• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Winegums' Woodcraft

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
@GreenHopper I did a mock up instead of drawing.
If you imagine the SS sleeve being 2 pieces with male and female threading. The 45' tapered ends fixed to the SS.
S7lkIsz.jpg

Load up the cork and metal rings and screw it all together. The cork would be under compression which should give it a bit of extra strength. As long as it isn't screwed up tight you'd be able to undo it all and swap out the cork when it was past it's best.

This kind of work is beyond me with my current tooling but I'm more than happy to share ideas.
I suppose I could thread a brass tip and SS tubing on one end and use that to compress the whole piece. I might even have the proper die and tap set to make it work.

@GreenHopper

I'll be getting to work on the fret board design soon. I've just been working out how I'm going to do all the steps to completing it. Let me know what you think of the Stinkwood I just posted. It's just as hard, if not harder than rosewood such that you can't mark the wood with your finger nail. I can't wait to see this piece when it's finished.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I suppose I could thread a brass tip and SS tubing on one end and use that to compress the whole piece. I might even have the proper die and tap set to make it work.

@GreenHopper

I'll be getting to work on the fret board design soon. I've just been working out how I'm going to do all the steps to completing it. Let me know what you think of the Stinkwood I just posted. It's just as hard, if not harder than rosewood such that you can't mark the wood with your finger nail. I can't wait to see this piece when it's finished.

It would be awesome if we can get a compression setup with screw on ends as then you could use any number of materials cut into discs. Opens up as whole new bunch of possibilities.

So I like the stinkwood, especially that it's been reclaimed from ship beams, that gives it a history, a story. :nod:

I'm very excited about how it's going and can't wait to see the end result. I think it's gonna rock :rockon:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
It would be awesome if we can get a compression setup with screw on ends as then you could use any number of materials cut into discs. Opens up as whole new bunch of possibilities.
It certainly would open up a whole new range of possibilities. I'll have to look into making a threading system. I really strive to keep all my pieces compatible with as many OE parts as possible so there's a little bit of head scratching needed. I want to keep the condenser tube functionality if at all possible since it keeps things clean inside.

So I like the stinkwood, especially that it's been reclaimed from ship beams, that gives it a history, a story. :nod:

I'm very excited about how it's going and can't wait to see the end result. I think it's gonna rock :rockon:
Yeah my dad got it a long time ago and I'm glad he did since the wood is protected now. I don't feel bad about using it because it's reclaimed from wood that was already used once and not fresh harvested.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
It certainly would open up a whole new range of possibilities. I'll have to look into making a threading system. I really strive to keep all my pieces compatible with as many OE parts as possible so there's a little bit of head scratching needed. I want to keep the condenser tube functionality if at all possible since it keeps things clean inside.

Absolutely agree about keeping things standard, it's got to be easy to reproduce and resolve when issues arise.

I also agree about the condenser tube, I much prefer the designs with the condenser in place, I feel like it would be easier to clean, maintain and it gives a good solid base for the rest of the materials.

I think @phattpiggie's suggestion is where it's at assuming there are a corresponding set of die's/taps out there :bowdown::
It would need a bit more investigation but I think a 10x1 or 10x0.75 thread would do it, with a 10 x 1.5mm wall tube.

Yeah my dad got it a long time ago and I'm glad he did since the wood is protected now. I don't feel bad about using it because it's reclaimed from wood that was already used once and not fresh harvested.

I think the Stinkwood is a great suggestion :tup: I promise I'll continue to protect it for a long time to come:D

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
<insert jaw on the floor emoji here>

I didn't realise you were actually making it tonight, thats awesome!

Thank you very much bud! Can't wait to see how it plays ;)

Great job!:tup:
It's really neat to have an idea on paper and then see it realized right? You made my life easy by having an accurate drawing to work from.

It was a lot of fun making it.

Prolusio

Finally got around to taking some pics of the first Amphora stem I received from @Winegums as well as the figured Claro Walnut stem I just recieved today.

GOktJan.jpg
cDRcwxj.jpg

Very happy with the quality of the items I recieved. The Amphora is very light and smooth; works great as a Vong very even seal! I love turning it around and seeing the grains in each layer. I failed to capture it but there's a side of the Amphora where the grain in the top and bottom pieces of red oak line up but they're separated by all the layers of wood between; looks fantastic. I feel this attention to detail really makes the items I recieved feel like products more so than "some guys hobby".

The Claro Walnut is even better, imo! The added weight from the steel core makes the stem feel more expensive and durable, more "premium". Then you throw in that beautiful wood grain, smoothed and polished to a perfect finish.. hot dayum. Excellent piece. Oh and to top it off it fits perfectly in my Dynastash! I didn't expect to have another option to carry around when I purchased this so that was an awesome surprise.

Great work @Winegums! Keep em coming!

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Oh and to top it off it fits perfectly in my Dynastash! I didn't expect to have another option to carry around when I purchased this so that was an awesome surprise.

Great work @Winegums! Keep em coming!

Wow those stems look better in your photos than mine! Thanks for posting the photos and kind words.

The Walnut stem is a "slim" stem, which is my way of labeling that it will fit in a Dynastash. I thought that it would be nice to have that option for those that use their stash on the go. Speaking of which I'll be posting the slims I finished yesterday on my Etsy tonight.

duff

Well worn
Rushed home because I knew my GH would be back from an RMA and look what else showed up.

My new Steel Core Amphora Stem #1 for Vapcap Ti Standard Length from @Winegums of course.

Ripped it open and immediately reached for the stem.
It is buttery smooth and every angle has a different tone.

I slapped a tip and mouthpiece in and immediately took it for its maiden voyage. It was wonderful.

Easy to twist and fits into my glass perfectly.
I didn't get a carb and I'm pleased with that choice.

Got a tasty hit followed by two big ones.

As I sank into my chair, I picked up the empty packaging and took out a handwritten note thanking me for the purchase.

Thanks @Winegums.
qeqb3a1.jpg

QVKPGCp.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
@duff, I'm glad you're enjoying your stem! It's so cool to see things I've made in the hands of others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I spent today working on improving my work area so that I have better visibility and ergonomics. I cleared my bench that had grinders on it and changed it to my lathe station so that I have more room. I'll be making another batch tomorrow of slim stems in burl, stink, maple, walnut and woods that were generously sent to me from @VapCap.

If anyone is looking for a custom piece don't hesitate to ask. It's always fun hearing what other peoples ideas are.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Wow, you are really turning out some beautiful art and it makes me so happy to hear that @VapCap is giving right back to the community. Much love. Even I get done paying for my trip, I'm getting some stems. :)

Thanks! He sure is growing quite the community around his products.

Here's what I got done today, it's not as much as I was hoping I would but it's something. This is a slim Red Elm stem that is half heart half sap wood down the middle. I don't think this is the prettiest application for elm and will try a different grain orientation tomorrow.

14jawdc.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
To mirror my post in the VaCap thread I experimented with some of the ebony and it's HARD. It machines like metal with 6's and 9's that fly off the lathe. I also much improved the grain direction on the Elm. It really shows the glowing nature of the wood.

I'll be putting up the two Slim Elm stems in my shop tomorrow morning.

9jon41.jpg

I have the tubing on order for @underdog Vapes for those that are looking for WonGs

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I thought I would show everyone the blanks that I have ready for turning. Now is your chance to say if you would like a custom shape turned from any of these. These are all 62mm stems, I will have a batch of 45mm bodies out later next week.

ehx25l.jpg

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I'd just like to say a HUGE THANK YOU to @Winegums for a stunning and lovely custom stem.

Arrived 25.03.17 so very quick delivery.

The FRETBOARD:
miXCQ9W.jpg

lRUi5sG.jpg

rFx252O.jpg

Absolutely delighted with this, the pictures don't do it justice.

It has a really nice weight to it, not too heavy, I can still hold it using only lip strength.

The stinkwood has real character and the nickel rings just zing!

Great job, thank you so very very much. :tup::tup:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I'd just like to say a HUGE THANK YOU to @Winegums for a stunning and lovely custom stem.

Arrived 25.03.17 so very quick delivery.

The FRETBOARD:
miXCQ9W.jpg

lRUi5sG.jpg

rFx252O.jpg

Absolutely delighted with this, the pictures don't do it justice.

It has a really nice weight to it, not too heavy, I can still hold it using only lip strength.

The stinkwood has real character and the nickel rings just zing!

Great job, thank you so very very much. :tup::tup:
That looks great! I'm glad it arrived quickly and safe. It was a real challenge to put together. I'm happy you like it.

The feel of the rings under your fingers when holding it is the coolest part for me. Totally like a mini fret board in feel.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Well, this update isn't what I expected it to be. I had a couple failures today. The first was a laminated stem that had a section of grain blow out on me, and the second was a piece of figured maple being stained by black ebony dust. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can rescue a third piece that also isn't looking so great.

Top Bottom