air cleaning system:
I agree. I also have a cyclone dust collection system (built this almost 20 years ago ... homemade impeller and vacuum housing and cyclone and everything. It doesn't look real fancy but it pulls a huge volume of air through a 6" hose!)

shop1.jpg

That's some incredible work @FlyingLow ! ... those guys are out of my league! :lol: ... (most are though!)

And here's a couple other pictures of the shop ... I spend a lot of time in here :)

shop2.jpg

shop3.jpg

Edit: And @Andreaerdna , it's all oak. Both the kitchen island and the FC E-Nail. Cut it down myself and had it milled into rough lumber.

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
@f2j I will definitely look at the drill chuck that seems more convenient use for a lot of things I want to do.
@JCat I really should build a ventilation system like that, your work is nice and my wife would love if I could accomplish that. She was amazed by me doing vinyl plank flooring haha.
@FlyingLow that's how I usually get started in hobbies. Yours is quite the interesting hobby you dont see every day. Sadly no fly fishing outfitters around me. When I was in high school I knew a kid who owned a falcon. Seemed like a lot of work and dedication. With how 2020 is so far I sadly have to admit it would not get enough attention from me.

iDRINKBLEACH,
Reactions: f2j

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I have built planes for the last 15 years, but during quarantine I was looking for something fresh and rejuvenating.

I started fly fishing and am hooked, and now am trying to incorporate my love of building with fishing.
I just got a fly tying kit to make my own flies, but really I'd like to try building a nice exotic landing net to keep me busy in the shop.

[pics and inspiration from Bitterroot Nets]
rs=w:600,h:600

Or perhaps a fly box like these:

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
I have built planes for the last 15 years, but during quarantine I was looking for something fresh and rejuvenating.

I started fly fishing and am hooked, and now am trying to incorporate my love of building with fishing.
I just got a fly tying kit to make my own flies, but really I'd like to try building a nice exotic landing net to keep me busy in the shop.

[pics and inspiration from Bitterroot Nets]

Or perhaps a fly box like these:

Those are both really nice looking. I really like the resin work in the net.

iDRINKBLEACH,
Reactions: JCat

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
So I’m just waiting for an answer back from a guys wife, but I think I may have scored a job learning wood working and cnc machine. The owner said it is a yes from him and I couldn’t have asked for a better interview. Hopefully his wife is as friendly as she wasn’t there during it and I didn’t get to swoon her so she can only go from facts and 4 felonies is a hard push most places unless you can win them over face to face.

Top Bottom