Why can't I get the same "high" than I used to get?

JBone65

Totally agree!

Guess weed has become “less fun” because of the tolerance….and the routine.

I mean, I was always looking for friday nights to vape, waiting the whole week to have my treat… I always do the same ritual, look for a couple of good LP’s to play in my turntable, heat the V-Tower or the Flowerpot, put my relax chair in position, strategically placed in the sweet spot facing the speakers, turn off the lights and enjoy a couple of hours of music in total darkness while vaping. Amazing experiences for years, enjoyed music as never did before. I also use to vape Saturday nights and watch a live concert in my home cinema while vaping. Man, the first times with weed just felt like if I was there in the concert, first row! :science:

Since a couple of years, I’d also vape occasionally a tuesday, or a wednesday, just to relax and have a good time…

And I did, but you know, it is not a party if it happens everyday……

Miss the effects and the highs I used to have, now I get good highs from time to time, but most sessions is just “OK, is fun and relaxing”.

I have to say that I thought tolerance wouldn’t be a problem, since I don’t use to vape that much, and I have access to all the weed that I want, since I grow it myself. Always thought “I don’t mind about tolerance, since I can always use more weed”, but I guess it doesn’t certainly works that way. I’ve found out that no matter how much weed I use, the high is not better. I use to reach a point, like in 45 minutes, that no matter how much more weed I vape, the high doesn’t grow. I use to feel a more strong effect when dabbing rosin that I make myself, but, since it is a concentrate, guess I reach the “high” faster and maybe a little stronger…. But not that “almost psychedelic“ high I used to get just packing the little screen of my V-Tower (packing the elbow) with like 0.1gr or even less weed.

Guess I should do a serious break and see what happens, or maybe use the Dr. Sulak resensitization process. I would really like to reset my relationship with the weed, and also guess that can not happen if you like to vape 3 or 4 times a week. Maybe a good 1 month break and then keep low dosage.

As I say, weed availability/ quantity is not a problem…. So I guess my tolerance is. To the weed, and also, to the ”set and setting”.

But is also a bummer to sacrifice these “weed and music nights”…. Guess I must find a balance.
I'm
try getting some strain like Ghost Train Haze , or something with these gas-lemon terps maybe (it's also the thc ofc ....) , maybe Super Lemon Haze, or like..even maybe LSD or Mazar, but something that the pheno is super psychadelic high
I can tell you that I've done now around 0.1gr of ghost train haze and it made me close my eyes viewing visions so psychadelic.... it all depends on the pheno. same high as 2004, when i was a noob. damn
I agree with Goldenbud, 666Honeybadger and Invertedisdead.

Imo, most commercial strain clones appear to be missing the all important head buzz. The problem probably includes commercial seeds and refined downstream products like resin. If a weed won't give a head buzz, the resin probably won't either, etc.

I'm guessing the most desirable sativa quality has inadvertently been "bred out" in the process of making "commercially viable hybrids". This is opposed to the widespread view that commercial weed is stronger than ever before, based on THC concentration.

This theory can be confirmed by finding just one bag of good (old style sativa) weed. Unfortunately, that isn't easy to do, even in a flooded market like Oklahoma, but it's undeniable when it happens.

T breaks are excellent, but not likely to result in a good head buzz if the strain isn't capable. T breaks can make the overall effects much more pronounced, but I don't consider T breaks necessary to experience a typical head buzz.

I'm struggling with it, guessing a lot of folks are seeing similar issues, but I don't hear or read anything about it outside this thread. This is the first good discussion I've seen, kinda like a support group. Even here in Ok, where literally thousands of strains are available right now, it's difficult to find enough "special" weed to blend with the rest of my stash. I am able to find excellent head buzz strains occasionally, so I know they exist and that they work great when blended.

I'm hopeful less costly Sungrown weed will soon reverse the trend. We'll see. Hang in there.

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Totally agree!

Guess weed has become “less fun” because of the tolerance….and the routine.

I mean, I was always looking for friday nights to vape, waiting the whole week to have my treat… I always do the same ritual, look for a couple of good LP’s to play in my turntable, heat the V-Tower or the Flowerpot, put my relax chair in position, strategically placed in the sweet spot facing the speakers, turn off the lights and enjoy a couple of hours of music in total darkness while vaping. Amazing experiences for years, enjoyed music as never did before. I also use to vape Saturday nights and watch a live concert in my home cinema while vaping. Man, the first times with weed just felt like if I was there in the concert, first row! :science:

Since a couple of years, I’d also vape occasionally a tuesday, or a wednesday, just to relax and have a good time…

And I did, but you know, it is not a party if it happens everyday……

Miss the effects and the highs I used to have, now I get good highs from time to time, but most sessions is just “OK, is fun and relaxing”.

I have to say that I thought tolerance wouldn’t be a problem, since I don’t use to vape that much, and I have access to all the weed that I want, since I grow it myself. Always thought “I don’t mind about tolerance, since I can always use more weed”, but I guess it doesn’t certainly works that way. I’ve found out that no matter how much weed I use, the high is not better. I use to reach a point, like in 45 minutes, that no matter how much more weed I vape, the high doesn’t grow. I use to feel a more strong effect when dabbing rosin that I make myself, but, since it is a concentrate, guess I reach the “high” faster and maybe a little stronger…. But not that “almost psychedelic“ high I used to get just packing the little screen of my V-Tower (packing the elbow) with like 0.1gr or even less weed.

Guess I should do a serious break and see what happens, or maybe use the Dr. Sulak resensitization process. I would really like to reset my relationship with the weed, and also guess that can not happen if you like to vape 3 or 4 times a week. Maybe a good 1 month break and then keep low dosage.

As I say, weed availability/ quantity is not a problem…. So I guess my tolerance is. To the weed, and also, to the ”set and setting”.

But is also a bummer to sacrifice these “weed and music nights”…. Guess I must find a balance.

See, my view is very different.

I tend to dislike the period after I've had some kind of a t-break because I dislike when cannabis gets me so high that I can't function. I always have to use large amounts and have to get too high too often just to get my tolerance back in check. I never look forward to that period.

But I don't use cannabis as some major treat after a long week. I use it more as a daily norm. I like to maintain a steady high throughout the day on most days.

I sometimes want to get very high on a day off work or something, and I do that...but I'm not expecting something psychedelic out of my cannabis. If I want that, then I take a psychedelic drug.

Last edited:

JBone65

Here's a couple of additional reasons that might tend to explain why I prefer a blend over individual strains.
:horse:

Continuity - Switching strains every so often isn't always pleasant for me. It can be disappointing if the next strain looks great but lacks a head buzz, or even just tastes different. If using small bits of ounces from inventory to create a blend, maybe only one component provides the head buzz, so I should have enough leftover to recreate the same or similar blend multiple times.

Efficiency - It's a way I can use strains I shouldn't have bought. I blend slightly unsatisfying (but overall good) weed with satisfying weed. It doesn't take much good stuff and it all somehow seems more enjoyable.

Better overall buzz - Individual strains often have 1-2 dominant terpenes with 4-6 present. Mixing 4-5 strains results in a much wider terpene spectrum. Maybe there will be 12-15 different terpenes with none dominant (that's up to the mad scientist). It's a different, deeper, heavier effect, with or without the ideal head buzz. It makes me kinda wobbly, like a distortion in the space/time continuum. :smug:

TheFatBastard

I’ve tried / experienced a lot of strains, but I guess my “lack of good highs” is more related to the tolerance / experience. Set and setting becomes rutinary (listening to music in the dark, for example), so your perception becomes used to it and makes the experience less enjoyable.

Gonna go back when I only used to vape saturdays, and maybe a friday. Let’s ser how it goes.

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Set and setting becomes rutinary (listening to music in the dark, for example)

Hey man, maybe try to change the music? ;)
A personal suggestion:

Take your time, sit back and let it unfold! Great session!
Edit: changed the link, not the one i wanted to share...
Second Edit: changed again, now it's the right link... This is the one i was looking for... Finally... third time lucky i guess!

Last edited:

CANtalk

I’ve tried / experienced a lot of strains, but I guess my “lack of good highs” is more related to the tolerance / experience. Set and setting becomes rutinary (listening to music in the dark, for example), so your perception becomes used to it and makes the experience less enjoyable.

Gonna go back when I only used to vape saturdays, and maybe a friday. Let’s ser how it goes.
Yes! Give it some time, don't bust out huge amounts when you jump back in, enjoy the trip:science: :evil:, see where it goes and adjust bit by bit from there.

HAF on my first time vaping this Friday eve since last Sunday afternoon so sorry for any grammar/spelling issues. .. I guess I garbled a bit of my last post last Friday too :lol:.

I've mixed strains, but my faves are single batch quality fresh strong sativas. I now save the strain mixing for when the batches get 2+ years old (moisture packet mason jar storqt3 really keeps the terps going for a long long time!).

We've bonded before on music and cannabis and I'm right there with ya :love:. I have a few big investment systems here at home, 2 channel and home theatre. Use them almost every day. And another older one in the garage, with a highly used back yard zone as well :luv:.

I think you're going to bring back the magic, cheers :tup:

:peace: :leaf:

JBone65

High Times: CRAFT: The Beating Heart of the Cannabis Industry.

Interesting High Times article about how highly qualified independent craft growers have been pushed aside in some markets by devious business types. According to the article, commercial weed quality 'goes to shit' when politicians and other criminal insiders use legal loopholes to stifle competition and dominate markets.

Last edited:

JBone65

Wanted to bump the thread.

Mixed a new blend from my frozen stash. Ground 5 x 1/4 ozs together. It's different every time but got a great result with a really fine flavor. This batch will last 2-3 months and I can mix it again if desired. This continuity helps me remain satisfied. It takes me several days to adjust to a change in the best case.

Despite being happy with the stash, I'm not getting the same "high" I used to get. Used to experience a "release" of sorts. Starting straight and getting stoned often led to a confused head buzz. What I feel today is probably tempered by experience, wisdom, feelings of mortality, spirituality, etc.

Could it be that weed doesn't create feelings or problems, maybe it exposes what's already (currently) there. Maybe those giddy confused feelings were a reflection of my intellectual state. 🫢

My brother had issues with anxiety every time he tried weed. I finally convinced him it's not the weed, to face it and learn to handle it. He's still an idiot but he's doing better...... Can the same weed cause anxiety & panic attacks in some and laughing attacks in others?:hmm:

Vaping ~0.5g of super strong blend daily ensures that I will stay stoned, 100% in maintenance mode. I'm not getting the same high as before but I crave it and like it just as much.:smug:

Does anyone know the record for the oldest living weed head? I'm going for it. :myday: :leaf:

Edit: This thread has caused me to think of the different aspects of "high". I used the please "head buzz" but there potentially are a wide range of cerebral effects like dazed and confused, paranoid, anxious, a laughing idiot, etc. Maybe the effect is a reflection to some degree.

Last edited:

arefx

If I want to get high like that again I need to quit smoking for a couple months, but that's not something I really ever do.

I have an extremely high tolerance but was addicted to alcohol and wanted to quit. I did medical detox and also abstained from alcohol for 4 months while I was adjusting to life without alcohol. When I did smoke again I took two little puffs and felt like I was damn near tripping. (6 and a half years since I've drank btw)

Some people can take a day or two off or limit usage for a few days and lower their tolerance but the only thing that ever worked for me was a long break

Siebter

Less soul, more mind

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too reading your story. I understand why most replies refer to strains, terpene profiles, t breaks and devices, but to me the most interesting thing is that you try to replicate a very specific sensation from the past. I *love* music and so I love getting lost in music while being stoned, but that has never been a thing that I was able to experience whenever I want. It always comes out of nowhere. Some things are easy to replicate, for example cannabis always increases my munchies. But those psychedelic highs are rare, *especially* when you want them to appear at your command.

My recommendation would be to change the setting radically. Nowadays I get those very deep highs for example when having a long run or watching a documentary about supermassive black holes. Maybe one of your devices allow you to hit it while having a walk in a park and listening to the unexpected sounds of birds instead of a tune you know by heart anyway. For me a cannabis experience is very sensitive to those settings and monotonous replication will decrease its effects.

GoldenBud

i just hope people here sometimes get psychadelic buds, i have just seen visuals with my eyes closed vaporizing at 470f with fast draws with the tetra, fast hits with the right buds really give pleasent psychadelic experience, how much i've missed it, and it came to visit.. gth for the win, still mising super lemon haze strain which is more 100% lemon other lemon-gas
@Siebter in your case you're doing a lot of sport too, it can reduce the tolerance hence you can get higher maybe? everyone is different for sure after all

yeah the GTH definately puts me back to 2010 when the swaggy strong flippy weed were here, psychadelic buds rock

Last edited:

stuey

i just hope people here sometimes get psychadelic buds, i have just seen visuals with my eyes closed vaporizing at 470f with fast draws with the tetra, fast hits with the right buds really give pleasent psychadelic experience, how much i've missed it, and it came to visit.. gth for the win, still mising super lemon haze strain which is more 100% lemon other lemon-gas
@Siebter in your case you're doing a lot of sport too, it can reduce the tolerance hence you can get higher maybe? everyone is different for sure after all

yeah the GTH definately puts me back to 2010 when the swaggy strong flippy weed were here, psychadelic buds rock
Isnt combustion at 450f?

Siebter

Less soul, more mind

Oh, good question, I actually don't really know if or how exercising regularly affects our tolerance. I mean having a session after a hard workout is a really really nice thing for sure. But then again, I usually have a session right before a workout too, so it's hard to say how it makes a difference. :-)

DrJynx86

Probably not scientific enough but I would argue that having less body fat mean less resistance and/or less time to get through a tolerance break because your body will definitely have less stored THC in general.

For me having the first biggest high ever is probably not possible through a vape like the SOLO, specially because my first high was through smoking joints, but I'm sure dabbing after a small break has almost the same brain exploding effect.

DrJynx86,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@DrJynx86 – I found a study from 2014 that seems to answer that question: → Can Physical Exercise or Food Deprivation Cause Release of Fat-Stored Cannabinoids?

It doesn't really seem so. The study also refers to another study done with rats that found statistically significant increases in THC levels when given a hormone that increases lipolysis, but those were very small.

To summarize, neither exercise at moderate intensity for 45 min. nor 24-hr food deprivation caused significant elevations in blood or urine cannabinoid levels in our six human subjects. Our results are in accordance with data from a similar study 13, where only slight and transient THC plasma elevations were noted during exercise, and none during fasting. We conclude that exercise and fasting in regular cannabis users are unlikely to cause sufficient concentration changes to hamper interpretation in drug testing programmes.
But:
Thirdly, all study participants were in the lower range of BMI and hence did not have much excess body fat. Future studies should attempt to include obese cannabis users, who in theory should be more sensitive to redistribution phenomena. It may be of interest to assess effects of other types of physical exercise, such as interval training, contact sports or long-distance running. It would also be interesting to measure the effect of rapid weight loss, or decreased food intake for more than 24 hr.

arefx

Probably not scientific enough but I would argue that having less body fat mean less resistance and/or less time to get through a tolerance break because your body will definitely have less stored THC in general.

For me having the first biggest high ever is probably not possible through a vape like the SOLO, specially because my first high was through smoking joints, but I'm sure dabbing after a small break has almost the same brain exploding effect.

As a skinny person when I detoxed from alcohol I also stopped using cannabis for 6 months. I was voluntarily going to a rehab program 2x a week and was drug tested. The weed stayed in my system for like 4 and a half months before I pissed clean from THC. I'm 6'3” and weighed around 155lbs at the time.

DrJynx86

Reading some posts before speaking about "strain fatigue" made me think about vaping the same thing for the past 4 or 5 years, all clones of the same mom that I kept alive since 2018 and she was a clone before.

Now I will try for the first time ever the offspring of mom and a STSd hermied clone, I hope there is some phenotypes variation, still no flowers but plants do look all the same, very consistent looking.

It's supposed to be an OG Kush, so not the best for anxiety etc but I'm hoping to be able to pick one of the best plants now and breed that with a high CBD strain for the next seed harvest season.

cvs8floz

I manage to get high off my own weed every night using the Flowerpot, I only consume nights and the timer in my Auber is set to 3 hours, I normally reset it once but then typically fall asleep before it turns off again. I try to have at least 8-10 strains on hand and prefer the 50/50 strains, I typically mix 2-3 strains together always using some newer and some older material mostly for taste. I consume 1-2 grams a night and don't take the material super dark. I have tried concentrates, I see the attraction, the clean taste, the big clouds, but in the end, they all taste fake to me and I hate that smoldering smell after you take a hit. The first 3-4 bowls of the night are the most enjoyable, they make me happy, outgoing and talkative. After that, I tend to get sleepy and at some point, it doesn't make sense to continue using because the effects are dull and the lungs are tired, so I just go to bed. Repeat the next night.

GoldenBud

fat/obese people definately will be more 'addicted' (still very easy to fight/cure these side effects from not being able to use THC) to THC than skinny people...more fat is stored, more THC is sticked to it, exactly. 25+ lbs is gone since November and keeping it up!

JBone65

fat/obese people definately will be more 'addicted' (still very easy to fight/cure these side effects from not being able to use THC) to THC than skinny people...more fat is stored, more THC is sticked to it, exactly. 25+ lbs is gone since November and keeping it up!
I'm guessing more body fat means more stored THC and probably more time to pass a urinalysis. Still I'm guessing everybody goes thru the same irritable phase on day 2 of a T break. Is there a definite T break duration, as a function of BMI?

It's probably true that you have to quit long enough to forget how good it is to be surprised when you finally break down and do it.

I'm gonna get another fucking hit right now!:myday::evil:

DrJynx86

I hope I never have to do another t-break, but shit happens :shrug:
As a self-medicated person that lost half his stock because a damn thieve stole my ready to harvest plants, I have to say that while forcefully going to a break when consuming actually does good in many senses, I fully agree, I hope I never have to do another t-break. I keep planting more and more to avoid this situations.

It's like taking away the meds for a mental patient, and say to them hey in 60 days I will give them back, tell me if you get better.

Edited for clarity :D

Last edited:

TheFatBastard

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too reading your story. I understand why most replies refer to strains, terpene profiles, t breaks and devices, but to me the most interesting thing is that you try to replicate a very specific sensation from the past. I *love* music and so I love getting lost in music while being stoned, but that has never been a thing that I was able to experience whenever I want. It always comes out of nowhere. Some things are easy to replicate, for example cannabis always increases my munchies. But those psychedelic highs are rare, *especially* when you want them to appear at your command.

My recommendation would be to change the setting radically. Nowadays I get those very deep highs for example when having a long run or watching a documentary about supermassive black holes. Maybe one of your devices allow you to hit it while having a walk in a park and listening to the unexpected sounds of birds instead of a tune you know by heart anyway. For me a cannabis experience is very sensitive to those settings and monotonous replication will decrease its effects.

I totally agree with you.

I did a 5 day break (not vaping until friday since last sunday) which is my usual behaviour when not on holidays, and the high is not as good as I expected / used to be.

I’ve been vaping while listening to music in the dark for almost 2 years, and the experience was very enjoyable, specially the first months… but I guess now I’m very used to it and now the experience is not that amusing, I even get “bored” sometimes, and also, the high doesn’t feel that good, probably because of that “boring”.

I LOVE when I vape after a good workout, specially a long run. Exercize triggers a release of dopamine and serotonin, and if you sume that to a nice vaping session just after finishing exercizing and a nice shower, it makes you feel really good and the high is very enjoyable. I’ve been exercizing my whole life, indeed, is one of the ways I control my anxiety.

The thing is I really want to bring back the “music in the dark” experience, I miss it and I usually chase the dragon, but the nice experience / high only comes from time to time, so I guess I’ll have to experience new ways of enjoying my vape sessions and space these music sessions.

Top Bottom